Mothering a Firebird.

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Mothering a Firebird.

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 pm

The divergence point is in the fight with Saffron. Everything is the same through the fight and Akane's restoration. But instead of being reborn Saffrons egg cracks and is obviously empty.

On the trip back to Japan Akane appears to be constantly seasick more so than anyone can remember anyone being. But then again it might also be that she's been hanging around the Galley kitchen allot and might have finally accepted that she has to taste her food to cook it properly. Not really but she might have eaten something funny anyway.

After they get back to Nerima Akane is still not feeling well so they go strait to Dr Tofu's Clinic. Seeing he still hasn't returned (He will later in the month) they end up going to the hospital down town and it turns out Akane is Pregnant. One guess how that happened. And no she hasn't done it.

Should this kind of story be done as a crossover or will Akane being the rebirth mother of Saffron be chaotic enough? Know anyone who could do the story and characters justice I could ask to give it a shot? How does Ranma react to the pregnancy? Would it make sense to use Ami's Mother, Dr Mizuno, from Sailor Moon as the Obstetrician even if it doesn't end up becoming a true crossover?
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Re: Mothering a Firebird.

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Spokavriel wrote:Would it make sense to use Ami's Mother, Dr Mizuno, from Sailor Moon as the Obstetrician even if it doesn't end up becoming a true crossover?

I like using other series' characters for walk-ons like this. You give the readers somebody they'll probably recognize, and save yourself the trouble of creating a character out of nothing. You also know both worlds are available if you later decide a crossover would be nice. If you intend a crossover far, far into the storyline, you're preparing the stage; and if you later decide not to crossover, no problem.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks.

The whole reasoning behind this is a what if thought. What if the reason Akane returned to life was because of Saffron. And then I was thinking well Saffron has to be reborn right? What if he ended up in Akane instead of in his egg? I know lame questions but my mind isn't exactly a logical place anyway ;)

Of course Akane being pregnant puts a whole new level of urgency onto the fathers to force the marriage. Not to mention the hassles of paternity tests and Akane's likelihood to be freaking out since she knows she didn't do anything to get her pregnant unless someone did something to her when she was unconscious. And her imagination could lay blame for that kind of thing on Ranma until she finds out just who P-Chan is.

There's also the Phoenix angle. They are devastated after the egg their god had always been reborn from ended up empty. And fearful of Ranma and all that accompanied him because to them he really did kill their god. How do you fight that? Where do you go from there? What do you do after you realize just hiding and waiting to die is boring and takes too long?

With Shampoo and Mousse involved the news doesn't stay contained to Phoenix mountain. What happens when the other tribes and kingdoms of the region hear about the fall of the Phoenix god?
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:15 pm

Just to comment, while the fathers would step up their efforts to try and force Ranma and Akane to wed each other, seeing as how Akane is pregnant, in risk of dishonor and they have "proof" that Akane and Ranma have secretly been sleeping with other, the teens in question would probably fight against the idea even more tooth and nail than they have ever done before.

I mean, Akane knows for a fact she and Ranma have never slept together, but if she's pregnant, then clearly she has had sex with a man, and Ranma would be the "most likely" candidate for raping her, in her mind. After all, she's accused him of having the potential and even the outright intent of such horrible things before in the manga canon. If she's discovered that he "did" do such a terrible thing, then her ever-weak, oft-abused trust for him would shatter completely - she wouldn't want anything to do with him, and if her beliefs were actually founded in reality, I honestly wouldn't blame her myself.

Speaking of Akane, given the current set up for this, a rather distasteful element you're going to need to do is figure out a way to stymie her from trying to sneak away and get an abortion. In America and places like that, it's seen as wrong and not something a "good girl" should do, but in Japan, it's actually much better preceived than regular birth control is. From a cultural viewpoint, the only one who would have a problem with her getting rid of it would be Soun and Genma, who are convinced it's Ranma's child and so are eager to use it to to force her to marry him at last. Kasumi and Nabiki would both encourage her to abort (Kasumi because, as said, it's more common to simply abort an unwanted embryo than it is to take birth control in the first place, Nabiki because she's greedy and selfish and knows a baby is expensive and annoying), and Ranma, well...

Ranma would be just as terrible in his treatment of Akane as Akane would be of him, if not worse. Ranma knows he didn't have sex with Akane at any point, would be offended (if not outright furious) by Akane accusing him of raping her, and would be just as convinced that Akane has been sleeping with someone (like Ryoga) behind his back. Ranma really doesn't have much trust in Akane's ability to stay chaste around other guys than she does when it comes to him and his other fiancees, as seen in the Ryugenzawa arc. It doesn't help that Akane has deliberately played with Ryoga's feelings at times to make Ranma jealous (the "date" Ukyo set them up on after she joined the cast, Waterproof Soap, Tunnel of Lost Love).

On the question of what would happen if they heard about Saffron, I have to ask; would anyone really care? The Phoenix People have always been very isolationist (they're stuck up bastards); as far as most people are concerned, they're nothing more than fairy tales and bedtime stories - not real. Most would probably express minor interest in hearing they were real after all and then just go about it, though I can see two potential other developments occuring, myself.

Firstly, we know the Phoenix People have kidnapped and implicitly manipulated others with Shikimori Eggs - we've seen a big storehouse full of loaded eggs in the manga story that precludes this idea of yours. Given how the Byankala villages seem to be made up of martial artists with hair-trigger tempers and big egos, it's hardly impossible that some of them would leap to the conclusion that the Phoenix People have caused disasters to their people in the past (who knows, maybe they did) and decide to seek revenge now that Saffron is out of the way.

Secondly, as I mentioned the Byankalas seem to be full of martial artists with big egos. Ranma just took down one of the local kami, so, that obviously makes him one really powerful martial artist. And what does a martial artist with an ego like to do? Prove he's the best, of course! Anyone who doesn't get caught up in the idea of attacking the Phoenix People would probably come storming to Nerima, eager to take on a kami-killer and test the true extent of their own skill.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:39 pm

I was actually thinking of including the abortion attempt angle. How do you abort an immortal? It would just repeatedly fail and leave her pregnant longer.

Ranma would be Anti abortion. What is weaker than an unborn? Seeing encouragement for an abortion even from an unknown father might even make him willingly go ronin to get away from such murderous girls. Killing Saffron might make it so he wouldn't go that way but it is supported fannon that Ranma believes in defending kids above all because they haven't had the chance to get strong yet.

I could imagine Ranma calling Akane an Uncute dishonorable whore. But I'd see him more avoiding her from the pain over the situation. He did call out his feelings for her on the mountain after all.

Its the failed abortions that I was thinking would provide the first hints to the NWC as to the infant not being a normal pregnancy.

Where the heck did you get a revenge idea from? I was asking what the reaction would be to the Phoenix people being leaderless. What kind of worries would there be among the tribes and the kingdoms of the area. The Phoenix can't exactly Survive in their Mountain home without Saffron for long and they are going to have to plan to react to that! I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT REVENGE.

Where did any idea of attacking the Phoenix get suggested? I don't remember writing it and I'm not seeing it outside of your response.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Spokavriel wrote:Where the heck did you get a revenge idea from? I was asking what the reaction would be to the Phoenix people being leaderless. What kind of worries would there be among the tribes and the kingdoms of the area. The Phoenix can't exactly Survive in their Mountain home without Saffron for long and they are going to have to plan to react to that! I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT REVENGE.

Where did any idea of attacking the Phoenix get suggested? I don't remember writing it and I'm not seeing it outside of your response.

Like it or not, neither the Amazons nor the Musk are noted for their gentleness and forbearance. I can easily see a bit of territorial expansion going on thereabouts.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Yes, he declared to himself at the very least he was in love with Akane after restoring her body to normal and while thinking she was dead - do remember that A: he wasn't able to admit to doing so when Akane called it, and B: he had no inklings at the time that Akane might have been cheating on him. If Akane turns out to be pregnant with a baby Ranma knows for certain isn't his, well, you've admitted he'd avoid her - it doesn't matter whether the cause is pain, anger or distrust, neither is going to speak to the other, and so things would only get worse between the two, particularly if you make use of the idea of Ranma being anti-abortion (assuming his "protect the weak" spiel applies here - remember, different cultural perceptions - and his vengefulness, spite and vindictiveness doesn't override that) and still have Akane persist in trying to get rid of Saffron until she finally admits it's not going to work. Cheating and arguments over children are are both something that can tear a healthy, loving, open, trusting relationship apart... and there is no way in hell that Ranma and Akane fit under any of those denominations. Except maybe loving, but even that's debatable.

Precisely that; you asked what the other tribes and villages might do once they found out the Phoenix People would be leaderless - and so thusly be weak, confused, vulnerable and distracted. Assuming the villagers give even the slightest damn, given they had always thought the Phoenix People were nothing more than myths, and taking note of the highly vengful, aggressive personas we've seen of all the residents from the region in canon (Shampoo, Mousse, Pink, Link, Herb, Lime, Mint, even Kiima and Saffron), it was a natural grasp to suggest that the villages may think "hey, if they are real then that means those old stories are true - they have been messing with us! They ain't got no leader now? Then they're defenseless! Get 'em!" Particularly if Shampoo/Mousse report on the existence of the Shikimori eggs and the stockpile of imprisoned Chinese people in the Phoenix People's village, which would be just more rage-inciting.

Plus, if they are worried about what the Phoenix People will plan on doing to survive, "wipe them out before they can regroup and threaten you" is a bloody tale as old as humanity itself. Best defense is a good offense, and none of the Byankala characters we've met have shown any real understanding of "diplomacy". Plotting to massacre the Phoenix just on the suspicion they might try to conquer a lowland village and take its resources for themselves would be in character for many of them. The more reasonable villages would probably just build up their own strength and get ready to fight off an invasion while hoping the Phoenix will fly away and resettle somewhere else.

Besides, do the Phoenix People even really need Saffron to survive? I know they respect and adore him for doing so, but isn't it more symbolic than anything in this day and age?

Edit:: Like Kuhfeld said; all of the Byankala people save for the Jusenkyo Guide that we've met, including Kiima and Saffron (let's not forget that it was Kiimas's aggressiveness and lack of tact that caused the fight with the NWC in the first place, and Saffron openly gloated about devouring Ranma to fuel his transformation) and Pink & Link (the whole grudge thing got started because Pink liked to poison random strangers for kicks - Shampoo wasn't reasonable with the way that she just started beating the snot out of both of them, but Pink did start the whole mess), are vicious, spiteful, vindictive and highly aggressive jerkasses.
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:08 pm

Expansion to a mountain where the people already living there can't really survive the conditions without the leader they just lost. I find it more likely they will worry about the Phoenix getting desperate and resorting to stealing to survive before attempting to take what is theirs and nearly useless to anyone who can't fly.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Spokavriel wrote: Expansion to a mountain where the people already living there can't really survive the conditions without the leader they just lost. I find it more likely they will worry about the Phoenix getting desperate and resorting to stealing to survive before attempting to take what is theirs and nearly useless to anyone who can't fly.

You have an optimistic - to put it mildly - picture of human nature. People regularly die fighting over worthless territory. Anybody worried about attacks would want to command the high ground. Behold! Here is a perfectly fine mountain, already provided with an underground complex in which to live! All we have to do is get rid of those damned bird people!

Besides, in the Ranmaverse, nobody turns down a chance for a good fight.
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm not so sure I agree with that "Nobody" line. I find it allot more likely they would expand along the ground. If they did anything with the mountain it would be to ransack it not colonize it.

Its just a little too isolated for me to see the Musk or Joketsuzoku going for it. Now the 7 lucky gods with their air ship on the other hand. They might see advantages in such a location. They might even try to usurp the remaining phoenix and join the kingdoms because they have alternative methods to survive similar environments.

The thing is I don't really see the other valley residents making a move before news of exactly who Akane is Pregnant with gets back to them. Leaderless is not impotent after all and giving time to let a situation that cannot improve under present conditions worsen doesn't seem unlikely to me outside of say a Husband hunt. After all eligible guys have allot of other ways of being lost to the tribe too quickly.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby nodregah » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Not to forget, the Chinese have nukes. If they hear of a valley and a mountain full of people they cannot control, well the news would report the PRC is testing nuclear weapons in a backwater valley and on a mountain within their own borders.
"You will know your greatest enemy when you look in the mirror."
nodregah
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:50 am

Yeah the whole drawing too much attention aspect isn't one to forget about. Just because they have methods to alter and control minds too high profile a conflict cannot go well for them.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby DCG » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Wow.. i was semi interested in this idea, tho i would totaly dump it on ranma, That is unthill it turned into a emo fest. I know the cast of ranma is prone to bad reactions, but holy shit guys. This is going over bord like some bad soap opera.

Whats next is ranmachan going to die her hair black and go sit in a corner listing to linkin park while cutting herself?

At some point you gota stop and ask your self as a writer if your readers are going to want something that pisses them off or makes them feel bad the rest of the day. The answer is normaly No,
Fukufics Mod, Plot Hammer, And Muse poker.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Spokavriel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:40 pm

I kinda wanted the attempted abortion to be the lowest point. And have better relationships grow from that point. The whole crucible forging a stronger alloy principle.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Spokavriel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Thinking about a few things.

1) How does gaining the "High Ground" help you in situations where your enemies don't need ground to stand in advantage above you with their attacks in opposition? All it does is put you in a position with limited maneuverability and further distanced from options for resupply.

2) While the darkest ideas I want to contemplate on this have already been tossed about there hasn't been much reaction discussed for friends, rivals, or the community at large.

3) Does Akane learn about P-chan's curse before she freaks out enough about not knowing the child's parentage to attempt an abortion? If she does will she be more likely to blame herself or Ryouga for the situations involving him in her bed in cursed form? Would she blame him for the baby?

And
4) Where do you see Nodoka's reactions on this? Would she still support the cannon failed wedding not knowing who the father is? Would she consider Ranma unmanly because he obviously wasn't Man enough for Akane, proof being he is emphatic he never did that with her.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas