Disgaea questions

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Disgaea questions

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:08 pm

Just got through watching the anime adaptation of this RPG and I have some questions, which blur from the anime to the game itself, which I have never been able to play.

First of all, I know that the Anime Ending (Seraph Lamington lives, Laharl sacrifices himself to resurrect Flonne as a Fallen Angel, then Laharl is resurrected as a Prinny) is unique to the anime, but I've heard it's basically an editing/mishmash of game endings. Which ones?
Speaking of which, what are the different endings and what happens in each?

Secondly, as Laharl's mother is a human, does that make him a Half-Demon, or is demonic DNA dominant, which means he's a Full Demon with a non-demon mother?

Third, does Flonne's attacks and/or abilities change when she switches races from Angel to Fallen Angel?

Fourth, how is Laharl able to sacrifice himself to resurrect Flonne in certain endings anyway?

Fifth, is it fatal for a Prinny to use its explosion attack? I mean, I figure it's a self-KO move in the battles, but does blowing up destroy a Prinny permanently?

Sixth, is the Red Moon that the Prinnies go to for resurrection something that happens nightly in the "Lunar Snowfields", or is it something that happens once a year/century/millenia?

Seventh, in the situations where Laharl becomes a Prinny, when he finally managed to atone/buy his way into being reincarnated, what precisely would happen to him? Would he be brought back as his old self, transformed into an new demon like Krichevosky turned into Vyers, or be reincarnated as a brand new demon/human/half-demon?

Eighth, would Laharl have to work to be able to get the cash he needs to go to the Red Moon, or could he simply "persuade" Etna and Flonne to give him the cash straight away?

Ninth, I've heard that the anime-only character Maharl, a she-demon (really a puppet) who claims to be Laharl's little sister (and who is implied to be the result of a one-night stand between Krichevosky and a barmaid/prostitute), actually uses the design for a planned sister of Laharl's who the creator never got a chance to use in the actual game. Is this true?

Finally, how did Krichevosky get reincarnated as Vyers anyway? And do their personalities differ at all?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:44 pm

Ahh, one of my specialties.

First of all, I know that the Anime Ending (Seraph Lamington lives, Laharl sacrifices himself to resurrect Flonne as a Fallen Angel, then Laharl is resurrected as a Prinny) is unique to the anime, but I've heard it's basically an editing/mishmash of game endings. Which ones?

Good Ending and Normal Ending. Laharl spares Lamington's life in the Good Ending and Lamington resurrects Flonne, but everything else happens in the Normal Ending when Laharl kills Lamington, who was the only one who could turn Flonne back to normal.

Speaking of which, what are the different endings and what happens in each?

There's three "Standard" endings which come at the end of the game. Besides the two I've mentioned, there's one where Laharl kills Lamington and writes Flonne off as a loss. Bad End, obviously. There's also endings for losing a battle with Mid-Boss (who gloats about his victory and then takes Laharl's throne), killing too many allies before the 4th chapter is over (Laharl gets killed by Flonne when he's about to kill Hogmeiser, and Flonne becomes convinced that demons really don't have any love in them), and invading Earth (which you can only do with a really high level and have to unlock in the Dark Congress).

Secondly, as Laharl's mother is a human, does that make him a Half-Demon, or is demonic DNA dominant, which means he's a Full Demon with a non-demon mother?

Nothing is ever said about whether demon DNA is dominant or not, so I'd assume he's actually a half-demon.

Third, does Flonne's attacks and/or abilities change when she switches races from Angel to Fallen Angel?

She gains some new skills in her appearances in other Nippon Ichi games (Flonnezilla!), but so does everyone else who shows up outside D1, so I would say probably not.

Actually come to think of it I think her Holy Arrows attack turns into an 'Arrows of Love' attack, but apart from that I don't believe she gets any new abilities or spells just by being a Fallen Angel.

Fourth, how is Laharl able to sacrifice himself to resurrect Flonne in certain endings anyway?

