A Certain Arrogant Horse (Ranma / Index / Railgun)

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

A Certain Arrogant Horse (Ranma / Index / Railgun)

Postby Comartemis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:52 pm

I seem to be on a role with all these new plot bunnies recently. Too bad nobody seems to care, but maybe this particular combo will get someone's attention.

The timestamp for this particular fanfic is western Tokyo, several months after the defeat of Saffron and the failed wedding. Ranma, feeling fed up with the situation regarding himself and the fiancee brigade, has done the only thing a sane rational person would do in this situation and taken an extended training trip into the mountains on the western edge of the Tokyo district. What he finds when he gets out there, however, is not what he was expecting; instead of solitude, he finds a strange city tucked away in the hills.

What Ranma has stumbled on is the one city in Japan that is not controlled by the Japanese government; Academy City, a high-tech 30-years-ahead-of-its-time metropolis dedicated to the study of psychic powers, built on international territory, funded by governments and corporations the world over, and home to the events of the anime/manga/light novel series To Aru Majutsu no Index. With no particular destination in mind, Ranma decides this weirdly futuristic city is as good a place as any to get some training done. Unfortunately, local security doesn't agree with him; Academy City is extremely private, and without a permit nobody's allowed inside. Naturally, this doesn't bother Ranma too much; he jumps the security wall and vanishes into the city.

From here there's a huge number of ways the plot could go depending on where exactly in the combined Index/Railgun timeline that Ranma comes in, but the one I'm most interested in is the Sisters arc and the battle with Accelerator. Ideally Ranma will cross paths with Mikoto at some point and hit it off with her, though probably after pulling a Touma and getting a railgun in the backside or something. Psychic powers should be interesting for Ranma to deal with but I doubt he'll want to try developing his own once he hears about how exactly the Power Curriculum Program works. How exactly this all happens isn't tremendously important, what is important is that Ranma develop a close enough bond with Mikoto to want to stick his neck out for her.

When the battle with Accelerator comes around, I expect Ranma to hear something about the Level 6 Esper project and make some comment about how the scientists in this city are assholes, which then prompts Mikoto to elaborate on some of the other stuff she's heard or been directly involved in, which makes Ranma all the more certain that someone needs to do something about these people. Ultimately, Ranma fights Accelerator and nearly gets his ass handed to him, but ultimately manages to pull through. This, naturally, catches the attention of the scientists behind the Level 6 Esper project and Aleister Crowley, who takes great interest in this superhuman fighter who uses neither magic nor esper powers. Unfortunately for Crowley, with Accelerator dealt with there's nothing distracting Ranma from taking great interest in him and introducing a little chaos into Crowley's carefully-laid plans.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: A Certain Arrogant Horse (Ranma / Index / Railgun)

Postby BF110C4 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:46 pm

It's a good idea, I would also like to see Ranma teaching Kamijou Touma how to fight better, especially since he is going to be curious about the "Imagine Breaker" (by the way does it affects his transformation?). Also he could get to Mikoto while he is involved in a friendly way with Kurozuma Wataru another person who does not depent of magic or ESP to be a badass.
BF110C4
Senshi Candidate

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:36 pm

The Imagine Breaker will break even the most powerful of curses, at the cost of Touma's luck, just by touching the victim, regardless of Touma's will. Touma would likely suffer a lot if he broke Ranma's curse, both because Jyuusenkyo curses would have to be pretty powerful to be permanent and high class shape-shifting that can happen a lot, without feeding off the power of the victim in any noticeable way. Depending on how you have the Jyuusenkyo curse work, there could be issues though. For instance, if it is a 'true' change each time, rather than a false form imposed on the natural form, and Touma were to touch Ranma with his imagine breaker hand while Ranma is in female form, Ranma would become stuck as a real girl without the curse able to change her back (which could allow for an onna-Ranma story or a plot point while Ranma tries to find a way to turn back male, possibly getting his/her hands on some spring of drowned man water, then having Touma touch him while in male form with the Imagine Breaker. Either way, it should cure Ranma's curse, or at the very least, depending on your interpretation of things, prevent Ranma from changing while Touma's hand is touching him/her. I like the idea of an onna-Ranma fic of sorts, where Ranma was planning a short training trip, but due to Touma's imagine breaker, gets stuck female, and doesn't want to return to Nerima until she is male, or at least able to be male again. It could give motivation for Ranma to stick around in Academy city, particularly if Index's knowledge becomes the best hope of becoming a man again.

