http://kanzaka.wikia.com/wiki/Xelloss

And for Deep Sea
http://kanzaka.wikia.com/wiki/Deep_Sea_Dolphin
Come to the Spork side of the force!
Spammaster Rank S
Truk
Senshi Cadet

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Okay, here are some new questions from me: firstly, while I know that Melliroon is not related to Gourry, is her childhood friend Rowdy Gabriev actually related to Gourry?

Next, some questions inspired by the Slayers D20 rpg setting; in that game, there are a number of "half-race" templates, to better represent the various crossbreeds & fusions that pop up throughout the show (Zelgadis, Dilgear, Valgaav). Two of the templates availible are Half-Demon and Half-Dragon. My questions tied to this info are as follows:
Firstly, is it canonically possible for dragons to crossbreed with other races? I know that it would be extremely rare, but is it possible?
Secondly, the Half-Demon template claims that while some/most such beings are the results of magical fusion (ala Zelgadis), it also claims that it is possible for demons to crossbreed sexually, as they have physical bodies as well as Astral ones, unlike Monsters/Mazoku. Does this contradict canon?

With Zelgadis and his stone body, is only his skin stone, or did Rezo's magic basically convert his entire body to organic silicon? In less fancy talk; has he just been encased in a skin-tight 'shell' of stone, or have all of his tissues been transmuted into living stone, making him, basically, a sentient, animate statue?

Finally, a number of questions about Naga the White Serpent:
-While it's a canon fact that she took up her mantle after her mother was killed by an assassin, is it possible that the trauma of that event has given her a case of mental damage? Something along the lines of repressed memories or a split personality, so that Naga (as Lina knows her) is different from Gracia Seyruun?

-Additionally, or alternatively, could this be why Naga drinks so much? It is heavily implied that she at least has a drinking problem, if not outright alcoholism.

-It's mentioned in a few places that Naga's golems tend to go out of control; can anyone tell me when this has happened and what happened?

-Just how intense is Naga's fear of blood?

-How long did Naga & Lina travel together anyway? I know that she met Lina two years before Lina met Gourry (ages 13 & 15 respectively), but Lina could have parted ways from her anywhere from a few weeks to 21 months ago by the time she met her dumb knight of a protector.

-Is it known where/why Naga parted ways with Lina?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Rowdy is Gourry's (unknown # of greats) grandfather, as is shown by both of them having inherited Gorun Nova. That's actually a semi-slipup by the scriptwriters. If Lina had known that the Gabriev family had owned the Sword of Light and was adamant about keeping it from her adventure in Mipross, she would have remembered the name Gabriev when she met Gourry.

Dilgear is half werewolf, half troll. That's the only explicitly named crossbreed in Slayers that wasn't created magically (At least, there is no evidence that he was created magically).

If you mean dragon as in like Filia or Milgasia, possibly. If you mean Dragon as in Shinsoku (Polar opposite of Mazoku, such as Aqua, Sirius, Erulogos or Almayce), I'm not sure. The body of a Shinsoku or Mazoku is an arbitrary physical projection of an Astral form that they can alter or discard at will. At one point Hellmaster's body was the entire city of Sairaag, and at another one of his subordinates chose to appear as Hellmaster's child form to lure Lina into a trap. The only reason Xelloss always appears as a purple haired human with violet eyes is because he's gotten into the habit of appearing like that, and changing his appearance while dealing with people he wants to be recognized by would cause unneeded inconvenience. Since Hellmaster was able to turn part of his body into food that Lina could safely eat and digest until such point as he chose to convert it into something else while in her stomach, I suppose there's no reason a powerful (or more accurately, intelligent) Mazoku couldn't create human-compatible sperm to impregnate a human with if they wanted to. But since all physical traits of a Mazoku are totally arbitrary, the inherited traits of the child would be hard to predict.

I'm not sure how much of Naga's personality defects (extreme arrogance, annoying laugh, etc), come from witnessing her mother's death, but that is the source of her blood phobia. It is also known to be the source of her fashion sense, since she had gotten that bikini out of her mother's closet.

And seeing the blood on Jeffrey's sword after he inflicted a light scratch on a bandit by a sheer fluke caused her to pass out.

Examples of Naga's golems losing control: First movie: Dragon golem created with a head five times the size of its body, causing it to overbalance and fall off the mountain, destroying just about everything in the valley below. Second movie: Humanoid golem created to stop out of control elvish war machine. It somehow fell in love with the war machine and joined it in smashing up the countryside.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Just to clarify, I meant Dragon as in the drakes (Filia, Milgisia), not as in the Dragon Kings/Shinzoku.

Not sure why I'm bringing it up now, but the RPG said that Half-Mazoku only originated from magic because they are purely Astral beings whose 'material' bodies are merely projections from the Astral Plane. A Half-Mazoku would be someone like Valgaav (a mortal transformed into a Mazoku-like being), or even Gaav (Mazoku Lord continuously reborn into a human body). Though, as you pointed out, given how malleable a Mazoku's projection is, the idea that they could create 'offshoots' of themselves to act like reproductive cells isn't that farfetched.

The claim I was contending with was it's claim that Demons have a physical body as well as an astral one, which allows them to crossbreed (though they are not especially likely to do so) with mortals. Does this claim of theirs contradict canon?

On the topic of Naga and golems, does she only mess up when using her homebrewed "Mega Vu Vraimer" spell, which is half Astral shamanism and creates more intelligent golems, or has she messed up with the basic Vu Vraimer as well? If yes, which one is she more likely to screw up with?

Also, does Naga eat like Lina does (and like Amelia does when she travels with her), or does she restrict her gluttony to drinking alcohol?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:56 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:The claim I was contending with was it's claim that Demons have a physical body as well as an astral one, which allows them to crossbreed (though they are not especially likely to do so) with mortals. Does this claim of theirs contradict canon?

If remember correctly Brass and Blow(?) demons are lesser Mazoku. Unlike their more powerful brethren, they don't have the power to enter the material plane (without help) nor create a body. If they want to physically interact with the world then they must possess some other creature (they can alter the form of whatever they possess, however).
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:42 am

I don't think that's right, because I recall a Brass Demon getting summoned out of thin air by Randy and his nameless wizard in season 1, materializing with his own body, and Blow Demons are basically the Mazoku equivalent of Goblins, amongst the weakest demons of all. Not to mention the fact that they were a common enemy in some Slayers rpg video game.

Some just questions on dragons while I'm thinking; are the Gold(Golden?) Dragons of Dragon's Peak in Slayers NEXT a regional variant of the Golden Dragons from beyond the barrier (in Slayers TRY), or are they an entirely seperate type of dragon?

Also, given that Black and Gold Dragons shared Dragon's Peak, is it possible for dragons of different types to crossbreed?

Given the mass-slaughter inflicted by Erulogis and Sirius in the retrieval of the final DarkStar Weapon, have the Golden Dragons been wiped out? Or did they merely slaughter the populace of one temple?

Finally, does the "Supreme Elder" from TRY have any authority over the Dragons as a whole, or is/was he simply the leader of the Fire Dragon King's Temple from which Filia came?
Last edited by SpaceKnight of Chaos on Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:10 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Just to clarify, I meant Dragon as in the drakes (Filia, Milgisia), not as in the Dragon Kings/Shinzoku.

The differences between the Ryuzoku and Shinozoku is one of degree, not type. Dragons are equivalent to lesser Mazoku effectively, though they exist more strongly on the physical plane than mazoku.

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:Not sure why I'm bringing it up now, but the RPG said that Half-Mazoku only originated from magic because they are purely Astral beings whose 'material' bodies are merely projections from the Astral Plane. A Half-Mazoku would be someone like Valgaav (a mortal transformed into a Mazoku-like being), or even Gaav (Mazoku Lord continuously reborn into a human body).

Valgaav wasn't mortal, he was an Ancient Dragon. Even before being altered by Gaav his inherent power was probably a match for all but the strongest mazoku.

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:On the topic of Naga and golems, does she only mess up when using her homebrewed "Mega Vu Vraimer" spell, which is half Astral shamanism and creates more intelligent golems, or has she messed up with the basic Vu Vraimer as well? If yes, which one is she more likely to screw up with?

Her Mega Vu Vraimer is the more likely to backfire since if I remember correctly its not entirely stable. It's hard to tell what's an actuall screw up though becuase Naga has a warped sense of aesthetics. She creates her golems with odd proportions deliberately.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby bissek » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:10 am

Sirius and Erulogos wiped out that clan of Gold Dragons (other than Filia), not all of them. The Supreme Elder was head of that clan, not of all Golds in general.

The Gold Dragons at Dragon's Peak would have started as the same kind as the ones outside the barrier, but a genetic drift would have started once they were separated by the barrier. Given how long dragons live, 500-1000 (anime and novels differ on this) years of separation probably isn't enough time for them to have become different species, though.

Can Golds, Blacks and Ancients interbreed? Unknown.

Naga does eat like Lina does, she is seen battling with Lina over food a couple of times, such as the opening to Slayers Return.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Hazard » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:15 am

It is implied that Zelgadis has been completely transformed, and not merely his outer skin.

And although this is just speculation on my part, it's quite possible that Naga and Lina split up after Lina first tried the Giga Slave.
Amusingly, it seems that by the time of book 8 Lina knows or atleast suspects that Amelia and Naga are sisters.

I know that Gracia has also created an experimental water shamanism spell that constantly rains freeze arrows or a similar spell. Unfortunately, she has no way of controllig where these things land and it;s impossible to shut down without destroying the spell.
The measure of someone's sanity is decided by popular vote.
Hazard
Senshi Cadet

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:37 am

Sirius and Erulogos wiped out that clan of Gold Dragons (other than Filia), not all of them. The Supreme Elder was head of that clan, not of all Golds in general.

The Gold Dragons at Dragon's Peak would have started as the same kind as the ones outside the barrier, but a genetic drift would have started once they were separated by the barrier. Given how long dragons live, 500-1000 (anime and novels differ on this) years of separation probably isn't enough time for them to have become different species, though.

The clans that Milgasia and Filia respectively belonged to worshiped/worked for different dragon kings, anyhow.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:52 pm

One final question on Naga; I'm sure I read somewhere that she uses magic to avoid suffering from hangovers due to her constant drinking. Is this canon? If yes, is the spell she uses a common one, or a homebrewed one?

Also, what are the most powerful 'conventional' spells for each branch of magic? White, Holy, Black, and the five branches (Air, Astral, Earth, Fire, Water) of Shamanism? I know that Black Magic's is the Dragon Slave, and that Astral Shamanism's is the Ra Tilt, and that we don't really know enough about Holy magic to know what its most powerful spell could be, but what about the other lores of magic?

How many branches of magic can an ordinary human (aka, not some prodigy like Lina or a special type like Lei Magnus or Rezo) learn successfully anyway?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:59 pm

I remember that fire's is the Burst Flare. Don't know about the others.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Alathon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:29 pm

CRBWildcat wrote:I remember that fire's is the Burst Flare. Don't know about the others.

Hard to say, but Vlave Howl is probably the strongest Earth spell I've seen in Slayers.. though given that it's manipulating magma, I suppose it could be either Fire or Earth.

For Air, probably Bomb di Wind.

For Water, probably Demona Crystal.

Also.. I think the most powerful fire shamanism spell is actually Blast Bomb.
"Last week, I tried praying. But I found I was only talking to myself. Don't worry, I learned my lesson last time. This time, no disciples!" - N. Reynolds, To Tell a Hawk from a Handsaw
Alathon
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Whoops, that's right. Should've said that Burst Flare was the strongest that could be cast without exceeding the user's capacity. My bad.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:02 pm

Now that I'm thinking of it, is there any canon evidence to why Lina is so afraid of slugs?

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Anime / Manga