Screen Calibration images. (Multiple Attachments ?Large?)

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Screen Calibration images. (Multiple Attachments ?Large?)

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I haven't finished all the images but I do have 15 done and can help with setting the bright dark and see if you have the contrast down too low. There's a second Color Scales image in progress that goes from the highest saturation end to white. After I finish that I have to do Gama Blocks again to help with being sure the middle tones are accurate.

5 Attachment per post limit. So I will make 3 posts which should make all the images I currently have done available.
Dark_Color_Scales.PNG
Dark_Color_Scales.PNG (24.78 KiB) Viewed 13392 times

Dark_001.PNG
Dark_001.PNG (23.63 KiB) Viewed 13397 times

Dark_010.PNG
Dark_010.PNG (23.63 KiB) Viewed 13393 times

Dark_011.PNG
Dark_011.PNG (22.82 KiB) Viewed 13393 times

Dark_100.PNG
Dark_100.PNG (23.63 KiB) Viewed 13391 times
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Screen Calibration images. (Multiple Attachments ?Large?)

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:17 pm

Dark_101.PNG
Dark_101.PNG (18.87 KiB) Viewed 13384 times

Dark_110.PNG
Dark_110.PNG (22.82 KiB) Viewed 13382 times

Dark_111.PNG
Dark_111.PNG (28.4 KiB) Viewed 13385 times

Light_001.PNG
Light_001.PNG (23.91 KiB) Viewed 13380 times

Light_010.PNG
Light_010.PNG (23.91 KiB) Viewed 13379 times
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Light_011.PNG
Light_011.PNG (24.11 KiB) Viewed 13373 times

Light_100.PNG
Light_100.PNG (23.45 KiB) Viewed 13372 times

Light_101.PNG
Light_101.PNG (18.84 KiB) Viewed 13372 times

Light_110.PNG
Light_110.PNG (24.12 KiB) Viewed 13371 times

Light_111.PNG
Light_111.PNG (27.87 KiB) Viewed 13369 times

My suggestion if you have a computer screen where you can't see all the blocks at both the bright side and dark side at the same time, Find the Happy Medium. Try to find the mid point where you are missing seeing the same amount of boxes in brights and darks then hopefully you will at least see most of everything as well as can be managed.

Also remember to reset to defaults first including in your software so hopefully you aren't making things try to compensate for something already being compensated for.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Grah, proof that my desktop monitor sucks. Dark_101, 110, and 111 look like a huge block of black and I had to use a color picker in order to see that they are indeed separate colors. I can see them fine on the laptop.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:26 am

Or proof that there's something seriously out of whack. If you can't see any blocks in 111 on the dark end then you are missing more than 1.5% of the lower end of the spectrum. Because the brightest block on 111 dark is R64 G64 B64 or forum color #404040
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:51 pm

I predict lots of fun balancing the dark against the bright on that effin tube display I'm using.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Remember to set everything to the default first "Including the Software" Then adjust the Contrast. Hopefully the Contrast alone will end up letting you see most of all the images before having to go to the Bright. I also believe in setting the levels and then fine tuning the black end on bright days and fine tuning the white end at night.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:20 am

Too many LCD monitors are made with contrast pre-set to ungodly high values, so that image looks more "vibrant" for the unaware and sell better. This cuts off both the dark adn the bright ends of the brightness range... But it really makes all colors more saturated than what the monitor is really capable of.

I had to tune all LCD monitors I bought using test images. The default presets are always wrong, the shadows are black and the highlights are bleached.

It's much worse with a CRT monitor where due to tube aging the image gradually becomes darker. Eventually this leads to darker tones being cut off even when you set brightness to 100. I had to cure this by readjusting certain voltage on one of the electrodes of the electron gun, but that requires a good knowledge -- not to mention the necessity to work on an exposed monitor where voltages of 700 and 25000 volts are just a wrong move away from your fingers. And after curing the black level you have to adjust beam focusing because changing voltage disturbs the balance of the gun. A lot of fun, that since there usually are two controls, for focusing horizontally and vertically, and both affect different part of the screen in different ways. You get a perfect focus in the upper left corner, the center blurs. And so on (Never do this without a special test pattern on the screen and a mirror so that you don't have to bend around the exposed high-voltage parts while you are picking in the monitor's ass). And after you found the acceptable focusing trade-off you can find that in doing so you disturbed the black level (as everything is interconnected) and have to start again :D

Im sooo glad the CRTs are history :roll:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:39 am

History for some people. Its still the only kind of screen I have and I have it for everything.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Té Rowan » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 am

I too still watch a tube. The computer has an ATI Rage and the settings applet sets individual RGB colour curves in two dimensions so I can screw up at least three settings with one mouse slip.
I go walking. My mind goes wandering.
Té Rowan
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fan Art