Random fanart v4

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Random fanart v4

Postby fatman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Being sick certainly put a dent on my productivity.

These two are sooo cute together. Haven't really played the games, but the manga is hilarious.

Shio, a request for kami-con (kamicon.net). Tried using new coloring methods.
fatman
Initiate

Re: Random fanart v4

Postby Sunshine Temple » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Oooh the first one's very cute.

Though the focus and the lines under the eyes of the taller girl give her a slightly "manic" look. If intentional very nice.

Shio's face seems a bit wide though that may be style. As for the coloring, it's very vivid and bright. Sort of a mix of pastel and neon. Really nice.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:36 am

Welcome back, Mondu!

Glad to see you are back and drawing again.

Both images look good, the Inabas are cute and Shio is sweet.

What is different about the coloring method?

Is Shio an original or based on a character?
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby fatman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:14 am

@sunshine: it was unintentional, but since Reisen's (large girl) eyes are supposed to cause madness, looking manic also works. :D

@J. St.C. Patrick: Rather than using a simple two tone approach, I used a total of 8 tones per color. I wanted to get 2 effects: gentler transition between the highlight and shadows as opposed to cel-shading like the first pic, and a pseudo brush-stroke look (still don't have a tablet, and making brush strokes with a mouse makes my wrist hurt after a few minutes).

Basically, something that looks like this:

without having to get an actual paint emulation program like Painter, getting a tablet, or giving myself carpal tunnel syndrome.

What I used to try was to smudge the colors together. That didn't work well because the smudging made the colors run together. So what I did was do the entire picture in black and white, smudge that, and then block off parts of the body and then apply a curves function to each block.

I think parts like the legs look like what I was aiming for, but the rest not so much. Sharp corners in clothing are especially difficult to do properly, and in that pic it looks like I just gave up on the skirt.

As far as I can tell, Shio is an original character by the organizers of kamicon.
fatman
Initiate

Postby Cheb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:28 am

Buy a Wacom Bamboo already! It's painful to just read what you go through to paint :cry:
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby Kilich » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Oh, Reisen and Tewi. Looks nice.

Sunshine wrote:Though the focus and the lines under the eyes of the taller girl give her a slightly "manic" look. If intentional very nice.

Her name is Reisen and she can induce hallucinations and madness in others just by looking at them.
Kilich
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 am

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/ ... roma-f.jpg

For this month's contest, the Future of MTG.

Akroma reference

No WIP pics for this one. Stupid internet connection and USB ports on my main PC are on the blink.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:17 pm

I think you might have chosen too small a font for the labeling of the boxes down the left side. I know it's a trade off and all but the font doesn't have much space in it and on any resize bits could get lost enough to leave it illegible.

I like the character but I've seen Gundams with wings that were given a Feathered appearance. If they'd do that for a Giant Robot why wouldn't they also do that for futuristic versions of mythical warriors?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:54 am

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/ ... oma-hf.jpg

SOmething like that? karger icons, classical angel wings
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:37 pm

It wasn't the over all icon size I had trouble with just the letter spacing. Now the font is large enough to take a re-size and easier to read. As to the wings they are a bit more natural looking than I was thinking but it has a much better effect to me than the jet wings had. Definite improvements in all the areas I had any trouble with.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:54 am

Very neat. I like how the joints are modeled and set.

Almost pulp-scifi in how she looks.

Real cool. Not much to say on coloring or shading given how it's all white. Looks fine, almost a minimalist style.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Last edited by mondu_the_fat on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:51 pm

The head tail going across her back is a bit too stiff. Its almost rigid as if it were holding it's self up instead of draping there.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 am

Suzuki, a request.

@spok: Yeah, I think you're right.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:57 am

Sloth. Just a quickie.

mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Fan Art