Nanoha and Disgaea

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Nanoha and Disgaea

Postby Kakanma » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:31 am

Shortly after the end of season one, before Yuuno leaves, Nanoha decides that she wants to go visit Fate. After whining, bribing, and outright threatening Yuuno he finally caves and tells her how to set up a dimensional jump.

Sadly even a mage of Nanoha's raw power is still vulnerable to Murphy's law. During her reciting of the coordinates Nanoha sneezes, and promptly vanishes. Yuuno realizing just how DEAD he is if Fate finds out, starts trying to figure out just where she went.

Meanwhile Nanoha wakes up in a very creepy castle to the sounds of combat and goes to check things out. What she wanders into is one of Larharl's fights to claim the title of overlord. His opponent, seeing a new figure on the battle field that isn't one of his, attacks her immediately. Nanoha's first reaction to what looks like, and actually is a demon attacking? Vaporize. Cue Larharl trying to recruit the scary powerful mage on the spot.

After the battle is over, with Nanoha and Larharl being the victors of course, they sit down and work out their temporary alliance. Of course such a conversation needs input from Etna, and Flonne joins in to make sure that Larharl doesn't take advantage of the sweet little girl. Nanoha just wants to go home but this proves to be more difficult than expected because of the swiftly escalating war between the Netherworld and Celestia, Larharl points out that if he becomes overlord he can end the war and send her home, so really it is in her best interest to help him out, right?

And so Nanoha sticks around and even gets a minion and a few prinnes to call her own, but eventually leaves for her home. She arrives back home to find a couple MONTHS have passed and everyone thought that she ether ran away or was kidnapped! So amidst all the smothering attention we move into the start of A's...
"You mean...You'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"
Kakanma
Senshi Cadet

Postby Climhazard » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:58 am

Cue Larharl trying to recruit the scary powerful mage on the spot.

Scary powerful mage? Nanoha powerful, yes. But comrared to Laharl... IMO he could crush her without ANY troubles. And Laharl more or less a weakest Overlord around...
- Carry the Emperor´s will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

- Even in death I still serve! (C) Dreadnought
Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:11 am

Scary powerful mage? Nanoha powerful, yes. But comrared to Laharl... IMO he could crush her without ANY troubles.

Yeah, Laharl and the other Overlords are very easily "Over 9000", even compared to the likes of Nanoha. That's not to say Laharl might not try to recruit her if the circumstances are right--say it's early in the game and he's got mostly incompetent minions, Etna, and a few prinnies to work with, for instance--but he's hardly going to be in awe of her power.

And Laharl more or less a weakest Overlord around...

Only where game mechanics are concerned. Storyline events paint him as being about as strong as the other overlords even if he's only level 50 or so by the time you beat the game; remember, Laharl single-handedly wiped out the Earth fleet during Earth's invasion of the netherworld.

That said, however, there are all kinds of fun things you could do with this premise. I can already imagine the kinds of conversations Flonne and Nanoha could get into, with Laharl standing off to one side and whimpering "By all the hells, there's two of them!"

And am I the only one who wants to see Nanoha get reincarnated as a demon at some point? Might be hard to explain the wings and tail when she gets home, though...
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:26 am

Storyline events paint him as being about as strong as the other overlords even if he's only level 50 or so by the time you beat the game; remember, Laharl single-handedly wiped out the Earth fleet during Earth's invasion of the netherworld.
Comprared to a Zetta, Babylon, Zenon and others he still weak.

And am I the only one who wants to see Nanoha get reincarnated as a demon at some point? Might be hard to explain the wings and tail when she gets home, though...

And this could give her a insane power-up :). Galaxy Mage Nanoha and Raising Heart (maybe also with some demonic tech installed?).

Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Kakanma » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:31 pm

Actually Comartemis had it right on the money with Nanoha arriving early in the game, most likely shortly after Flonne her self. And yes Raising Heart will be upgraded with the help of the item world to "perfect" it. :D

Has for her power, well you do have to admit that starlight breaker would ROCK in the magic rich netherworld...
"You mean...You'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"
Kakanma
Senshi Cadet

Postby Climhazard » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Has for her power, well you do have to admit that starlight breaker would ROCK in the magic rich netherworld...

Well... Tera-level spells still stronger IMO.

Kakanma do you truly understand how powerfull Nethetworld heroes is? Laharl single-handedly beat a 2.000.000 Earth battleships... Without even breaking a sweat! Babylon, Dragon God Overlord, could destroy a planet by just flying close to it! Its basicaly a second DBZ, really.
To be on one level with major players Nanoha need a one hell of power-up :). You could insert her into Disgaea but not expect that Nanoha instantly become a first-rate a$$$-kicker. If ever.

Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Comprared to a Zetta, Babylon, Zenon and others he still weak.

Those are top-tier overlords at the very peak of the dog pile, and Laharl held his own against Zenon at full power for several turns. Seraph Lamington, if you're going by in-game statistics, would have been one-shotted by one of Zenon's bitch-slaps. There's only a 300 level difference between them, really, and I can't think of any reasons Laharl would have for frantic level grinding in the year or two between Disgaea 1 and 2, so I'd say that at the very minimum, Laharl is around level 500 or so when he wakes up.

Kakanma do you truly understand how powerfull Nethetworld heroes is? Laharl single-handedly beat a 2.000.000 Earth battleships... Without even breaking a sweat! Babylon, Dragon God Overlord, could destroy a planet by just flying close to it! Its basicaly a second DBZ, really.

Which brings up a big problem with Disgaea fanfics; deciding how much of the game's insane power you can have in your fic without creating problems with the fight scenes. If you were to have Zenon make an appearance for instance, you'd better hope to god she doesn't use Dark Liberation and blow the planet to smithereens. And that would barely be a warm-up for her.

Power levels in Disgaea are a very strange thing. One minute Laharl can blow away an entire fleet with his own power, but the next thing you know he's struggling to take down a squad of EDF troops--rank and file human grunts, mind you, not 1500 year-old demons. I'd recommend that you play things fast and loose with the power levels and probably retcon that entire fleet-killing scene altogether.

On the other hand, if you're not altogether concerned about the characters being too powerful, you could always have Nanoha be critically wounded or just plain blown away in the initial confrontation. Flonne's healing magic stabilizes her long enough to get her to the Netherworld hospital, but the only thing they can really salvage is her spirit, which hasn't passed on yet. Flonne reincarnates her as a Magic Knight using the mana she's accumulated over the past few battles, and suddenly Nanoha has the power-up she needs to be of use to Laharl and the gang.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:56 am

There's only a 300 level difference between them, really, and I can't think of any reasons Laharl would have for frantic level grinding in the year or two between Disgaea 1 and 2.

But this is exactly what Laharl do :). If I remeber it right, he said that he constantly sparred with Prier. Hence the level.

One minute Laharl can blow away an entire fleet with his own power, but the next thing you know he's struggling to take down a squad of EDF troops--rank and file human grunts, mind you, not 1500 year-old demons.

IMO you mixing up game mechanics and story. Maybe I'm wrong but story-wise he never have any troubles with humans.

Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:54 am

I'm pretty sure that was reffering to the difference between a Cutscene and a level. In the Cutscene he simply nukes all the ships, but once you start the stage you would be fighting EDF troops that should pose a challenge (assuming that you haven't been grinding and you're still on the first playthrough).

Of course, another thing to consider is that Overlords would probably have difficulty getting anything done if they blew up their Netherworlds every time they attacked something so there probably is some level of difference between Overlords fighting "lesser" daemons and Overlords fighting other Overlords......
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:08 am

I'm pretty sure that was reffering to the difference between a Cutscene and a level. In the Cutscene he simply nukes all the ships, but once you start the stage you would be fighting EDF troops that should pose a challenge (assuming that you haven't been grinding and you're still on the first playthrough).

