Questions about the Zentraedi (Robotech)

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:57 pm

Just some questions that have occured to me while watching the final boxset of the Macross saga.
-How was it Khyron ended up on Earth when, in his last appearance in "The Messenger", he was directing his followers to flee the area to avoid Dolza's main fleet?

-Why did Azonia side with Khyron during the "Zentraedi Uprisings" anyway, given that she fought on Breetai's side during the struggle against Dolza?

-Come to think of it, why did Khyron get away with all of the stunts he pulled during the Macross saga? I mean, isn't it rather counterproductive to leave forces in charge of an obviously unstable and/or egomanical individual like Khyron?

-Is Exedore's size and appearance due to genetic defects, or is it part of his cloneline? After all, one of the three Zentraedi spies (can't really recall their names) isn't much taller...

-Speaking of which, is it known what happened to those three spies after the Zentraedi Uprisings? The last I recall seeing of them, they were evidently working at various low-class jobs (laundrymen, cornerstall owners).

-As the Zentraedi reproduced, pre-integration into humanity, via "clonelines", does that mean that any given individual has at least a dozen or "identical twins" scattered amongst the fleet?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:01 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:-Come to think of it, why did Khyron get away with all of the stunts he pulled during the Macross saga? I mean, isn't it rather counterproductive to leave forces in charge of an obviously unstable and/or egomanical individual like Khyron?

Officers are created into position, not promoted into it.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:05 am

Doesn't Breetai threaten to demote him/take away his command at one point though? Fairly early in the season, I think?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:44 am

On Exedore: I don't remember if the reasons for his appearance were actually given in TMS. I'd have to go back and watch the episodes. Nor do I remember the "Jack McKinney" explanation - I'd have to go pull the novels out of storage, for that.

Robotech Art 1 doesn't really say much about it, except: "His physical deformities have caused his exemption from combat, so Exedore has focused his energies on the study of Robotechnology." I'd always taken his appearance to be the result of an early experiment in cloning, as he was supposed to be one of the earliest clones/Zentraedi, if I remember correctly.

Robotech Art 3 tries to retcon a bit more history for him, as it covers The Sentinels.

"Exedore was the keeper of this mock history. The reason of this unusual role was the fact that Exedore was the first experiment in biogenetic engineering for the Zentraedi. His experiment was not successful and he came out with a slight deformity. This deformity (a twisted back and "dwarfish" size in relation to the other Zentraedi) forced him out of the warrior classification."
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:28 am

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:-Is Exedore's size and appearance due to genetic defects, or is it part of his cloneline? After all, one of the three Zentraedi spies (can't really recall their names) isn't much taller...

Clone line, at least in Macross. We meet one of his relatives in Frontier and he's just as short and weedy (for a Zentradi)

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:-Speaking of which, is it known what happened to those three spies after the Zentraedi Uprisings? The last I recall seeing of them, they were evidently working at various low-class jobs (laundrymen, cornerstall owners).

From the novels they died sometime while Dana was still a child, though after her parents left with the REF.

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:-As the Zentraedi reproduced, pre-integration into humanity, via "clonelines", does that mean that any given individual has at least a dozen or "identical twins" scattered amongst the fleet?

As stated in my first ansewer for Macross continuity at least that's a firm yes. Clones of Breetai, Exedore and Khyron are part of the 33rd Marine Battalion, as seen in Frontier. (For the record Exedore himself was last seen serving Max in the same capacity as he served Breetai on Macross 7)
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:05 pm

Exedore:
Robotech: The Jack McKinney explanation is pretty much the same as the Robotech Art 3 explanation that Mike Koos already gave

Macross: Exedol/Exedore is an archivist (assigned to Vrilthai/Breetai Kridinak) in the Zentraedi Army. We see a few others in Macross (Lap Lamis/Azonia has one and there's another in the Special Macross 7 episode "Fleet of the Strongest Women" and another in Frontier). Not all of them look like Exedore/Exedol. I would assume his appearance is because of genetic quirks that he had.

Khyron/Kamjin: He got results. Sure there was usually a bad side to using him (like his getting drunk and killing allied unit by mistake) but he usually made his objectives.

Kamjin/Khyron did, eventually, send his fleet into battle (possibly even on the side of humanity because if Bodole Zer/Dolza won then all of the Zentraedi Army elements that were initially sent to capture the Macross were going to be destroyed to prevent any other Zentraedi from coming into contact with those 'infected' by culture)

Lap Lamis/Azonia: She probably joined Kamjin/Khyron for the same reasons that other zentraedi did (they became bored/disillusioned with the human lifestyle). Keep in mind that she had only joined Breetai because it was her only chance for survival (also, I think Khyron rescued her before her ship was destroyed. I'd have to double check)

Cloning: There probably is 'identical twins' of many of the characters scattered among the fleet as well as others with similar enough genetics to be siblings.

Also, not all officers are created into their position. The spies were offered a ship command as reward for infiltrating the Macross and Breetai/Vrilthai started off with one fleet under his commanded and ended up with four before joining the humans (the Kidinak fleet was his initial one, then he received Kamjin's fleet as reinforcements, then, when he returned he was placed in command of the Adoclass fleet and Lap Lamis/Azonia's fleets)
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Previous

Return to Anime / Manga