Battle Fantasia: Idea Discussion Thread

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Re: Battle Fantasia: Idea Discussion Thread

Postby Pale Wolf » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:41 pm

I don't consider Crystal Tokyo to be necessarily the Utopia(or Dystopia) that the Senshi interpreted it as being. We get very little information about it, most of it from enemies of it. In the manga(or was it the anime?), future Kamen tells them that it is a major hub of trade, but that doesn't mean all that much.

They do outright say Usagi's queen of the world, which is kinda 'BAD END' to me.

I have no objection to alternate futures and flexible timelines. I like them in general. I just don't see that a particular design for the buildings of Tokyo equates to a particular form of government. There are current projects looking at carbon nanotubes to build structures vastly bigger than anything currently in existence. I've seen one fic where someone comments that they have windows made out of pure diamond(manufactured, of course) simply because it was cheaper than glass because of the relative availability of carbon and silicates on the planet. Crystal Tokyo could be more an expression of new building technologies based on growing crystals to be more efficient, cheaper, more durable, or any combination of the above, than a representation of a fairy tale princess who rules the world with an iron fist.

Oh, I don't have anything against the architectural style (in fact, Crystal Island is in Moscow and already in planning). Nothing wrong with things looking like that in the future.

My issue is solely against the Senshi in a governmental role. Which is, unfortunately, outright stated to be the canon.

Hijacking the architecture works fine, though!
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Wyrd » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:11 pm

They do outright say Usagi's queen of the world, which is kinda 'BAD END' to me.

There are many kinds of queens. Some are figureheads, some deal primarily with internal issues, some deal primarily with external issues. Since Mamoru is the one actually linked to the Earth, he is also the one most likely in charge. There is also the definite advantage to having an immortal queen. You kind of avoid most succession issues that way. Also, there is no telling how much she may have matured in this time frame. Her communications with her earlier self might have been a bit childish to conceal her true intentions or because she doesn't get many opportunities to act a little childish any more.

Alternatively, something I've been trying to find a way to work into a fic is the idea that Queen and King meant different things in that time than they do now. The whole idea of inheriting a position of leadership was a corruption of the fact that the most likely person to be the next Senshi/Guardian of a planet was the child of the current ones. It wasn't until the advent of primogeniture* that the system became really corrupted, though. Then, the position was determined by who was linked to the planet, with their powers having three stages:

1: The Senshi or Guardian stage is the training stage, when they first get their powers. At this point they have very little political power, but they usually serve in military positions of authority both to teach them leadership skills and familiarity with the troops they may later be sending into battle, and because they have a heck of a lot of firepower focused into one person who is effectively mobile artillery.

2: The Queen or King stage is when their powers have matured. They have the most political power because they quite literally speak with the voice of the planet. A great many of these do not take an interest in day to day ruling and only act when issues come up that affect the whole planet, either through something like industrialization causing pollution and over-hunting throwing ecosystems out of balance or when dealing with interplanetary diplomacy. The Queens of Venus, for example, are notorious for declaring that their world demands parties. Lots and lots of parties. People would be more suspicious of these requests if not for the fact that almost every one of their Queens has said the same thing.

The advantage to the people of this state of affairs is that the Kings and Queens can do quite a lot to influence the environment of a planet, rendering inhabitable what would otherwise be barren. Venus wound up the apocalyptic greenhouse world we see today because it was heavily industrialized with its Queen spending a lot of effort to clear the pollution generated and keep the world in balance. Once there was no queen, things spiraled out of control very rapidly. This is why if they told their subjects that what they were proposing or already doing was too much, they listened.

3: The Goddess/God state, and the one that is quite useful for tying in other series. This is the semi-retired form of a Queen/King. Their connection to their world has grown so strong that they begin to have trouble understanding ordinary people. Their power within their dominion is immense, but they are no longer capable of leaving their world in a physical state.

A couple of examples of how this can be used:

Tsunami is goddess Mercury, promoted from Queen Mercury during the evacuation of Mercury when there was an accident with one of her experimental organic ships.