Your guess is as good as mine for the anime, though I seem to recall him asking God (since he was right there in heaven) to take his life in exchange for Flonne's after he killed Lamington in the Normal Ending. The Big G never makes an appearance in person, though. He's just a deus ex machina to facilitate Laharl's last minute self-sacrifice.

Fifth, is it fatal for a Prinny to use its explosion attack? I mean, I figure it's a self-KO move in the battles, but does blowing up destroy a Prinny permanently?

Nope, it just KOs them for the duration of the battle. You can rez 'em at the hospital like any other unit.

Sixth, is the Red Moon that the Prinnies go to for resurrection something that happens nightly in the "Lunar Snowfields", or is it something that happens once a year/century/millenia?

I'm pretty sure it only happens once every year or so, or the prinnies wouldn't all disappear at once; they'd vanish one at a time the first night their sentences were completed, not in a group once every year or whenever.

Seventh, in the situations where Laharl becomes a Prinny, when he finally managed to atone/buy his way into being reincarnated, what precisely would happen to him? Would he be brought back as his old self, transformed into an new demon like Krichevosky turned into Vyers, or be reincarnated as a brand new demon/human/half-demon?

That's actually a really good question, and I'm not sure. Though since Krichevosky seems to have reincarnated straight into a full-grown adult demon instead of a prinny, I'd say he was probably a special case of some sort. The fact that he didn't reincarnate as a prinny seems to indicate that he wasn't a sinner or at least that his good deeds outweighed any sins he'd committed, and an Overlord who wasn't a sinner would probably have been of interest to a Celestial like Lamington. It's possible that K's reincarnation as Vyers was part of an arrangement between Krichevosky and Lamington to help ensure that Laharl would grow up to be more like K and less like a typical Overlord. But as for what Laharl would wind up becoming after turning into a Prinny, your guess is as good as mine.

Eighth, would Laharl have to work to be able to get the cash he needs to go to the Red Moon, or could he simply "persuade" Etna and Flonne to give him the cash straight away?

Could go either way I guess, though I doubt Etna would just give Laharl the cash without playing with him for a while. She has a history of prinny abuse, after all, and as long as Laharl isn't in imminent mortal peril she's likely to treat him the same as the rest of the Prinny Brigade.

Finally, how did Krichevosky get reincarnated as Vyers anyway? And do their personalities differ at all?

Don't know this one either. He was only gone a few years according to the timeline (he died right before Laharl's two-year nap) so I doubt he reincarnated Sailor Moon style, as that would entail quite a number of years of growth, probably several millennia to reach "Adult Demon" status. As for personalities, couldn't tell you that either. Vyers is pretty darn eccentric but by the end of the game it's pretty clear that he's been using Obfuscating Stupidity for at least part of the game.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:48 pm

I've also heard there's an ending where Laharl ends up giving the title of Overlord to Etna, and a seperate one where all three survive to the game's end, but Etna murders Laharl and Flonne both to become Overlord?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:00 pm

I do know that there IS an Etna ending in the original if you kill too many allies before fighting the one vampire guy.

As for Kritchevskoy-Vyers, there are some comments in the game that indicate that Vyer's body is only a temporary measure. When he has meetings with Lamington, there are questions concerning his health, and "I have power enough...for this" and the like. Meaning it is likely that even if their plan had failed "Vyers" probably wouldn't have lived long after it anyway.

Also, Recall that Laharl's mom died by sacrificing her own life for his and became a Prinny because taking one's own life is a grievous sin. Laharl does the same thing for Flonne in the Normal ending.
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:08 pm

I know that the sacrifice is why Laharl was turned into a Prinny, I was asking how he was able to sacrifice himself in exchange for Flonne's life (his mother gave up her life-energy, basically, to bolster Laharl's own so he could heal from the disease he was blighted with) in the first place.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Disgaea questions

Postby Tovath » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:J

Big sister Prinny (the reincarnation of Laharl's mom) says to another prinny that they only have to wait until the next Red Moon, so we can assume that it doesn't happen every night.

