Want Ads: Guardian of Time needed, apply to Setsuna Meioh

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Postby Pale Wolf » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:27 pm

Other way around.
It's him that comes up with the trick to beat his nasty opponents. He's an inventive loony, not a DBZ character.
Ryouga, on the other hand? Ranma generally doesn't even need his inventiveness against the hang-around-Nerima opponents.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby antimatterenergy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:38 pm

Nekomata-sensei -
Ranma can definately throw moko takabisha's as a female she does so in volume 25 http://ranmahentai.ranma.ws/RanmaManga/ ... 25-127.gif
is also able to do so when turned into a child by the magic mushrooms. (didn't throw one but Ryoga throw lots of shi shi hadokens and he and Ryoga built up thier aura's and destroyed Akanes room burning the mushrooms she was going to give him.)
I also see no reason as to why Ranma couldn't beat Ryoga as a female since even as a female Ranma is strong enough to hurt Ryoga as seen in a few story arcs (pretending to be his sister and when under the influence of the koi rod come to mind) (we also see that Akane is not strong enough to hurt Ryoga in the water proof soap story line).
amout of scar tissue is exceptionally high

Ranma is unlikely to have a lot of scar tissue because he heals to fast and scars rarely develop if the wound heals up quickly (we are shown in a few story arcs that cuts and bruises only last a little while - ryu kumon arc when he peirced Ranma the wound had healed up by the end of the day and during Ranma's date with kodachi when he was trampled by cows and bruised up his face it healed up so fast that both Asuka and Kodachi were surprised that he was healed).
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

My Blog: http://ranmarelated.blogspot.com/
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Atlan » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:08 am

I like that idea. But i think that you fix Ranma too much.
Dont forget that Ranma is an idiot. No offence to him, but he is. I realy cant say that he'd suddenly stop using the Moko Takabishia or the Soul of ice just because they'd damage him- he did when learning the Shi SHi Hokodan, not caring about the warning Cologne gave. He only changed it because the Moko Takabishia was more powerfull.
I agree with Wargiver that he realy needs to keep at least SOME of his fear of cats. It's like Superman's kryptonite- without it, he just isnt ballenced.
And while I can see the point in calling Ranma Ranko, my advice is thus: Have Genma, Nokoda, Soun, and mabey Kusami call him Ranko. But have all his friends call him Ranma- and make sure that YOU, as the narrator, call him Ranma. That way, you keep the honour idea happy, while not loosing who Ranma is. Besides, if one of my friends names was changed by thier pearants, I wouldnt start calling them the new name. Id still call them the old one- and so would most people.
Still, i love your idea. Cant wait to read it.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:35 am

Atlan - Ranma is not an idiot he has shown on more than one occasion that he is at least average intelligence and he even has shown quick thinking and inventiveness that is above average.
everyone else -
The problem is that he is a live in the moment type person who doesn't think thinks all the way through which is why I don't like the idea of him becoming Sailor Pluto. As things stand at the end of the manga Ranma doesn't have the patience nor does he think of the consequences of his actions which are very important traits that he would need to protect time.
Question why would the soul of ice or using emotion to focus ki hurt him?
One is just a technique that lets you stay calm instead of letting your emotions rule you (we have seen Ranma express emotion while using the soul of ice - Saffron Battle). The other technique does not make you more depressed or more confident becuase the emotions leave you as you use the technique as seen by Ryoga after casting a perfect shishihadoken. It doesn't make you more depressed or more confident than you already are the danger was and is of the shishihadoken is that the easiest way to make it more powerful is to make yourself more depressed. It can be safely used in any number of ways by just using whatever emotion you happen to be feeling at the time. If angry use anger, if sad use shishihadoken, if confident use mokotakabisha, if horny use lust to power it, etc... (always wondered how poweful a ki blast would be if Ranma was in a room full of cats and using fear as his focus. That's one way Ranma can use to keep from entering the nekoken use fear release it with the ki and start over)
"Did you really think sealing me in concrete and burying me in the yard was even going to slow me down?!" Ranma v8p92

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby crystlshake » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:57 am

(always wondered how poweful a ki blast would be if Ranma was in a room full of cats and using fear as his focus. That's one way Ranma can use to keep from entering the nekoken use fear release it with the ki and start over)

That could explain the ki claws of the neko-ken.
Id have to agree that the plan ahead strategy likely required for the gates isnt Ranma's forte'. Of course you could get around that by having him 'intern' in some kind of apprenticeship style of learning. It would be silly to hand over such an important job to someone who isnt trained for it. Just the same seeing him muddle thrue the messes that crop up could be fun.
For curing the nekoken thrue the crystal id say too easy. If a cure is needed id swing for either a soft nerf of the fear (thrue training or otherwise) and locking the nekoken from use (though a disabling level of fear), or have the wish rock mess it up some how. One possibility is reversing the fear so now he super gushes over any cat like thing (Wai! Wai!) or changing what he is afraid of to something else. The point being if they attempt a quick fix have Ranma's luck resolve the situation into a similar or worse one- and probably funny. Im of the opinion that any quick power up should have side effects equal to or worse than the gain. Especialy for full control of such a powerful technique Id mandate lots of training with lots of setbacks and contributing factors before unlocking it. Could make for a great secondary plot to help overcome the next unstopable enemy.
'Moon healing escalation!'
Ranma turned her attention inwards to try and determine if their healing attempt had been successful. She was about to, shudder, agree to letting one of the fur balls into the room to get a better feel on the strange sensation she got when thinking about cats when she noticed the other girls staring at her. "What? Do I have something on my face?" This sent most of the girls into gales of laughter. The blond princess however was wailing on about forgiveness. Getting fed up with the behavior, an angry growl was enough to bring them into a more somber mood. The fact that almost none of them would look her in the eye was making her decidedly nervous. Though probably not nearly as much as the one she was recieving from Hotaru. Usagi groveling at her feet made her stomach turn. It was with no small amount of trepidation that she turned to the mirror behind her. As she stared dumbly at the changes wrought to her person she clinicly noted that things were falling into place, and that the 'healing' was somewhat successful. Ranma was no longer afraid of anything feline. Ranma couldnt be afraid of himself. She idley wondered if a full recovery would have happened without Junsenkyo's possible influence. At least as a cat girl she wouldnt be disadvantaged like Shampoo. Now angular ears angling down in anger her yowl of indignation at Usagi was cut off by a gleefull young violet haired missile knocking her to the ground. 'Wai!'
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby Zwzn » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:58 am

Alathon wrote: The idea that Soun wanted Ranma to marry him is fanon, and was perpetuated by a bad translation. A correct translation of his statement was that he, in the sense of the Tendo family, would find her a proper husband. Which is a stupid but fairly benign statement.
I think this idea comes from the facts that:
    1) Ranma is supposed to marry a Tendo
    2) Soun is the only male Tendo we ever see.
    3) Soun is the only male Tendo we know of the knows the Tendo school of anything goes.
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby Draconis Stelanaris » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:35 am

On the "Has to Marry a Tendo" thing, Everything that I have seen and read so far (Manga up to Herb and the 2 with the Orochi, dont have that one yet) says that it was for Genma and Soun's KIDS, not them that would marry If possible.
"And who said I was human, pray tell?" -Me
Come the Storm, Come the Flame, be thou Frozen those that opose!
Draconis Stelanaris
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:11 am

Okay, now we're really brainstorming!
Part of the problem with the Ginsuzishou is it's absolute power stuff. It seems to be able to do just about anything correctly too. It makes curing the neko-ken easily sound feasible. If it can't cure the neko-ken, you need a reason why, a good one would be that the neko-ken is something more than just a psychological disorder, some sort of powerful spiritual aliment instead, putting it more in Rei's forte to deal with. Of course this could also explain accidental side effects, such as trying to heal Ranma with the Ginsuzishou and it iterpreting Ranma as part cat and trying to fix Ranma's phsysical form to match the spiritual.
As for Ranma not being suited for the duties of Pluto, I was actually thinking Ranma is best for the exact reasons you're thinking he's a bad choice. If Ranma isn't the sort to plan ahead, he's less tempted to abouse the gates for some sort of crazy plot, like many evil Pluto stories have Pluto do. Ranma would just be going around stopping people from using time traveling.
Other than that, it could be taken a different way, in that adapting to the duties of Pluto forces Ranma to develop critical thinking and planning skills and start using her brain to plan ahead, especially if Ranma first goes through an apprentice period being taught by Setsuna.
As for why using emotions as a focus for your ki hurting you. Cologne seems to imply it in the shishi houkoudan arc. If I remember correctly (I did just re-read the arc about a week ago) using emotions to channel your ki causes those emotions to become stronger in you until it is the only emotion you can feel strongly and you feel it very greatly all the time. That is why the shishihoukoudan is particularly dangerous because it will likely cause the user to become suicidally depressed. The moukou takabisha would thus theoretically cause a person to eventually become overconfident and overly prideful with delusions of grandeaur.
Of course, the theory someone posted here that the neko-ken claws are manifested using fear chi is interesting, but I doubt that is the case because neko-Ranma doesn't seem to be constantly scared, but acting normally for a large, superpowered cat.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby EdenB » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:32 am

The problem with the Ginsuzishou in fanfiction is that people act like Sailor Moon can control it easily and perform miracles at will with ease. Unless you include Sailor Moon's healing attacks as Ginsuzishou powered, she only seems to use it when it's really needed at final battle times. I'd assume it's extremely powerful, but can't do everything. Examples being it required Queen Serenity's death for the rebirth of Senshi and Usagi knew the Freeze was coming but didn't use it to stop it. To me at least, it seems that she's got a crystal of near infinite power but she doesn't know how to use it, so she'd be working blind in curing him (which does lend itself to crystlshake's 'Ranma catgirl/Usagi's fault/Hotaru glomps' situation.
The nekoken is at least partially a psychological problem, though the use of ki-claws isn't explained. A fear of cats until they go berserk would be a psychological part proberly, while the ki-claws and acting like a cat could either be explained as psychological (unconciously using his ki to defend himself when needed) or spiritual (spirit of a cat within him). Either way, 'curing' him would seem to mean losing the nekoken usually. Since it'd be removing the spirit and/or fear of cats which induce the beserker state and claws. If he is cured, he should at least have to relearn how to focus ki into claws properly again and he'd be missing the beserker part, which is what makes it so dangerous.
EdenB
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby antimatterenergy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:15 pm

Cologne seems to imply it in the shishi houkoudan arc. If I remember correctly (I did just re-read the arc about a week ago) using emotions to channel your ki causes those emotions to become stronger in you until it is the only emotion you can feel strongly and you feel it very greatly all the time.

I didn't see it as Cologne implying that, The way I saw it was Cologne know's the folly of the shishihadoken is that both Ranma and Ryoga will do stuff to make themselves depressed so as to focus more power with the emotion. Since they will be trying to get more depressed (Ranma starving himself and doing other things to become depressed, Ryoga having Akane tell him that he hates him, etc...) they will both lose even if they win. The technique itself doesn't make your emotion stronger, the things they would do to become more depressed is the problem.

antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby weaponx9 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:56 pm

for the healing with the crystal you could go with the idea that the crystal is order based magic and ranmas jusenkyo curse is chaos based. if so when the order was used on ranma the two could react in odd ways. i.e. the catgirl idea.
i would agree that the shishihadoken and moko takbishan shouldn't be used and ranma learning the pure ki technique but recreating it. the soul of ice however uses no emotion should still be useable.
also what about genma's forbidden techniques didn't ranma learni them and are they still useable.
other than that soun and genma could try to get akane cursed if jusenkyo is no longer flooded so that they could still join the schools.
about ranma becoming sailor pluto, you could go with the idea that he only has the basic attacks available to began with and as the story continues he gains more of them.
also if you don't want to get rid of ranma's male form you could have the god of death alter it so its like his female form and then make it so that when he plays pluto he's female and when he plays the 'reaper' he's male. of course thats just an idea.
thats all i can think of right now
~Weaponx9
weaponx9
Senshi Candidate

Postby Tovath » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:27 pm

I like the of Ranma's male form being Hades avatar and his female form being Sailor Pluto. After all I think that a male deaty would be more comftable with a male avatar because of the differentce in magic flows between males and females.
Tovath
Prism Power Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:56 pm

The best way that I ever heard the silver crystal (still can't spell the name) described is as a high level wishing device, one that uses a person's life force to use. I.E. the stronger the user, the more powerful the wish.
For example Sailor Moon used it after the end of the fight against Berryl (while she was fused with the dark goddess). according to most sources (Please quote the Manga if this is wrong, and post a link if possible) she wished along the lines of, 'all my friends were still alive and we could live a normal life. And none of this happened.'
the problem with that wish was three fold, first her definition of a normal like at this point included being Sailor Moon, second to have none of 'this' meaning the entire first arc, to have happened required a time reset, third to bring all her friends back, how this is done would be unknown, if at all. With the time reset they would be alive anyway, and since Berryl was killed outside the normal universe (i.e. in the dark kingdom (they entered through the north pole)) she wasn't resurected.
The Crystal doesn't operate as intended, its like anyother wishing device, you take the wording of the wish, apply the users desires, and the perspective of thoes affected.
Baring this in mind if she were ever to 'make' Ranma become a normal girl, she might make Ranma a Sailor Senshi by that method, just because of her perception. If She tried to make Ranma into sailor Pluto, and was just slightly careless, she might change Ranma into Setsuna.
So to put it bluntly I agree with EdenB. User error is a probibility.
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Lord Aries Greymon » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:00 am

weaponx9 wrote:for the healing with the crystal you could go with the idea that the crystal is order based magic and ranmas jusenkyo curse is chaos based. if so when the order was used on ranma the two could react in odd ways. i.e. the catgirl idea.
i would agree that the shishihadoken and moko takbishan shouldn't be used and ranma learning the pure ki technique but recreating it. the soul of ice however uses no emotion should still be useable.

Wow, never seen those spellings before.
And the thing about order and chaos? That could turn out usefull. Not certain HOW, but usefull.
[[onto the crystal]]
Meh. I'm of the opinion that the "stupid rock" Ginzuisho is something like a poorly coded backdoor into the Matrix. Or Yggdrasil/Yggdradl. Whichever one sits easier with you.
(remember, my opinion) it was never intended to grant a person's desires, and thus when doing so, requires more power than it is able to draw from whatever it's built to tap. Which results in everything in the immediate area keeling over dead, as the Rock uses thier energy to make things happen. {that could [somewhat] explain WHY it's only used as a last-ditch "Weapon of Magical Doom".}
(still my opinion) Onto poor coding. It's semi-sentient, in that it can act on and (to some extent) interperet a person's (usagi's) desires. That in and of itself is the poor coding.
[[[[crap, i lost the rest of my thought. I may be able to finish this later]]]]
Naval Warrior Lord/Lady of Io.
Schizotechnician.
Thermonuclear Firebug.
Character Dossier
Lord Aries Greymon
Prism Power Senshi

Previous

Return to Ideas