Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Re: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

Postby Uldihaa » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:03 am

Knight of L-sama wrote:Actually Funi doesn't help matters. The official subs for season one also jump between Raising and Raging on the first disc.

Really? *slaps forehead* Now that is just... wow, major fail. Amusing though :lol: .
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby AshK1980 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:23 pm

I don't remember posting in here, did I?
AshK1980
Cosmic Power Senshi

Postby Not-Going-to-Tell » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:25 pm

Right, Vidvid to chapter 5, Force to chapter 1, and the movie manga are translated and linked from nanochan. Please ignore the Het thread, as there is an troll there who cannot accept the idea of anyone thinking of any pairings except NanoFate, and goes out of their way to make sure everyone is knows that.

I want to punch that person from across the internet
Not-Going-to-Tell
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:28 am

I want to punch that person from across the internet

If it helps, you aren't the only one. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I meet far too many Nano/Fate fanatics who treat the pairing as if it's sacred; it's so close to being canon at this point that I generally don't bother to argue that it isn't, but a lot of people try to tell me that it's the only possible pairing, that all art depicting Nanoha or Fate with someone else is an abomination or whatever. These people desperately need to learn the difference between fantasy and reality, or otherwise get the hell off of our internet.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:15 am

Not-Going-to-Tell wrote:I want to punch that person from across the internet

Yeah, we found one of those in a Nanoha thread on another forum I visit. Started getting pissy and in fairly short order got the thread closed. The ironic thing it was on shoujoai.com where Nanoha/Fate is more or less the default position.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby AdmiralTigerclaw » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:59 am

N/F is Legion, for they are MAAAANY.

But on a serious note. The best weapon against N/F Legion is to point out how utterly absurd they're being in a logical, highly sophisticated context with the liberal application of TACT.

"You DO realize that you seem to be getting all bent out of shape like a pretzel over a pair of completely fictional characters... right? It seems to me to be rather unhealthy to obsess over this to the point where one seems to lose their handle on what is reality, and what is fantasy."

This usually shuts them up right quick so long as you haven't shot yourself in the foot by being the hypocrite and they call you on it.
Works on just about any Rabid Fan. Simply apply a simple logical formula.
1: Point out that the characters/plot/event/pairing/whatever in question is a fantasy and that it's not real.
2: Point out that the reaction of target person is as if the characters/plot/event/pairing/whatever IS real...
3: Make a note that the inability to distinguish reality and fantasy is considered an unhealthy mental state.
4: If your wording hasn't done so already, reinforce that confusing fantasy with reality is exactly what they're doing, and that something is wrong with that.

Points to watch out for when wording the Anti-Rabid response...
- Never EVER label them. Never call them crazy, never say they are mentally disturbed, unhealthy, obsessed... etc. None of this directly, EVER. In debate, it is an Ad Hominem Fallacy, and anyone sharp enough will dog the argument.
- Never say that they ARE obsessing. The natural reaction is the Denial response. Refference the action from an objective perspective and not the person. Point out how the action by itself is absurd, not the person. 'This seems...' 'That appears...' rather than 'You seem to be...' etc.
- If you do choose to address them directly. Do so only on observational comments and in a wording that shows that you are making an observation, not a judgement.
- Keep it short. The temptation to turn the response into a rant is huge, but keep it down to a few paragraphs max. You response has to be 'The Man With The Golden Gun'. Not to mention the smaller your response, the less ammo you give them.

-NEVER LOSE YOUR COMPOSURE. Once you plant yourself on the high ground of logic, you must maintain composure. The more desperate they get, the more absurd they get...

With a well worded anti-rabid response in play, the opposition has only limited options.

A: They STFU out of realization they are being absurd.
B: They STFU because you gave them nothing to respond to.
C: They manage to pull a red herring argument out of nowhere and make complete fools of themselves.
D: They go batshit 5/yr old on you. (Name calling, wild accusations... You know how that works.)

A.B. are total victories on the spot. C.D. are half victories on the spot, and total if the local Moderation Staff are up to snuff and 'deal' with them the moment they come unglued. Thus, C and D end up being Self Solving much of the time.

Be warned, also avoid getting too far into the Duel of Oppinions. In this, if you give your oppinion on a subjective topic, like your favorite pairing... Watch out for someone that tries to dissect your oppinion. (Usually a rabid fan.) They will attempt to take your oppinion apart (usually with liberal use of Quote Omnislash, a form Out of context quoting) and explain to you why each piece of your oppinion is flawed and/or wrong. The temptation is to counter-argue the point by either justifying your oppinions in analytical breakdowns, or attack their oppinions. The problem with this... is there is no CORRECT position, and no evidence to support it.

The best option is to disengage here and point out that the argument is devolving into a duel of oppinions and that there is no correct position. If they choose to persist, they're probably going to make themselves game for the Anti-Rabid Response within a post or three. Be ready to pounce.
Most are sane, and will back down upon recognizing the Duel of Oppinion.

Also: Never go into an argument without your tools. Just as a soldier does not go to war without his weapons, you should not go into an argument without the ability to identify complete horseraddish.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/

I suggest becoming incipidly familliar with 'Ad Hominem' and its Variants, as well as 'Straw Man' and 'Red Herring'. And learning to recognize these attacks without having to refference the list.

'Ad Hominem' deals with attacks to you, your circumstances, or your qualifications in an attempt to discredit your argument indirectly.

'Straw man' is a favorite of forum goers everywhere. Any time someone takes your point, throws it against new context, often exaggerated in their favor, and then attacks the completely altered argument is guilty of a Straw Man. You want to be able to spot these instantly, because its so easy to derail the argument with a Straw Man and manipulate the unprepared into a trap argument, and you also need to be able to distinguish them from legitimate 'would be like...' counter-arguments.

The Red Herring is a kind of 'Misdirection' logical fallacy, Or a bait and switch tactic. The opponent can't win the argument of the current topic, so they lead you into an alternate topic they can win, and then pounce.

Read the list, you'll get the idea.
Ernest 'Admiral Tigerclaw' Hart
OWNER: Samurai Penguin Studios
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SamuraiPenguinStudio
AdmiralTigerclaw
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:32 am

But on a serious note. The best weapon against N/F Legion is to point out how utterly absurd they're being in a logical, highly sophisticated context with the liberal application of TACT.

"You DO realize that you seem to be getting all bent out of shape like a pretzel over a pair of completely fictional characters... right? It seems to me to be rather unhealthy to obsess over this to the point where one seems to lose their handle on what is reality, and what is fantasy."

And sometimes one has to wonder on whether or not they ever really had a handle on reality in the first place, if they're willing to become that obsessed...

But yeah. This is why I prefer to avoid major discussions on the Internet, especially those involving my tastes in entertainment, unless I'm absolutely certain that I know what I'm talking about. Sure, I'm not as active, and yet I still feel happy with myself.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Queensarrow » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:48 pm

The first time Nanoha activates Raising Heart. from a couple different sources

"I, the one who accepted this mission
By the ancient contract,
order you to release your power!
the wind is in the sky
and the stars are in the heavens
and a resolute heart beats in my chest.
this magic in my hand
Raising Heart, set up!"

"I am the one who has been given a mission
under the contract release those powers to me
winds to the sky, and stars to the heavens
an unyielding soul to this heart
magic to these hands.
raging heart, set up!"

The differences in names makes sense when you consider the translations of the last few lines.

The second time she uses the long activation phrase. again a couple different sources.

Raging Heart lets go
The wind is in the sky
and the stars are in the heavens
The bright shining light is within my arms
and a resolute heart beats in my chest
Raging Heart, set up!

Let's go Raging Heart
winds to the sky, stars to the heavens
a bright shining(glimmering)
light to these arms
Raising Heart, Set up

Personally I think the second one makes more sense. the second time Nanoha
uses the long activation phrase she deliberately changes the name. between
the first and the second she meets Fate and "wants to see her smile". Thus
Nanoha changes the name from Raging Heart to Raising Heart.

on a somewhat related note, when was the first time Raising Heart called
Nanoha, Master?
Queensarrow
Initiate

Postby Uldihaa » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Not sure if ya'll have seen the official Nanoha movie trailer http://www.nanoha.com/yokoku_movie2.html.

I realize it's a bit late, considering the trailer ends with an opening date of 01/23/2010, but it is a damn cool trailer that shows some of the things changed.
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

Postby Quickshot0 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:06 am

Looks like the movie was a big success in Japan, so it's pretty likely we can expect more from this series in the future. :D
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Neko- » Fri May 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Hmm... I just saw the movie cropping up somewhere... Need to watch that sometime soon :)
Appointed Spammaster Rank D by Himitsu - June 21st 2006
Appointed Spammaster Rank C by Himitsu - September 2nd 2006
Prince of Bob (the Black Hole)
I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Fri May 14, 2010 4:59 pm

Yeah, but since the movie hasn't come out on BD or DVD in Japan take those things you've seen floating around with appropriate caution.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Fri May 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Uldihaa wrote:Not sure if ya'll have seen the official Nanoha movie trailer http://www.nanoha.com/yokoku_movie2.html.

I realize it's a bit late, considering the trailer ends with an opening date of 01/23/2010, but it is a damn cool trailer that shows some of the things changed.

It came out the same day as the Unlimited Blade Works movie if memory serves.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:23 pm

If you're hoping for a new story with the Nanoha movie, you'll be disappointed. The only real changes to non-flashback events is to explicitly show some pieces of Nanoha's training regimen. If you're hoping for something concerning Nanoha's family getting caught up in her lifestyle, you'll also be disappointed. They don't even get any lines.

What the movie does add to the Nanoha universe is considerable development into the characters of Precia, Fate (indirectly through the memories she inherited from Alicia), and to a significantly lesser extent, Aruf and Linith (Who had before only appeared in the 'trapped in the book' scenes of As).
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Uldihaa » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:57 pm

You know, I kinda feel sorry for poor Chrono in the first and second seasons. Why? Because, according to his wiki page he was fourteen, and barely taller than kids five years younger!

However, I really feel sorry for Lindy/Amy/Fate dealing with his appetite when those growth spurts finally kicked in! I can just imagine him gaining a fanon-Ranma level eating ability. :lol:

Just another odd thought!
Uldihaa
Senshi Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Anime / Manga