Some Slayers questions

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Some Slayers questions

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:20 pm

I recently got the DVDs of the three seasons of the animated Slayers series, and I just have a few questions:

-I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Zangulus, wielder of the Howling Sword from the first season, ends up married to Princess Martina, the first recurring enemy introduced in NEXT. Is this true? If yes, where and when does it occur?

-In their final duel in the first season, Gourry breaks the Howling Sword. Does Zangulus manage to get this repaired? Or does he replace it? If he does get it repaired, where/how would he have had that done, seeing as how the demonically possessed blade was crafted for him in the first place by Rezo.

-What happens to Vrumugun after the first season? I know that there was a real Vrumugun at one point, though I don't know if this is the guy who got Dragon Slaved or if all of the Vrumuguns Lina killed were clones, but I've heard that Vrumugun shows up at Zangulus's wedding.

-Finally, at the end of TRY, Gourry gives up the Sword of Light to the guys from the other world. I'm positive that I've heard he gets a replacement magical sword in the continuing manga- can anyone confirm this? If true, what is the name of his new sword, what are its capabilities, and where/when does he get it?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:44 pm

-I remember reading/hearing somewhere that Zangulus, wielder of the Howling Sword from the first season, ends up married to Princess Martina, the first recurring enemy introduced in NEXT. Is this true? If yes, where and when does it occur?

Tail end of NEXT, episode 26, in the mostly-destroyed city of Xoana, Martina's home. The church they were married at had very flimsy construction. 8)

-In their final duel in the first season, Gourry breaks the Howling Sword. Does Zangulus manage to get this repaired? Or does he replace it? If he does get it repaired, where/how would he have had that done, seeing as how the demonically possessed blade was crafted for him in the first place by Rezo.

Zangulus showed up again in NEXT with the "Howling Sword, Part Two". Whether he got it repaired or replaced is never elaborated on in the anime.

-What happens to Vrumugun after the first season? I know that there was a real Vrumugun at one point, though I don't know if this is the guy who got Dragon Slaved or if all of the Vrumuguns Lina killed were clones, but I've heard that Vrumugun shows up at Zangulus's wedding.

That would be the real Vrumugun. The ones that Lina and Co. killed were all clones of the original.

-Finally, at the end of TRY, Gourry gives up the Sword of Light to the guys from the other world. I'm positive that I've heard he gets a replacement magical sword in the continuing manga- can anyone confirm this? If true, what is the name of his new sword, what are its capabilities, and where/when does he get it?

This link would be able to explain it better than I could. It's not definite that it'll be appearing in the recent anime/manga, however.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 pm

At the moment in Slayers Revolution, I think Gourry is using Lina's sword. She doesn't appear to be wearing it. However, that sword is non-magical and apparently not meant for someone of Gourry's strength, as it keeps breaking on him.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Drawde » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:40 pm

The only thing I've HEARD of Gourry's replacement sword, is that it's extremely sharp. So sharp, in fact, that the person that helped them get it had to put an enchantment on it to make it a bit duller, just so Gourry could sheath it.

Most info for later in the series comes from the novels/manga, some of which is either in a different order, or contradictory. And the novels have only been translated to book 8, of 15 (I think it's 15). Like in the novels, Hellmaster sent Gorn Nova back to Darkstar. In fact, he captured Gourry with it at the beginning, in order to lure Lina to him. The sword IS part of a Mazoku, so Hellmaster could do interesting things with it, like conjure black tentacles from it. From what I understand, the third anime series was unique to the anime.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:24 pm

I read somewhere that Gourry actually wounded Shabranigdo's astral body with the Blast Sword late in the novels. Beyond that, everything I know about it has already been mentioned.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Thanks for all the answers. Now I have some questions...
-How many generations are there between Gourry and his ancestor Rowdy, from the Slayers motion picture?

-On a similar topic, is Gourry elven-blooded or not? I've seen some sources claim that he is, others that he isn't.

-Dragons in the Slayersverse vary a lot in intelligence, from mindless brutes like the black dragon from the very first episode, to 'intelligent monsters' like the homosexual crossdressing sea dragon, to fully sentient beings like Filia and... whatshisname, Milgasia, the golden dragons from TRY and NEXT. Are there any specific guidelines on dragon types and their relative intellects in the Slayersverse?

-What spells, through the course of the anime, are sealed or otherwise become useless?

-Just what are the advantages and disadvantages (bar the social ones) of Zelgadis's chimera body?

-Speaking of Zelgadis, is it possible that the magic involved in creating his chimera body was structured so that only Rezo and/or maybe Shabranigdu could undo it? Meaning that, even if he did manage to find a copy of the exact spell Rezo used on him, he still wouldn't be able to cure himself?

-Actually, is it likely that there exists a physical copy of the 'convert to magi-golem' spell Rezo used on him? And if it does exist, what is the likelihood that it was destroyed during the Slayers' assaults on Rezo's labs in the first two seasons?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:06 pm

After Slayers Next, all spells that call on Gaav or Phibrizzo become useless, as their power source no longer exists. For Gaav, this means Gaav Flare. For Hellmaster, this means Ragna Blast (Which is totally unrelated to the Ragna Blade). These are the only spells associated to those Mazoku.

Should anything happen to Zelas, then Zelas Bring would stop working. If anything happened to Dolphin, then Dolph Zork and Dolph Strash would stop working. If Anything happened to Grauscherra, then Dynast Brass and Dynast Breath would stop working. If Ruby-Eye died, Dragon Slave would stop working.