Aqua Regia from Mermaid Melody is Goddess Neptune, with the mermaids being survivors who escaped or were stranded on Earth after the Fall.

Just about any nebulous spiritual being of great power could be linked into the mythos by them being the God/Goddess of a world, with the stories and mythologies surrounding the group serving that being having become corrupted over time. I even plan on using the idea of the Phoenix people of Mt. Jusendo actually being descendants of natives of Uranus who forgot their origins or who spread the myth that their wings came from the springs.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pale Wolf » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:15 pm

There is also the definite advantage to having an immortal queen. You kind of avoid most succession issues that way.

I'm not sure having one leader for eternity is an advantage at all. Leaders are like underwear - they get stale, they get dirty, and you need to replace them every so often.

The whole idea of inheriting a position of leadership was a corruption of the fact that the most likely person to be the next Senshi/Guardian of a planet was the child of the current ones. It wasn't until the advent of primogeniture* that the system became really corrupted, though.

Well, two things here. #1, you put a little star like you were gonna define it, but then you never actually did. (Fortunately, I do know what the word means)

#2, senshi in a position of rulership is not one ounce less corrupt than passing it down by bloodline. Because it's fundamentally the same process - you're choosing the leader first, based on an essentially arbitrary factor that has no bearing whatsoever on judgement and leadership, and then you're trying to teach them so they become qualified.

It's not an entirely invalid system, but it's just a different flavour of monarchy, and I prefer to think we've grown beyond that. But more than that, it's inaccurate to claim it's anything different from primogeniture-based monarchy.

And hell, I'm not even arguing that people with, say, a connection to their planets aren't a damn useful thing for a society to have. But... they regulate the environment. They're planetary janitors, not rulers.

I think the big issue I have here is that this is supposed to be a massive multicrossover.

You're talking about how to slot everyone else into Sailor Moon, where Sailor Moon's canon doesn't need to give way on anything, but every other series involved gets its history rewritten to fit. You can do it completely SM-centric like that, but you're only gonna make the SM-conquers-all fanboys happy.

My opinion, a large-scale cross like this needs to give at least close to equal precedence to all the series involved. Don't just overwrite it all with Sailor Moon.
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Mitchell » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:29 am

I agree mostly with Pale_Wolf here. While the 'levels of senshi' sort of make sense, being basically in a way copied from the Dresden Files and the Fey Queens (The Lady, the Queen and the Mothers) I dont particularly like the idea of Tsunami being slotted in since...you know it kind of demolishes the cosmology of others.

As for the 'speak with the voice of a planet' while I can see Pale's point, they are if they are regulating the planet etc they don't particularly make good rulers..on the other hand since Senshi are pretty much said to be the planet incarnate they do have a good claim 'hey I should have a major say in interplanetary issues here since you know your all living on my 'major body' or such. I don't particularly think that the Senshi would or SHOULD make great leaders, however I can see WHY they are.

the real problem, from a purely 'people level' thing is a Senshi 'Queen/King' is effectively a god emperor. I mean this person has the rule of the land, probably effectively leads the armed forces and can fuck up the very things that allow the people on the planet to survive. The 'Major Planets' we have no idea if they are like PLANET from FFVII in with its 'doesn't really care about humans, only its own survival' but its a very good possibility for bodies that have been around for a couple hundred millions of years etc. I can see the senshi basically going 'yeah im kind of the voice of something that's been here longer than your species' but lets leave any 'rightness' of the senshi to tell the people 'my way or the highway' and ignore it because it raises all kinds of tricky issues and 'divine mandate' and shit like that that its probably not relevant to the story.

I agree with Wolf's last point. Don't make everything fit in with Sailor Moon..or another series in fact. Each series has to be able ot give and take, just making everybody Senshi or from the Silver Millennium is a bad idea.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:54 am

Tsunami wouldn't be that appropriate as Senshi/Queen/Goddess Mercury. If that's how to get Tenchi and company into the match, Washuu would be more appropriate for a planet like Mercury, full of scholars and artificers.

The Pretty Sammy iteration of Tenchi would be better anyway.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Wyrd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Well, two things here. #1, you put a little star like you were gonna define it, but then you never actually did. (Fortunately, I do know what the word means)

#2, senshi in a position of rulership is not one ounce less corrupt than passing it down by bloodline. Because it's fundamentally the same process - you're choosing the leader first, based on an essentially arbitrary factor that has no bearing whatsoever on judgement and leadership, and then you're trying to teach them so they become qualified.

Yeah, I realized that a couple of hours later, while trying to get to sleep. For those who don't know, primogeniture is the practice of the first born inheriting everything, regardless of any other qualifications or lack thereof. We wouldn't have had a lot of the bad rulers in history who only got their office through the luck of being first born if not for that.

#2: I didn't clarify exactly what I meant. A person isn't just born a Senshi by random chance, they are chosen by the planet. When the planet you are living on tells you who it wants in charge, most people are going to listen. Also, since they aren't, in general, absolute rulers, they have far less to worry about in terms of corruption or not being suited to lead. They pass on messages from the planet when the actions of their people are having an impact on it. Beyond that, many have only a figurehead role in their governments, occasionally called in for advice or to break a tie in the actual ruling body. The problem is that the idea got corrupted after the fall of the Silver Millenium, leading to the bad perception we have of those concepts now. When it works, monarchy is one of the most effective forms of government. When it fails, however, it tends to fail worse than just about any other form of government.

As to why I put all this in SM terms--I've been writing a SM crossover fic, so I've done a lot of thinking about the series and trying not just to adapt it to the other series in the story but to tradition and myth. The three stages are based on the old legends of the three stages of people: maiden, mother, crone, or squire, father, elder. My version of the SM universe is already heavily edited, which makes editing it a bit more to accommodate for another series much easier. All would need to be adapted to some extent to make them fit together.

Tsunami as Goddess Mercury works best in a specific one of the Tenchi continuities, though I forget which one. They disagree rather thoroughly with each other, after all.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pale Wolf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:27 pm

#2: I didn't clarify exactly what I meant. A person isn't just born a Senshi by random chance, they are chosen by the planet. When the planet you are living on tells you who it wants in charge, most people are going to listen.

A lot of people will, but it's not necessarily a good thing.

Planets don't give a shit about people. Or about any particular kind of life. 'Life' is just a constantly-replicating set of chemical reactions, and a planet wouldn't have the perspective to even notice the difference (it's basically impossible to wipe out the ability to support life, because most of the things will die... and then the life adjusts to the new circumstances - the impression that life requires Earthlike, human-habitable planets is very geocentric).

The planet doesn't care whether people are starving, living in 1984, enslaved, or anything. It doesn't have the perspective to even notice, and if it did, what would the difference be?

People bonded to the planets as rulers make good rulers for the planet, not the society. As far as the people are concerned, it's basically the same thing as getting a ruler chosen by the random chance of who gets born first. Being chosen by the planet makes it great for the planet, but it still doesn't equate to having leadership or judgement skills, so it's still arbitrary as far as the actual task of rulership goes.

When it works, monarchy is one of the most effective forms of government. When it fails, however, it tends to fail worse than just about any other form of government.

I'd call that an incorrect statement.

Effectiveness is measured by how likely it is to work. That is best measured by safety nets - that is, how easily can we get rid of problems, and make sure that the people who end up in charge are good options?

Unfortunately, monarchy only has the single, last safety net that everything has to boil down to at the end - if they're a complete scuzzbucket, someone can kill them.

All that said... eh. I don't feel like running a debate centered around your rewrite of Sailor Moon canon, and I'd rather move the thread on to discussing things actually related to the magical girl crossover concept. Not that your rewrite is necessarily bad, just that it doesn't look like it's for this idea at all, and if we're centering discussions around it, we're focusing the discussion around a completely unrelated fic, and on a phantasm that the majority of the people here know nothing about.

To start off: One would first need to look at the restrictiveness involved in any particular magical girl series. Each one has certain elements of the setting that simply can't be overwritten.

For instance, Tenchi Muyo being nowhere near our planetary system at all, so characters from that setting being gods of local planets would seem a bit... off. (Cheap shot, I know)

More seriously:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica has a very sharp timeline limit - whatever year it is, it runs from exactly March 16 to April 30. You can lengthen things out a couple months at most, but no matter what, it'll be a fairly short time frame. There's also an in-character problem relating to the magical girls' survival which I can't go into detail on lest I spoil. It's not a problem with crossovers, but it is something that would need to be resolved before any kind of happy ending is even on the table.

Sailor Nothing has a very heavy tone, and that's basically central to it. So you'd either break Sailor Nothing, or you'd have to match its tone, and not a lot of people would want to do that for some parts. Sailor Nothing could fit in an 'after the events' sense, though.

Sailor Moon is actually one of the least restrictive of these, it only really marks away a period of time millenia in the past, and states that there's humanoid life and senshi out in the rest of the galaxy. (Which is one of the reasons that all the other, more history-dependent series, getting rewritten to match the one that didn't need it struck me as... off.) It also potentially marks away a part of the far future, but it's worth noting that one only really has to stick with that if they want to - it's very easy to note that the current events are happening differently, so the future likely would as well.

Fate/Kaleido Liner Prisma Illya... might be restrictive, or might not be. It's connected to the Nasuverse, one of the densest-background-information settings in anime, but very loosely, since it's already apparently in an alternate universe from the main one. And fortunately, the Nasuverse elements Prisma Illya does include appear to mostly be the Mage's Association (which is small and mostly has their head stuck up their ass, so they're unlikely to interfere unless you want them to) and the 'there were some really, really badass people in the past' bit.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha's major restriction is the multi-world setting - Nanoha and the TSA mostly restrict the level of 'universe-busting' things that can exist in alternate realities, because they usually move out to intervene in 'em. The other restriction is the TSA itself - it's a magical community that is a great deal larger and more active than most, but is fortunately very distant and has a lot of other jobs to do.

Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka is most likely inappropriate - too much of a fantasy kitchen sink, and more or less takes pride in it (magical girls, magical girl zombies, necromancers, vampires who are also ninja...)

I've noted that Infinite Stratos is basically a magical girl show in disguise (the way Nanoha is a mecha show in disguise...), but its major restriction is very big - it makes statements about the world itself, because there's no masquerade, the protagonists have abilities that are well known, and sometimes matched or exceeded. Which means its inclusion would break the key requirement of a magical girl broken masquerade megacrossover - namely, that the normals can't handle it, so the magical girls actually have to fight.

Most others, I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with. (I was familiar with Venus Versus Virus, but it's been years since I watched, so I can't really remember the background details)

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Wyrd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:35 pm

The planet doesn't care whether people are starving, living in 1984, enslaved, or anything. It doesn't have the perspective to even notice, and if it did, what would the difference be?

That we know of. Given that life appears to be the natural state of most planets in that setting, this could be very incorrect=)

But as you said, we need to move on, unless someone wants to discuss how these ideas further relate to specific instances later on. That said, I would like to say that I brought up the Sailor Moon Setting because it isn't historically dependent. It provides reasons that coincide with the beliefs present in most mahou shoujo set in modern times, and thus makes a good framework for background information, not foreground stuff. Mermaid Melody, for example, would not be changed at all if they learned that their distant ancestors came from another planet.

Unfortunately, some of the series I'm thinking of I don't recall the names of. There are a couple of Korean series that could be worked in, but I haven't read any of them for quite some time.

Shugo Chaara should have Character Bearers all over the world. Only a small percentage of them can transform with the aid of their characters, with most only being capable of moments of extraordinary skill or limited magical abilities. Still, setting up a network of various Character Bearers could have an interesting impact on the development of society, as only those with very strong dreams and a lot of potential wind up this way.

Cardcaptor Sakura needs no changes to fit in, only a few questions about the nature of her magic that would determine things like if she can capture cardians and add them to her deck(or any other card monsters from other series).

Mermaid Melody has characters that believe firmly in their mission. They occasionally wish for choices that aren't available to them, but those choices are denied because of them being mermaids, not because of their profession. Any of them could wind in this alliance easily enough.

I'm having trouble thinking of more. I know there are more that I have read/watched, but my brain cooperateth not.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pale Wolf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:42 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:M ... _and_manga - This list helps, but I've seen maybe five percent of what's there, and it doesn't factor in some series, likely mostly manga - for instance, Night Wizard Variable Witch and Oto X Maho aren't on the list.

I'm not caught up in Oto X Maho, but it doesn't seem to have any major elements that would break a setting. There's some kind of organization behind the magical girls, but I'm yet unaware as to its specifics.

Variable Witch, on the other hand, is part of the Night Wizard universe, which is apparently a Japanese pen-and-paper RPG setting. I don't know the specifics that well, but it's a damned big setting and most definitely has the problem of a vast shitload of people who could fill in for the magical girls.

I haven't seen Shugo Chara yet (I plan to, but...).

CCS... it doesn't make much assumption about a setting, but it does make a little - namely, that there is a magical community of some degree, though mostly small and remote. For most crossovers, that can work fine, but it can present a problem if you want to work with 'magic only now turned up, that's why there are only youngish magical girls'.

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Wyrd » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:46 am

CCS... it doesn't make much assumption about a setting, but it does make a little - namely, that there is a magical community of some degree, though mostly small and remote. For most crossovers, that can work fine, but it can present a problem if you want to work with 'magic only now turned up, that's why there are only youngish magical girls'.

Unless you want to cut out all series where there is a magical history behind them, which is a rather large percentage, it is hard to say that there were no mages before the present. It is easier to say that they were either much rarer before the present, that upsurges like this happen on a periodic basis, or that for some reason there has been a spike in average power levels of those who have magic, allowing for the sudden appearance of so many powerful individuals.

One possibility for why so much is happening at once is to look at those series with global or even wider repercussions in the enemies they faced. Sailor Moon faced multiple enemies from alternate dimensions, who may not have been all that careful in their travels to and from Earth, weakening the walls of reality. Nanoha likewise had multiple occasions where their fights threatened the very fabric of reality not just on Earth, but in some cases threatened to damage nearby realities as well. Each such event could have had a cumulative effect, whether it weakened/destroyed some sort of seal that had been inhibiting magic or created a means for magical energy to flow into the Earth(effectively creating canals that rerouted magical energies to the 'desert' of Earth, magically irrigating it).

CCS, for example, started because an untrained child had so much magical potential that she registered as a fully trained magus to the seal on the Clow cards that had kept anyone from opening them for the last several centuries. This fits in with the TSABs records of Earth having only a few mages of any note historically. They just happen to be out of date, as something is causing more mages of great power to be born on Earth than apparently appear on Midchilda, given that most of these individuals would be ranked as S-class mages, of which the entire TSAB, with its 70(or so) member planets supplying recruits, seems to have only a couple dozen on staff.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Each such event could have had a cumulative effect, whether it weakened/destroyed some sort of seal that had been inhibiting magic or created a means for magical energy to flow into the Earth(effectively creating canals that rerouted magical energies to the 'desert' of Earth, magically irrigating it).

It's definitely a possibility, but wouldn't that mean Nanoha is on the low, 'unirrigated' end? :P

They just happen to be out of date, as something is causing more mages of great power to be born on Earth than apparently appear on Midchilda, given that most of these individuals would be ranked as S-class mages, of which the entire TSAB, with its 70(or so) member planets supplying recruits, seems to have only a couple dozen on staff.

Just to note, the TSA letter ranking is comprehensive, not power-based. (In A's, Chrono, who could kick Fate or Nanoha's ass, had much lower power, but was AAA+) Less a measure of how big a boom you can make, and more a measure of whose ass you can kick. Hayate has a special-purpose ranking rather than the usual comprehensive (SSS) because while her raw power is hard to match and she can toss out epic artillery, she can't cast with any speed so the only person under her command who maybe couldn't beat her in a fight is Caro without Fried (this is Hayate's own rating of herself).

Another possibility regarding the mage strength, if you go by an 'ambient magic' theory - Earth mages are rarer but more powerful because they're rare, that is that because they're rare, a greater 'slice' of the magic pie is available for each of them. (Lord, Usagi would love this analogy.)

One thing I'd have to say - the 'why are they all coming now' should, if feasible, be tied back into your central plot, whatever it is. It's a key element of what even allows the fic, so you may as well use it to help drive the plot.

For instance, if Earth's magic was tied up in an epic-tier spell? Then that spell's dropping or weakening becomes a key element of the plot.

If Earth's in a 'magic tide'? Then have someone want to do something with it.

If the dimensional walls are weakening? Well, that'd be another little... problem.

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Wyrd » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 pm

It's definitely a possibility, but wouldn't that mean Nanoha is on the low, 'unirrigated' end?

Just because Earth is a desert doesn't mean that it doesn't have the occasional oasis. There is also the idea that there is still the occasional exceptional mage even without this influx of new energy that makes it much easier for them to exist and much more common.

Something that could explain why the high end power and capability is showing up more on Earth than Midchilda is because Earth doesn't have one standardized system. In Nanoha, there are many styles of magic, the Mid-childan version being very dependent on math and rapid calculations. Earth having so many styles developed so different styles of magic user can learn the one that best suits them to make best use of the limited energy available. Now that there is a lot more energy available, you have a lot of options for mages so that a higher percentage of people with the power potential can realize that potential.

Eh, that is a little clumsily written. Hopefully the idea gets across though.

Edit:

Another thought that occurs to me is that Nanoha could have gotten an influx of raw power from the presence of the jewel seeds, either directly from them or because their mere presence was enough to weaken the walls of reality and let some magic in. Raging heart could also have held a reserve of magical energy that helped her in her first battle until she was able to start drawing enough power for herself. The ease with which magic came to her shocked Yuuno, but that doesn't mean she was at full power when she first got Raging Heart.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Pale Wolf » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:05 pm

Something that could explain why the high end power and capability is showing up more on Earth than Midchilda is because Earth doesn't have one standardized system. In Nanoha, there are many styles of magic, the Mid-childan version being very dependent on math and rapid calculations. Earth having so many styles developed so different styles of magic user can learn the one that best suits them to make best use of the limited energy available.

Another possibility is the Fate/Stay Night explanation. Because people don't have training, they're learning in strange, strange ways, allowing them to excel beyond belief in particular skill sectors while being almost completely undeveloped in others.

Though it's worth noting that Nanoha is high Midchildan level, not off the charts, Fate/Alicia were stronger than her in terms of pure power output, by a full 10% - high, but not unprecedentedly high. It may simply be that the only mage-potentials that catch anyone's interest (and thus become magical girls) are the ones who are already fucktardedly powerful.

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Mitchell » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Actually that would make a lot of sense. The ones who are picked up are either fucktardly powerful or have so much affinity for specific sets of magic that they are almost certianly drawing tiny bits of even BEFORE they get picked up/trained. The vast majority of people are simply NOT super powerful or super attuned to the kinds of magic people are searching for. The fact that there is no standardized training method or world wide magical community to catch these people before they find an outlet is another point as well.

I do think that Pale_Wolf's idea that without the standard training method people are training in strange strange ways, or basically just throwing power in a kind of pre-programmed spell set wold also make sense.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Think Shirou.

"So wait, Projection isn't retracing and manifesting the entire exacting construction, details, and history of the object? ... Oops." But lacking training, he can't actually do anything other than his single impossible thing.

Anyway, my favoured explanations are either A: 'Earth actually does have a normal spread of magical potential, but lacking a magical society, the only ones we actually see are the ones who either Shiroued and learned something impossible because they didn't know it was, or the ones who're already highly powerful and draw the interest of various superempowering beings'.

B: If you're going with the 'magic is environmental mana' theory, then 'There's just as much mana, but less people able to use it, so they each have a bigger chunk of the pie'.

Or C: 'Something very, very fucked up is going on.' (Aka the 'plot' answer.)

Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas