Random fanart v4

Request, Submission, or Review of Fanart. Again "fukufic" content preferred but not necessary

Re: Random fanart v4

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:21 pm

I was trying to give it a bit of a glow, kinda like this:

http://members.fortunecity.com/serenity ... /jed11.jpg
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Ah... Um I think the part making it lose the effect is that there's a clear demarcation between his eye and the lower eye lid and cheek that the light is playing on.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby iiradned » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:35 pm

mondu_the_fat wrote:I was trying to give it a bit of a glow, kinda like this:

http://members.fortunecity.com/serenity ... /jed11.jpg

All I got was a Fortunecity hotlink denial message.
iiradned
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Its not that great a picture.
jed11.JPG
jed11.JPG (10.18 KiB) Viewed 13428 times
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Cheb » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Shading sucks something horrible here.
The halftones were somewhat bad on the previous "DK Ami" image, but this one is just horrible.
I don't think a realistic illumination model could work with this. Fake anime shading would look much better. You need at least the sleeve illuminated, so the scene light source must be somewhere closer to the camera, not where the ball of light is.
Or the pose should be different.
Or something.
Let's just say that the current combination of pose, and illumination doesn't work.
Proud owner of 1.5 kilograms of Germanium transistors
Cheb
Moon Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:34 am

Bleh, and here I was hoping that I was making progress with soft shading.

Halftones? Or did you mean midtones? (halftones are specific newsprint, like manga). I thought that the dark tones are the ones that are off. I'll keep that in mind. But for now, though, it would take to much work to salvage the picture, not to mention I already deleted most of the work files.

Here's a fairy. No wings yet, since dragon fly wings are a total headache. Since the soft shading isn't working out, I might just go with cell shading this one.

Image Image
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:59 am

I know fairies are often delicately boned but her thighs seem far too thin, barely thinner than her lower legs.

Her upper arms also seem a bit too thin.

Body position is okay save for her left lower leg. The angle that's at looks strange and has some odd perspective effects.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby mondu_the_fat » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:43 pm

I'd like to keep the arms and legs that thin, but I do agree that it looks imblanaced. Would making the torso thinner work?
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:45 pm

You have her torso and arms angled as if she's leaning back. But you have her hips and pelvis positioned as if she's leaning forward. Nothing above the waist agrees with below.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:49 pm

I think a thinner torso would have her look too gaunt and gangly.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Postby frice2000 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Your art is usually pretty good but I can't help but wishing you'd add some more imperfections and different balance to your art. It just always seems a little too perfect, even, and computery and that makes the soul of them kind of lacking. Other then that they look nice but they come off as too unearthly for me to really like them.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Managed to undelete one of the lineart files. Cell shaded. Simplified ball of light because each an every flame tutorial I've seen relies on a black background to work, and I wanted a white background. Eyes larger and slightly sharper, jaw and nose sharper.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Vocaloid » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:48 pm

you might try deepening his frown a bit more and darkening both the lines around his mouth and the power burst in his hand
Know Music, Know Life
No Music, No Life
Vocaloid
Asteroid Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:45 am

No internet for nearly 2 weeks! fuuuuuuudge.

Tilia casting reflect, based on the DKA chapter "Fairy Attack".

Thicker arms and legs as the previous one. Hair changed (their hair is short) as well as boots removed (mentioned in one chapter that their toes can be seen). Wanted to have a reference for ice for ice golem Ami, but no internet meant no references, so I just winged it.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sunshine Temple » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:03 am

Both still looks a bit too thin, but the posing and the composition of the two frames is good.

It's very dynamic and very good at showing the narrative between the two images.

Also very good job at showing the action and the fast pace.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Previous

Return to Fan Art