There could be other spells powered by the greater Mazoku, those are just the ones explicitly listed.

Giga Slave is not sealed away. However, the only person who knows the completed version of the spell is Lina, and she refuses to use it, because she knows exactly what it is capable of. Zelgadis may know the incomplete version (He did see Lina use it against Shaburanigdo), but he refuses to use it for the same reasons she does.

Generations between Rowdy and Gourry: Unspecified.

Is Gourry descended from Meliroon? No. Rowdy and Meliroon were childhood sweethearts, but by the time she would have been old enough to have children, he would have been an old man. Elves do have considerably longer lifespans than humans do, and in the Slayerverse, that extends to a longer childhood as well.

Advantages of Zel's body? Presumably greater strength (That's what Rezo promised), definitely greater durability, as shown by the scene in Try where he blocks a cannonball with his head, and in Season one, when all a slash to the gut by Dilgear accomplished was to damage the sword.

The general consensus on Zelgadis' body in the novels is that undoing a chimera transformation is sort of like trying to unmix a drink. The golem and demon parts of his body are too intertwined with the human parts for a spell to be able to reliably tell them apart, and without that first step, actually trying to unravel the extra parts of his body would be impossible. Even with the spell, he would have to be able to say 'This is the true Zelgadis Greywyrds. Remove all extraneous things from his body', and he can't do that without being able to examine every cell in his body and figure out which ones are human. Or unravel his own DNA and figure out which sections are human.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:45 pm

After Slayers Next, all spells that call on Gaav or Phibrizzo become useless, as their power source no longer exists. For Gaav, this means Gaav Flare. For Hellmaster, this means Ragna Blast (Which is totally unrelated to the Ragna Blade). These are the only spells associated to those Mazoku.

Actually, Ragna Drive can be attributed to Phibrizzo as well. I don't think it's seen in the anime, however.

Also, there are a few links that contain information on the various dragons located here. There may be more info at Inverse.org, but it's been a while since I last looked at it for any length of time.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:25 am

One final question for now; in the tail of season 1, I think it's episode 24, Prince Philonel suddenly appears to challenge Copy Rezo/Zanaffar. How is it that Zelgadis recognizes this man immediately as Amelia's father?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Hazard » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:09 am

It's Episode 25 actually, that Phil charges in. Gourry shows he's not always stupid and recognizes him, calling him Phil-san in the Japanese version and Prince Philionel in the English, followed by Amelia calling him 'tou-san and daddy respectively. Zelgadis already knows Amelia is the Princess of Sailune, so it's easy enough for him to deduce who Phil is in any case.

Of course, most notably, it's not Zelgadis that identifies him, it's Gourry, so I didn't need to get that longwinded...
The measure of someone's sanity is decided by popular vote.
Hazard
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:31 pm

New question: in the dubbed anime, Amelia refers to Alfred as 'uncle'. Now, seeing as how he is the son of her father's younger brother, and thus her cousin, I'm assuming that this is a bad translation of a title of respect- is this so?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Ezvir » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:27 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:New question: in the dubbed anime, Amelia refers to Alfred as 'uncle'. Now, seeing as how he is the son of her father's younger brother, and thus her cousin, I'm assuming that this is a bad translation of a title of respect- is this so?

She simply calls him Alfred, no title or anything.
Ezvir
Senshi Cadet

Postby camk4evr » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:26 pm

I thought I'd add a couple of tidbits about Slayers spells that were mentioned in the novels.
1)According to Phibrizzo, the reason he wanted Lina to cast the Perfect Giga Slave instead of casting it himself is that casting spells eats away at yur spirit or soul (which apparently regenerates over time) and since Mazoku are made up entirely of spiritual power just casting spells can injure and weaken them and really powerfull spells, like the Giga Slave, will consume the mazoku long before they can finish casting the spell.

2) Mazoku lords (like Gaav, Phibrizzo, and Zelas) can counter/negate spells up to and including the Dragon Slave and only by catching them by surprise (or by multiple people casting the spell) will the spell be effective. They can also leave a piece of themselves behind to take the hit as they escape.
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:06 pm

Interesting. Some facts from me:
1: despite common assumption among the fans, Xellos is not both the Priest and the General of Beastmaster Zelas. He is simply a Priest- however, because he has no General counterpart, he is twice as powerful as an ordinary Priest or General.

2: the fanon belief that Luna Inverse and Zelas are friends stems from an eyecatch in TRY, in which Luna is depicted going walking with a wolf-creature. This creature is actually Dilgear, the half-troll wolfman who served Rezo in the first half of The Slayers. After he resurrected himself, Luna took him in as a pet- she calls him Spot. In reality, as Luna Inverse is the Knight of Ceipheed, and thus roughly analoguous to a Paladin, she and Zelas would be deadly enemies if they ever met.

3: Deep Sea Dolphin, despite fan assumptions, is neither insane nor hostile towards her 'sister' Zelas.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Hazard » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Mazoku can cast spells actually, but they never cast any spells that depend on a power other than their own. Or atleast, those mazoku that are fully spiritual life forms don't. To do so is to deny their own power. And as their own power is their own life, to do that is suicide. Shamanism doesn't have that problem, or atleast, or not that much as drawing power from other demons, especially from demons more powerfull than they are.

Also, Phibrozzo did negate the incomplete version of the Giga Slave. It hurt him, doing that, but he still managed it. The good thing, however, is that the sheer amount of effort means you could, in theory, kill him with 2 of them at the same time.
The measure of someone's sanity is decided by popular vote.
Hazard
Senshi Cadet

Next

Return to Anime / Manga