Series I can use as source material

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Series I can use as source material

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:36 am

For my long-term crossover fan-fiction writing goals, I'm hoping to expand the series that I own; preferably manga, since it's easier to reference. I already have a few in mind that I plan (or am in the process) to get (Cardcaptor Sakura, Magic Knight Rayearth, Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, and I'm still trying to complete Tokyo Mew Mew), and then there are a few that I'm not interested in for various reasons (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, and Negima). It's the series that I know of but not much about, or don't know at all, that I'm interested in. I'm looking for recommendations, and I'll likely ask for "spoilers" so I can figure out how promising they are. If the answers seem too spoilerific to post, there's always PMs.

To start things off with: Girls Bravo, since I've seen that crossed over with Ranma 1/2 only once, as far as I know. I've watched the anime, but not much about Seiren is explored. Is the manga any different?

Series that don't need to be recommended (aside from the obvious and those mentioned above) are:

Aa! Megami-sama!
Dragon Half
To Love-Ru
Slayers
Hayate no Gotoku
Tenchi Muyo
Angelic Layer
Futaba-kun Change
Galaxy Angel
Magical project S
Stray Little Devil
Hime-chan no Ribbon
Shugo Chara
Gold Digger

Series up for consideration:

Fairy Tail
Zero no Tsukaima
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Magic Knight Rayearth
Cardcaptor Sakura
Tokyo Mew Mew
Girls Bravo
Escaflowne
Silent Mobius
Strawberry Panic!
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Miyuki-chan in Wonderland
Excel Saga
Kämpfer
Cutie Honey
El Hazard
Maburaho
R.O.D.
Last edited by Crescent Pulsar R on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Series I can use as source material

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Girls Bravo is rather 'meh' in my opinion. Very boring compared to some other harem manga like To Love-Ru.

As for recommendations you have to be more specific. I've read thousands of manga and there are quite a lot I like. If it's only for crossovers material you have to tell us what you want to cross them with. Ranma? Or some other series too?
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:15 pm

Ranma 1/2. I'll be interested in anything that has something I can work with.

I don't much care for Girls Bravo as a whole myself, but Seiren has possibilities. For instance, if I crossed over Ranma 1/2 with both Girls Bravo and Magical Project S, then Earth would have two invisible moons/planets, Seiren and Juraihelm. There's bound to be something that can be done with that, with or without Sailor Moon.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:Ranma 1/2. I'll be interested in anything that has something I can work with.

I don't much care for Girls Bravo as a whole myself, but Seiren has possibilities. For instance, if I crossed over Ranma 1/2 with both Girls Bravo and Magical Project S, then Earth would have two invisible moons/planets, Seiren and Juraihelm. There's bound to be something that can be done with that, with or without Sailor Moon.

heh... if you like series with magical hidden moons, but want something quite a bit more serious and violent... Escaflowne has one.

I thought Girls Bravo had promise... but intensely disliked the final canon pairings.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:55 pm

It's been a very long time since I've seen Escaflowne... But I think it could be workable. Seiren, Juraihelm and Gaea...
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Yanky-kun to Megane-chan, could be crossed with Ranma in interesting way.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:16 pm

I don't know about that one...
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:24 pm

Well if you really want to go the whole hidden moon/world thing Silent Mobius would make perfect sense for your purposes.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:28 pm

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi would be a nice choice.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:I don't know about that one...

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=10829
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:30 pm

I know that much about it, but someone like me can't think of why it would be good to write a Ranma 1/2 crossover with it just from that and what I read at Wikipedia.

frice2000 wrote:Well if you really want to go the whole hidden moon/world thing Silent Mobius would make perfect sense for your purposes.

There is that, I suppose. Although to go with more than Ranma 1/2, in order to include the other moons/planets, the setting would likely require a lot of work...

Dumbledork wrote:History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi would be a nice choice.

I understand, on the surface of it, why it would be workable... But is the story very protagonist-centric?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Well anything where you take more then two series and try to make them work together usually results in...problems. Would be neat to see a whole bunch of representatives from like 10 hidden moon/planets all being pissed off that they aren't special though.

Or you could go another way and explain them coming from a close orbit Oort cloud body that's in the orbit of the Suns theoretical brown dwarf companion (which also strikes me as a fun possible SM Senshi idea now that I think of it).
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Hmmm... I liked the series called Princess Lover, and I've not seen any fan fiction at all using it, let alone crossovers.

Mostly lighthearted harem comedy. A person beliving himself lower class suddenly being dragged into the world of the ultrarich and acquiring fiancees after saving a princess and his parents getting murdered.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:10 pm

By the sound of it, I'm reminded of Maids versus Butlers and Fortune Arterial, and at least with the latter there are some possibilities, so... I'll have to check out an episode or two (or more, if I think it's decent) of Princess Lover and see what there is to work with.

frice2000 wrote:Well anything where you take more then two series and try to make them work together usually results in...problems. Would be neat to see a whole bunch of representatives from like 10 hidden moon/planets all being pissed off that they aren't special though.

Or you could go another way and explain them coming from a close orbit Oort cloud body that's in the orbit of the Suns theoretical brown dwarf companion (which also strikes me as a fun possible SM Senshi idea now that I think of it).

I was thinking something along those lines, though not about the currently-dubbed "Tyche." (I figure it's easier to say how they exist by being in orbit around the Earth, which is a pleasant distance from the sun.) At the very least it seems like a fun idea to have other satellites around the Earth that may contest any desire that a certain princess/queen of the moon may have in regard to assuming any kind of dominion over it.
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:45 am

It would be interesting indeed to see those other powers fighting against domination by the Lunar court especially if they aren't 'evil' just to see how the Senshi react versus that kind of pressure. And I wasn't referring to Tyche which has been largely discredited was referring to the Nemesis theory which keeps gaining new legs and is obviously an awesome name for a Senshi. Add the fact that Brown dwarfs are theoretically immortal and much fun and inspiration could be had with a fanon senshi using powers from such a star.

From a SM cross perspective and referring to a western non-animated show I've thought for awhile it'd be neat to see Stargate SG-1 crossed with SM with the two sides as antagonists. But for one of Ozz's stories and a aborted arc in Weebee's Contrast Match where the two sides were friendly said cross is almost non-existent, and I've never seen them fight one another. The contradictory philosophies and all the siginifigant problems a super powerful space faring set of countries would make for the Senshi could make for some very intriguing conflict. I've thought a cute way of doing that would be for the great ice disaster and waiting for it to happen...Only for it not to because the SGC dealt with whatever it was easily and without fuss with one of their battle cruisers. Then the two sides get into a very antagonistic relationship. Probably couldn't be a overly long story and you'd really have to twist the two series perspective canon's a lot but that sounds very fun to me if you're just looking for a group that could also declare ownership as it were of the solar system and beyond. A scene of NORAD under assault by magical girls in fuku's dodging bullets while Samantha Carter figures out how to block planetary mana taps tickles my interest. Hell could even have the conflict early that the Gate wormhole being open temporarily blocks their powers because of some sort of interference. Someone needs to make that happen damn it!
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Anime / Manga