Some Inuyasha questions

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Postby Dorin » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:25 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:I was just wondering; does Kagome/Inuyasha ever explain (as much as that's possible) to Shippo, Miroku and Sango that Kagome comes from "somewhere else" reachable through the Bone-Eater's Well in the Forest of Inuyasha? If the other members of the group do know about Kagome coming from 'elsewhere', when/how was this likely explained to them?

To my knowledge they never give more of an explaination beyond "Kagome lives beyond the Well" if any are given, it's most likely assumed to be off-screen and never plays much of a factor in how the cast reacts. Seeing as they're already a hanyou, kitsune, monk, and demon-hunter they take it in stride (after demons and black-holes in your palm, is dimension/time travelling really that weird?) Sort of a "Oh...so that explains why she has all those neat gizmos, like that bicycle contraption."

There are a few scenes where Shippo, or all the others are waiting for Kagome to return, but the conversation is more "Well, when do you think she'll be back?" ... "I don't know, she said three days (or whatever) so it should be soon." ... "I hope Kagome brought me some candy."

As they all know she's Kikyo's reincarnation, or at least I'm fairly certain they all know, they kinda have to by the end; it's a safe bet that Miroku and Sango make the assumption she's jumping through time, but they never seem extremely curious about the future that I recall, at least in more than bathtime girl talk between Sango and Kagome talking about their lives growing up (of which I don't remember Kagome EVER talking about her family)

So, it's largely untouched ground, if you were to write a fic on it, I guess it's safe enough you could assume whatever position you wanted. Maybe Kagome doesn't tell the truth because she's scared she might alter history (as if she isn't already in danger of that) or Sango and Miroku just aren't inclined to care.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:47 pm

I think all the screams of "I'm going back to the future" in Inuyasha's face and then storming back to the bone eaters well by the shortest route no matter how far from Kaede's village they are at the time told the whole group rather clearly. Not to mention all the "Ninja Food" like chips cup o noodles and what not.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:09 pm

New question: is it known when/how Kaede lost her eye? She had both of them when she first met Inuyasha, as is proven by Inuyasha's flashback in the second episode, and the general fanon seems to be that she lost it during Inuyasha's assault on the village. However, as one fanfic I've read pointed out, that doesn't really make sense; Kaede already has it bound, covered and no longer bleeding by the time she goes to Kikyo's side after she pins Inuyasha to the tree, not to mention she's getting around far too freely for someone who just had their eye torn out/slashed.

Also, is it me, or does the village during Inuyasha's assault look larger and grander than the village as it appears during the rest of the series?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby whatever » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:00 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:New question: is it known when/how Kaede lost her eye? She had both of them when she first met Inuyasha, as is proven by Inuyasha's flashback in the second episode, and the general fanon seems to be that she lost it during Inuyasha's assault on the village. However, as one fanfic I've read pointed out, that doesn't really make sense; Kaede already has it bound, covered and no longer bleeding by the time she goes to Kikyo's side after she pins Inuyasha to the tree, not to mention she's getting around far too freely for someone who just had their eye torn out/slashed.

In the special episodes 147-148 where Kikyo's life is deeply analyzed before and after meeting Inuyaha; there is a scene when defending her village against a bunch of monsters that Naraku lead; Kikyo accidentally damage Kaede's eye when she fired a strong purifying arrow that made one of the youkais explode and the exploion reached Kaede who was near(this was 50 years ago, when Kaede was a child).

In the manga it is never explained as far as I remember but there is nothing that contradict this.
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:37 pm

Comartemis wrote:Said demons also have a tendency to turn violently homicidal and run rampant and generally make a big nuisance of themselves. 'yasha may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to interpersonal skills, but I imagine he knows better than try using the Jewel's fragments on himself even before he gained his Full Youkai state and had to worry about unstoppable berserker rages. That might also explain why he waited so long to use a shard on the Tetsusaiga; using a shard on himself would probably boost his power at the cost of locking him into Full Youkai mode until it was removed, but using one on Tetsusaiga, which is linked to Inuyasha's youki, would enhance both Inuyasha and Tetsusaiga's ability to suppress his Youkai form, making it safer to use but still dangerous enough to be a last-resort tactic.

I admit I've only seen the first season, but wheren't all of the demons (bar Royokan, who was forced into it by Naraku) who used the Shikon shards already bloodthirsty, vicious, inhuman monsters? So their behavior with the shards pretty much was how they normally acted? Not to mention that the Thunder Brothers Hiten and Manten, plus the Tsukkagame Toad (or however it was spelt; the anime-only Toad Demon that Myoga describes as "the 99th toad of the 99th generation) actually act quite rationally even with the jewel shards- they were specifically stated as having always been that evil.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dorin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:08 pm

I think the really big issue with the jewel is put forward by Miroku to Inuyasha, in reply to Inuyasha's (at the time) desire to use the completed jewel to become a whole demon. Miroku's theory of the jewel being this:

"Where-ever the jewel goes, it brings nothing but misery."

And, while not through many actions of the jewel itself, every time it's power is put to use, there is greater and greater amounts of suffering, based on the power of those people who wield it. The Thunder Brothers killed Shippo's father, and maybe a few scattered folks, but as the jewel's use climbed up powerful users, the chances for massive suffering only increased.

This really have Inuyasha pause, and as the series proceeded on, his desire to become a true demon steadily slipped lower down he rungs; although it was already a second tier objective after Naraku's past is unveiled.

Most of the people who seek the shards are, out of hand already evil; so the jewel doesn't do a whole lot but given them more power to do greater evil. It's their capacity to cause greater suffering that the jewel thrives on.

**~Spoilers~**!!!! Warning! Spoilers! Do not read if you don't want to know! **

The spirits of the demons trapped in the jewel ultimatly live to spread chaos and misery; the only light in the jewel is first Midoriko's spirit, and then part of Kikyo's power to keep some glimmer of hope in the thing. During the final battle with Naraku, the very depths of despair of the main characters causes the jewel to turn deeper and deeper colors of black as their hope fades; and only returns to light as they find their conviction again.

The spirits of the jewel had the intended purpose of making Kagome wish on the jewel, and ANY wish she made (apart from the one she did make) would have caused a new set of fighting in the jewel, between her and Naraku this time. Her wish? For the jewel to just disappear, and poof, it does. The only way to avoid her fate.

With this revelation, even Kikyo's seemingly unselfish, innane desire for Inuyasha to be human, would more than likely have resulted in some horrible catastrophie down the line. But that's another post to muse in.

[/end spoilers]

The only demon I recall actually going 'insane' because of a jewel shard was the (I forget his name) funny faced forest god who spat out wolves. In the manga, the reason he went mad and hunted Inuyasha, was because the jewel shard Naraku shot into his head had been shoved into the seed of a plant, which with the energy from the shard grew rapidly, causing what'shisface incredible pain, and ultimatly promised to send the roots down into his brain, and only Naraku (supposedly) knew how to get it out.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:35 pm

Some new questions...
-Does Jinenji's appearance reflect the true form of his father, or is it 'luck of the draw' (ie unpredictable demonic genes) that caused him to be the vaguely horse-like ogre he is, despite the fact his father appeared to his mother as a beautiful glowing human man?

-Also, is it known what happened to Jinenji's father? He mentions in the dub that the herb farm he and his mother tend was given to them/passed down to him by his father, but that's it.

-In the episode where Mushin is possessed/controlled by a "Demon Worm Charmer", what relation are the various creepy-crawly lesser demons that keep appearing? Are these the 'demon worms' that the imp charms?

-Is Miroku's lechery unique to him, inherited, or learned from Mushin?

-What mythical beastie, exactly, are the Birds of Paradise (the freakish harpy-things at war with Kouga's tribe) based on? Or are they unique to the Inuyasha anime?

-Is Totosai a demon, or some kind of sword-smithing sorcerer? Also, is Totosai feigning ignorance when he does something that ticks off the others (like Myoga does), or is he genuinely senile?

-Is Kohaku alive yet perpetually dying and kept thusly, similar to Shinnosuke in Ranma 1/2, or is he undead and animated by the Shikon shard in his back?

-Finally, what manner of demon is Kirara? And how did she come to be Sango's... partner?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dorin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:53 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Some new questions...
-Does Jinenji's appearance reflect the true form of his father, or is it 'luck of the draw' (ie unpredictable demonic genes) that caused him to be the vaguely horse-like ogre he is, despite the fact his father appeared to his mother as a beautiful glowing human man?

So far as I'm aware it's just a random fluxing of genes, it could be argued either way; so little is said about his father it's completely unknown (so far as I can find) his father could have just been able to weave a beautiful human form and been incredibly ugly, or really handsome and his son sadly ugly.

On a quick character look up (Wiki) his father was a horse demon, but any more on that I don't know.

-Also, is it known what happened to Jinenji's father? He mentions in the dub that the herb farm he and his mother tend was given to them/passed down to him by his father, but that's it.

Don't recally anything of significance mentioned about his father, if Jinenji's mother says anything, it's a quick line, or one panel that I've completely forgotten. I'll look it up and get back on this in a few days.

-In the episode where Mushin is possessed/controlled by a "Demon Worm Charmer", what relation are the various creepy-crawly lesser demons that keep appearing? Are these the 'demon worms' that the imp charms?

No idea, guess they are.

-Is Miroku's lechery unique to him, inherited, or learned from Mushin?

My memory is a little rusty, but a quick look up of the character and Mushin is noted as a drunken, dirty old man. So Miroku probably learned a lot of his behaviors from Mushin, it's hinted in both manga and anime at least (accoring to Wiki)

Of course, Miroku's father and grandfather were both incredible letchers themselves, as I recall. Naraku placed the curse on Miroku's grandfather by disgusing himself as a beautiful woman, so Miroku is probably slightly predisposed to it, but he probably did pick up a lot from his old teacher.

