Here's a thought for a Naruto fic...

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Here's a thought for a Naruto fic...

Postby GenocideHeart » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:08 am

The basic premise: what if Naruto, during the 1-month hiatus between the Chuunin Exam preliminaries and the final matches, ran into Tsunade instead of Jiraiya, and suckered her into training him, probably by winning some outlandish bet in typical Naruto fashion?
Some considerations to be made:
-This Naruto will need some serious power in order to survive the Valley of the End, since he'd be lacking the Rasengan. Between Tsunade coaching him and the fox, however, pure power is something he certainly won't lack.
-He'll probably suck at basic medical jutsu, but will likely be able to pick up advanced ones really fast, which could give him a huge edge... he seems to stink at the basics, but drink up advanced jutsu like water.
-The fight with Neji would probably be horribly one-sided, as I'm willing to bet any medic-nin with enough power can probably free up his own tenketsu with relative ease.
-He might learn to summon slugs... or maybe something totally new. Who knows? In any case, Tsunade's main point is that she's not just very strong, but has obscene amounts of chakra, if the Genesis Rebirth is any indication. So Naruto is, ironically enough, a better fit to her mold than Jiraiya.
-Would that cause Jiraiya to become Hokage, since Tsunade would be the one around, would likely refuse, and thus would be sent to pick up her reluctant teammate?
Practically everything from the Chuunin Exams onward would radically change if Tsunade replaced Jiraiya. The above are just some of teh numerous things that could change.
I myself want to use this idea in my fic 'Twisted Fates', but it's mostly a secondary plot. It could do well as a stand-alone idea as well, which is why I put it up here for all to see. Feel free to pick the ball up and run, after all, chances are my version will be different from yours...
"When the Planessss burnnnn and all life is torchesss, then Ignusss ssshall at lassst... be at peace..."
--Ignus, Planescape: Torment
"Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe."
--Vhailor, Planescape: Torment
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:26 am

While sounding good in theory, there is one huge problem with it. Naruto would not soke up the advanced medical skills easily.
All the advanced jutsu that he has just use a huge amound of chakra. Medical Jutsu on the other hand rely heavily on control, even the most powerful of the jutsu would require great control. Naruto could use the Kage bushin so easily because the reason its so forbidden is that it requires so much chakra, not the difficulty of the technique it self. If Naruto were to get Medical training he would need a INCREDBLY intense control training regime.
Its not a bad Idea, however I dont think that Naruto could master the level of control and then still learn the techniques in a month to have a chance of using them on Neji.
However the idea of Jiraiya becoming Hokage would be pretty funny. Personally however I do think that Tsunade makes the better Hokage as Jiraiya is more of a battle shinobi rather than a supreme commander.
It could be an interesting read if done correctly. However if care is not taken the entire thing could degenerate into the one of the countless peices of fecial matter that float to the surface at ff.net.
However if you really want Tsunade to train Naruto in the month before the exams there is an idea to get him a lot of chakra control. Tsunade is the greatest Medic-nin on the continent, perhaps she has some kind of technquie to seal part of Naruto's chakra away for a while. Remember that the reason Sakura had such great Chakra control was because her reserves were so small, consequently the reason Naruto has so bad control is that he had huge reserves for his age. If Tsunade could somehow reduce them for say a week to even half of what they are he would have a much easier time training for the precise chakra control needed for medical jutsu.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby GenocideHeart » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:56 am

While you have a point about control, you must remember one thing: Naruto does lack control, leading him to mesh chakra incorrectly and waste most of it... however, he has chakra to waste in spades, even without Kyuubi factoring in.
Your idea has value, though. I'd figure the first thing he'd learn is control, which probably means the first thing he'll pick up is how to supercharge his punch with Chakra like Sakura does in the timeskip.
Ironically enough, that would also mean he could probably learn the Chidori later on as well, since it basically amasses a monstrous amount of chakra in the hand through strict chakra control. Hmm... I could see Naruto going an entirely different route - while Sasuke needs the Sharingan to avoid a counter when using Chidori, Naruto could just disregard danger, relying on the fox and some newfound medical skills to patch himself up after using it.
Another possibility is him modifying it so that it's basically a ball-lightning attack - create it just long enough to strike from close range, making it very hard to predict.
Yes, I admit the idea of Naruto using a Chidori amuses me. Just imagine the Valley fight, and Sasuke going "OMGPWNED" at having his own attack used on him - with about three times the amount of chakra he normally uses in it. Heh.
I must also correct you about Naruto. The reasons why he lacks control are two. One, the Yondaime's seal does give him access to Kyuubi, but it also reduces his control, as it tampers with his chakra coils. Jiraiya basically explains it.
Two, he didn't have formal training. Remember, everybody but Iruka hated his guts, and Iruka, for all his well-meaning, was only one person, abd busy teaching to other classes to boot. So Naruto is mostly self taught, which obviously leaves holes the size of Alabama in his training and knowledge...
"When the Planessss burnnnn and all life is torchesss, then Ignusss ssshall at lassst... be at peace..."
"Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe."
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:02 am

Yeah, Naruto has Chakra to burn, however when talking about the medical techniques I was under the impression that it did not matter how much chakra you put in them, you needed a shit load of control.
However I do believe that with the right training Naruto could have at least good Chakra control, if not near perfect that somebody like Tsunade would have.
Refering to Naruto using what is essentially the Chidori I think that he would try to overcome the weakness of the technique (that to be effective you have to be moving at such a speed that spotting and dodging your opponents attack is impossible). While he could rely on the Fox I dont think he should, or would rely on that.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby GenocideHeart » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:18 am

Mitchell wrote:Refering to Naruto using what is essentially the Chidori I think that he would try to overcome the weakness of the technique (that to be effective you have to be moving at such a speed that spotting and dodging your opponents attack is impossible). While he could rely on the Fox I dont think he should, or would rely on that.

One way to overcome the weakness is to figure out how to perform a seal-less, temporary version of it (IE, it only lasts a few seconds), and using it at close range as a surprise attack instead of charging. Basically, the same way he used the Rasengan on Kabuto - sucker the enemy into getting in range and having a clone or something tie them down while you stab them.
Of course, that wouldn't be the Chidori per se, but the basic concept behind it can easily be meshed with Tsunade's chakra enhanced punches to make a completely new jutsu.
And this will also take care of what I feel is the most irritating shortcoming of Naruto (the series) as it is now - that Team 7 is just turning into the Sannin MkII. With an unique jutsu derived from two old ones, Naruto would finally have an uniqueness all his own, unrelated to the fox. And personally, I think he could figure such a technique out... he's, after all, the king of improvising.
For the one-month period, I expect Tsunade to mostly teach him the same stuff Jiraiya did - how to control the Kyuubi chakra, control in general, how to summon, and removing the 5 part seal Oro put on him.
Of course, I'm not sure if she'd throw him off a cliff to get him to summon, but if she gets drunk and irritated enough, she may well do it.
After that period, though, his training will definitely change. That's about as far as I can see the Jiraiya training and the Tsunade one being similar.
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby crystlshake » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Hm... Jirya as Hokage. It would be pretty funny I think. He'd probably try to pass some new dress codes or something. With him sneaking off on the job to the women's bath they'd probably almost have to move his office there or overlooking to get any work done. Course with the trouble hed get himself into doing it hed probably be in a near constant bandaged state. :lol:
Perhaps how he wins is thrue a drinking contest. Could use that to segue into training by his first lessons being about using chakra to burn off a hangover. Make it so it requires control, too much chakra to fast amplifies the pain/effect of the alchohol. Could make for some interesting scenes. After the explaination I could see him jumping in and pushing a bunch thrue. Then becomeing violently ill 3 seconds later and feeling like death warmed over. With Tsunade you also have an opportunity to give Naruto a mother figure. I can just imagine how she would react to learning of his harem no jutsu. Maybe she can lock him in female form with a medical jutsu and he has to use the unlock on himself. Two fold learning experience-respect for women and control to unlock himself (perhaps works on disabling other jutsu as well). Definitely have motivation and pay absolute attention to her instructions if it lasts more than an hour. After that experience he may look at Jirya the same as Tsunade does. Which would work great in tandem with any changes they see to Konaha when they return. After they get back you could always shift Tsunade into the Hokage position as well.
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:20 pm

If Naruto is trained by Tsunade, then would Sakura be trained by Jiraiya? ....
I almost never read naruto fan fics but if that is well done it might be worth a read...
Storm trooper effect works against good guys as well.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
A blind Paladin can only hear half truths
A deaf Paladin can only see half truths
Either way the Paladin is a berserker
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:57 pm

Personally in this situation I think that Sakura would either stay as Kakashi's student or be transfered over to Asuma's team or somthing. I cant really see her being trained with Jiraiya.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:02 pm

Mitchell wrote:Personally in this situation I think that Sakura would either stay as Kakashi's student or be transfered over to Asuma's team or somthing. I cant really see her being trained with Jiraiya.

Remember at first she doubted Naruto when he ranted about Jiraiya... she would likely get herself honor bound to be trained under him easily if he desired to.
No matter how strong you are, there is always a teenager able to beat you without breaking a sweat.
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:33 pm

What I meant was that I did not really see Sakura or Jiraiya really having what each other needs as either studnet or teacher. Jiraiya's techniques all require a fairly large amount of Chakra, and while Sakura has great control she lacks the deep pool of power that Naruto has. And of course Sakura would be even more angry at her teacher sneaking of for his 'research'. I dont think that Jiraiya would look for her as a student. Remember that GenocideHeart really is irritated about Team seven becoming Sannnin MKII, if Sakura were to be trained by another jounin it would be much more interesting.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby WG_Writer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:58 pm

Mitchell wrote:What I meant was that I did not really see Sakura or Jiraiya really having what each other needs as either studnet or teacher. Jiraiya's techniques all require a fairly large amount of Chakra, and while Sakura has great control she lacks the deep pool of power that Naruto has. And of course Sakura would be even more angry at her teacher sneaking of for his 'research'. I dont think that Jiraiya would look for her as a student. Remember that GenocideHeart really is irritated about Team seven becoming Sannnin MKII, if Sakura were to be trained by another jounin it would be much more interesting.

Ahh makes sense... I vote for Lee-Sensei
WG_Writer
Moon Senshi

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:06 pm

Yeah, Sakura should be trained by Kurenai. Remember, initially Sakura was supposed to be the genjutsu type.
A Naruto trained by Tsunade _is_ an interesting concept. I think unlike Jiraiya who takes a backseat approach to Naruto's training, trying to let him figure everything out for himself after giving him hints, Tsunade would take a more hands on approach. I think she'd be likely to do something with the seal when she discovers that the Kyuubi chakra gives him that aging regeneration stuff and messes up his chakra control.
Perhaps it could go something like this, Tsunade is trying to figure out a way to fix Naruto's chakra control, which is messed up by the fox's chakra, which isn't quite compatible with Naruto's body, and thus causes damage to it, although it makes up for it seemingly by causing regeneration faster than it causes damage. Tsunade gets Naruto telling stories and he reveals the sexy no jutsu to her, which makes Tsunade angry that he's being so disrespectful of girls, so she plans to do that thing crystlshake came up with of locking him in a female form and he has to learn a medical ninjutsu to counter it, but before she does it, she realizes that the Kyuubi is a female demon (no gender noted in cannon, so it could work) and that changing Naruto into a girl for real might actually fix the chakra incompatiblities... :lol:
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dragon Man » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:44 pm

Nekomata-sensei wrote:Yeah, Sakura should be trained by Kurenai. Remember, initially Sakura was supposed to be the genjutsu type.
A Naruto trained by Tsunade _is_ an interesting concept. I think unlike Jiraiya who takes a backseat approach to Naruto's training, trying to let him figure everything out for himself after giving him hints, Tsunade would take a more hands on approach. I think she'd be likely to do something with the seal when she discovers that the Kyuubi chakra gives him that aging regeneration stuff and messes up his chakra control.
Perhaps it could go something like this, Tsunade is trying to figure out a way to fix Naruto's chakra control, which is messed up by the fox's chakra, which isn't quite compatible with Naruto's body, and thus causes damage to it, although it makes up for it seemingly by causing regeneration faster than it causes damage. Tsunade gets Naruto telling stories and he reveals the sexy no jutsu to her, which makes Tsunade angry that he's being so disrespectful of girls, so she plans to do that thing crystlshake came up with of locking him in a female form and he has to learn a medical ninjutsu to counter it, but before she does it, she realizes that the Kyuubi is a female demon (no gender noted in cannon, so it could work) and that changing Naruto into a girl for real might actually fix the chakra incompatiblities... :lol:

Oh, I like that last part! I wonder if Kyuubi would feel lest bloodthirsty without all the testosterone and other male hormones roaming around Naruto's body? Maybe enough that she could actually teach him some tricks, talk to him in his head, or any of the other things Kyuubi does in 'Friendly Kyuubi' fics. We know from Yamato's past that Orochimaru has knowlege of DNA, so I'm sure Tsunade does as well. So I can very well see her using a medical jutsu to trick Naruto's body into turning all Y-chromosomes into X-chromosomes!
Speak quietly, pilot a big mech.
No matter how many times you rebuild, Tokyo keeps getting destroyed in a massive fireball.
When in China, listen to your tour guide.
"Stay with the Master Chief - he'll know what to do." - Sgt Johnson, Halo 2.
Dragon Man
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dark Magic » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:50 pm

a couple of things
I think Tsunade if she lost a bet would probably just, at least try to push it onto Shizune. Or at least have Shizune do most of the basic stuff. I don't really see Tsunade taking a hands on approach especially at the beginning, because she was kinda forced into, and as she grew to like Naruto would take more and more interest into his training.
And you would have to get rid of the whole sannin fight later on because orochimaru would have no reason to try and find Jiraiya, while he originally tried to find Tsunade to heal his hands that the Third Hokage sealed.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dragon Man » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:58 pm

Dark Magic wrote:I think Tsunade if she lost a bet would probably just, at least try to push it onto Shizune. Or at least have Shizune do most of the basic stuff. I don't really see Tsunade taking a hands on approach especially at the beginning, because she was kinda forced into, and as she grew to like Naruto would take more and more interest into his training.
And you would have to get rid of the whole sannin fight later on because orochimaru would have no reason to try and find Jiraiya, while he originally tried to find Tsunade to heal his hands that the Third Hokage sealed.

Well, Tsunade did train Sakura personally when Sakura asked to be her apprentice even though she was busy being Hokage, so I think she would probably show Naruto a jutsu, then have Shizune assist him in learning it. So she wouldn't leave Naruto on his own, and I wouldn't either considering if he is testing medical jutsu on himself there's no telling what could go wrong, and if she does become Hokage she might be forced to spend less time training him, plus it would be stupid to bug the Hokage for training tips when her capable assitant is there and willing to help so Tsunade can keep on doing her job.
On the issue of the Sannin fight... maybe after the exams are over Tsunade knew Orochimaru would come to try to force her to heal his arms and so she took Naruto and disappeared, only to find Jiraiya. Orochimaru tracks them down and there's the fight! Only Jiraiya would be in better shape, and maybe Tsunade would have overcome her fear of blood earlier thanks to Naruto.
Speak quietly, pilot a big mech.
No matter how many times you rebuild, Tokyo keeps getting destroyed in a massive fireball.
When in China, listen to your tour guide.
"Stay with the Master Chief - he'll know what to do." - Sgt Johnson, Halo 2.
Dragon Man
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas