POLL: Dragonball Z - What's YOUR opinion?

Talk about other General Anime and Manga Series here

What do you actually think of Dragonball Z?

Way too overhyped.
10%
Way too overhyped.
10%
Total Load of Rubbish.
12%
Total Load of Rubbish.
12%
Some of it's good, some of it's bad.
19%
Some of it's good, some of it's bad.
19%
Good series.
7%
Good series.
7%
Excellent overall.
No votes
Excellent overall.
No votes
Don't really care/not seen it.
2%
Don't really care/not seen it.
2%

Total votes : 136

Postby whatever » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:34 pm

IMHO, I must say that I love DBZ... Well yeah, some of y'all have already listed the flaws that it have but in overrall I feel it is a really good series with some great characteres (Vegetta, Piccolo, Son Goku...etc)

That said I should add that IMHO Dragon ball Z is much more enjoyable in the latin spanish dub(my native language)or in the original version, I Kinda didn't like the american dub.
whatever
Senshi Cadet

Postby Comartemis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:09 pm

I tend to cut DBZ a bit of slack some times and rip it a new one at others depending on my mood. At present, my opinion is thus:

While DBZ has more than it's share of flaws, most of those are problems with the anime more than the original storyline. From my understanding, Toriyama wanted to cut the series off at the end of the Namek Saga with Goku being the most powerful warrior in the universe, and if his producers had allowed him to do this, I think it would have been a much better series.

It's how DBZ should have been, really

Nah, Freeza should have come right at the end after a huge series-long build-up, Naraku-style, and Goku should've angsted at least a little about not being human.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby KonokoHasano » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 pm

While I don't mind DBZ -- hell, I've watched the entire dang series and have a few VHS tapes of episodes, -- I tend to prefer Dragonball the most.
Usagi-Hasano on Fanfiction.net
Senshi of Metis (Jupiter XVI)
Spamville character bio
KonokoHasano
Super Power Senshi

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Amongst other series, DBZ was one of the three shows that got me hooked on anime. There are some bits and pieces I don't really like, and a few that I think are downright ridiculous---the first time my older brother saw the Ginyu Force dancing around and preparing to fight, he said they were gay. On the whole, though, the series was rather fun to watch and record. I've seen most of the episodes, except for the second half of the Cell Games.

For those of you who don't like Funimation's initial attempts at dubbing the program (ooh, yeah...whole lots of people, eh-heh), you may want to look into this for a little bit.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby Siden » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:49 pm

I honestly and truely despise this series, never like it much at all as a kid and that opinion steadily worsened as I aged. Most of the problems can be laid at the feet of the anime directors, and Toriyama for not having enough spine to control his own story (I mean c'mon! The series was perfectly set up at the end of the Namek Saga to finish off the tale of Goku and either end the series or continue under a fresher cast supported by a few surviving old-timers [ala Zeta Gundam]). Dragonball for the most part was fun and enjoyable, and Z was bearable for the first saga and a half, but after that went down the crapper.

Taken as a whole, the series is utter crap: No character developement (worsened by having many cardboard characters to begin with), majority of character designs are non-imaginative (why do the unique, interesting individuals get almost no screen time?), most boring fights ever, repetitive character design, after the Namek Saga the plot completely stopped, beyond hyper-powered characters, horrid pacing and episode padding, constipation grunts, "power level pissing contests", over-hyped fights, horrid voice work (at least the Japanese and English voices make my ears hurt), and too much in-fight dialogue.

The only saving graces for this series were, in my opinion, the minor characters and the humor.
Then again I'm very picky about anime (and considering how much you pay per episode, you have the right to be picky), and my tastes lean more towards comedy (Haruhi, Lupin) and hard sci-fi (GitS, FMP).

CRBWildcat wrote:Amongst other series, DBZ was one of the three shows that got me hooked on anime.

I was already into anime before the release of DBZ, but it very nearly killed any interest I had in this style of series.

Atlan wrote:But Boudokai: Tenkaichi was terible. One button for punch, kick, combo of the two? Aimed at retarded 7 year olds.

Simple fighting games are good for casual gamers like me, but that set of games is too simple. Although, it is great for when you just want to blow something up.
:D

Atlan wrote:Its kinda sad that dbz makes in on tv, at a nice, kiddy friendly viewing time, and virtually nothing else does. There is a whole lot of anime out there ten times better than dbz, (and 100 times better than GT) yet all we get is this one. I mean, would it kill them to put on Kiddy Grade, Yu Yu Hakishu, Wolf Rain, Gundam, or something other than

Yeah, I agree. There are many good series to choos from that could be aired at that time of day and still meet the anal standards of the censors. Why they rely on craptacular series or the never-ending commercials (aka YuGiOh, Pokemon, etc), is beyong me.

DBZ or someting where everything revolves around a game (metabots, Duel Masters, YuGiOh, Beyblade, ect)

As someone in the teaching profession, I can tell you that kids are not stupid. At least, not before shows like that get to them. :lol: And as for things like violence and mature subject matter, what do you think these kids are watching AFTER the horribly edited anime? Why, things like: the news, the CSIs, sitcoms, reality tv, wrestling, and all kinds of other programs that are definately not aimed a children; and then surfing the net.
Employed by Lady Bliss.
True Neutral, "Pure Neutral", "Balancer"
Spamville Dossier
Siden
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Yrael » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:19 am

I love it and hate it. Love it cause it was a good show, and hate it because it could have been a great show, if they hadn't tried to squeeze it for every last penny.

IMO, they should have stopped DBZ at the end of the Frieza saga. No android/Cell BS, no even worse Buu. Basically go DB->DBZ Through the end of Frieza->DBGT.

Not only would this eliminate a large amount of the filler and excessive constipation-induced grunting, it would also give some more meaning to the final transformation they go through in GT.
Yrael
Senshi Cadet

Postby CRBWildcat » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:55 am

I was already into anime before the release of DBZ, but it very nearly killed any interest I had in this style of series.

Probably older than I am, then. What I could get a hold of was pretty much limited to what was shown on basic cable and the local stations, and even then I didn't have much of a viewing range. It wasn't until I started paying attention to stuff on the International Channel (as it was called at the time) at around 2002 that my horizons started to expand.
Senshi of Zeta Aquilae
Spammer Rank C --- from Himitsu, 10-25-07. "Holy @!#%!, she made Zelas cry."
SpamLady Supreme --- from Colonel Caprice, 8-16-2017
Song of the week. Updated Sundays/Mondays.
CRBWildcat
Super Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:51 pm

I have only seen one complete episode of DBZ. In it, a kid was belching out explosive ghosts in an attempt to kill a monster made out of bubblegum. I have to wonder: Was the scriptwriter drunk when he wrote that? If he was, then there's some excuse.

Although the director of Madlax freely admitted to being drunk when he came up with most of the plot twists for that anime, and it turned out pretty good. So even being drunk isn't a perfect excuse.

Even with dumb plots like that, the real problem with DBZ is summarized by the old joke.

Q: How many DBZ characters does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Only one, but it will take him ten episodes to do it.

Unless changing the light bulb is a major plot point, in which case it will take then entire cast, 26 episodes, Goku getting killed and resurrected (again), and two wishes from the Dragon Balls.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Re: POLL: Dragonball Z - What's YOUR opinion?

Postby 3geekeD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:45 am

I have very fond memories of this show. First starting with the oceans dub when I was 12 and even now I will sometimes watch an episode the fun of it. A series that did not take itself too serious in the beginning became an epic story between obvious good and evil battles.
I somewhat agree with the fact that the creator should end it when he wanted to. But I think The charm came from its halfway goofy premise super human fighters who can destroy worlds just with one energy blast. That's one reason I actually liked the show for its overt top nests.
But I do like the first series better than all of them!
3geekeD
Initiate

Re: POLL: Dragonball Z - What's YOUR opinion?

Postby FriendlyEL » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Original Dragonball, I like, and in fact find quite amusing and had a pretty neat storyline. I just kind of wish Emperor Pilaf was at least somewhat of a threat (given that he was among my favorite charachters) and Goku had more difficulty fighting off the entire Red Ribbon Army by himself.

Dragonball Z: I found there was too much random discussion that dragged on for too long, even by Shonen standards the fights were over the top, and after Frieza the villains seemed to have no true plot behind them. That being said, it still provided entertainment.
FriendlyEL
Asteroid Senshi

Previous

Return to Anime / Manga