-What mythical beastie, exactly, are the Birds of Paradise (the freakish harpy-things at war with Kouga's tribe) based on? Or are they unique to the Inuyasha anime?

No idea, sadly my knowledge of Japanese mythology is pretty slim; it's possible they're based on some kind of mythical demon, but I dunno what it could be.

-Is Totosai a demon, or some kind of sword-smithing sorcerer? Also, is Totosai feigning ignorance when he does something that ticks off the others (like Myoga does), or is he genuinely senile?

Given that every other "friend" or servant of Inutaisho that turns up is a demon, Totosai is more than likely a demon himself. Any human associates of Inutaisho's would more than likely all be dead. (I don't know if you can call this cannon or not) In the third movie, after Inutaisho's death, Myoga and Totosai, along with the spirit of the scabbard of the demon sword Sounga (a movie only character), have a meeting about following Inutashio's will. Hiding tessaiga for Inuyasha when he comes of age, giving tenseiga to Sesshoumaru, and some other details, Totosai is already old (looks just the same as in the 'current' time on the anime and manga) so he's more than likely a demon.

As for his mental condition, I think he's honestly senile. I don't recall any instances where he demonstrates to Myoga that he is being sly; he's so old that things just honestly slip his mind.

-Is Kohaku alive yet perpetually dying and kept thusly, similar to Shinnosuke in Ranma 1/2, or is he undead and animated by the Shikon shard in his back?

Kohaku was animated by the jewel shard, it was the only thing keeping him alive. After Kikyo put part of her power into that shard, and it was finally taken from him, that power left the jewel and instead remained in Kohaku, effectively restoring his life.

Prior to that, yeah he was kept alive completely by the shard's power, and even tenseiga would be useless in bringing him back to life. Kikyo's last gift to him was restoring his life with the last of her power.

-Finally, what manner of demon is Kirara? And how did she come to be Sango's... partner?

The only thing I can find for Kirara is having her listed as a nekomata/bakeneko; or just a monster cat, which would be like a kitsune, just a cat. In fanfiction she's been called a firecat, and a sabercat, but I don't know if she has any official distinction apart from just "demon cat"

Her past with Sango is never let on, outside the fact she has been something of a member of the family for generations. So she probably just bonds with one of the demonhunters, and serves as a partner, until one of their siblings or children needs her more, and then partners with that person.

In the end of the manga, she goes from being Sango's partner (who can't do it anymore after becoming the mother of Miroku's children) and goes on to partner with Kohaku, who takes up the role of demon hunter in her place. So that just seems to be how it works. She probably just took to Sango at a younger age, and when Sango became a full fledged demon hunter, remained her partner for the rest of her career.

Given how loyal Kirara is to Sango, and I would assume later Kohaku, and having been in their family for several generations, she is probably an excellent judge of character, and doesn't chose her partners lightly. Just a guess, but it seems somewhat plausible.
Dorin
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:05 am

One new question: why is it that Miroku's grandfather is said to be as perverted as he is? In the anime, it's said that he tracked down Naraku as the demon behind various acts of mischief and confronted him in the guise of a woman- there was nothing about being tempted by her or even unaware that she was the demon he sought. He attempted to destroy the shapeshifter, whereupon Naraku gave him the Wind Tunnel's curse and then left. Was Miroku's grandfather deceived in the manga? Did Naraku seduce him and give him the curse just for his twisted idea of fun there?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Drawde » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:30 am

Miroku said his Grandfather was, and yes, that's how Naraku tricked him. Although I'm not certain of the exact terms, especially in the Japanese version, so it may have been hired, or he "seduced" "her" (disguised Naraku).
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Also back then Naraku could change appearance enough to even trick long time friends that he was the other person. A trick he didn't use much after Inuyasha got freed from the tree.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:11 pm

After reading this topic I'd like to point out a few things that were mentioned and were wrong.

The jewel is not needed for Kagome or Inu-yasha to use the well because during the later parts of the story Kagome doesn't have any shards and can still return to her time. The one time she couldn't used the well was because Inu-yasha had stuffed a tree in it pretty much clogging it up.

Also Inu-yasha does not get the diamond blade (or whatever it's called) by using a shard on his sword. He gets it by damageing the dead demon who had created the jewel that allowed him to visit his father's grave.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Adamant. An old word for Diamond. I still don't understand why they didn't end up doing something similar to going for the Biggoron's Sword in Zelda:Ocarina of Time. Requesting the new jewel to go to the world of the dead then hopping through the well to go meet up with the young jewel maker to get it.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Lioconvoy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:30 pm

I really have no idea what you're talknign about spok. If you're saying what I think you're saying, then it wouldn't work because the jewel maker doesn't exist in Kagome's time as far as they knew.
Sometimes it just doesn't pay....

Expect me when you see me -Doctor Who (The first Doctor)
Lioconvoy
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:36 pm

They just never bothered with it. There's no telling if he is gone or not. Unexplored doesn't equal non existent.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Anime / Manga