POLL: Dragonball Z - What's YOUR opinion?

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

What do you actually think of Dragonball Z?

Way too overhyped.
10%
Way too overhyped.
10%
Total Load of Rubbish.
12%
Total Load of Rubbish.
12%
Some of it's good, some of it's bad.
19%
Some of it's good, some of it's bad.
19%
Good series.
7%
Good series.
7%
Excellent overall.
No votes
Excellent overall.
No votes
Don't really care/not seen it.
2%
Don't really care/not seen it.
2%

Total votes : 136

POLL: Dragonball Z - What's YOUR opinion?

Postby Cyber_Skaarj » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:04 pm

Just curious as to what everyone thinks of one of the biggest mainstream animes.
Personally, I like the characters, and some storylines were enjoyable to watch (the Saiyan and Namek ones), but I felt it was pretty bad in terms of plot overall, and some of the lines that characters have are way OTT cheesy. Plus many of what would have been good points were dragged out far too much, sometimes so much so that they stopped being good at all.
I think if they'd stopped after the end of Namek, got rid of a load of the cheesy dialogue (though not from the Ginyu Force, those guys are just way to funny too not have it) and shortened the length of it all to cut out a lot of needless talking in it, it would've been a good series.
"Never send a Henchkitty to do an assassin's job..."
The Devils Creed

Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu, 11th March 2007
Cyber_Skaarj
Moon Senshi

Postby Screwball » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:11 pm

Some of it's good. The bits where something happens.
The bad is the way that very little happens in each episode, bar a very few. It could also perhaps be summed up as 'AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!'
After careful study of Number One's biographic work My Ceaseless Quest to Conquer Earth and Destroy its Puny Inhabitants, we have come to the conclusion that the Ghast Empire may well be up to something rum.
Screwball
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:21 pm

I liked it. Unfortunately it drags, and could be cut to a third of its length.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby TerraEpon » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:50 pm

I've seen maybe a total of 20 minutes...
But everything I've read about it thinks it'd bring out the yawn in me.
-Joshua
TerraEpon
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Anchoku » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:05 pm

I don't really find synergy with DBZ. It seems like every episode is the same; even if it's different. I often got frustrated with the lack of a good story and the drawn-out, over-hyped fights.
There were several times I wanted to yell at the TV shouting, "Just eat the damned bean and get it over with!"
And then there was the complaint, "Why do the good guys practice the same scorched-earth warfare as the bad boys? I'm pretty sure there's more than one Extinction Level Event in this children's cartoon."
Of course, I also get a laugh teasing anime characters on TV with, "Haaa haaaa! You look like Grape Ape!"
Anchoku
Senshi Cadet

Postby nuclear death frog » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:37 pm

Ah, one of my old faves, and still a series I like (if not as much as I used to). I have much to say.
It's bogged down by filler, and in America, a crappy dub -- crappy because it's censored for blood and violence (*needed* to get some episodes on air at all) and dialogue; and the voice actors are almost without exception terrible.
There are exactly two voices I think are better by FUNimation than were in the original series, and neither of them are main characters; for the record, they're Artificial Human #18 and Kaioshin's assistant Kibit. And of the voices which were worse in the FUNi dub (that is, the rest of the cast) many of them are so bad it literally causes pain to listen to it.
FUNi's music doesn't help -- theirs is atrocious while in the original series the music was sometimes very good and at its worst was only a mild pain.
The main problem, though, is the filler. There's a LOT of it -- the series is composed of 291 episodes, 13 movies (nearly all non-canon), and two TV specials (both very nearly canon) -- and for the 291 episodes, if the manga were just adapted straight with no filler, I honestly think it could have been covered in 120 episodes TOPS, with *ease*. The manga is the last 26 volumes of the 42-volume (524 or 525 chapters) manga known in Japan simply as Dragon Ball. The Z was added just to differentiate the series. But if you've read the manga (as I have) you'll note that it's a very tight-running story that proceeds extremely quickly and in order. It's not at all comparable to the 38-volume (407 chapter, IIRC) Ranma manga which is basically episodic.
Well, I could say more, but I've covered a bunch already.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby Zwzn » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:59 am

I put over hyped because it is shown on TV to much. There are much better anime out there, but it still has it's good points.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Rei-chan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:54 am

Heh, I think my opinion on this series is fairly well documented but allow me to state it again. I find this thing to be a complete load of rubbish. How can a 5 minute fight, which they tell us is all the time they have for it to happen in, take a month to show with an episode a day? I don't mind overpowered people, as a matter of fact I love seeing people with over the top powers, but this series takes too darn long to get anywhere. By the time the fight is done, you have ceased caring about what the fight was for. Also had a problem with how several years could pass in just one or two episodes between each big fight.
Princess of Charon
Appointed Spammer Rank C By Himitsu September 25, 2006.
I ain't got to explain it. I'm living magic, remember?
Rei-chan
Super Power Senshi

Postby Anchoku » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:15 pm

nuclear death frog wrote:It's bogged down by filler...

I've never seen the original. Just the version with extra packing penuts.
Anchoku
Senshi Cadet

Postby crystlshake » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:10 am

I agree, the amount of filler really drags down the show. Many of the better episodes are those that actually cover some ground in combat or the limited character interaction/development. I think the original with Goku as a kid and the later released GT handle some of this better. They also throw in the adventure aspects which was the highlight of the namek arc. Its one thing to make a cool enterance. Its anouther to take 15 minutes doing it. The other part that irked me about Z is that the level of inteligence or imagination of the opponents tended to be pathetic to non existent. Its depressing when the fighters with the most originality/skill are used as fodder. Its like a nucular arms race where they take turns shooting at eachother and powering up. Fighting with a code of honor is great and all but when the fate of a planet and everyone/everything on it is in the ballance it probably wouldnt hurt to work together against the superpowered bad guy.
Its like they took a page from Flash Gordon- "What is 'team up?'"
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby Frog » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:20 pm

I voted 'total load of rubbish'. Dragon Ball Z failed to hold my attention past the first 10 or so episodes when I was an impressionable teen. You'd have to pay me to watch it now.
Dragon Ball was vastly superior without the rampant lameness of Z. GT tried to recapture the awesomeness of the original but it failed and once again fell into the shounen trap same as Z did. It was all very lame. Very, very lame. There should never have been a sequel for DragonBall.
Stop raping my beloved shows with crappy sequels! I'm looking at YOU, Mai Otome!
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come
There are songs of hope too
I would happily sacrifice my life for this world.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Atlan » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:20 pm

Its kinda sad that dbz makes in on tv, at a nice, kiddy friendly viewing time, and virtually nothing else does. There is a whole lot of anime out there ten times better than dbz, (and 100 times better than GT) yet all we get is this one. I mean, would it kill them to put on Kiddy Grade, Yu Yu Hakishu, Wolf Rain, GUndam, or something other than DBZ or someting where everything revolves around a game (metabots, Duel Masters, YuGiOh, Beyblade, ect)
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

DB

Postby Misfortune’s Delight » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:15 pm

I think that it had it's moments. The beginning of the series the Saiyan and Namek arc was alot better then the cell and buu saga. GT just blew in my opinion.
“Well the outrages I have suffered today will not be soon forgotten, I will not be forgetting those outrages, No they won’t be forgotten, No not the outrages.........
Yeah, Yeah the outrages I think we got it.”- Stewie, and Brian from Family Guy
Misfortune’s Delight
Initiate

Postby Light02 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:34 am

I voted some good some bad, I found the series enjoyable seeing it in conjunction with the first 153 episodes (aka Dragon Ball), Frog it's one freaking series what part of that do you not understand, they added the Z to the anime to note the change in tone, dispite the filler (yes I know there filler I'm looking at the Garlic Jr. Arc).
Light, The New Avatar of Chaos
Light02
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Greybara » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:41 am

dragon ball was certainly a decent anime, untill it turned into 'this'
the newer dragon balls are crap and a half
Greybara
Senshi Candidate

Next

Return to Anime / Manga