Evangelion question

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

Evangelion question

Postby antimatterenergy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:43 pm

I was reading a Ranma/Evangelion crossover earlier and a question occurred to me (actually a lot of questions considering that the last half is pretty confusing) the question in question is: How important is Rei to whatever goals they have? She is obviously important and needed for the movies and they need her to run tests on her to figure out how to make the dummy plugs. I ask because I had a smidgen of an idea for a Ranma/Evangelion crossover. In which Ranma does not defeat the Angels or really fights them but for some reason kidnaps Rei at beginning of series seriously messing up there plans particularly since she is still alive and they need the soul to activate another clone.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Daniel Jess Gibson » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:42 pm

I think Rei is critically important, because while the Reiquarium provides them an almost limitless supply of bodies, they have to have the soul. Unless you want to say they are wrong about only one Rei soul and they could have an entire army of Reis running around. Beyond the obvious, without Rei they couldn't blackmail Shinji to get him to pilot the first time, and she also continues to give him incentive that the others can't match.

Likewise Asuka needs 'Wondergirl' to scream at or she'll fray the nerves of the others far more quickly.

That said, if Ranma kidnapped Rei, they'd just have a sniper kill her and warm up a clone. Unit 01 is the only thing that absolutely cannot be replaced. Also, Ranma would then be facing the entire might of the UN, who would want his scalp on the wall for threatening the entire world. And since the regular army can't fight Angels, an insanely powerful martial artist would be just the thing to vent their frustration on. Does he have a technique that will stop an N2 mine? A howitzer barrage? Poisoned food? 60 kilos of Mentos and a a barrel of Diet Coke?

I believe there are several Ranma/NGE crossovers where Ranma is linked with Rei, one where Ranma is in Rei's head, and another where Rei is Ranma's cursed form. I'll have to dig the names up and let you take a look for them.

The problem with the crossover is that either Ranma loses his `slapstick` armor and violence and consequences become real, or NGE gains the slapstick effect and their actions loose a great deal of their force, because even if an Angel destroys the world, everything will be back at the end of the story arc. You might as well be fighting Marvin the Martian.

Excel dying, oh the horror. Hyatt dying, somebody get a mop!
Daniel Jess Gibson
Moon Senshi

Postby ToastedPine » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:16 pm

You forget that all you have to do is make Ranma uber beyond belief. Plenty of fics have done that. The actions of the NGE cast don't lose their force, Ranma just gets way more!

As for Rei, I really do wonder. Her origin is a complete mystery, and so is the nature of her soul. For all we know, they could just be keeping her around because it would be inconvenient to have a spare in some way. We don't know why Seele decided not to mess with her, which is kinda odd considering she's part of Gendo's ultimate plan. They at least know Rei is supremely important to Gendo.
ToastedPine
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:19 pm

they'd just have a sniper kill her and warm up a clone. Unit 01 is the only thing that absolutely cannot be replaced. Also, Ranma would then be facing the entire might of the UN, who would want his scalp on the wall for threatening the entire world. And since the regular army can't fight Angels, an insanely powerful martial artist would be just the thing to vent their frustration on. Does he have a technique that will stop an N2 mine? A howitzer barrage? Poisoned food? 60 kilos of Mentos and a a barrel of Diet Coke?

If I were to write a fic of this nature. First they wouldn't know that Ranma was the one to kidnap her. Second they'd have no idea where Ranma is so that limits them a great deal. Ranma is one person in billions and he does know stealth techniques -enough that he probably could sneak into and out of NERV at will without them noticing, if Rei is cooperating with him his chances would go up a great deal. Basically I was thinking about how Ranma could screw with the Evangelion universe to the greatest degree without powering up Ranma artificially or setting Ranma as he possible might be when he is older (to what degree and how he gets more powerful is unknown but he does have lots of ways).

Ranma is not powerful enough to go against an angel as he is (given 10 years time after he's fully developed physical with more techniques, power, and understanding of how ki and magic works maybe who knows -his universe is full of power-up several of which he not only knows about but has access to) so I ruled that out immediately.

I don't really want Ranma to just some how become a pilot - done to often and don't want to go that route.

Basically very loose idea is Ranma sneaks into NERV sees how they are treating her and takes for the hills with her screwing their plans royally in the process.

Ranma can be poisoned happens even in the manga (temp paralysis tea, Kodachi's food, etc..) and he probably wouldn't survive a Nuke (or N2 mine which is basically a nuke). He's tough but not that tough (though I suppose if he had enough warning he might be able to get far enough away or do like Ryoga and tunnel deep enough into the earth so as to survive it). Ranma's good but an entire modern army is beyond his current abilities (an older army that doesn't have modern weaponry he could probably take depending on certain factors) and he probably depending on the tactics he uses could take down a good number of them before they manage to take him down (for instance they aren't likely to use heavy artillery if close in with there ranks). But they would also be limited majorily in not knowing his abilities, where he is, etc.. No matter how powerful there weapons or number of people they have it's not going to matter much if they don't know where to use them or is in a place where the cost in using them out weighs the advantage.

Also would the UN intervene they don't know of how important Rei is and Gendo maybe keeping quite in how important to his plans she is. So Ranma may for awhile at least only have to deal with NERV forces and commendered local police which would most likely be well within his ability to handle.
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Bliss » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:30 pm

I think there was a fic that had Rei being "rescued" by Ranma...even if it was unfinished...

Montymouse - The Hunt For Two

And Rei is a Clone of Yui and Lilith(?) and houses the soul of Lilith (according to the Director's Cut.. *shrugs* I have no idea myself). So she's half of the equation when it comes to causing Third Impact... but I think the soul is the only thing indispensable, the body is easily replaceable.
Princess of Nyx (Nix)
Saving the world, One Bishie at a Time

Rank Up! Spammaster Rank C by Himi-chan Sept. 5, 2007
Appointed 'Universal Translator' by Cybses July 22, 2006
Bliss
Super Power Senshi

Postby camk4evr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:11 am

Rei is necessary for only one of the methods of causing a "good" Third Impact while Eva 1 is necessary for another, preferably with Rei as well (that was the reason they tested Eva 1 with Rei and Eva 0 with Shinji) though not totally necessary for the second method. If Rei were kidnapped they'd likely try to retrieve her first and then, if they can't get her back, use the sniper method DJG mentioned.

The UN would intervene since Rei is one of the only people who they know can pilot an Eva which makes her very important for the defence of Earth.

Seele didn't decide not to mess with her, they wanted Gendo to hand her over and he refused. Instead, he offered up Ritsuko as she wasn't necessary for his plans (and Rei was because, by this point they had lost the Lance of Longinus which they needed for the Eva 1 method of Impact).
camk4evr
Moon Senshi

Return to Anime / Manga