A friend in need... (Ranma/Kodachi story)

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

A friend in need... (Ranma/Kodachi story)

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:24 pm

You probably won't believe it but for once I got an idea that doesn't involve a dubious crossover of any kind.

I'm probably not the only one who's noticed the lack of Ranma/Kodachi fics. Well, I think I've come up with an idea that might work (and I hope it hasn't been done before)

The story starts after the nekoken. Unlike in canon Ranma doesn't snap out of it of his own.

When some people witness him shred some trees to pieces they call the police who put Ranma into a mental institution. After one or two days the psychiatrists manage to get him out of the state and when they learn the reason for Ranma's mental state they start a therapy.

In the asylum Ranma meets a girl who has arrived a few days earlier after witnessing her mother's brutal death. (I'd be glad if anyone could come up with a mental illness for Kodachi since I don't know much about psychiatry; preferably one that won't be easy to cure).

They get to know each other and with Ranma's usual cheery disposition Kodachi slowly comes out of her shell.

Unfortunately Genma thinks that the whole therapy is a waste of time, but the director of the institution doesn't want to let Ranma go until he's completely healed. During the night Genma sneaks into the asylum and steal Ranma away, not even giving him the chance to say goodbye to his new friend.

The following day Kodachi notices that Ranma has left and vows to get revemge for him abandoning her after he had promises her that he'd stay by her side until she was healed. Another consequence of Ranma's 'betrayal' is that all the progress Kodachi had sone is gone once again and her condition might even have worsened.

The story continues as usual until Ranma meets Kodachi again. Kodachi falls in love with Ranma on the roof of the Tendo house but once she learns who he is the love turns into hatred and she tries to kill him.

After Ranma learns the reason for the hatred and remembers what has happened in the asylum he tries to explain but Kodachi won't listen.

He's really feeling guilty since he knows that he's the cause for Kodachi's psychosis and so comes up with a plan.

Since Kodachi hates his male form he decides to befriend her in his female form and try to get close to her in order to help her.

It works, but after a while he's feeling guilty for lying to Kodachi but has no idea how to tell her about the curse.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Re: A friend in need... (Ranma/Kodachi story)

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:54 pm

So really this is an original story with borrowing character names and only one important event from Ranma 1/2

Given the institution and how much of the training trip is missed how can you justify if any of cannon Ranma shows up in your first encounter with Ranma for this story?

BTW Ranma never Came out of the Cat Fist the first time completely on his own. The Little old woman taking him in was clearly stated in every version. And her Ability to get him out of it was why Genma tried dressing up as her in the first place.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Well, no. The training journey continues as normal after Genma steals Ranma back. I know about the old lady. I'll have to rephrase that. In this story he won't meet her.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:56 pm

It was likely a chance encounter that had him meet up with the old woman anyway.

Still it makes it tough to really think how Ranma would be in that institution. And what about Kodachi wouldn't she be likely to over hear staff commenting on Ranma getting kidnapped from their care? Wouldn't that change her outlook on the event?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Good point.

Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Ranma getting kidnapped from their care? Wouldn't that change her outlook on the event?

Why would it? She does have some sort of mental condition, why would it matter that she'd have know it wasn't intentional, he still promised to stay and failed to.

Anyway, it is an interesting idea but the mental hospital aspect isn't the best way to go about things in my opinion. Why not have her find the neko-Ranma and be the one to help him. Ranma comes out of it and they become friends, only for Ranma to move on without being able to say goodbye to her which translates into her being bitter and starts her mental condition, which is worsened by the death of her mother, etc. Feels a bit more in line with the feel of the show.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Because that meeting while Neko method has definitely been done a few times just not with Kodachi.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Return to Ideas