Some Slayers questions

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Postby FOG3 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:12 pm

These give some more info regarding magic for the Slayer's Universe:
inverse.org's list
List with at least an attempt at notion of who's cast what when, organized along the schools.
A persons opinion on such things as related to Slayers Glorious.

As for why she hates slugs, no reason was given in the novels when that came up and the novels are written from her perspective with her often launching into explanation of various things. The novels also do not have the magic dumbed down like the anime does, and the whole power balance is very different most notably in regards to the Sword of Light which is just about the only thing that'll actually hurt a normal high level Mozaku in the novels while being treated as basically worthless in the animated series.

Seems as how I don't feel others really addressed it in the novels Copy Rezo is the result of a fusion between a Mozaku and a Rezo clone as part of Rezo's experimentation and Halcyform merges with a Mozaku that's basically Seigram's minion. Copy Rezo in the novels is nothing to sniff at either. Zelgadis himself being a human that was modified into a chimera that's 1/3 human, 1/3rd Golem, and 1/3 Blow Demon. There's never any indication that this kind of things can be done without use of chimera technology, but chimera technology is shown to be rather commonly available to the various powerful mages. Mozaku being able to reproduce sexually with a human honestly makes absolutely no sense given what they are.

The Second Slayers Novel goes into this, although the third one is also relevant. I would also suggest the fifth Slayer's novel as it contains some very important information in regards to the nature of magic in the Slayer's universe.
FOG3

Postby bissek » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:34 pm

I believe the generally accepted reason for Lina fearing slugs is because one of the punishments her sister used to use on her (possibly after the notorious incident when Lina created an illusion spell that showed Luna bathing and cast it for guys in town for money) somehow involved slugs.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:50 am

I read somewhere that, in Slayers NEXT (maybe The Slayers), Zelgadis apparently says something that makes out he knows about Amelia's elder sister running away after their mother was assassinated- or at least he's heard rumors about this. Is this true? If it is, can anyone tell me what episode he says it, an/or what exactly he says?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:52 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Now that I'm thinking of it, is there any canon evidence to why Lina is so afraid of slugs?

I can't remember which episode number it is but when they encounter the mage who make the Mazoku Pledge when down in his dungeon Lina runs into a bunch of slugs and freaks out. Quite badly. And by badly I mean freaked enough to call out for Luna. And Lina is terrified of Luna.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:13 pm

In pretty much every Slayers fanfic I've read that includes them, Filia calls Xellos "Namagomi", which is usually explained to translate as "Raw Garbage". I'm presuming this happens only in the Japanese langauge version of the anime (Filia being an anime-only character, after all), but how often does she call him that? When does she call him that? And what does she call him instead in the dubbed version?

I've also read mentions of Xellos making some claim about preferring to write a report on Morning Glories than do... something... with Filia. Is this from canon or what?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:56 pm

Just some final questions:
*Why did magic dwindle in the land outside the barrier, while it became predominant within the barrier?
*While they would naturally need to translate from Draconic first, could the white wizards of the inner kingdom begin to learn Holy Magic?
*With the barrier down and sorcerers emigrating from the inner kingdoms, will magic return to the outer kingdoms? Or will the magic prowess of the inner kingdoms "bleed away", so they eventually lose all of their magic as the outers did?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Hazard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:03 am

The reason magic dwindled outside and prospered inside the barrier is probably a result of the hightened Mazoku presence inside while they got to be pretty uncommon outside. Magic is shown as the only really effective method of getting rid of any demons not depending on a physical body. Without this pressure outside, learning magic became less a necessity and more a convenience or speciality, while technology provided a better method of getting things done, or atleast one that was more reliable. Inside this didn't happen because A, magic was necessary versus demons and B, the studies needed to learn magic to fight demons proved pretty usefull in many other ways.
Well, this is probably true anyway. There are other explanations that might work just as well.

While it's unlikely that white wizards would be the first to learn these magics again, the priests would certainly atleast try. And probably be able to pull offthe Divine Magics once they figure out how it all interacts, similar to how Black Magic and Shamanism is learned in The Slayers. It is strongly implied after all, that Divine and Black Magic are closely related in how to use them.

It's difficult to say what will happen, mostly because we have no idea just how and why magic bled from the outer kingdoms. If we go by the idea listed above, it also depends on how many more Mazoku were inside than outside, as well as how active they become outside the barrier relative to how active they were before. We are talking about a matter that will develop over atleast a century, and possibly more. If the Mazoku step up their attacks outside the barrier and maintain their level of attacks inside, I can see magic returning to the outer kingdoms.
Should they do the opposit, drop the levels of activity considerably in the inner kingdoms and not increase the levels outside, or have the increase be small enough to be unnoticeable, there is a good chance magic will become much more uncommon.
The measure of someone's sanity is decided by popular vote.
Hazard
Senshi Cadet

Postby bissek » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:24 am

The problem with that theory is that the only forms of magic that can harm Mazoku are Black, Holy, and Spiritual Shamanism (White doesn't have offensive spells, and Elemental Shamanism doesn't do Astral damage, which makes it useless against an Astral-based lifeform). That leaves five branches of magic that are useless against Mazoku, all of which are still in use inside the barrier and not out.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Hmm... I wonder... I'm probably barking mad, but might it be possible that it was the Dragons of the Outer Kingdoms that are responsible for their lack of magic? I mean, I might be wrong, but isn't the problem lack of lore, rather than low magic capacity? Given that the Goldens destroyed the Ancients because they feared the "threat" they presented, is it possible that, realising it was magic alone that allowed humans and the like to threaten them, they decided to destroy all sources of arcane lore?

And before anyone asks why they would destroy the teachings of white & shamanistic magic, all magic in the Slayersverse relies upon the same fundament; invocation. Even if they destroyed all of the black magic lore, someone would eventually puzzle out that they could call upon Mazoku power in the same way they did elemental or God power. The only way would be to destroy all of the lores, and thus leave nothing for human wizards to study in the future.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:21 pm

Another possibility is that at the time of the sealing all the major Magic users and mystic lore was, for one reason or another, gathered in the area the barrier secluded.

IIRC the barrier was made shortly a war between the Dragons and at least some of the Mazoku Lords, It's possible that this could have resulted in such a gathering whether by Human/mortal mages migrating to the "frontlines" or because being in the area required researching and improving magic to survive the crossfire.

Another option is the Claire Bible. We know that various segments of it have been found at different times and resulted in various power spells and other things. could some more minor parts of it have helped the development of magic within the barrier by giving the people something to work off of, while outside it mages would have to start from scratch?
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby bissek » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:45 pm

That's theoretically possible. The only things that have proven to be created from the Clair Bible are the Giga Slave, the Ragna Blade, and Zanaffar, but other things could have been drawn from it.

But some of the really big spells, like Blast Bomb and Dragon Slave, were developed before the Clair Bible existed, so that might not be the case. After all, both those spells were invented by Rei Magnus, who started the Dark Resurrection War, which created the Clair Bible as a byproduct of its final battle. And the barrier was created shortly after that war ended.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Hazard » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:58 am

One last possibility for the decline we haven't considered yet is that rather that it was the Dragons that were responsible for the destruction of the lore, it was the Mazoku. This way, they would rid themselves of the greatest threat humanity would pose for them. And it's known that Xellos at the very least was destroying Clair Bible manuscripts for this very reason. Or do you think that his claiming these things are dangerous was meant to apply to anything other than dangerous to Mazoku?
The measure of someone's sanity is decided by popular vote.
Hazard
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:43 am

That undeniably makes sense, but isn't Xellos after the manuscripts in the manga to destroy the secret to creating Zanaffars? And, also, don't the Dark Lords freely allow humans to draw on their power via black magic because that allows them to unleash more destruction and cause more pain & fear?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:57 am

One manuscript that Xelloss destroyed described how to make Zenaffa armor, which if done incorrectly creates a Zanaffar (Offhand, I'd say the manuscript Xelloss burned was missing a step, given that the people who used it had a 100% failure rate). Another manuscript he had destroyed before the story officially started described the Lord of Nightmares. Since Lina was able to use the information she gained from talking to someone who had read that piece before it was torched to create the Giga Slave and Ragna Blade, one can easily see why most Mazoku wouldn't want that particular manuscript around.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Drawde » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:32 am

I think the novels stated that Xellos was destroying the manuscripts to keep the humans from being a threat to the mazoku. The Zannafars being a case for that, since the original was created for that specific purpose. And the people making it were successful. It's just that making one killed whoever wore the armor (pretty much as food for the Zannafar), and they couldn't be controlled.

Also, the Clair Bible had no connection to the Aqua Dragon in the novels. It was just something that came about during the War.
Unless I say otherwise, if I'm discussing Ranma canon, I'm talking about the MANGA.
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Anime / Manga