[quote="SpaceKnight of Chaos"]JEighth, would Laharl have to work to be able to get the cash he needs to go to the Red Moon, or could he simply "persuade" Etna and Flonne to give him the cash straight away?

Since the prinnirs in Heaven work for free I would say Laharl can't do that.
“Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”
-Hanlon's Razor

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."
-Oscar Wilde

Senshi of Puck
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:09 pm

I've never heard that the Prinnies in Celestia get paid nothing. I've heard that they often get paid less in the Netherworld if their bosses are particular jerks, but never anything that says the Celestia Prinnies (whose home is at least intended to be a land of goodness) are fortunate only in that their "lives" are easier than their counterparts amongst the demons.

By the way, what causes a Prinny to serve in a given world anyway?

Also, does anyone have any answers to my question about Maharl? Speaking of which, how did she reanimate in the final episode of the anime (you see a shot of her on a mountain looking up as the 'wave of light' from Laharl's sacrifice flows past in the sky), given that the demon-in-a-puppet thing she'd been carrying around wasn't there?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:26 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:I've also heard there's an ending where Laharl ends up giving the title of Overlord to Etna, and a seperate one where all three survive to the game's end, but Etna murders Laharl and Flonne both to become Overlord?

I know there's an Etna storyline in the PSP remake where Etna accidentally "kills" Laharl right at the start and decides to become Overlord herself, but I don't know anything about the one you mentioned.

...Unless you're talking about the Normal End for that first one. Laharl tells Etna to take care of his throne for him just before he kills himself for Flonne, so Etna winds up getting the Overlord title and gets to keep Laharl's seat warm for him. I really don't know anything about that second ending, but I suppose it could be the Bad End for Etna Mode in the PSP remake.

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:I've never heard that the Prinnies in Celestia get paid nothing. I've heard that they often get paid less in the Netherworld if their bosses are particular jerks, but never anything that says the Celestia Prinnies (whose home is at least intended to be a land of goodness) are fortunate only in that their "lives" are easier than their counterparts amongst the demons.

I specifically recall it being mentioned by Flonne that Celestial Prinnies get lots of work benefits and weekends off and so on and so forth, compared to Netherworld prinnies who get paid minimum wage and whose benefits are limited to a fish every year.

By the way, what causes a Prinny to serve in a given world anyway?

Luck of the draw? :?

I'd say the gravity of the soul's sins determines where they get placed in the afterlife. If you did something really awful like rape or murder or killing yourself to save a loved one, (because your intentions apparently don't factor into the judgment) then you wind up in one of the Netherworlds. If you were a Roman Catholic who ate meat on Friday or something like that, then you get the easy sentence in Celestia. I guess. This certainly isn't based on any official info, though.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:33 am

This is just something I started wondering... what happens to a Prinny if it takes lethal damage from something besides it's self-destruct power? Can a Prinny be killed, or does it simply become too tattered to function, forcing the soul to either move on to a new 'shell' or wait until its shell is repaired?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:27 am

Just to revive this topic...

How did Etna and Flonne switch personalities in episode 3 of the anime? I figure it's somehow tied to the statuette Vulcanus accidentally knocks over when he shows up, but why did it change them?

I've heard that the anime-only character Maharl, a she-demon (really a puppet) who claims to be Laharl's little sister (and who is implied to be the result of a one-night stand between Krichevosky and a barmaid/prostitute), actually uses the design for a planned sister of Laharl's who the creator never got a chance to use in the actual game. Is this true?

Speaking of which, how did she reanimate in the final episode of the anime (you see a shot of her on a mountain looking up as the 'wave of light' from Laharl's sacrifice flows past in the sky), given that the demon-in-a-puppet thing she'd been carrying around wasn't there?

What were the Defender Trio (Captain Gordon, Jennifer, Thursday) doing in the demon shop in episode 4?

Why did Flonne's food make Laharl and Etna sick? It didn't look misprepared or anything...

Finally, what happens to a Prinny if it takes lethal damage from something besides it's self-destruct power? Can a Prinny be killed, or does it simply become too tattered to function, forcing the soul to either move on to a new 'shell' or wait until its shell is repaired?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:58 am

It's been a while since I last watched that but I'll try and answer some of your questions.

According to the Prinny when asked why their personality changed it say's it is because that is the treasure hall and the bed was a display item other than that no explanation is given.

What were the Defender Trio (Captain Gordon, Jennifer, Thursday) doing in the demon shop in episode 4?

They were selling stuff to raise money for sustenance and pay for repairs for to their spaceship.

Why did Flonne's food make Laharl and Etna sick? It didn't look misprepared or anything...

She's just a terrible cook that can make food look edible but not taste good.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:22 am

Actually, given that a 'thought bubble' is shown of Laharl running, laughing, through a field of flowers when he complains about the food, I was wondering if maybe Flonne's cooking is so "charged" with positive emotions that it's absolutely inedible by most demons?

Also, in Maharl's episode of the anime (#7), three things are mentioned: do they have any basis in the games? The first is that King Krichevskoy had a secret/family recipe of porridge, which he used to make for Laharl (and which Laharl knows how to cook). The second is a super-secret treasure of the Overlords; a Black Lizard's Tail, though Krichevskoy died before telling Laharl where it was, so nobody knows where it is. The third is a recipe for "Pickled Dragon's Skin", which is apparently one of the the three great delicacies of the Netherworld and which is also highly illegal.

Speaking of the "Porridge of the Damned", when Laharl cooks it up, it's a frightful looking brew. Is it supposed to look like that, or was the fact it turned out edible simply due to the fact Maharl is an animated puppet? If it is supposed to look like that, then is it possible that Laharl could actually cook for himself, but he's simply too lazy to do so?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:35 pm

Here's a new question that I was hoping someone could answer: in episode #7 of the anime, Netherworld Siblings, are the Netherworld Empresses based on a quintet of female members of the various "character classes" that your vassals can be in Disgaea? Brawler, Wizard and the like? If they are, what are the classes present in the gang?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:57 pm

*Watches episode to refresh memory*

Some (or most) of the names differ from game to game, but for Hour of Darkness... I'd say there's about half of the female classes in the group (not counting the succubus and nekomata): cleric (looks like a guy, though), knight, archer, mage, and ronin.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks for that. I have three questions now, one strictly anime based, two more general.

Firstly, what happens to... what'sername, the demon slaying she-demon who has the verbal tick of constantly negating something she just said ("I have slain over 2000 demons! ...Or was it under 2000?") and who shows up in the fifth episode? Laharl takes her as a vassal after defeating her attempts to get rid of him, and episode 6 has them going to face that freaky Vampire Lord who has Etna's memories after having been told about him by her, but she isn't with them.

Secondly, is this how the "Afterlife Mechanism" works in the Disgaea setting, or am I confused?
*A mortal is born in the Mortal World, ages, and then dies
*Their soul goes to either Celestia or the Netherworld, depending on their affiliation for Light or Darkness in life (aka, someone who lived an "Evil" life, both seriously and in the Card Carrying Villain/Poke the Poodle style of the demons we see in the actual games
*If their soul has a particularly strong affinity for Light or Darkness, they become an Angel or a Demon, as appropriate
*If their soul is too dark for Celestia, but too light for the Netherworld, they become a Prinny, whereupon they must atone in order to receive reincarnation in the Mortal World
*The particularities of the "stains" determine which dimension they serve in as Prinnies; those whose souls are mostly Light serve in Celestia, while the Dark Prinnies serve in the Netherworld

Third, exactly how do Prinnies atone for their sins anyway? Do they only need to do sufficient good deeds, or must they be paid in order to reincarnate? Or is it something of a mixture of both, with a Prinny being able to reincarnate under the Red Moon if they have committed enough good deeds, but also if they have acquired enough cash to bribe the "attendents"?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Next

Return to Anime / Manga