Crazy Ranma/DCU fusion/matchup

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Crazy Ranma/DCU fusion/matchup

Postby Vahn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:42 pm

So lately in terms of story telling I have found DCU to be superior to that of marvel so this would just be my own personal idea. It's crazy and probably make no sense but it won't leave me alone! >_<

So this is what I have, Ranma is actually a kryptonian, when Superman or Clark Kent was 18, another meteor shower hit the Earth again , Johnathan and Martha kent remark how it is so similar that brought clark to them. Over in Japan, Nodoka was stressing not being able give Genma a child when the ship of a small carrying Ranma crash on her lands. Genma return a year later from a training trip with Happosai to find he now has a son and assume it is his.

Now as for the whole strength part, I would suggest using the idea that as a child a Kryptonian is weaker and eventually get stronger as they age. Since Martial artist are power in their own right the baby shouldnt cause too much of a rucks. I think the neko ken incident will stunt Ranma power growth a bit, might have a bit of a mix match that show all the cat in the pit was burned via Ranma X-ray vision and Genma couldn't be more proud.

Now here's the kicker, he is not related tot he house El- In stead he would be of a different house, not a genius mind you but someone who believed Jor-el about the planet blowing up and had a small ship built for his son also.

We could also have it where because Ranma is training constantly he is expending the solar power he normally absorb on a daily basis there by not building up a reserve at all. Since he sleeps at night he not taking in any solar power and Genma getting him up at the crack of dawn ensure his solar energy continue to be expended. Once he get afflicted with the Jusenkyo curse that effectively put more of a dampening on his power since his girl side is human and thus not absorbing powers.

Well back to the potential story. I think the whole fiancee thing should play out,with him expending his powers to fight all the time he is not building up a true kryptonian charge. Also , We could have Akane buying a jewelry necklace that make's Ranma weak and this malletable, but since it a tiny piece doesn't have the visible effect of making Ranma sick like it would Superman. And because Cologne could be said to use magic along with all the magical stuff Ranma deals with he get hurts enough that no one thing he's a kryptonian, after all Superman is weak to magic.

So Herb and Saffron fight could have killed him. However I think having the big revealed would be during the Saffron match when he had to use more powers then he had and because he was rested enough over the two years mostly he build a big enough reserve that flare him out to Superman Computers indicating another Kryptonian.

Of course at this point in time in the DCU, this would be when Supergirl first returned and before the whole Crisis battle. The way I see this end up is a match up with Supergirl.

Many things can happen depending if you want Ranma to participate in DCU storyline arc or just want him to do a meet and greet with the cast of the DCU. But that's how I see it.

Whew.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: Crazy Ranma/DCU fusion/matchup

Postby Spokavriel » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:05 pm

I just can't see it. While I agree DC has allot more possibilities to make Ranma work in the environment you lost me as soon as you said Kryptonian. For the amount of training done it just doesn't work out at all. Don't forget that exposure to the yellow sun left Clark a rather average or even below average guy without his ancestry powerful enough to make diamonds with his bare hands and alter the flow of time.

Compare that to someone actually spending their whole life in an endurance trial. Ranma would have trouble doing anything and not destroying the solar system.
Spamville Character ProfileArchived Current Senshi of Ophelia (Uranus VII).
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:18 am

I have to agree with Spokavriel. Ranma as a Kryptonian just doesn't work, unless most of his opponents are metahumans of some variety as well, and the martial arts don't actually provide the super strength and toughness demonstrated by virtually the entire cast.

It might be possible if you scale down the powers more to Smallville scale, and have him spend something like a month in a coma after Saffron with a doctor who is a firm believer in the healing power of lots of sunlight, and play up the fact that he has been discharging the energy that would otherwise let him fly and give him super senses in the form of his Moko Takabishas. Emphasize that this is a tremendously less efficient usage of that energy than used through his adaptations.

Another option is that in some versions of his origin story, Superman didn't demonstrate any superpowers at all until he was a junior in high school, so Ranma's recent extremely rapid improvement in the martial arts was partly a manifestation of his powers. A problem you are going to run into either way is that his female form will be incredibly weaker than his male form, and he will tend to switch back if he ever flies above a couple thousand feet as water vapor starts to condense on him.

Still, a story like this where you have a character with the fighting skills of Batman and the physical attributes of the strongest character on the planet makes it nearly impossible to have believable enemies. This version of Ranma would be able to take down Doomsday without trouble because he wouldn't allow himself to be hit by the much slower monster, whereas Superman is a brawler not used to fighting things that can actually hurt him.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:14 am

Strength Vs Solar exposure. Callel wasn't exposed to this sun's light until after his craft crashed on the planet and the Kents witnessed that happening. That is part of why they ended up off the road. In that short time of exposure he had a sufficient strength boost to as a toddler still be able to lift the truck after the jack slipped.

Clark may have not had manifestations of "Super Powers" But he did have his strength and endurance long before.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Wyrd » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:17 pm

I did specify that there are different versions of his origin. In some versions, he wasn't appreciably stronger than normal as a kid, in others he was only a few times as strong, so no stronger than Ranma is depicted, not moving to being able to fly or any of his other powers such as laser vision until his late teens. The particular scene you are referencing is the movie continuity, which like most movies plays pretty fast and lose with the comic continuity.
Wyrd
Senshi Cadet

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Wyrd wrote:I did specify that there are different versions of his origin. In some versions, he wasn't appreciably stronger than normal as a kid, in others he was only a few times as strong, so no stronger than Ranma is depicted, not moving to being able to fly or any of his other powers such as laser vision until his late teens. The particular scene you are referencing is the movie continuity, which like most movies plays pretty fast and lose with the comic continuity.

DC plays pretty fast and loose with the comic continuity. You have to, to keep something going as long as Superman has been around. Over seventy years? Gotta ring a few changes on the story line.
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Spokavriel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Three origins that I saw in ink on the pages of DC comics had the Kents see the craft crash and the future Clark lifting something larger than himself. Leaving it ambiguous because it was different in each case. Along with the movie opening. I don't have access to all the restarts or even those starts any more but I think you would find that the majority have him having strength his whole life just better at concealing it than the movies depicted.
My Console Video Games
Spokavriel
Eternal Power Senshi

Postby Vahn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:17 pm

I like the Moko Takashiba being a form of solar discharge making sure he stays weaker. Also I was thinking of going with the Superman of the Animated Series version. If you watch that, that superman is incredibly scaled down to make his enemies more believable and to give him more of a challenge. If anyone watch the doomsday/superman animated movie, and even in the comic, Doomsday is not slow by any stretch of the imagination he's fast, like Amiguriken fast if need be, he punch the Flash in one of his story arc before.

Also a constant perverlant theme I noticed is that superman is completely weak to magic, so Ranma magical enemies would actually be able to hurt him. I do think it was explained in the Kingdom Come Series that if Superman does nothing for 10 odds years he would have absorbed enough sun power to be immune to kryptonite. With him constantly fighting that actually expend his solar battery energy and if he want to get a stronger charge he fly closer to the sun itself.

Like i say it's a mish mash of things but if you watch the animated series, there actually quite a few action fighting scene that is even anime worthy. Heck the wonder woman animated series showed lots of different fighting style as was the recent batman/superman movie. The one thing I would not do is make him related to Superman in any way but be kryptonian.
Vahn
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby toushin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:38 pm

You could always go with superman-prime approach. The unique nature with which ranma was transported to earth prevented his powers from manifesting, his body would still absorb the energy but wouldn’t be able to process it until it comes into contact with a specific form of energy. For superman-prime it was quantum energy. For Ranma it could be the magic of Jusenkyo, Herbs dragon energy even Saffron.

Why not use the concept from the smallville series for Ranma’s rivals. The meteors gave each of them superpowers this will allow them to keep up with Ranma.

If you want a form of solar discharge why not use Cir-El as a basis for ranma-chan. Jusenyo could mess with ranma’s kryptonean heritage, she has all of the powers of superman but since she was mostly human they’re weaker and she can’t fly. She also has a technique called Red Sunbursts blasts of red solar radiation (the very wavelength of sunlight that Superman loses his powers under) that strikes an enemy with intense heat and force.

You could always do homage to the fanfic avenging and use super-soldier from the Amalgam Universe.

Finally I have always liked tactile telekinesis because its such a versatile technique an hae always wondered what ranma could do with it.
toushin
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:45 pm

There's one excellent crossover, Through The Looking Glass, that has Tenchi and Superman sitting down together for a good talk; likewise Ryoko and Wonder Woman. (That happens after Washuu's done a lot of lecturing.)
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby genhoss2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:39 pm

the idea of ranma as a kryptonian not of the house of jar el was done, but i think it was a smallville cross not really sure. it was a decent sized fic can't remeber who wrote it but it had supergirl in it too with nabiki acting as a reporter or a loise lane replacement for ranma, though i could just be confusing several fics together.

the main problem with them though is that ranma winds up way too over powered way to fast, you need to remeber that ranma is skilled as a martail artist while clark kent in none of his incarnations really had any training in the school of butt kicking. so solar energy or not tanma would always have his skill to rely on unless you use kryptonite rather liberally through out the story.
genhoss2
Senshi Candidate

Return to Ideas