General Anime Questions

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

General Anime Questions

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:04 am

Seeing as how I started a topic like this in the Ranma section, and it saves me constantly making topics to ask relatively simple questions, I figured I'd make this. To open, I have some questions related to Project A-ko.

*Are the Leptons really an all-female race, or is it just that their military is female?

*Are the A-ko and B-ko of the Vs. OAVs parallel versions of the original A-ko and B-ko, or are they older versions? The OAVs themselves point towards parallel versions, what with a scene from the first movie and a glimpse of the 'schoolgirl' 'kos appearing in the Talho sector, but the OAV profiles claim that they're grown up versions of the originals.

*What are the parallel versions of A-ko, B-ko and C-ko seen after Vs. C-ko snaps back to her senses and screams at the other two to stop fighting?

And on a different subject, here's a question from Trigun; I've heard that Vash and his kind are referred to as Plants, and that they aren't human. Is the name actually what they are (that is, they're sentient humanoid vegetation), or is the name an ironic moniker because they can be used to provide energy ("power plants")?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:20 pm

Funny, I thought that someone could have answered my Trigun question at least...

Alright, some questions from Cowboy Bebop:
*How is it that Wyn is impervious to damage in Sympathy for the Devil? I can get why he's eternal from having his circadian rhythm screwed up (his cell structure is basically frozen), and I could buy him regenerating any damage, but how can he get caught in a massive explosion and walk away without a single scratch? Especially seeing as how he gouted blood earlier in the episode when Spike shot him in the head with a normal bullet.

*Exactly what was done to Tongpu in the episode Pierrot le Fou that made him immune to bullets?

*The movie introduces nanites as a weapon (if memory serves, Vincent is alive but insane because he's got some other kind of nanite in his system that prevents infection), but is it possible that other uses for nanites exist or are being studied in the Bebop universe?

*Did the Gate Accident destroy all of Earth's moon, or did it just blow a chunk out of it? If the latter, is the remainder of the moon still intact, or did the structural damage cause it to collapse some time after the initial explosion?

*Finally, what kind of cybernetics could exist in the Bebop universe? Spike's right eye is an almost indistinguishable implant, which I think has been theorized to help him with aiming, and Jet's left arm is an obvious replacement, but what other kinds of implant and prosthetic might exist?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:40 pm

I don't recall them ever saying what Vash's race is called in the Anime. We are told that he's the same as the beings kept in the Plants, but that's not the name of the race. Most people aren't even aware there is a living being within the Plants.

As for A-ko...only thing I remember is my father telling me A-ko was the daughter of Superman and Wonderwoman.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: General Anime Questions

Postby lwf58 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:12 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Seeing as how I started a topic like this in the Ranma section, and it saves me constantly making topics to ask relatively simple questions, I figured I'd make this. To open, I have some questions related to Project A-ko.

*Are the Leptons really an all-female race, or is it just that their military is female?

Supposedly, the civilization is all female.

*Are the A-ko and B-ko of the Vs. OAVs parallel versions of the original A-ko and B-ko, or are they older versions? The OAVs themselves point towards parallel versions, what with a scene from the first movie and a glimpse of the 'schoolgirl' 'kos appearing in the Talho sector, but the OAV profiles claim that they're grown up versions of the originals.

Vs. is alternate universe; no relation to the original.

*What are the parallel versions of A-ko, B-ko and C-ko seen after Vs. C-ko snaps back to her senses and screams at the other two to stop fighting?

Here's a quote:

Gail, the charismatic leader of the space pirates, intends to use C-ko's body as a host for the spirit of Xena, a long-dead sorceress. Although Gail believes that Xena will "purify" the universe, he is oblivious to her true motive — to annihilate all universes and create a new one in which she is the absolute ruler. The final showdown occurs in the Talho sector, where Xena begins to merge all existing universes into one. This features A-ko and B-ko fighting each other in a variety of different eras and locations, including the climatic battle of the first movie. This seems to suggest that the two are always destined to battle.

And on a different subject, here's a question from Trigun; I've heard that Vash and his kind are referred to as Plants, and that they aren't human. Is the name actually what they are (that is, they're sentient humanoid vegetation), or is the name an ironic moniker because they can be used to provide energy ("power plants")?

It's not clearly defined in the anime, but in the manga, it's shown that they are humanoid, intelligent vegetation. At the end of the manga series, Knives (Vash's brother) literally turns into a tree.

It's something I've always been a little disappointed about; I consider that "intelligent plant" business completely uncalled for and a plot weakness in an otherwise very good series.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:31 am

Thank you for the answers, though for my question about the parallel Akos and Bkos was "what parallel versions of Ako and Bko appear". For example, one 'dimension' showcases a mature version of Bko with a baby Ako, apparently her daughter, strapped to her back.

Anyway, some more Bebop questions:
*What's the music that starts playing after Spike dumps the fridge in Toys in the Attic?

*What is that bird that Vicious keeps as a pet in earlier episodes? It looks something like a crow, and something like a heron. Is it some kind of 'xenoform' (Ganymede Sea Rat & Rock Lobster etc) or some unique breed?

*The floating "Plants" on Venus; are they really plant-forms, terraforming plants, or both simultaneously?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:12 am

Was just wondering; what's the heavy metal song that gets played in Heavy Metal Queen? Sounds almost like an Iron Maiden song...

How did Jet lose his arm due to getting shot, anyway?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Drawde » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:42 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:How did Jet lose his arm due to getting shot, anyway?

I believe the one who shot him used a large caliber rifle. There probably wasn't much left of the arm after getting hit.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:45 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Was just wondering; what's the heavy metal song that gets played in Heavy Metal Queen? Sounds almost like an Iron Maiden song...

It's called "Live in Baghdad", and is on the second OST, No Disc. It was written by Yoko Kanno and played by The Seatbelts, a studio band she put together specifically to record the soundtrack music for Cowboy Bebop. If you don't understand the lyrics... it's no wonder that you didn't. While the lyrics are English, the singer has a very heavy Japanese accent and the words themselves are nonsensical.

ever eaten crabtree?
missing in the wanting
any else comb tease?
missing in the wanting

Chaka Khan, canine
tell us, cold eel
can you have an eye out?
tell us, oh dear

ever on a phone tree?
missing since the fourteenth
Annie has cow cheese
missing in the wanting

Shanghai, canine
tell us, cold eel
Can you have an eye out?
tell us, oh dear

on this, by this
bend this, shin this
I don't intend to be so bold
B&B, if only I had money

E-X-U-P
E-X-U-P
E-X-U-P
E-X-U-P

ever eaten crabtree?
missing in the wanting
any else comb tease?
missing in the wanting

Chaka Khan, canine
tell us, cold eel
can you have an eye out?
tell us, oh dear

on this, by this
bend this, shin this
I don't intend to be so bold
B&B, if only I had money

E-X-U-P
E-X-U-P

on this, by this
bend this, shin this
B&B, if only I had money

ever eaten crabtree?
missing in the wanting
any else comb tease?
missing in the wanting

Chaka Khan, canine
tell us, cold eel
can you have an eye out?
lay out, oh dear

on this, by this
bend this, shin this
B&B, if only I had money

E-X-U-P
E-X-U-P
E-X-U-P
excuse me
lwf58
Site Master

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:00 pm

...Whoa. I hadn't the faintest clue. The music just sounded like Iron Maiden, I had no idea it was a custom-brewed song.

Anyway, new question: I've heard that there's evidence that allows one to place the Cowboy Bebop movie as chronologically taking place between episodes 22 (Cowboy Funk) and 23 (Brain Scratch)- can anyone tell me what the evidence is? One thing I know of is that Big Shot is still airing, whereas it was cancelled in Brain Scratch due to lack of ratings.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby lwf58 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Regarding "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"....

Some people have speculated that it is set between episodes 22 and 23 since "Bigshot" is still on the air, the main trio are alive and Ed and Ein are on Earth.
lwf58
Site Master

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:47 pm

I recently found out about the anime "Pumpkin Scissors" and I'm interested. Does anyone know when/if it will be dubbed and released for the Australian market?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:29 am

I just finished watching the Excel Saga anime, and I have a few questions.

Firstly, in episode 25, Ilpalazzo displays psychokinesis, super-strength, debateably shadow-manipulation (given the antics of his other self) and nigh-invulnerability (or at least a psychokinetic shield). I know that the anime and manga are effectively unrelated continuities, but I was wondering: I know that in the manga, Ilpalazzo is a survivor of the lost civilisation of Solaria, but what parahuman powers does he have in that continuity?

Secondly, episodes 24 & 25 make it clear that Ilpalazzo has multiple personalities, but is this hinted at in any of the earlier episodes?

Next, outside of the Christmas episode, where it contains crocodiles, and the opening credits, has The Pit ever had actual creatures in it? Or is that a manga-only gag?

When has Excel died outside of episodes 1 and 23?

Precisely which branch of the Gundam multiverse is being parodied in episode 22?

Outside of "rule of funny", could there be any explanations why the super-powered Ilpalazzo was content to simply sit on his arse in his fancy chair and let Excel & Hyatt do all the work? Especially seeing as how they were not only incompetent, but he probably could have conquered the city on his own if he'd actually bothered? I mean, I know that the reason why it didn't happen was because it's funny for someone so powerful to be so lazy/foolish, I was just wondering if there could be other "explanations".

Finally, is Tetsuko's gender supposed to be ambigous, or is Tetsuko supposed to be a woman with a masculine voice & physique (at least in the mask and concealing robes s/he wears up until the death scene)? Come to think of it, doesn't one episode specifically refer to Tetsuko as being a "she"?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:45 pm

Not strictly accurate to the topic, but I figured it was simple enough to ask here. Does anyone know when Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 is due for release in Australia?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Kilich » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:51 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Outside of "rule of funny", could there be any explanations why the super-powered Ilpalazzo was content to simply sit on his arse in his fancy chair and let Excel & Hyatt do all the work? Especially seeing as how they were not only incompetent, but he probably could have conquered the city on his own if he'd actually bothered? I mean, I know that the reason why it didn't happen was because it's funny for someone so powerful to be so lazy/foolish, I was just wondering if there could be other "explanations".

I think he sits and does nothing, because taking over the city is only a game he plays with Kabapu from Department of City Security. As I remember, in manga, they even switched places once, because it was Kabapu's turn to run ACROSS.
Kilich
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:56 am

Excel Saga's anime is pretty much parody work. Everything is done to the theme of the episode, and motivated by slapstick.
The questions you ask almost border on: 'Don't bother asking...'

In terms of the Manga vs the Anime... the Anime was finished I believe before seventh Manga volume even got finished. (There is no Elgalia in the Anime.) So the Anime has what appears to hackney plot, because there is no plot. Secondly, the director of the Anime is the now imfamous Shinichi Watanabe... AKA: Nabeshin. Who's known for putting stuff in just because he can. (Example: The robot 'NB' in Tenchi GXP. That was Nabeshin's handiwork. In name, use, and probably voice.) Any plot related questions or questions about logic are thus moot.

As far as the detail related questions. Il Pala didn't display any powers that I am aware of as of yet, aside from the power of amnesia and the ability to reel in the fangirls. (Though Longevity would count.)
In the anime, we aren't really given any hints at Il Pala having split personalities until they show up on top of us. Probably because as I mentioned, there is no plot.

Excel Dying was a running gag of the first Episode. Of course, if you paid attention to the arbitrary 'Great Will/Pedro/Nabeshin/That Man' subplot routine that our pal Nabeshin had going, you'll find that Excel's 'Return to Life' method depending on Will-chan resetting everything. Excel dies in the 'dating sim game' episode when the bomb blows up.

The gundam being paradied is likely the classic: 0080 of the Universal Century set.

Among other things, I haven't seen any Excel Saga volumes past 14 in stores so that's as far as I've been able to get with them. And as far as it's shown up to there: Il Pala has no 'super' powers displayed, and the plot is just starting to get really complicated.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Anime / Manga