POLL: Dragonball Z - What's YOUR opinion?

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

What do you actually think of Dragonball Z?

Way too overhyped.
10%
Way too overhyped.
10%
Total Load of Rubbish.
12%
Total Load of Rubbish.
12%
Some of it's good, some of it's bad.
19%
Some of it's good, some of it's bad.
19%
Good series.
7%
Good series.
7%
Excellent overall.
No votes
Excellent overall.
No votes
Don't really care/not seen it.
2%
Don't really care/not seen it.
2%

Total votes : 136

Postby Alathon » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:52 pm

I voted "good series". In my estimation, up through the Saiyan Saga was pretty decent, and the end with Yajirobe de-tailing Vegeta was just plain funny. After that it went waaay downhill, most of the characters became irrelevant, way more time was spent on power-up silliness, etc etc.. we all know the drill.
However, throughout the course of it's run (all the way through GT), even as it got dumber and dumber, it remained funny as hell to watch when drunk or stoned, in the same sorta way as Conan the Barbarian is. While it became a downright stupid show, it retained a certain amount of entertainment value to the end.
Alathon
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Sanjuro » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:34 am

If I want to watch grown men have constipation, I will find a grown man with constipation. I will not watch an anime of a grown man haviong constipation!
Sanjuro
Senshi Cadet

Postby bissek » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:43 pm

Q: How many DBZ characters does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Only one, but it will take 10 episodes to do it - unless changing the lightbulb is a major story point, in which case it will take 26 episodes, the complete destruction of a major piece of the landscape, two wishes from the dragonballs, and Goku dying and being ressurected AGAIN.
It's ridiculous! I know that other animes have long fights at times - The final confrontation with the Juppongatana in Rurouni Kenshin took an entire season, but that confrontation consisted of eight discrete fights, none of which took longer than four episodes. In DBZ, one fight can last an entire season, and if you skip an episode or two, not much will have changed. If an episode ends with the decision to use an ultimate attack, the next episode will consist entirely of charging that attack, the episode after that with firing it, and the episode after that is devoted to seeing if it actually did any damage.
DBZ is the most popular BAD anime in the world. The storys take forever, the voice acting is terrible, everybody is overpowered AND IT NEVER HELPS. Honestly, if Vegeta can blow up the planet, why would he have trouble fighting anything living on it?
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby AscendedWarrior » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:26 pm

When I think of DBZ I can't help but wonder how they have trouble with any of their so called enemies... At the begining of the series Vegeta can blow up a planet, by the end of the series I wouldn't be supriesed if he was taking galaxies out with there suposed power.
The basic formula for a season of DBZ is as follows: Random filler, new enemy that cannot be beaten, long drawn out dialogue on new enemy, sudden power up by either Gohan or Goku, Goku dies, enemy defeated, use convenient(sp?) plot device (dragon balls) to revive Goku. :roll:
AscendedWarrior
Senshi Cadet

Postby MC80a Liberty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:30 am

I mostly agree with nuclear death frog, while the anime was never very interesting for me and suffered a bad translation I recently borrowed most of the Dragonball/ Dragonball Z manga from my local library, and while the later volumes do suffer from the aforementioned problems (and the whole "powerlevels" idiocy) it was nonetheless a fairly entertaining read so I went with some good, some bad.
MC80a Liberty
Senshi Candidate

Postby Atlan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:08 am

Dragonball Z gives a bad name to anime. Once, I mentioned anime in a conversation. Here is how the rest of the conversation went.
Them: Huh? Anime? WHats that?
Me: Its french for animation. Like, Cartoons.
Them: So you mean like Ed, Edd and Eddie, or Kim Posible?
Me: No, japanese cartoons.
Them: Whats the difference? Whats one Anime I might of heard of?
Me: Uhh.......... one you will definatly of heard of...... Dragon Ball Z?
Them: 'mutters' fucken baby (and I have left school, and have a beard, as a reference to judge that by)
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Eris » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:58 pm

DBZ is actually one of the rare series that while I have never seen it, I am quite ready and willing to condemn it whole-heartedly. Normally I'd abstain judgement, but honestly I have enough second-hand information about the series to say there's little redeeming about it. Hyper-powered characters, lack of development, forced romances, painfully slow pacing and so forth make me feel that it's not even worth the effort to confirm all these suspicions. Besides, the damage its down to the meta-community of anime is unforgivable.
Or maybe there's something about lacking a Y chromosome that makes me shy away from this sort of anime.
Eris
Senshi Candidate

Postby Atlan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:11 pm

I guess, the best way to sum up DBZ is: It great. If you're a 10 year old boy. For everyone else, its retarded, and watching it is damaging to your synapises.

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby MC80a Liberty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:28 pm

Eris wrote: snip
Hyper-powered characters, lack of development, forced romances, painfully slow pacing and so forth make me feel that it's not even worth the effort to confirm all these suspicions. Besides, the damage its down to the meta-community of anime is unforgivable.
Or maybe there's something about lacking a Y chromosome that makes me shy away from this sort of anime.
True enough, even in the manga the story starts switching over into the "tell, not show" style common to bad fanfics once it reaches the Z portion. Most noticeably with characters A and B hooking up and having a kid during a timeskip between the appearance of enemies.
MC80a Liberty
Senshi Candidate

Postby Sanjuro » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:34 pm

Eris wrote:DBZ is actually one of the rare series that while I have never seen it, I am quite ready and willing to condemn it whole-heartedly. Normally I'd abstain judgement, but honestly I have enough second-hand information about the series to say there's little redeeming about it. Hyper-powered characters, lack of development, forced romances, painfully slow pacing and so forth make me feel that it's not even worth the effort to confirm all these suspicions. Besides, the damage its down to the meta-community of anime is unforgivable.

Nope, can't be the Y chromosome, because I lack one as well, and LOVE Trigun, for example. Except for Weird Ed, I can tolerate Cowboy Bebop, and except for the crappy soundtrack music, I can endure - in fact would LOVE - Samurai Champloo (I am a sucker for that classical Japan stuff), ate Robotech and Macross up with a spoon. I don't get into Rumiko Takahasi because it's all Ranma, even when it's titled Lum or Inuyasha, IMO (sorry, folks, I know that probably torqed a few people), but I do get the joke that is the ultimate punchline of Ranma. I think I've mentioned a few really good Y-chromo animes - forgot Gundam and spinoffs only 'cuz never seen 'em... Ghost in the Shell is pretty neat, but I love that cyberpunk stuff anyway... I'm digressing.
My sister, OTOH, who is a college graduate working on her masters and she graduated WITH HONORS... says that DBZ really does have a plot, and it's not ALL guys grunting.
Just goes to show you that college doesn't mean everything. :wink:
Sanjuro
Senshi Cadet

Postby MC80a Liberty » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:52 pm

Sanjuro wrote:snip
My sister, OTOH, who is a college graduate working on her masters and she graduated WITH HONORS... says that DBZ really does have a plot, and it's not ALL guys grunting.
Just goes to show you that college doesn't mean everything. :wink:
Well of course it has a plot, it's merely that the creators were required to have a minimum of twenty minutes of grunting and constipation as well as ten minutes of characters bragging about their superior powerlevels for every two instances of plot and every hint of character development. :P
MC80a Liberty
Senshi Candidate

Postby Neko- » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:07 am

Never saw DB... Did see DBZ and parts of DBGT. Let's forget about GT all together.
DBZ in itself was did have a story to tell, but way too drawn out for my tastes. That drawing out bit is what galled me the most. Miss 5 eps, and you still haven't really missed anything.
All in all, I've seen it once, I find that I don't need to see it again. If it's on TV and nothing better is on, I'll still watch it tho. Out of sheer boredom :P
Neko-
Crisis Power Senshi

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:05 am

Heh, the actual anime was bad, true. But I think they kinda went 180 and made an actual plot based DBZ when they did the story sections of the Dragon Ball Z Budokai: Tenkaichi games. One of my friends has the games, and watching the cutscenes is actually quite good (follows the anime plot, but without the 10 epsiode long powerups and other filler stuff).
It's how DBZ should have been, really :?
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Atlan » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Heh, the actual anime was bad, true. But I think they kinda went 180 and made an actual plot based DBZ when they did the story sections of the Dragon Ball Z Budokai: Tenkaichi games. One of my friends has the games, and watching the cutscenes is actually quite good (follows the anime plot, but without the 10 epsiode long powerups and other filler stuff).

Mabey, but that was the one Boudokai game that sucked. I bought Boudokai 1, 2 and 3, and they rulled. Both as DBZ games, and as fighting games. But Boudokai: Tenkaichi was terible. One button for punch, kick, combo of the two? Aimed at retarded 7 year olds.

Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:38 am

Atlan wrote:Mabey, but that was the one Boudokai game that sucked. I bought Boudokai 1, 2 and 3, and they rulled. Both as DBZ games, and as fighting games. But Boudokai: Tenkaichi was terible. One button for punch, kick, combo of the two? Aimed at retarded 7 year olds.

Heh, sorry. I actually meant 1, 2 & 3, but when searching for how to spell it that Tenkaichi one was the first one I found, so I used that (y'know, the whole copy: paste thing).
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Anime / Manga