'Art' in progress: Ryoga Duct Taped

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

'Art' in progress: Ryoga Duct Taped

Postby Kadunta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:44 pm

I decided to try drawing some art for my own fanfics. This marks the third time in total (the two earlier times have been for RanmaTronic).

The first one in the line is The Art of Duct Taping.

The image is still being edited, but the first pencil sketch version is visible below.

The relevant part in the fic:
The finishing attack was composed of three parts. First, Ranma threw a "Duct Tape Ribbon Rush" at Ryoga, taping his back into a street lamp. This didn't hold Ryoga down, as he simply ripped the street lamp off the ground, still taped to his back. Second step had been the Saotome School Secret Attack Revised: run away and lure your opponent after you - under a low bridge.

I really have to edit Ryoga or at least his hands... (yes, that was supposed to be him at the back - I've never drawn him as a human before).

Updates will be posted in this thread... when I get around to making them.
"Nothing desiccates a mind so much as its repugnance to conceive obscure ideas."
-- E.M.Cioran, "All Gall Is Divided", translation by Richard Howard
Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: 'Art' in progress: Ryoga Duct Taped

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Just make sure the finger tips are clearly added and aiming towards camera. Its not that bad a look on him for the first time drawing him Human. Might also want to add some elbows and allow a bit more gravity effect on the sleeves.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:18 pm

Ranma should have a mullet and a leather coat. Don't remember if either of those changed in the fic you're basing this off of but they should've been damn it. Otherwise looks pretty nice.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 am

I loved that story. The next picture should be of Kodachi revolutionizing Rhythmic Gymnastics.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Kadunta » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:44 pm

This is where I'll leave it for the day.

Ryoga seems to have eaten some magic mushrooms. :(

@frice2000: I think Ranma might be well off with this guy over here as well. He's already familiar with some 'anime' stuff.

@Ellen Kuhfeld: I think I learned enough from my previous nude picture: I'd better not do them. And this is before considering that the person in question happens to be one Tatewaki Kuno, whose clothes get torn off as Kodachi rips the duct tape away.
"Nothing desiccates a mind so much as its repugnance to conceive obscure ideas."
Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:38 pm

[quote="Kadunta"@Ellen Kuhfeld: I think I learned enough from my previous nude picture: I'd better not do them. And this is before considering that the person in question happens to be one Tatewaki Kuno, whose clothes get torn off as Kodachi rips the duct tape away.[/quote]
Ewwwww. That's even worse than Zentraedi panties.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:45 am

Kadunta wrote:
Ryoga seems to have eaten some magic mushrooms. :(

If you make his hands bigger it should help with the perspective as they are closer to the viewer. be sure to have his sleeves increase in size too - like a cone shape with the narrow end attached to his shoulder.

Also perhaps have a few small stones from the overpass falling to show that he has indeed run in to it.

If you can draw it in, give Ryoga his trademark fang.
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Kadunta » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:51 pm

J. St.C. Patrick's comments duly noted.

I enlarged his right hand, shrunk his head and added some concrete fragments launching off. Added a small fang as well.

A friend said the image is quite devoid of details... so I'll have to add those at some point. But I think I'll prefer sleeping this evening to working on the drawing.

Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Kadunta » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:02 pm

I made a small experiment. I did a quick Ranma-chan version of the pic as well and uploaded both versions on deviantArt, denoting the Ranma-chan version so in the title. I also put up links to both on my Fanfiction.net profile. Ranma-kun version went up almost a day earlier than Ranma-chan version.

In the end, Ranma-chan version got 29 pageviews and Ranma-kun 19 pageviews over the weekend. Yeah, maybe I'm a bit hasty on ending the experiment...

Still. here are the links: Ranma-kun (unchanged from above) and Ranma-chan.
Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:08 pm

I like the Chan image better.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Kadunta » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:01 pm

And that's what makes it interesting... there's just half of Ranma's face and the pigtail in the picture to show Ranma is currently female -- and her jawline isn't even that well-drawn.
Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Shanami » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:08 pm

Honestly, I think it is the color placement. Red is more eye catching than black, and given the central location, makes it feel more vibrant in the chan picture.

Could just be me though.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Kadunta » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:35 pm

That would explain the number of favourites. However, I don't know how many of the hits came via my fanfiction.net profile page and that has no thumbnails of the images. The only places with link that I know of are here, my profile page on FF.net and (in practice) my deviantArt front page. I'm not sure how many reached the pics via dA search features, though.
Kadunta
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:49 pm

I think it's a bit more than the Red hair. There is a slightly more and playful look to the Ranma-chan pic
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Return to Fan Art