Sailor Moon: Reverse/Rebirth

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Sailor Moon: Reverse/Rebirth

Postby Comartemis » Sun May 23, 2010 2:21 pm

The history of Earth is not as you know it. Once, long ago, two moons decorated the night skies of Earth, and the children of those moons built great kingdoms on the surface of the planet. The children of the white moon, Luna, were called humans and built great cities and works of art in the lands they called their own, while the children of the black moon, Nemesis, were called demons and lived vicariously, following no rules they did not choose to. Contrary to what one might expect, neither race was truly good nor evil; the demons of Nemesis were a wild and rambunctious lot prone to mischief but they were no more evil than their human cousins. The two races coexisted peacefully for many generations, basking in the light of the stars and their twin moons.

Tragically, however, this peace was not to last. One fateful day, a minor noble of Luna came into possession of a mysterious silver crystal and gained tremendous magical powers. The crystal was a fragment of an entity known as Cosmos, a malevolent being of absolute order, and through the crystal Cosmos enslaved the noble and directed her actions like a puppet. Calling herself Serenity, the unwitting servant of Cosmos used the crystal’s power to conquer Luna overnight, before turning her attention to Nemesis and the demons of Earth.

The crystal’s power allowed Serenity to cast a spell over her fellow humans and she influenced the people of Earth to wage war against their demonic cousins while Serenity’s own armies did battle with the forces of Nemesis and her demonic counterpart, the ancient sage Wiseman. In a climactic battle to decide the fate of the two races, Wiseman did battle with Serenity, wielding his own Dark Crystal against Serenity’s Silver Imperium Crystal.

The battle ravaged both Luna and Nemesis leaving them lifeless shells of their former glory, while the humans of Earth devastated the dark kingdoms and drove their demonic cousins to the brink of extinction. When his own daughter and his mightiest warriors fell before Serenity’s legions, Wiseman ended the battle the only way he could. With the last of his strength, Wiseman linked the Dark Crystal to the heart of Nemesis, boosting his power enough to seal away Serenity and her followers and save the souls of his people, casting them forward into the future through the cycle of reincarnation. However the ravaged moon could not take this last act of abuse and broke apart. Pieces of Nemesis rained down on Earth and plunged the world into an ice age that nearly brought the human race to an end.

And so ended the age of the twin moons.

Thousands of years later, a young girl named Tsukino Usagi has a meeting with fate when she encounters a young two-tailed fox kit being harassed by a group of school children and chases them off. The fox is in fact Maleg, a young kitsune who served Wiseman as an attendant in the olden days, and when Usagi returns home from school that night, she finds Maleg waiting for her in her bedroom.

What follows is the stuff of dreams and nightmares as Maleg awakens Usagi’s second soul, the dormant spirit of a succubus slain in defense of Nemesis, and allows her to transform into that warrior to do battle with the forces of evil… if she wants to. Which she probably will, because her best friend is under attack by said forces of evil as they speak.

The rest, as they say, is history.

So what is this, exactly? This is what happens when I spend too much time on Gelbooru; I find pictures of (WARNING! THIS LINK IS NOT WORK-SAFE!) Usagi dressed up as a succubus and my imagination goes haywire. But more to the point, this is what happens when you flipflop the way order and chaos are treated in Sailor Moon and take the “Dark Silver Millennium” cliché to its logical conclusion while maintaining the heroics of Usagi and the other characters.

The “canon Senshi” (Ami, Rei, etc) are the reincarnations of powerful demon warriors from the Earth kingdoms while Usagi is the reincarnation of Wiseman’s daughter. Taking Beryl’s place, as if it weren’t obvious, are Serenity and the forces of the moon kingdom (which may include a cast of original characters as the Sailor Senshi), who seek to conquer Earth and subjugate the population. The battle this time isn’t between Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil, but between Chaotic Good and Lawful Evil.

Thoughts/opinions/flames, anyone?
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Re: Sailor Moon: Reverse/Rebirth

Postby frice2000 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Interesting idea. A Dark vision of 'good' and absolute order can be really entertaining and this has all the marks of being a story I'd be interested in reading.

While the Succubus Sailor Senshi thing can be done well (I don't quite know where and from whom though ;) ) I think Usagi as a Succubus isn't the best way to go. Maybe one of the other Senshi could be the resurrection of a powerful Succubus but Usagi herself would probably be better served being sone other type of demon as I don't think a sex spirit would that plausibly be the strongest member of the group as a front line fighter and leader. If your heart is set on her as a Succubus maybe she's more of the traditional General. Sure she can fight and does on occasion but perhaps she's a better organizer, tactician, and is good at raising moral (to give her something in common with cannon). It'd be interesting to see her have a pretty different personality or quite a few quirks. Maybe she's a military otaku since she has dreams of her former life as a soldier/fighter/leader? Perhaps shes really into politics? Maybe she's obsessed with joining the air force or being a civilian pilot since she has vivid dreams of flying? I really would like to see her personality changed from cannon with some recognizable facets even before her transformation. Usagi actually knowing her shit and being serious at the start is usually pretty interesting.

So her advisor is going to be a Kitsune from that I assume the traditional 'mystical' races of Earth were demons. We going to see any others? I mean we've already got a Western sex spirit at the least so it'll be interesting to see which races you'll be picking and choosing from other pantheons and myths. If one of them was a kick ass take no nonsense pixie (which I can somehow see as Rei) it'd be pretty damned funny.

If you don't find it too stereotypical maybe Usagi's mother is still Serenity and she got her demonic attributes from her father and chose his side in this conflict after being disowned from her possessed mother? Perhaps Wiseman and Serenity became lovers while working on a truce or agreement of some kind? Would be some nice drama with that little plot point.

I'm curious as to who exactly will be attacking them on a regular basis though and why. Since Serenity has access to a pretty damn powerful stone why would she be attacking Earth? Weakening the dimensional structure in order to teleport back in would make sense I suppose. Also who exactly is the cannon fodder doing the attacking? I wouldn't think forces that see themselves as good would gleefully sacrifice actual living assets and soldiers. Maybe a group of robots or constructs of some kind with a human Lieutenant? Either way I would be interested in what ideas you have for that bit.

Nice idea I'd love to see it written.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Sun May 23, 2010 8:54 pm

frice2000 wrote:While the Succubus Sailor Senshi thing can be done well (I don't quite know where and from whom though ;) )

They aren't all succubae (succubuses?), just Usagi. Since they aren't Senshi, the girls don't have distinct elemental powers so I thought I'd make them all unique by making them different types of demons or spirits (I'm thinking Makoto is some kind of Norse wolfgirl for instance). Usagi is a succubus partially because it fits her "I love everyone!" nature quite well (and Love - Morals/Inhibitions = Kinky sex for everyone!) and partially because I think it would be a great personal conflict for Usagi to have to deal with her other half's instincts and desires and reconcile them with her own morals and upbringing.

I think Usagi as a Succubus isn't the best way to go. Maybe one of the other Senshi could be the resurrection of a powerful Succubus but Usagi herself would probably be better served being sone other type of demon as I don't think a sex spirit would that plausibly be the strongest member of the group as a front line fighter and leader.

Morrigan Aensland would like to speak with you. :P

So her advisor is going to be a Kitsune from that I assume the traditional 'mystical' races of Earth were demons. We going to see any others? I mean we've already got a Western sex spirit at the least so it'll be interesting to see which races you'll be picking and choosing from other pantheons and myths. If one of them was a kick ass take no nonsense pixie (which I can somehow see as Rei) it'd be pretty damned funny.

Rei as a kitsune was an idea I had but we already have one of those. Ami strikes me as a Yuki-Onna, and Minako is probably a changeling. Makoto, as mentioned above, is most likely going to be a type of wolfgirl that inspired the legend of the werewolf.

I'm curious as to who exactly will be attacking them on a regular basis though and why. Since Serenity has access to a pretty damn powerful stone why would she be attacking Earth?

Ultimately she wants to take over the Earth again and use it as a base of operations to help her conquer the rest of the universe. Depending on how the story plays out, I might rewrite the backstory so that Wiseman destroys a good chunk of the SIC but not enough to free Serenity from Cosmos's control. That way we can still use the Rainbow Crystal arc with the Senshi searching for pieces of the Silver Crystal and Usagi and the girls trying to keep it away from them.

Also who exactly is the cannon fodder doing the attacking? I wouldn't think forces that see themselves as good would gleefully sacrifice actual living assets and soldiers. Maybe a group of robots or constructs of some kind with a human Lieutenant? Either way I would be interested in what ideas you have for that bit.

You might be surprised who and what Serenity would be willing to sacrifice "for the Greater Good". The new Senshi would be standing in for the Dark Generals and using crystal-based constructs as the new mooks.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:39 pm

Morrigan isn't exactly the example of what I would look for in a traditional succubus. I believe though I am slightly fuzzy on the details of the Darkstalkers universe that she is even considered a slight deviant among her own kind because she so enjoys combat. In traditional folklore they never really fought at all. Just drained men at night and had the ability to disappear and appear in the form they wanted to those they wanted to tempt into sin/drain. I mean of course you can use the whole 'other' and different type thing it's just always more unique to me when you read about a Succuubus that actually fits the folklore. I agree your take on her personality would fit with that sort of nature though. Her struggling with this new aspect of herself will be neat as you have it mentioned though.

Other then that ok I can see where you're going with it. Those will be some interesting species for then to be.

On a slightly off topic note if you want an interesting take on what I'm talking about for traditionalish Succubui in a contemporary setting take a look at the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead they're good reads if you like succubui and a look at demons and such.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Sun May 23, 2010 9:50 pm

There were a couple of ideas that popped into my head when I saw the pic I posted above. One was the succubus unit from the Disgaea series, which is a decently powerful spellcaster; one was Morrigan, as I've indicated, and originally I was wondering whether I could make this a Sailor Moon/Darkstalkers crossover with Usagi being distantly related to House Aensland through her biological parents before I settled on the current model (I still might do something like that as a crack fic some time in the future, but not something I'd take seriously). The last idea I had was succubus Ranma as she appears in One Half a Wing And A Prayer (NOT The Return, I want absolutely nothing to do with that series). All of those ideas feature the succubus as a fighter of one sort or another and that's what I'm going with.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby frice2000 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:04 pm

That works fine it's just not a traditional succubi folklore and I'm a sucker for traditional folklore and demonology in stories is all. What you have will still be interesting to read I just personally don't consider that kind of succubus a succubus but I'll still be really interested in reading a story with demons as the main characters anyway so no worries. Just remember that a Succubi should be seductresses first fighters second if you can toss in some attempts to seduce her enemies or charm them into not fighting when applicable I'd be more entertained by the story.

As to the fanfics you mentioned I've read them all and liked them all too hehe though i didn't like One Half Wings growing haremish connotations but what are you going to do...

I wouldn't make this a cross if I was you. Gives you another set of rules to worry about. Write your demonology however you want it since you're justifying it with they are the legends the survivors remembered altered and changed over time so it'll all work.
frice2000
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Ellen Kuhfeld » Mon May 24, 2010 8:09 am

Speedo Kamen, the Incubus?
Visit Big Washuu's Lab of Arcane Knowledge at http://washuu.net
Ellen Kuhfeld
Sailor Starlight

Postby Sky » Mon May 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I know you're not a big fan of it, but you may want to take some ideas from On A Clear Day You Can See Forever, for "alternate" versions of the canon senshi, and may also want to take a look at Sailor Moon: Dark Adventures for that as well. If you keep the political intrigue down, the story won't have the Epic Length problems that those two stories have.

You could make Usagi into a succubus if you modeled her after the succubus in Rosario + Vampire, and that series is lighthearted enough that you could draw some comparisons for other characters as well. (Rei or Makoto as Moka? Hmm...)
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sky
Senshi Cadet

Postby Shanami » Mon May 24, 2010 10:24 pm

I'd like to see this done. I do wonder if you'd go as far as to include all of the outers as well and if both sides were going to have a planetary imbuement scheme. Though, I suppose that's significantly beyond the scope of the Beryl arc as to be unimportant for the time being.

Actually, with the storyline you've somewhat outlined, I could see the Moon Kingdom just going for straight power infusion as a general rule while the Nemesis group going planetary to make more sense. After all, one would have more intrinsic order while the other would be more of the natural, laid back, chaotic angle.

If you were going with the demons and spirits angle, I could see a lot of fae creatures as making the lineup as they tend to have loose morals, be quite tricky and mischievous while not being evil. And, they often have been labeled as demonic mythologically.

I could easily see Michiru as some sort of Naiad and Haruka as a Sylph. Tux boy as an incubus would be quite amusing, but going for the more lighthearted approach I'd like to see him as a Satyr as I think it would be less out of character for a Satyr to use roses of some sort as a weapon than an incubus.

Hotaru/Setsuna would be a lot harder to handle I'd think.

I'd see Usagi more as a Lilica Felchenerow style demoness in that she's extremely friendly and extremely flighty. It wouldn't be a stretch to call her an immature succubus though to the best of my knowledge, Lilica's demonic classification is just a generic half-demon princess.

If you wind up writing this, I'd love to read it.
Senshi of Titania (Uranus III)
Shanami
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Tornado Ninja Fan » Tue May 25, 2010 5:28 am

Will she give her usual speeches while using her succubi powers to suck the life out of her opponents? Or use the "black lightning of pain" attack that so many monsters had? Could she summon minor youma to fight/distract the forces of cold order?

It will be interesting how she and others react to her rather demonic skills and her more positive messages. Most will probably think she is a liar and she would become a hero with very bad press.
Tornado Ninja Fan
Senshi Cadet

Return to Ideas