I really like your ideas, although stealing the defeat of accelerator from Touma is a little bit questionable, especially because I don't see how Ranma could do it. Without the imagine breaker, accelerator is basically indestructible, and just touching him allows him to tear you apart, so Ranma can't even use grappling moves against him, and none of Ranma's abilities would be able to get past his defenses, not even the HSH, even if he could get accelerator to make the heat required. Ranma would even have trouble against Railgun, although his speed and martial arts skills and incredible toughness would help a lot, and he'd still probably win if he realized what she was doing and she wasn't going for killing blows. I see Ranma being amused with Touma's bad luck, but not getting along so well with Index or Railgun. I hope you or someone else does make a Ranma/Railgun/Index fic.

I'd also like to note that ki might be considered a type of magic or psionic abilities. Either a magical discipline related to magical energies directly interacting with the life force/spirit or a type of primitive psionic ability that some could train in without the Academy City's systems, so Crowley could be aware to it, but perhaps not used to dealing with it, due to the rarity of ki users, and them being unlikely to be involved in secret magic-user groups or psionic research groups.
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:50 pm

How Ranma's curse reacts to depends on what you consider the source of the magic. If Ranma's curse is independent of it's source at Jusenkyo if it runs into Touma's Imagine Breaker then it will probably be neutralised permanently. If however it retains a connection to the magic inherent in the pools then Imagine Breaker will probably only have a temporary effect, much like Innocentius could be dispelled but its regenerated as long as the runes were intact.

Though if you really want to have Ranma beat Accelerator you might use the Mouko Takabisha, depending on how you have Ranma's Ki abilities work in the spectrum of magic and ESP abilities.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:32 pm

I really like your ideas, although stealing the defeat of accelerator from Touma is a little bit questionable, especially because I don't see how Ranma could do it. Without the imagine breaker, accelerator is basically indestructible, and just touching him allows him to tear you apart, so Ranma can't even use grappling moves against him, and none of Ranma's abilities would be able to get past his defenses, not even the HSH, even if he could get accelerator to make the heat required.

Actually I think the HSH is exactly what's needed to take down Accelerator. It's not a directed attack like a punch or a kick, it's more like an area-effect technique that Ranma triggers inside his AIM field defenses. Even if Accelerator can redirect the winds and use them against Ranma, the initial attack should be able to pick him up and chuck him a good distance through the air, and to my knowledge Accelerator can't fly. With that weak constitution of his, that one hit should be enough to take him down.

Ranma would even have trouble against Railgun, although his speed and martial arts skills and incredible toughness would help a lot, and he'd still probably win if he realized what she was doing and she wasn't going for killing blows. I see Ranma being amused with Touma's bad luck, but not getting along so well with Index or Railgun. I hope you or someone else does make a Ranma/Railgun/Index fic.

I can't see post-Saffron Ranma having a tremendous amount of trouble with Mikoto, but I can see it being a very interesting fight scene between two masters of their respective ability sets. Ranma and Mikoto are very similar in a lot of ways -- they're both tremendously competitive and have a lot of pride in their skills, just for starters -- and I can see them really hitting it off if given half a chance.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby BF110C4 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Acelerator would be hard to beat even by energy attacks, his skill allows him to block even UV Rays and is automatic enough so an ambush or surprises will not work so Ranma is going to need to really be careful with a guy that can reverse the flow of any attack.

On the other hand he has a little trick called Wind Control that was defeated by using The Sisters to disrupt air flow (or the HSH and the Yamasenken)

Knight of L-sama wrote:How Ranma's curse reacts to depends on what you consider the source of the magic. If Ranma's curse is independent of it's source at Jusenkyo if it runs into Touma's Imagine Breaker then it will probably be neutralised permanently. If however it retains a connection to the magic inherent in the pools then Imagine Breaker will probably only have a temporary effect, much like Innocentius could be dispelled but its regenerated as long as the runes were intact.

And I would vote for the Jusenkyo ability to be regenerative but needing a certain period to recover it's magical energy to change to the other form, so Ranma will either panic or feel very happy for a while until the other shoe drops.
BF110C4
Senshi Candidate

Postby windstorm » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Pretty good story idea. The Index series crossed with Ranma seems pretty promising just due to the more comedic and supernatural nature of each series.

Personally I always find the idea of Ranma getting the better of security personnel to be highly amusing. Ranma is strong and skilled enough that realistically there is very little way for police or security forces to capture and hold him, they might get lucky with something like a stun gun but after that there is very little they can do that is non lethal and even then he can probably escape afterwords. Ranma is held back by his moral code not to harm them so most likely he'll try and avoid the security or run away. This could be used for a few comedy relief scenes actually.

An interesting angle to consider might be Ranma's exposure to advanced technology and how he reacts to it. Since the Ranma anime/manga is from the late 80s and early 90s we don't really have any real basis for how Ranma is with high tech stuff and computers. I see a few possible takes; 1. Ranma is relatively ignorant of how to use the devices, he knows what a computer and cell phone is, but really cannot use one very well due to a combination of the training trip or simply not being able to afford one. 2. Ranma is about as good as the average person but still has a bit of surprise in dealing with the academy city level of tech. 3. He's actually relatively skilled with one (to what degree is you're choice), possibly due to learning better from experience and hands on activities. Ranma could also have potentially gone to a library or a computer lab in school without anyone noticing.

You can choose how Touma's Imagine Breaker would work on Ranma's curse. Personally I'd go with the temporary cure, either stopping right after Touma touches him or a relatively short time limit simply because I like the curse as part of Ranma's character and a story element. The curse would be useful for a few plot ideas with the Railgun cast.

A thought to consider on Ranma vs Accelerator. Accelerator's power to change vector force values might actually give Ranma a slight advantage. Accelerator's ability is partly automatic, however greater manipulation with it seems to require him to understand the nature and properties of the vector values he is changing. Ranma has two advantages here, first an element of surprise in that he's much stronger than an average human so in a first encounter scenario Accelerator might underestimate the power behind a physical attack. Second is that ki is a completely foreign force to Accelerator, the Mouko Toukabisha and Shi Shi Houkodan are basically emotionally charged bursts of ki energy which could lead to complications in trying to redirect or change the force of the attack (by the way we've never seen Accelerator trying to redirect a magic attack either). I think that the reason the two ki attacks might work in particular instead of say the Hiru Souten Ha is because they stay in a pure ki energy form where as Hiru Souten Ha uses ki as fuel and converts it to a different force namely wind.
What is the true purpose of life?

WASTING TIME!!
windstorm
Senshi Candidate

Postby Knight of L-sama » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:50 am

Regarding Ranma vs Security groups... are you talking about the ordinary cops, Judgement or Anti-Skill? Because Anti-skill is designed to cope when apprehending people with unusual abilities and Judgement are... highly variable even from the few we've seen. Uiharu is... completely useless in combat and better suited for information gathering (though her temperature maintaining ability could theoretically disrupt the Hiryu Shoten Ha), Mii is a decent hand to hand fighter but no where near Ranma's level and while her ability has tactical uses it's not much help when combat is joined and Kuroko is potentially very dangerous depending on where she sticks those needles.
If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million nights, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Frog » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:15 pm

Comartemis wrote:Actually I think the HSH is exactly what's needed to take down Accelerator. It's not a directed attack like a punch or a kick, it's more like an area-effect technique that Ranma triggers inside his AIM field defenses. Even if Accelerator can redirect the winds and use them against Ranma, the initial attack should be able to pick him up and chuck him a good distance through the air, and to my knowledge Accelerator can't fly. With that weak constitution of his, that one hit should be enough to take him down.

Too much plot armor. Don't see this happening at all. He can redirect the winds easily enough and the impact as well. Billion feet fall? No problem when you can redirect the force of impact! Or reduce the speed of your descent at will. And yes, Accelerator can fly. He consciously limits himself so that gravity will affect him. He can simply let go and float, and then redirect himself in another direction. Anything Ranma can throw at him would be immediately nullified so long as it has a magnitude and direction. And then all Accelerator needs is one touch, and Ranma's blood is flowing in the opposite direction. Can Accelerator catch Ranma? Yes, as he can simply redirect vector values to speed himself up to the point where no one can keep up with him.

Ki blasts? Concussive force. Might freak him out once, but completely worthless the second time. Besides, if it's moving towards him, all he has to do is slap it and it'll be moving somewhere else. Say, back towards Ranma at an even greater speed?

Honestly, only way Ranma could even come close is if a) you have him use magic or b) Touma helps. Otherwise, no go.

The premise is interesting, but this particular plot point just has no way of happening. At all.
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come
There are songs of hope too
I would happily sacrifice my life for this world.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:11 pm

Frog wrote:Too much plot armor. Don't see this happening at all. He can redirect the winds easily enough and the impact as well. Billion feet fall? No problem when you can redirect the force of impact! Or reduce the speed of your descent at will. And yes, Accelerator can fly. He consciously limits himself so that gravity will affect him. He can simply let go and float, and then redirect himself in another direction.

I'm pretty sure that rejecting gravity's hold on him will disconnect him from the Earth's rotation, which means that Accelerator's going to start moving straight west at some ludicrous speed the second he tries this.

I agree with the rest, though. If the HSH doesn't work out, there's nothing in Ranma's arsenal that can even make Accelerator sneeze. That is part of the point, though; the match-up appears to be completely hopeless to start with, just like it did when Ranma faced Herb/Saffron/name your bad guy of choice, and he pulled a victory out of his ass by being just that goddamn skilled, which makes him a lot like the AC psychics.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 pm

Frog wrote:And then all Accelerator needs is one touch, and Ranma's blood is flowing in the opposite direction.

Actually he needs direct contact with the bloodstream to pull that trick off. The reason it worked against one of the SISTERS was because she had an open wound that he stuck his finger in.

Frog wrote:Can Accelerator catch Ranma? Yes, as he can simply redirect vector values to speed himself up to the point where no one can keep up with him.

In a straight line maybe but Accelerator has never shown to possess reaction speeds that are anything other than normal human speed. While he could probably catch up with a sprinting Ranma in an urban environment a hard turn at the right moment would probably make him overshoot enough that Ranma could probably shake him.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Frog » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Comartemis wrote:I'm pretty sure that rejecting gravity's hold on him will disconnect him from the Earth's rotation, which means that Accelerator's going to start moving straight west at some ludicrous speed the second he tries this.

What's that? Sounds like direction and magnitude to me. No problem!

If the HSH doesn't work out, there's nothing in Ranma's arsenal that can even make Accelerator sneeze.

It won't even make him blink, unless a magical explenation is thrown in. Accelerator at this point in the story cannot counter magic. Later on he can.

That is part of the point, though; the match-up appears to be completely hopeless to start with, just like it did when Ranma faced Herb/Saffron/name your bad guy of choice, and he pulled a victory out of his ass by being just that goddamn skilled, which makes him a lot like the AC psychics.

The problem is that an Accelerator vs Ranma match isn't just about appearing hopeless. It IS hopeless. It's like pitting Ranma up against the DBZ cast. Completely different leagues. Hell, Accelerator and Biribiri are supposed to be in the same league and he completely outclasses her anyway. So long as you're playing by the rules of physics, Accelerator wins.

For Ranma to stand a chance, like I said before, either magic needs to come into the equation or Touma needs to help out. Otherwise, no go. At all.

Knight of L-sama wrote:Actually he needs direct contact with the bloodstream to pull that trick off. The reason it worked against one of the SISTERS was because she had an open wound that he stuck his finger in.

I forgot about that particular detail, but it's not very difficult at all to make Ranma bleed.

While he could probably catch up with a sprinting Ranma in an urban environment a hard turn at the right moment would probably make him overshoot enough that Ranma could probably shake him.

Probably, but I don't think a sharp right turn would be much of a challenge for psychic who controls magnitude and direction.
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come
There are songs of hope too
I would happily sacrifice my life for this world.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Knight of L-sama » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:23 am

Frog wrote:Probably, but I don't think a sharp right turn would be much of a challenge for psychic who controls magnitude and direction.

I was thinking more along the lines of by the time Accelerator realises that Ranma's turned off and comes back Ranma's gotten somewhere out of sight and he has to slow to search and that's one thing that Accelerator's powers can't help him do, at least not directly.
Knight of L-sama
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Screwball » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:01 pm

What's that? Sounds like direction and magnitude to me. No problem!

Technically, he'd be staying still. The Earth would be moving away from him; it wouldn't just be the rotation of Earth, it'd be Earth's orbit around the sun, the way the sun is dragging Earth around the centre of the galaxy and so on and so forth. The actual path our planet charts through space is pretty complex, all things considered. We know that psychics have limits; Mikoto certainly has them, and while Accelerator is far stronger, none of his feats come anywhere near affecting the motion of the planet Earth. If he were that much stronger, he wouldn't have needed to go through that absurd leveling up plan in the first place.

Basically, redirecting wind is impressive, but it's not on the same level as playing celestial billiards with planets.

I'd agree that Ranma probably isn't the best possible choice for a good opponent, though.
After careful study of Number One's biographic work My Ceaseless Quest to Conquer Earth and Destroy its Puny Inhabitants, we have come to the conclusion that the Ghast Empire may well be up to something rum.
Screwball
Asteroid Senshi

Postby kylone » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:11 am

Just rolling over a hypothetical Ranma/Accelerator fight in my head.
Probably the best way to handle it would be first encounter that Ranma pulls a cheap trick to get away: a 50-yen coin. :D I suspect that any attack against Accerator's ki directly will work (as long as pressure points aren't involved).
kylone
Initiate

Next

Return to Ideas