What do you think of One Piece

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

What do you think of One Piece

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:48 pm

As I've lately gotten very much into the series of One Piece (as in, watched the first 300 episodes in a span of four months) and there's been a discussion like this on Dragonball Z, I decided to start a forum in regards to people's opinion of One Piece.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Re: What do you think of One Piece

Postby Cheb » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:54 pm

It's so awesome that you cannot write fanfics for it, because no fanfic author is a match for Eiichiro Oda's sheer insanity.
Indeed, I haven't ever seen a good fanfic for OP, nor there are good crossovers.
Particularly, all Ranma crosses were done bad. :(
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Oh, I don't know about that; I recall this one crossover with Naruto that I thought was mildly amusing. Don't know when it was last updated, though. The good fics are there; it just takes a little digging (joke not intended) to find.

At any rate, I like it for the most part. There's enough humor for me to satisfy my funny bone, and enough action for me to get my nerves revved up. It was kinda difficult for me to sit through the Amazon Lily portion of the story...

SPOILER - Show Spoiler
(and some of the chapters following Ace and Whitebeard's deaths, obviously)

...though, for the usual reasons.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Quickshot0 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:57 am

I don't remember ever seeing good One Piece fanfiction, though admittedly I haven't really looked for it. Still, it should be a universe that allows for some crazy things I guess.
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 am

The voices for the Eglish dub are so bad I can't watch it, though it was a lot more interesting to read. There is a lot of potential for craziness because you can give anyone any power you can think of through a devil fruit, and every single one of them has the same weakness that is almost never intentionally exploited: nobody who has eaten one of the fruits can swim. In a series set primarily on the ocean, you would think this would come up more often. The thing is, the way it is written relies so heavily on visual gags that it doesn't translate well to pure text format. I haven't seen any fanfics for this series at all, so I don't know of any good or bad ones.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:36 am

I absolutely love One Piece. One of the best manga of all time. The anime is great too although the latest arc reminds me a bit of DBZ when I look at the length of the scenes.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:30 pm

The voices for the Eglish dub are so bad I can't watch it, though it was a lot more interesting to read.

Funimation, 4Kids, or both? The former is a vast improvement over the latter.

Dumbledork wrote:I absolutely love One Piece. One of the best manga of all time. The anime is great too although the latest arc reminds me a bit of DBZ when I look at the length of the scenes.

This is in part because nowadays, one chapter more or less equals one episode. The whole Marineford thing was a large-scale battle, too, so there's a lot of stuff going on.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Quickshot0 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:09 am

So that's how they are mostly avoiding having to make a lot of filler?
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Unless I've missed something, yeah. And from what I understand they're using the anime to add some details here and there to stuff in the manga, such as Kidd and Trafalgar's fight against the Pacifista robot.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Konsaki » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:29 pm

They have had a few filler arcs in the anime, like the #8 Base (which was done extreemly well IMO) and the whole mercenary family where the dad's a flaming bastard on an icesheet (which was extreemly retarded). But Wildcat is correct in the fact that they do try to keep a 1:1 ratio of sorts and sometimes they just don't produce any new anime when the manga takes a hiatus, like it is right now.
Konsaki
Asteroid Senshi

Return to Anime / Manga