Crazy Ranma/WoW idea

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Crazy Ranma/WoW idea

Postby Vahn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:50 pm

So I was playing wow the other day when I this idea came to me and wouldn't quit until I thought it through. Say Ranma was banish to Azeroth by Ryoga with a wish and he ends up in the WoW craft verse. I can see him being being weird out by his surroundings, let set the WoW timeline back to before TBC. Now as for landing I can see him landing in Darkshore, where his shape changing surprise the night elves making them thing he could be the first human druid. The fact that he use key a life like energy to his attacks would just further make them thin he's a druid. Then of course he'd have his cat fist after encountering the panthers the Sentinel ride and that would further convince them that Ranma is the first Human druid (worgen not withstanding) I can see Ranma learning to be a druid to tap into the energies of the earth and to also further his ki technique. I can also see him communicating with his cat side to gain a cat form and a flight form.

Now what I want to make clear is the ditizen of Azeroth are not your average push over and are very well verse in martial arts, Blood elves and Night elves specifically. I think Ranma could learn from them and he could from them, as for adventure we'll that's just the setting up adventure I have no idea. :D
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Crazy Ranma/WoW idea

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:35 am

Well its an outline for a set up but what characters in the setting would you use? Are you just going to retell a variation of game events with Ranma just there? What is the plot and does Ranma even have a chance of achieving a goal? Does Ranma have a goal? You have ways Ranma would improve but no reason why.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:16 am

Think you'd be far better off to set the story in the middle of the second or third war. That gives Ranma a viable reason to be fighting as he'll likely assume the Horde are evil monsters and the Alliance are the good guys purely based on species. Solves Spock's problems with your idea nicely.

As to the Druid bits...no. No connection or familiarity with Elune/Earth mother/Emerald Dream is kinda going to make that apparent rather quickly. Better off having him come down in a human village or if you must have Night elves Theramore. Actually Theramore is a good plan. Having Jaina offer to take a look at his curse which activates off one of her summoned water elementals would be pretty interesting.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Vahn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:12 pm

The only problem I see is if we set in during the Second war it would be too violent and well bloody, granted Ranma could kill but who would you have match him? Saurfang? Broxigar? I know I was going to have the dwarven smith forge him two rune katana with him being smaller then your average wow human or if he went the druid route a stave from Nordrassil branch. Either or works. With the second war do we let Lothar die? Do we diverge the WC2 timeline? I had plan on having Ranma respect weapons if we went the second War route, with lothar even as an old man would have the in game warrior WOW abilites as a form of martial arts on that Ranma could totally get behind.

I think Charge and Intercept from season a warrior would be the "speed boast" ability that surprise Ranma along with Whirlwind, rend, main and Demoralizing Shout. All ablities I see can do well against Ranma if we were to apply game mechanics to Ranma making it seem that Ranma is not OP at all but have to work hard in this new world. Another thing I could have is every soldier in Azeroth channel ki subconsciously to boast their attacks and strength against naturally strong beings like Orcs, Orges and Dragons. There by surprising Ranma , of course I could also have him be given an elite united and reform the Brotherhood o the Horse which would be fitting.

Another idea as a druid however would be the elves fighting ability which seem a lot like martial arts that Ranma knows and him being an outsiders.

However all of that would be in the first idea , my second Idea would have Ranma be the essence and pure soul of what's left of Deathwing before he got corrupted, knowing that he was losing himself he sent his soul to Earth. One could if they want to link the fact that Ranma is the Earthwarder to why he have some many different Hiryuu shoten Ha variation and can battle a phoenix god. This way we could pull him into the current wow now so he could cure replace the earth warder.

Like i said , crazy!
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 pm

A dragon aspect? I guess crazier things have happened ala the sunwell...That would be different I suppose.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:42 pm

The wow figures using ki I could buy, though I wouldn't really go 'unconsciously'. All the 'heroes' by the time you reach at least say level 10 are plainly superhuman. By the time you get to to the upper levels and raid fights (aka 70-85) I more or less thinking that its less 'stand and move out of the fire while hitting boss' as most raids, discounting mechanics are, but more something along the line of a near city destroying battle with everybody moving and hitting obscenely hard.

Now most abilities being ki used in a way is actually interesting and makes sense. There are a LOT of techniques there to be had, but at the same time the motivation for Ranma to fight needs to be there. Though really if you dropped him into WoW proper, you could basically have Ranma hanging out the city maybe trying with a mage's help to get home when all of a sudden either hordes of undead invade the city (aka Lich King invasion) or a giant dragon fly's past fucking up the world (Deathwing's cataclysm).

I'm honestly not really sure I like the second idea of Ranma being the part of the 'earth warden', I just don't think he seems well connected enough with earth etc to really count. More I kind of like the idea of Ranma being, whatever he is, something he made himself into.

As for where he turns up, might be interesting if he turned up in Dalaran itself, rather than Horde/Alliance. That place is huge, despite what it looks like in games. It also gives ample demonstration 'This isn't earth no more' aside from the possible non humans running around, floating city kind of quenches it.

If your talking about 'translating game terms into mechanics etc' I would think that rather than say 'kill raid boss, get phat loots' its more like 'kill obscenely magically powerful warrior, get some kind of 'ki/magic responsive material' that smiths back in the city can actually make weapons from.

Him being taught by the druids I guess makes sense though I doubt he would limit himself to that 'school'; and would probably be al up to cross train with shamans, warriors and rogue's etc.

It's an interesting idea. However turning game mechanics into something that makes sense would be a fairly large undertaking. (there is of course also the problem that as of cataclysm there really isn't a 'likeable' faction leader left other than possibly Wolfen guy and possibly Jaina but I don't think she really counts.)
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Return to Ideas