Could this scenario be pulled off?

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Could this scenario be pulled off?

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:29 pm

I've been giving some thought to the sequel I have planned got my "Another Rainy Day in Nerima" (rather presumptuous, I know, seeing as how I've still got a dozen or so chapters left for that one), and this peculiar scenario for it came to mind. I'm not exactly sure whether or not it could actually work, so I thought I'd nail it up for people to pick over.

The original (and still valid) base scenario for the story is that, after the events of ARDiN, Ranma has decided that he no longer wants the Tendo arrangement- he still doesn't have a clue which girl he wants to marry, but he's no longer fixated on Akane. As a result, he begins taking steps to sever his ties to the Tendos and to get to know his other fiancees better. However, then I began to think about something, due to inspiration from varying sources, including Spokavriel.

That something was Kasumi Tendo: now, while I don't like the other members of the Tendo family all that much, I don't have that problem with Kasumi- I think she's the best of the lot, though I don't think she's a perfect saint. Anyway, I began to wonder: what if, while Ranma has taken a good look at his own life and decided to change things, Kasumi has done the same thing? Specifically, she's decided that Ranma isn't such a bad catch after all, and so now she's decided to try and catch him?

So, what do folks think? Could such a scenario be made plausible? Or is the idea of Kasumi actually trying to deliberately snare a guy's heart just too much?
Water, water, everywhere, and all was cursed and black!
Drowned ones cast bad spell and out come pig, girl, duck, panda!
Swirl, swirl, slithery pond, and join with magic spring!
Swirl, swirl, dirty pond, and rid the cursed sting!
Here my prayer, I beg you please!
Now turn these curses BACK!

http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-boys-names.shtml
http://www.issendai.com/rpgs/japanese-girls-names.shtml
SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby mondu_the_fat » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:56 pm

If I saw a summary where Ranma is yet again fed up with his life and this time hooking up with Kasumi, I'd automatically pass over it and wouldn't give it another look, unless it was written by someone like Mark MacKinnon or Takahashi herself.
"So Igor wasn't kidding. Most people just ensure they won't die cold and alone by making friends...I gain superpowers and have mysterious voices tell me I did a good job. My life is a goddamn mess."
-- Minato Arisato, My Life is a Goddamn Mess
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:18 pm

I never said she was going to win, and it's not Ranma pursuing her- in fact, he's aiming to break all ties with the Tendo family engagement. He doesn't know which girl he wants right now, he's just convinced that the Tendo arrangement isn't going to be a happy ending. I was just curious as to whether the idea of Kasumi as the pursuer instead of the pursuee was worth using.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:56 pm

I'd read it of course. And it would be fun if the winner in the end was Hinako ^_^
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Re: Could this scenario be pulled off?

Postby Zwzn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm

SpaceKnight of Chaos wrote:I've been giving some thought to the sequel I have planned got my "Another Rainy Day in Nerima" (rather presumptuous, I know, seeing as how I've still got a dozen or so chapters left for that one), and this peculiar scenario for it came to mind. I'm not exactly sure whether or not it could actually work, so I thought I'd nail it up for people to pick over.

The original (and still valid) base scenario for the story is that, after the events of ARDiN, Ranma has decided that he no longer wants the Tendo arrangement- he still doesn't have a clue which girl he wants to marry, but he's no longer fixated on Akane. As a result, he begins taking steps to sever his ties to the Tendos and to get to know his other fiancees better. However, then I began to think about something, due to inspiration from varying sources, including Spokavriel.

That something was Kasumi Tendo: now, while I don't like the other members of the Tendo family all that much, I don't have that problem with Kasumi- I think she's the best of the lot, though I don't think she's a perfect saint. Anyway, I began to wonder: what if, while Ranma has taken a good look at his own life and decided to change things, Kasumi has done the same thing? Specifically, she's decided that Ranma isn't such a bad catch after all, and so now she's decided to try and catch him?

So, what do folks think? Could such a scenario be made plausible? Or is the idea of Kasumi actually trying to deliberately snare a guy's heart just too much?

I don't think I have ever seen a story that was Ranma and or Kasumi deciding to leave/make a change in their lives. It always seems to just be glossed over.

What made Ranma deside that things aren't working out?

How did he come to the decision?

How does he plan to fix things?

What made Kasumi change her mind?
Zwzn
Moon Senshi

Postby SpaceKnight of Chaos » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:12 pm

I'm afraid I can't really answer those questions. Spoilers (with a touch of "haven't made it yet") for the first three, and "I haven't got a clue just yet" for the final questions.

SpaceKnight of Chaos
Prism Power Senshi

Postby FOG3 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:27 pm

It would break the canon mold if she's actually truly aggressive. Subtlety and manipulation through a dropped hint here and there getting balls rolling is within the purview of her character, but would not be particularly easy to write. Manipulators never are, manipulators good enough to play innocent doubly so.

Are fans liable to care the canon mold was shattered to a zillion ittsy bittsy pieces? Not necessarily, it all depends upon the quality of the execution. Poor execution and you'll be the one strung strung up, good execution and they might very well string up praise. :wink:
FOG3

Return to Ideas