Project Remix: A Nanoha/Negima Fusion of Epic Proportions

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Project Remix: A Nanoha/Negima Fusion of Epic Proportions

Postby Comartemis » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:33 pm

Alright kids, drop what you're doing and listen up, 'cause I'm about to post what is easily my most ambitious idea to date. One I have every intention of following through on, to boot.

As you may or may not have heard, I've been spending a big chunk of my time on the AnimeSuki Nanoha boards ever since Nanoha replaced Sailor Moon as my favorite series. In the past few months I have gotten the kinks out of several ideas only to abandon them for something I felt was more entertaining; this tendency of mine got so bad at one point that some of the locals started to comment on it rather unflatteringly.

Well a few weeks ago I finally found out what I wanted to do more than anything else; I wanted to throw a great big honkin' wrench into the gears of Nanoha canon and create my very own fanverse. I set about doing this and I've been sticking with it with the intention of actually writing something instead of just thinking about it.

Here's my idea: the relatively magic-free Earth of Nanoha canon has been replaced by the Earth of Mahou Sensei Negima canon, and Uminari City is a campus town of Mahora Academy.

On the surface this probably doesn’t seem like a big deal, save for the crossover potential. In actuality the differences date all the way back to first contact between the Earth and the TSAB. To put it simply, by the time Nagi Springfield and the Ala Rubra start running around in the pre-canon timeline, the Terran magic community has been integrated into the TSAB while the rest of Earth’s population remains totally clueless. The Ala Rubra are actually working in the TSAB’s interests during their voyages in the Magic World, and Takamichi winds up taking Asuna with him back to the Saint Church on Mid-Childa instead of Mahora Academy. I’m still working my way through the post-Chao arcs so there are probably some unseen problems with this take on canon which will need to be worked out.

Fast forwarding a few years, the first season of Nanoha canon takes place on Mahora Academy grounds a few years before Negi starts teaching there, so the only recognizable characters present are the older characters.

Divergence point #1 in this fanverse comes when Nanoha and Yuuno start their search for the Jewel Seeds and are quickly joined by a knight of the Saint Church, specifically an original character named Alexander Gracia. Alex is present on Earth on the orders of his adopted mother (and mentor as a Knight of the Church), Carim Gracia, for reasons unknown; Carim has only seen in one of her prophecies that something of monumental importance is going to take place on Earth, and that Alex will play a role in that event. Alex joins up with Nanoha and Yuuno and together the three of them start looking for the Jewel Seeds together.

Divergence #2 comes right around the time Fate gets involved, when the activities of Nanoha and friends catch the attention of Mahora’s resident vampire. Eva doesn’t care much for the TSAB butting in on her territory, nor is she particularly sympathetic to Fate’s situation, so whenever a fight breaks out on Mahora campus grounds, Eva inevitably intervenes and the whole confrontation turns into a three-way battle royale. This situation persists until near the end of the first season when the situation gets resolved by the end of the Jewel Seed case.

In the timeskip between the first and second seasons, Eva has an attitude adjustment and takes both Alex and Nanoha under her wings, suitably impressed by Nanoha’s shockingly fast progress as a mage in the first season. She does, however, treat them much the same as she treats Negi and Asuna in their training routines in Negima canon. This results in Nanoha being somewhat stronger than she was in canon A’s, and Alex progresses at his own rate.

When the Wolkenritter enter stage left, Eva decides to use them to test Nanoha’s and Alex’s progress and sides with the Wolkenritter, just to keep the fight from getting too off-balance for the Wolks when Fate and company return. She has no interest in the ultimate fate of Hayate or the Book of Darkness, but when the book takes over Hayate and begins to destroy the world, Eva busts out her full power along with Alex, Nanoha, and Fate to deal with Reinforce and the book’s viral defense program. Depending on how this goes, Eva may wind up facing off against Reinforce by herself with her powers fully unleashed. A clash of the titans if there ever was one.

Divergence #3 comes right at the end of A’s when Reinforce is preparing to delete herself. The tender farewell scene is interrupted by the sudden appearance of the Book’s creator, the fanverse’s designated Big Bad, a SSS-rank demon sorcerer named Cyphus Kane. His character is based on a much more sinister version of Xellos from Slayers, if that’s any indication of what kind of trouble our heroines are in.

Cyphus handily trounces the entire group with zero effort and rips the contents of the Book of Darkness out of Reinforce’s data core before vanishing, terminating her connection to the book and doing severe damage to her, but also ensuring that Rein will ultimately not need to delete herself and be replaced by Reinforce Zwei.

Following A’s, Eva continues to train Team Nanoha until they join the TSAB and leave for Mid-Childa. Alex leaves prior to this and returns to his duties as a full-fledged knight of the Saint Church. As an acting knight, however, Alex is required to take on a squire, a knight-in-training, and his charge eventually winds up being Asuna Kagurazaka. More on that in a moment.

Thanks to Eva’s training, Nanoha never overstresses herself during one of her missions, so the Nanoha Incident is replaced by the Fate Incident when Fate takes a near-fatal blow for Nanoha on a mission they would have missed in canon due to Nanoha being injured. Hayate benefits similarly from Eva’s training; in canon she was something of a glass cannon, but here she’s a fully-certified all-ranges killing machine with a devious streak that Eva brought out of her during Hayate’s training.

The encounter with Cyphus ultimately leads to Nanoha passing on her dream of becoming a combat instructor in favor of tracking down Cyphus and his fellow collaborators in the interest of bringing them to justice before they can hurt any more people. Hayate does something similar with the Ground Forces; Nanoha and Fate may be interested in bringing Cyphus down, but for Hayate, Rein, and the Wolks, it’s personal. And so it goes that Nanoha and Hayate become Enforcers along with Fate while the Wolks become contract mages that Hayate keeps on reserve for herself to help her with cases.

During the A’s to StrikerS timeskip, it’s highly possible that the events of Negima canon will take place in a side story, with Suzuka and Arisa becoming a part of Class 3-A and two of Negi’s pactio partners. If this happens, chances are good that the two storylines will intersect during the Chao arc, as numerous temporal distortions bring TSA agents down on Chao’s head and she gets Befriended by Suzuka, Arisa, and Negi. The ensuing Magic World arc would then be replaced by a trip to Mid-Childa, since Nagi was working for the TSAB and they have records of his possible whereabouts. This would eventually lead to the Ala Alba showing up right in the middle of StrikerS and helping to turn Jail’s plans to crush the bureau upside down.

By the time StrikerS rolls around, the Aces have run out of leads on Cyphus’s motives and whereabouts save for one; one of his more recent associates is Jail Scaglietti, a mad scientist who is after holy Relics of the Saint Church for reasons unknown. Together with Alex, Asuna, and a port of Zead from Front Mission 4 acting as the group’s brigadier general, RF6 is established with the Aces as squad commanders and Asuna and another OC serving under Hayate in Blade Squad.

The whole idea is supposed to cover multiple stories told in the same ‘verse, so while Classic Remix and A’s Remix have been plotted out from start to finish, parts of StrikerS Remix and Negima Remix as well as everything that comes after that is still almost completely up in the air. Like I said, an ambitious project, but one I intend to at least try to develop rather than posting for purely inspirational purposes.

Now this being a Nanoha fanfic, I realize not everyone’s going to be able to pitch in and help with this and that’s fine. Any help that can be offered by anyone will be gladly accepted, even if you only know anything about one series or the other. You might just bring up a plot hole or some other vital piece of information I hadn’t thought of.
Currently Watching: Gaiking: Legend of Daiku Maryu
Currently Playing: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Currently Reading: Sora no Otoshimono

KILL the darkfic. BURN the angst. PURGE the Bad End.
Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Frog » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:23 am

A Nanoha/Negima crossover would be very, very interesting. I've a lots of thoughts I'd like to put into words but it's rather late so my thoughts are in disarray. My comments concerning canon should therefore be taken with a grain of salt.

Mainly, I'm concerned about Evangeline. If I recall right, she only acted up during the vampire incident because of special circumstances which allowed her to use a fraction of her powers. During the Kyoto Arc she had her powers because she got off school grounds with a loop-hole. During the Mahora Festival she only fought with her strings because her powers were once again locked. How is Eva going to do all that you have her doing if she can only act at full power like... once a year, barring escaping the school grounds?

The part of switching a Nanoha incident for a Fate incident was nice. I liked that.

The original knight character, what exactly is his purpose? I didn't really see much use for him being there at all, only at the end of being a mentor for Asuna. It could lead to some comedic moments, seeing as Asuna favors the older gents. She could gripe and complain about having a younger mentor? But, really, the OC doesn't seem to serve much purpose, from what you've revealed.

How would the "real" world and the "magic" world be handled by the TSB? Would it be considered a natural phenomenon or some sort of space and reality breach?

I'd more stuff to add but I'm falling asleep. I'll read again and make better comments tomorrow.

In the meantime, like I said, interesting concept.
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come
There are songs of hope too
I would happily sacrifice my life for this world.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:50 am

Mainly, I'm concerned about Evangeline. If I recall right, she only acted up during the vampire incident because of special circumstances which allowed her to use a fraction of her powers. During the Kyoto Arc she had her powers because she got off school grounds with a loop-hole. During the Mahora Festival she only fought with her strings because her powers were once again locked. How is Eva going to do all that you have her doing if she can only act at full power like... once a year, barring escaping the school grounds?

*Blink*

Guess I need to reread that arc. I thought the Infernus Scholasticus curse only sealed the vast majority of her powers and confined her to the campus grounds? You mean it seals all of them?

The part of switching a Nanoha incident for a Fate incident was nice. I liked that.

Yes, I like it too; lots of Nano/Fateness ensues during Fate's recovery. :mrgreen: This is where their relationship starts to take off and become more open than it is in canon.

The original knight character, what exactly is his purpose? I didn't really see much use for him being there at all, only at the end of being a mentor for Asuna. It could lead to some comedic moments, seeing as Asuna favors the older gents. She could gripe and complain about having a younger mentor? But, really, the OC doesn't seem to serve much purpose, from what you've revealed.

Alex's role in the beginning is to mix things up in the first season or two. Just adding Eva and the rest would make for a rather boring recap story until the end of A's, so Alex is there in the beginning to make things more interesting by creating new character dynamics and interactions. In the long run, his true purpose and Carim's prophecy don't come into play until a few years after StrikerS, when Vivio comes into her own as a mage and Cyphus steps up his activities. StrikerS has an emphasis on technology vs magic in its' biggest conflicts; when Vivio grows up, it turns into man vs demon, and Alex's origins are deeply intertwined with this conflict. That's about all I can say at the moment; this part of the plot is still in development.

How would the "real" world and the "magic" world be handled by the TSB? Would it be considered a natural phenomenon or some sort of space and reality breach?

Oh that's easy. The magic world is a pocket dimension like the Garden of Time is, the only difference being one of scale. An unusual occurrence to be certain, but nothing the bureau would need to take action on.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby bissek » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:28 am

Evangeline can use her powers in the following circumstances.

1: On the full moon, possibly the night before and after as well.
2: On school blackout nights, which occur every six months, if she has Chachamaru hack the school computer system to make the curse get disrupted, as it is somehow integrated with the school's power grid.
3: If she is outside school grounds. The only time she is able to do this is if the principal is willing to fill out a permission slip authorizing her to leave the school proper every ten seconds for the duration of the time she's gone. I'm not sure what happens to her if he stops before she makes it back.
4: If she's recently consumed some of Negi's (or Nagi's in the unlikely event that he's in the area) blood.
Genius is 1.7% inspiration, 98.6% perspiration, and .4% poor math skills.
bissek
Moon Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:51 am

As I recall, the Book of Midnight itself was created by someone as an archive, and then someone else tampered with it resulting in the Book of Darkness, rather than them sharing a single creator.

Also, something I've had thoughts about is the Saint and the Cradle. Both are apparently remnants of El Hazard, so to me at least it seems unlikely that they would be truely unique. So a plot point that establishes further background for them and a possibility of more Cradles and Saints (with abbilities different from the known Saint Lineage) could be employed......
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:10 am

And so it goes that Nanoha and Hayate become Enforcers along with Fate while the Wolks become contract mages that Hayate keeps on reserve for herself to help her with cases.

Just a minor point, but how exactly Hayate ended up as a Enforcers? Keep in mind that in eyes of TSAB she more or less a leader of organized crime group and pretty much unreliable. This is a reason why she ended up in Ground Force.
- Carry the Emperor´s will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

- Even in death I still serve! (C) Dreadnought
Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:50 am

bissek wrote:Evangeline can use her powers in the following circumstances.

1: On the full moon, possibly the night before and after as well.
2: On school blackout nights, which occur every six months, if she has Chachamaru hack the school computer system to make the curse get disrupted, as it is somehow integrated with the school's power grid.
3: If she is outside school grounds. The only time she is able to do this is if the principal is willing to fill out a permission slip authorizing her to leave the school proper every ten seconds for the duration of the time she's gone. I'm not sure what happens to her if he stops before she makes it back.
4: If she's recently consumed some of Negi's (or Nagi's in the unlikely event that he's in the area) blood.

Hmmm... how about....
5: If she gets her hands on a Jewel Seed by accident during one of the above circumstances; this disrupts the curse so long as she possesses it, and her titanic magic abilities allow her to suppress the Seed's tendency to activate itself.

Just a minor point, but how exactly Hayate ended up as a Enforcers? Keep in mind that in eyes of TSAB she more or less a leader of organized crime group and pretty much unreliable. This is a reason why she ended up in Ground Force.

Actually that's pretty much a non-issue for everyone but hardheads like Regius. Note in the manga how Admiral Leti didn't hesitate to let that "organized crime group" stay together after the BoD incident. The bureau as a whole seems to be a very forgiving organization, if Leti and Lindy are any indication.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:05 am

Note in the manga how Admiral Leti didn't hesitate to let that "organized crime group" stay together after the BoD incident. The bureau as a whole seems to be a very forgiving organization, if Leti and Lindy are any indication.

I'm not sure that Leti and Lindy could be a indication of TSAB "forgivines". They both a Fate relatives, why in turn a good friend of Hayate.

Actually that's pretty much a non-issue for everyone but hardheads like Regius.

Don't this seems strange that men like Regius able to take a pretty big post in TSAB if it so... forgiven?
Last edited by Climhazard on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:25 am

Lindy was under no obligation to help Fate during her trial after season 1 prior to her adoption, and Leti has no connection to the Harlaowns besides being a family friend.

Regardless, they accepted former criminal Fate Testarossa as an Enforcer, and she was a willing participant in her mother's crimes; from any reasonable view, Hayate was just an innocent girl caught up in the Wolkenritter's mess, so there's no reason I can see why they wouldn't accept her as an Enforcer.

*EDIT*
She may, actually, have some technical legal responsibility because the Wolkenritter are her servants, but she never did anything to directly oppose TSA law except when she was under Reinforce's control.

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:41 am

OK. I still have a tonns of arguments but in same time hate to write long post on english...

Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Frog » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:33 am

Hmmm... how about....
5: If she gets her hands on a Jewel Seed by accident during one of the above circumstances; this disrupts the curse so long as she possesses it, and her titanic magic abilities allow her to suppress the Seed's tendency to activate itself.