Its kinda like DMC. In cutscenes Dante portrayed as a pretty much unkillable and insanaly powerfull. But on a level even a simple demon could kill him. It's exectly what I'm saying about mixing game mechanics and story.

Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 am

But this is exactly what Laharl do Smile. If I remeber it right, he said that he constantly sparred with Prier. Hence the level.

I only remember him saying in the manga adaptation of Disgaea 2 that he was fighting loads of heroes who weren't giving him any sort of challenge. Prier was never mentioned to the best of my knowledge.

IMO you mixing up game mechanics and story. Maybe I'm wrong but story-wise he never have any troubles with humans.

Look at it this way: you have essentially two choices if you're going to write a Disgaea fanfic. On the one hand, you can go by the storyline events and say that Laharl is strong enough to make his bid for overlord right from the start, which means he would start off around level 500, as I mentioned. However, this presents the problem I mentioned with the fight scenes, which are almost guaranteed to look like DBZ on steroids, and it may become difficult to accurately portray the strengths of the characters according to the storyline when you're only given a few scenes to hint at the depths of Laharl's power. It also brings up problems with other, somewhat more normal characters like Flonne, Thursday, Jennifer, and Captain Gordon, Defender of Earth! being on par in power with a 1500 year-old demon who eats fleets for lunch. Exactly how hard and how long did Jennifer have to train to be about equal in power to an overlord?

The other route you could take would be to ignore the storyline and go by game mechanics; Laharl is a level 1 newbie, his minions are completely incompetent, and most of the demons of his netherworld are unnaturally weak compared to the demons of other netherworlds like Veldime; this explains how guys like Maderas can delude themselves into thinking they're strong enough for the position, because they really are some of the strongest guys around. However this creates problems with the storyline and may occasionally require retcons like the fleet-killing scene.

However, what you can't do (at least if you're trying to take this seriously) is leave the game the way it is. If you have Laharl blow away a fleet and then have trouble with rank-and-file human soldiers, your readers are going to be scratching their heads trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Gameplay and story segregation does not translate well into a fanfic. It's either one, the other, or a compromise between the two.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Now I think that we greatly misunderstood each other. At begining of Disgaea Laharl not even a half as strong as Laharl on "fleet demolition" scene. But even on begining of game I doubt that Nanoha able to do anything to Laharl. Of course, consendering his behaviour with others it pretty much a given that he going to try to recruit Nanoha. In typical Laharl fashion :).

And I'm disagree with statement that Flonne, Thursday, Jennifer, or Captain Gordon beinп on par with Laharl on ANY moment of game. Etna maybe...

Prier was never mentioned to the best of my knowledge.

I obtained this little titbit of information in "Phantom Brave".

Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:42 pm

Now I think that we greatly misunderstood each other. At begining of Disgaea Laharl not even a half as strong as Laharl on "fleet demolition" scene.

How do you figure that? Game mechanics again?

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Exactly how hard and how long did Jennifer have to train to be about equal in power to an overlord?

Isn't Prier just a 16 years old when she rise on Overlord level? Maybe slightly older? Basicaly, in Netherversum 'to be human' not automaticaly mean 'to be powerless'. Maroon (12 years old) with her phantoms could give a Overlord a run of his money (She beat Laharl in Phantom Brave).

How do you figure that? Game mechanics again?

No. Story of course. Or more precisely "Alternative World Overlord" (fake one of course). He beat Laharl team and then got beaten by Laharl father vassals. So I say that Laharl definitly got stronger through the game. Well that or this vassals all on Overlord level.

PS. "Not even a half as strong" a just a figure of speach.

Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Isn't Prier just a 16 years old when she rise on Overlord level?

16 when she became a demon, actually. There's really no telling how long it's been since she was last human.

Well that or this vassals all on Overlord level.

Next time you're in the castle, take a look at their respective levels. I think the dragon in the throne room is something on the order of level 3000 or so.

PS. "Not even a half as strong" a just a figure of speach.

Sounds pretty specific for a figure of speech.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas