Knight Industries, AirWolf

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Knight Industries, AirWolf

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:56 pm

There are many episodes of Air Wolf that point out how "Smart" or over built Airwolf's computer systems are. One episode even goes so far as saying Airwolf even knows how to reproduce its self to make it more like a living being. Also related to the computer is an episode called Moffetts Ghost. Where Air Wolf ends up flying under the control of a boobytrap program completely out of the pilots control.

I think you might have some idea where I am going with this if you know anything about K.I.T.T.'s abilities.

The real question that gets this all going though is "What if" What if everyone's favorite Playboy employer at the F.I.R.M. Arch Angel hires Bonnie Barstow from F.L.A.G. There is at least a season where Bonnie is not on the shows cast after all.

Now, consider what the effective Mother/Doctor of K.I.T.T. would do getting to upgrade the computers on an already autonomously mobile vehicle like Air Wolf?

How would String and Dom react to Lady that talks back? What would Kitt think of having a sister in the sky? Could it lead to The FIRM and FLAG working together on a more regular basis?

I Challenge fans of these two series to give it a shot.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Knight Industries, AirWolf

Postby Makoto » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:59 am

Ooh! Can it take the place of (or erase) That Airwolf "Season" Which Shall Not Be Named? :mrgreen:

Actually, I think it would be somewhat difficult to pull off, IMHO - at the very least (discounting the above-mentioned 'season'), Hawke would not let anyone make major modifications to Airwolf. Too much of a risk, especially since someone could slip in a way for the FIRM to take control of Airwolf, or physically do it outright at some point during the process. The episode where they try to convince Hawke to update the battle computers/programs is an example of this, IIRC.

(Edit: Remember that one of the main Airwolf plot points is that Hawke is essentially holding Airwolf hostage, so that the FIRM will dedicate its resources to finding his brother. This premise would provide a number of possible openings the FIRM could exploit to recover Airwolf, so Hawke would likely never allow it.)

Besides, Moffet probably rigged the programming and hardware with enough backdoors and conditional checks to make shoe-horning any new components or a major programming addition extremely difficult.

Plus, I wouldn't put it past Archangel, Hawke and Dominic to believe a free-thinking AI would only decrease the pilot/aircraft response time/reaction/etc. What use would a weapon be, to the FIRM, if it could refuse to do its job? And while adding an AI would allow Airwolf to go on unmanned missions, the Santini crew could argue that that decreases the need for a human pilot... so why would they be needed?

(...and enough free-thought rambling and proving I know a bit too much about either series; I shall return to lurking, in a moment. :roll: )
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:23 pm

I was actually thinking of cutting in as a reaction to the Moffets Ghost problem. It causes the greatest doubt in AirWolf being safe to trust due to its on board computers of any other episode. Replacing the computers so that there is nothing of Moffet's left behind that could try to avenge him.

Edit: As to the FIRM not trusting an AI, I Agree. I was thinking Bonnie might get carried away and at first have the AI be a secret from the FIRM. Still needing a voice synthesizer to be able to communicate verbally.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:05 pm

Hmmm... having watched and been a fan of both shows, how about a different approach (two actually)... ones that would let Bonnie at the computers *and* explain her absense from Knight industries.

Have Bonnie leave the firm on a extended absence after getting a call, officially a vacation, unofficially to help some dear friends. The friends are Hawk and company, whom she owes a favor to. Whom called her in for help with retrofitting Airwolf, someone independant, not connected to either the Government or the firm, and whom already has high clearance and passes background checks at Knight Industries.

Alternatively, have her called in officially, with Hawk or Partner going directly to Knight industries, either having past connections/history to Devon or the founder. Knight Industries having a good rep, and being independant, could help in exchange for handling a few off the record cases. Thus getting them sporadic funding, getting them a crossover baseline, and getting interaction with Michael and Kitt. This also would be a explanation for her absence.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Would Kaitlyn and Bonnie knowing eachother from grade or high school be too much of a stretch? After all Kate might have been a Airborn Deputy in Texas but that doesn't mean everyone she knew growing up stayed in the same places as her.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby ckosacranoid » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:03 pm

wow, talk about two shows from a blast from the 80s.... its cool to see people talking about that series.
it been ages since i have seen airwolf and not so much with knight rider though.
http://otakuracing.blogspot.com/
my blog for busniess and other things i do.
ckosacranoid
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby PCHeintz72 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Would Kaitlyn and Bonnie knowing eachother from grade or high school be too much of a stretch? After all Kate might have been a Airborn Deputy in Texas but that doesn't mean everyone she knew growing up stayed in the same places as her.

I'd have to dig in to Kaitlyns background to relearn it, I cannot remember her past from the show all that well. I liked it mainly because I like Ernest Borginine.

Unfortunately, while I remember and liked the series, to be honest, from the 80's my favorite series were Reminton Steele and Scarcrow and Mrs King. If going into the 90's that changes to Diagnosis Murder, A&E Sherlock Holmes, and Murder She Wrote. Mysteries series, not action series.
PCHeintz72
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:21 am

Heh, I've tossed around the idea of a Diagnosis Murder/Detective Conan crossover in the past. :)

I don't think they really went into Caitlyn's background all that much, unfortunately. So, it's probably easier to fill in the blanks, for her.

The thing about the "Moffet's Ghost" episode is that they basically believed that their high-altitude climb maneuver took care of everything, and everything goes back to status quo. Hawke doesn't seem to have any problems with (or trusting) the computers after that (even though you can guess they're wondering what ELSE Moffet might have put in there).
...and this is considering Hawke is perhaps a bit on the paranoid/untrusting side. :)

I'd probably want to see Airwolf cross paths with KITT, first (even while other things might be happening with Bonnie, on the side... maybe she's in town for a class reunion, and goes to see Caitlyn at Santini Air. Airwolf is out on a test flight in the desert, and Michael and KITT just happen to be in the area (for a legitimate reason, although you have to wonder if Devon somehow managed to arrange it). They end up both after the same bad guys; KITT gets a chance to scan Airwolf, and he and Michael wonder if they're good guys (and even try to communicate with them. Cue machine standoff. :D )
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:17 pm

How about this. We know Santini Air is out in California. And they do allot of filming work for commercials wanting air coverage. What if Bonnie and Michael both finally get Devon to cave in and let them have some Vacation time? But while Bonnie goes to look up an old friend Michael checks the maps and drives out as far from any Human civilization as possible. Straight out into the Valley of the Gods. Which just happens to have Air-Wolf's Lair in it.

Meanwhile back with Bonnie's adventures in vacationing. Someone from past Knight Rider episodes that has experienced just how good she is with technology sees her all alone. No trailer, no Knight to rescue her. And ends up kidnapping her and her friend Kaitlyn from the restaurant where they meet up for lunch.

Unfortunately everyone was off the clock except Kate so obviously Dom and String end up the first ones to get curious and start seeing if they can find out what happened to their friend.

Sound like something that could fit with either series so far?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby talonhunter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:34 pm

my question would it be pre Knight Rider 2000 for the story? Rememmber, Michal retires and gets brought back. Also the Team Knight Rider storyline brings up a good point. How much should a AI be allowed to access for it's mission without human code/link? Also would it involve Garth Knight? KARR? Goliath? And would Wilton Knight have made sure the two teams Could work well together...( After all, he established the foundation as a watchdog as well as a action force...)
Who needs the light when the shadows are so much more...Playful

Senshi of Dione (Saturn IV)

=^*^=
Come see some of the crew here
talonhunter
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:47 pm

I was thinking of this as an AU well within the cannon time lines. Diverging off of Moffets Ghost for Air Wolf and Bonnie's absence in Knight Rider. Before the friendship possibility was brought up. And really only Kate is unknown enough in background history to make that work on the Wolf side.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:54 pm

Ooh evil idea. Do you remember the end of the last KARR episode? It clearly showed KARR destroyed but some of the electronics from him continuing to function. What if Garth Knight Salvages those parts and gets his "Experts" that made Goliath together to make a Helicopter? After all Goliath failed what 3 times so Size obviously isn't enough to win. But gaining the additional mobility of being airborne. Well can't you just imagine how that Villain team up could turn out?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:08 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure whether or not Knight Rider 2000 and Team Knight Rider are canon, at this point. Especially after NBC's latest attempt at the series. :shock:

Or do all those time and storylines still actually fit together? :)
(Didn't they say KR2000 actually DID take place in the year 2000? What I recall of it (yes, including the blatant James Doohan cameo) makes it seem like it would probably be better off as an alt-universe, anyway... and while I don't remember if they actually gave any dates in the new Knight Rider, it's probably safe to say it happens post-2000. :P)

Wasn't there a sort of "Airwolf 2" in the original three seasons of Airwolf? (No, not counting the off-color one in 'season 4'.) I've been meaning to get around to watching the seasons again, for a while... probably as good an excuse as any. :)
...anyway, it clearly wouldn't be the same ship, but if you'd want to combine it with Goliath technology, I'm sure Garth would insist on making it quite formidable. Of course, Goliath was basically created with the intent of flattening everything else on the road. In the air, you're not going to be steamrolling over that many craft. And armor and weaponry will also tend to weigh you down...

(edit: well, since I italicized all the KR series names, figured I should do the same to the Airwolf series name, too, for consistency. Bah. ^_^; )
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Yes there was an Airwolf II commonly called Red wolf. It only appeared for 2 episodes. The man who designed and flew it was Moffet's assistant when it came to designing the weapon systems in the first AirWolf. Airwolf II Lacked the landing gear wing mounted jets on the first Airwolf. But the copter did have a laser weapon. Not all that different to the one K.I.T.T. used to win the first fight against Goliath.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Why does Bonnie being kidnapped to put KARR in the remains of Red Wolf that will be piloted by Garth sound like a Sentai Super Villain incorporating all the bad guys from 2 or 3 prior seasons strengths and hoping for no weaknesses?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas