Ranma/Star Wars X-Wing cross

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Postby Nekomata-sensei » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:39 pm

bissek wrote:As I understand it, the Ranmaverse states that anyone can learn to use ki if they try hard enough ('Hard enough' being a relative term. What Ranma considers tough training others would consider attempted homicide or suicide. It could take years to reach a level where you can do anything useful with it.), while Jedi abilities are a have or have-not thing. How would this contradiction affect the relation between Ranma and the force-talented pilots (Corran Horn, Tyria Sarkin, Luke Skywalker)? If you want to have Ranma tested for Jedi skills, the tests shown in the Jedi Academy trilogy are much more intelligent than the ones in the movies. One was a device that if you touch an attached sensor pad to the person would read their aura (Jedis have more active auras than normal people), and the other was a mental manipulation similar to a knee-jerk test. Psychically touching one mental node in every person would cause a Jedi to instinctively push out telekinetically.

Well, you could differentiate ki abilities from the use of the force. Humans of Ranma's world could perhaps have the potential to use their personal bio energy in certain ways with proper training, but Ranma can use both ki, and the force. Ranma shows signs in the manga of being psychically gifted, perhaps psychic powers in Ranma's world are the equivalent of the force elsewhere, it certainly fits more than ki/chi abilities. Psychic abilities are more closely accociated with visions, precognative reactions, telekinesis, electrokinesis, mental suggestion, etc.
Perhaps it's Ranma's gift in the force that lead him into all sorts of crazy encounters in the first place? Maybe the force guided him so that he could solve all sorts of problems with his strength and good will? The force wills it!
"Health, Learning & Virtue will ensure your happiness; they will give you a quiet conscience, private esteem & public honor." Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
Nekomata-sensei
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Light02 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:58 pm

what is with people wanting Ranma to be a Jedi that gives him an instant god mode I don't want that...no he's force blind as Wes and Wedge.
Light, The New Avatar of Chaos
Light02
Asteroid Senshi

Postby bissek » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:35 pm

Well, if Ranma's chi abilities aren't simply a Jedi analogue, then he's going to confuse the h*ll out of Luke when the last practicing Jedi Knight finds out about him. Ranma's already got the equivalent of the Jedi physical enhancements (strength, speed, and sensory to a more limited extent) as a result of his training, though he doesn't have the telepathic or telekinetic abilities. On the other hand, the Umisenken, Yamasenken and Hiryu Shoten Ha are all tricks which the Jedi either never had or had lost by the Clone Wars. Since not all Jedi are skilled in all Jedi arts (For example, Corran Horn of Rogue Squadron is a natural at mind control and illusions, but is terrible at telekinesis, barely able to nudge a light object that is less than a foot away from him), anyone who sees some of the tricks Ranma can pull off will assume that Ranma is Jedi, whether he is or not.
Using Jedi abilities to enhance his skills, Luke was able to fight Xizor's aide/bodyguard android Guri hand-to-hand and win (Shadows of the Empire), despite her being designed as a high end assasin and Luke not having been trained in martial arts beyond Alliance basic training and whatever Yoda taught him in the limited time Luke was at Dagobah. It would be interesting to see how Luke would fare against Ranma, who has limited Jedi-like abilities and considerably more training. In a fair fight, it might be a tough match. In a no-holds-barred fight, Ranma would have a clear advantage - he knows WAY more dirty tricks than Luke does.
An interesting clash of personalities would be Ranma and Mara Jade. Unfortunately, at the time of the Wraith Squadron story arc, the most well known Emperor's Hand was working as a spaceport mechanic on a backwater planet called Varonat under the alias of Celina Marniss and wouldn't have anything to do with the New Republic for over a year. By the time of the Jedi Academy/I, Jedi arcs, Mara had a well-deserved reputation in the smuggler communities of the galaxy as one not to be messed with under any circumstances, even among those who didn't know about her old job. The sight of Mara and Ranma-chan fighting together would probably make those smugglers think "She's got a sister. Who's just as deadly as the original. Oh, SH*T!"
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Light02 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:47 am

I better spill it out again...Ranma is gonna be thrown into the SW universe via a wish granted by Belldandy, Chi and The Force are two different things, Luke can easily handle Ranma even with all the chi enhancements he's doing, I'm sorry if I sound like I'm weaking Ranma I'm trying to avoid doing a God Ranma fic.
Light02
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:55 am

However your trying to avoid a God-Ranma fic, maybe you could at least make Ranma be able to defeat the average jedi, and only the really powerful ones like Luke and Kyp can easily defeat Ranma? Make it basiclly even with Ranma and the average jedi. This way you dont make Ranma Godlike however you avoid de-powering him enough. or something.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Light02 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:09 am

Mitchell wrote:However your trying to avoid a God-Ranma fic, maybe you could at least make Ranma be able to defeat the average jedi, and only the really powerful ones like Luke and Kyp can easily defeat Ranma? Make it basiclly even with Ranma and the average jedi. This way you dont make Ranma Godlike however you avoid de-powering him enough. or something.

why Ranma can't beat a Jedi is simple, they are all freaking Pre-cogs they can tell what the next move anyone is gonna make. though at first they would be a bit thorwn off at how many choices he thorws out (like the scene where Coran fought that guy in "I Jedi" decribed there Pre-cog pretty well).
Light02
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sauron of Mordor » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:04 am

Light02 wrote:why Ranma can't beat a Jedi is simple, they are all freaking Pre-cogs they can tell what the next move anyone is gonna make. though at first they would be a bit thorwn off at how many choices he thorws out (like the scene where Coran fought that guy in "I Jedi" decribed there Pre-cog pretty well).

They are all "freaking pre-cogs", but it is not unheard for non Force sensitives to kill Jedi. Ignoring the Vong and their null Force presence, we have the Mandalorians (very well known Jedi killers), General Grievous and droids (for example, Xizor's droid Guri almost killed our friend), among a great many others. Impossible you say? Hardly. Ranma Saotome (particularly end of the manga Ranma) has enough abilities to pose a credible threat even against the likes of Mace Windu and early NJO Luke Skywalker.
Sauron of Mordor
Senshi Candidate

Postby Mitchell » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:04 am

I agree with Sauron of morder, while it is credible that a Jedi prepared could defeat Ranma because of their pre-cog, could a jedi not already drawing on the force to force spead really defeat Ranma. While it is not the best example the line from Rock Lee to Sasuke in Naruto seems to fit. Even if you can see where the strike is going to hit, if your body cannot move fast enough it means didly swat. Ranma can throw three hundred punches in about 5 seconds. A jedi drawing heavily on the force for speed could probably match or exceed that, however you have ot factor in that its probably easier for Ranma to move at that speed than the Jedi.
A jedi using telekekis could defeat him, but in sheer physical ability I swould go with Ranma over most Jedi.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Sauron of Mordor » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:24 am

Mitchell wrote:I agree with Sauron of morder, while it is credible that a Jedi prepared could defeat Ranma because of their pre-cog, could a jedi not already drawing on the force to force spead really defeat Ranma.

Force speed comes in two forms, the standard slightly superhuman speed boost (devastating when coupled with combat precognition) and the "Force sprint" seen in Phantom Menace, that seems to be esentially useless in combat (excluding high end Force users like Palpatine Reborn and Darkside Luke in their final battle of Dark Empire).
Ranma can throw three hundred punches in about 5 seconds. A jedi drawing heavily on the force for speed could probably match or exceed that, however you have ot factor in that its probably easier for Ranma to move at that speed than the Jedi.

I am not sure if those numbers for the Amaguriken are accurate, but General Grievous, in the novelization (where he happens to be a tad bit more badass than in the actual movie), was attacking Kenobi twenty times a second when wielding his four lightsabers. Kenobi was considered to be the ultimate master of Soresu or Form III, the defensive lightsaber style, yet Grievous' attack was still enough to overwhelm his defenses.
Of course, attacking a lightsaber wielding foe is quite a bit more risky than facing ol' slow Ryoga (or even a katana wielding Kuno), but I would say that with Amaguriken he should be able to do it (particularly if he begins using one lightsaber or lightsaber-resistant weapon of his own). If he eventually uses the traditional Jedi styles, Ataru (particularly Yoda's extra-jumpy mod) would be his form of choice.
A jedi using telekekis could defeat him, but in sheer physical ability I swould go with Ranma over most Jedi.

Getting a telekinetic grip in a fast moving living target can be exceedingly hard (for example, we have Grievous in Clone Wars when facing Ki-Adi-Mundi and Fett in Attack of the Clones, where he was able to stalemate Kenobi for some time).
Sauron of Mordor
Senshi Candidate

Another thread on Ranma vrs Jedi

Postby pspinler » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:55 pm

In the fanfiction.net Ranma forums, there's a generic "Ranma Vrs" thread, into which I threw a "Ranma vrs Jedi" post. It's on this page:
http://www.fanfiction.net/fr/698953/1726/137862/3/
about 5 posts down.
Note that I deliberately took one side to provoke discussion, but it's got some interesting replies.
-- Pat
pspinler
Senshi Cadet

Postby Akhorahil » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:37 pm

uhm i do not know how it for a Jedi works ... but the Umi and Yama sen ken would be damn deadly even ( or especially) against a Jedi (try blocking a blade of nothing with a Lightsabre (( a Sword of nothing Physical but Light)) and the Soul of Ice would also be damn usefull against a couple of mind tricks ....
there are also some things to consider ... a Jedi is a Weapon user ...
just my 2 cents
ps: Ranma is by all means no God, but e beat one, now your turn ^^
There are three rules to Endings !
first: good always wins !
second: evil always returns !
third: the first one is not alway true ....
Akhorahil
Senshi Candidate

Postby Mitchell » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Saffron is not a god, despite what fannon suggests. However While the Jedi could use pre-cog to predict his moves, Ranma is danm fast, and if he really wanted to I bet he could kill a jedi in a straight fight. The Kijin Raishin Dan(sp?) would be very hard to block for a jedi, or even just Kuno's sword technique. Its hard to block air pressure.
However the comment on Telekenisis having trouble getting a fast moving target, wide spread telekeniis would be hard to get around (think force push from the Jedi Knight Video game).
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Pale Wolf » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:39 pm

there are also some things to consider ... a Jedi is a Weapon user ...

Yes... And said weapon, the Force, is utterly inherent to them. Your point?
Unless you're seriously trying to make that pathetic 'weapon-users are weak' argument?
ps: Ranma is by all means no God, but e beat one

Must... kill... encroaching hordes of fanon...
There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper application of immense levels of firepower.

- Finally promoted to Spammaster Indeterminate Rank as of June 18, by Stratagemini

<Stratagemini> My Titanium Anus Armour will repel all challengers!

Would you believe this is one of the more tame bits of dirt I've got for him?
Pale Wolf
Fukufics Staffer

Postby bissek » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:56 pm

Or you can just use telekinesis to bind your opponent's foot to the ground. Just a fleeting grip in midstep would be enough to make them trip. That would neutralize a lot of Ranma's tricks, though it wouldn't be as effective against Ryoga, who relies on toughness more than agility.
The scene in "I, Jedi" with Corran against Tycho was NOT precog. It was telepathy. Corran was looking into Tycho's mind to figure out what he was planning to do next (doing this at a range of several clicks while flying and people are shooting at you must be tough). Tycho's mind in combat mode apparently is a complicated diagram describing every single action he believes his enemy could take at the current moment and what the appropriate counter for that move would be - a diagram that is updated in near real time. Corran was able to outfly Tycho by finding an option that Tycho hadn't considered and used it to take the offensive before he could recalculate. The tricky part of this is in concentrating on your opponents thoughts and your own actions without slowing down. Not every one has the skill in mind-reading, fighting, or multitasking to try this.
The appropriate counter to this technique is to improvise something on the spot so that your Jedi opponent doesn't have time to read you. It also doesn't work on droids, as the only Jedi who could read a droid was the son of Emperor's Hand Roganda, and he could only do it if he knew the droid's exact schematics.
Again, my point isn't 'will Ranma be a Jedi' but 'will non-Jedi THINK he is a Jedi'. He's got enough chi-related tricks and enhancements to impersonate one (or be mistaken for one) so long as he doesn't run into anybody who has made an in-depth study of their abilities.
In a true battle (not a spar or arranged duel) against a Jedi, true advantage goes to whoever defines the terms. As described in the Forgotten Realms novels, it's easy to kill a wizard if you're going after him. It's a lot harder if he's coming after YOU.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Mitchell » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:10 pm

I agree with you. With Ranma's abilities a lot of people will think him a Jedi, just one whose abilities all tie in to his phycical power.
In I, Jedi Conan introduced an interesting point. When he first went to the jedi accademy he had trouble touching the force itself. I forget the qoute and cant find the book but he was talking about that he had a resourwar of force in him and he could use this to do some stuff, but others required reaching out to the force itself.
I remembered being quite interested in this as it sounded much like a ki-reserve. You have decided that Ranma is not force sensitive, and thats cool, however I do believe that Ranma, when he meets Jedi, either Luke or later other force sensitives, will try and use his ki/chi or whaterver to find some way to
either
A)block the telepathy of a jedi, though I have no idea how he would do this, if he could it would be much harder for a Jedi to defeat him
B)FInd a way to disrupt the telekentics.
As you said before even a light brush with Telekensis would make the fight much harder for Ranma.
Mitchell
Chibi Sailor Senshi

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas