Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Postby Adyen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:51 am

Has anyone been watching this brilliant piece of entertainment? I was completely converted after episode 3. :lol:
Adyen
Senshi Cadet

Postby Bliss » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:59 am

Hmm... have you read the novels? They're being translated by Baka-Tsuki. I was wondering if the series will follow the novel(s) and(or) manga or is it going in it's own direction?
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Adyen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:25 am

Actually, I've been looking around for the novels, but I still haven't found anywhere that sells or loans them.
Adyen
Senshi Cadet

Postby Bliss » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:09 am

You can find the Baka-Tsuki translations for the novelshere and the raws are available on
#SEKAIWOOOINIMORIAGERUTAMENOSUZUMIYAHARUHINODAN@irc.rizon.net
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:34 am

All hail Suzumiya Haruhi! Goddess amongst mortals!
All hail Kyon! Master of Snarky Commentary!
Haruhi is quite simply made of win.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby MC80a Liberty » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:13 pm

It's one of the only shows I can actually watch all the way through. Very nice animation, decent va's, an unusual plot and just plain bizarre. Gotta love it.
MC80a Liberty
Senshi Candidate

Postby Bliss » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:44 pm

Hmm... the question is that if everyone around Haruhi is there for a reason, why Kyon? and who is Tsuruya? and the older looking Mikuru in the opening credits?
*shrugs*...I kinda wanna know where the series is gonna take itself. Considering the episodes are sort of mismatched and not in any particular order, I wonder if they'll cover all the books, or will they sort of do a whole alternate route deal.
I kind of want to see them develop Haruhi and Kyon's oddball relationship. Just because I'm a sucker for comedy and a bit of romance. Heh.
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Adyen » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:02 am

They actually do cover the story in an order... but not in the actual release order. Listen to Haruhi and not Kyon at the end of the episode for clues. It'll help sort the order of the episodes out. (I think episode 1 was actually episode 13, but I'm not quite sure yet...)
Adyen
Senshi Cadet

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:38 am

Bliss wrote: and the older looking Mikuru in the opening credits?

M
A
J
O
R
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
That older looking Mikuru is Mikuru. Just eight years older.
(Time Travel, gotta love it!)
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Bliss » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:39 am

*Shrugs* I knew that, I was just wondering when you get to actually see Mikuru older.... I mean you've seen almost everyone else in the credits in one way or another... so I just figured you'll eventually see the 'older Mikuru'.
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby Bliss » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:57 am

OMG! I did not expect that fight in Epi 10 or 4 if ur following the anime continuity....
There was that one shot that seemed to remind me of a cross between Heaven's Prison... and that Hellsing fight Alucard and Ceres against Paladin Alexander.
Now that we know that everyone is in one way or another connected with Suzumiya or her observers... the question you have to ask is what is Mikuru's relationship with Kyon... he seems to know her pretty well in the future or something... and what's the whole deal with Snow White?
We saw Yuki 'fight' and Koizumi 'fight' ... but what about Mikuru? Maybe a rogue time traveler or some radical elements within her agency... maybe Tsuruya is from a rival agency or something. *shrugs* I don't know...
Despite Kyon being 'normal', it seems like he's got some kind of power or ability... he's got to be central in all this besides being chosen by Haruhi... he's always in the middle of things, so maybe perhaps he's connected to all these events in a subconscious level. Maybe while all these odd things occur because Haruhi wills it, he's the catalyst or something. I don't know, it's all wild speculation.
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby UberJugla » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:03 pm

Stranger things have happend in the wonderfull world of anime. It wouldn't even suprise me if Kyon is the one with the power and "brought" in Haruhi to spice up his life... His subconscious using her as a proxy to bring about all the freakyness.
UberJugla
Senshi Candidate

Postby Bliss » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:11 pm

Oooh I hadn't thought about that possibility.
Hmm.. but then he seems pretty adverse to odd and supernatural situations despite being in quite a bit of them. Perhaps both Haruhi and Kyon knew each other before, but three years ago something happen which caused her to rewrite the world?
Maybe the hand grabbing her in the OP credits is Kyon's? Haha that would be great. There is definitely some sort of attraction from Haruhi's end although I doubt it's romantic in nature.. she did seem rather jealous of Mikuru. I don't know, maybe I'm looking too deeply into this.
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby MC80a Liberty » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Bliss wrote:OMG! I did not expect that fight in Epi 10 or 4 if ur following the anime continuity....
snip
Now that we know that everyone is in one way or another connected with Suzumiya or her observers... the question you have to ask is what is Mikuru's relationship with Kyon... he seems to know her pretty well in the future or something... and what's the whole deal with Snow White?
We saw Yuki 'fight' and Koizumi 'fight' ... but what about Mikuru? Maybe a rogue time traveler or some radical elements within her agency... maybe Tsuruya is from a rival agency or something. *shrugs* I don't know...
snip

Agreed, Episode 10 came completely out of the blue. Although I'd doubt that Tsuruya's from a rival agancy. If she is another Haruhi related observer, which seems increasingly likely, I'd expect her to be something that has to do with her fangs. I know it's a common trait of "wild" characters, but most "special" characters seem to have an unusual trait or two to distinguish them (Unusual hair/eye colour, always has eyes closed, etc).
MC80a Liberty
Senshi Candidate

Postby Bliss » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:44 pm

Well as stated by Haruhi she's interested in time-travellers, aliens, and espers. So if we rule out time-travellers, and in the case of aliens it's much like Yuki, sentient 'computer programs' then it leaves espers. It's not clearly stated so do you think she's part of the agency that Koizumi works for?
It seems unlikely but she and the two that hang around with Kyon could actually be normal people, or barring that created by either Haruhi or Yuki for some unexplainable purpose. Perhaps remnants from the previous observation or to establish some cover identity or the like.
I wouldn't be suprise that Tsuruya is an artificial program or something that Mikuru's agency placed to help her cover or something. I don't know.
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Next

Return to Anime / Manga