So... why would she stay in school at all? If she gets her hands on a Jewel Seed that frees her magical powers it should be a simple task to undo the curse and just wander off to terrorize the magical world again or hunt for Nagi. Really, the only reason she stays at Mahora is because her powers are sealed and she can't go beyond the school limits. She's said so herself multiple times.

"Free Eva" loopholes don't seem to work when the first thing she'd do is jump out of your story :P

I propose the following:

If I recall right, didn't the events in the first two seasons of Nanoha happen blindingly fast? As in the space of a few weeks? The simplest solution would be to fix it so it happens shortly before a full moon. Eva would be inactive for the beginning of the events, show up halfway through, and let Nanoha act on her own towards the end.

Same for the events in A's.

One exception being that if Eva ever felt like testing Nanoha, Fate, and your OC she wouldn't rely on others. She only ever tests Negi against herself, Chacha, and Zero. I really can't see her relying on a third party to test the people that have caught her interest when triple teaming an apprentice is just so much more fun.

On a side note, what's the TSAB stance on Eva? We know that the magical world was absolutely terrified of her (using her as a bogeyman for kids), and even developed weapons specifically to deal with her in case she ever tried to take over (the anti-puppet ordinance used in the Mahora festival). We know the demon race is aware of Evangeline and that they either fear her or have a very, very healthy dose of respect for her (from the latest translated chapter). Finally, we also know that she easily dominated a "Demon God" and a magician ranked AAA (who was also said to be twice as strong as an "Aegis Battleship").

So... what's the TSAB stance on "The Visitation of Woe"? I'm thinking: "If we ignore her long enough, maybe she'll go away", but that's just me :P

What would the implementation of magic devices vs. magical mantras be?

Also, I think you're giving the TSAB too much credit. The fact that Hayate had to work so hard to establish her own section, to me, goes to show that Lindy and Leti are the exception, not the rule, so far as TSAB leadership goes.

Lastly, for now, I have to say that while the idea has merits it just seems to me like "Nanoha is trained by Evangeline and kicks even more ass" story. Which is to say, that if you're using the Negima universe, it's being woefully underused.

Which is to say: "Needs more Negi plz"

I'll post again later once I've more thoughts ordered out.
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come
There are songs of hope too
I would happily sacrifice my life for this world.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Heaven's Deamon » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:41 am

One method of using an "Enforcer Hayate" would be to provide greater supervision, IE Something similar to the Limiters mentioned in StrikerS but taken a little further, so that she wouldn't be capable of her high end spells while limited, and with personel who are there specifically to contain her if she goes rogue. They give her some leeway, but if she makes a mistake it turns into a hanging rope.
Apointed Spammer rank D by Fool (AKA Black Dragon) Monday April 9th, 2007

Upgraded to Spammer Rank C by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Monday April 30th, 2007

Promoted to Spammer Rank B by BD (AKA Fool, Black Dragon) Tuesday May 15th 2007
Heaven's Deamon
Moon Senshi

Postby Climhazard » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:10 pm

IE Something similar to the Limiters mentioned in StrikerS but taken a little further, so that she wouldn't be capable of her high end spells while limited, and with personel who are there specifically to contain her if she goes rogue.

Even further limitation? In StrikerS she knoked down by four rangs, from SS to A (Funy thing, Fate and Nanoha downed by two rangs only). IMO if take this further she not even able to fly :).

Climhazard
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Comartemis » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:34 pm

So... why would she stay in school at all? If she gets her hands on a Jewel Seed that frees her magical powers it should be a simple task to undo the curse and just wander off to terrorize the magical world again or hunt for Nagi. Really, the only reason she stays at Mahora is because her powers are sealed and she can't go beyond the school limits. She's said so herself multiple times.

Mmm... how about one JS weakens the curse but she needs more to completely break it? It gives her an incentive to actively compete with Nanoha, Alex, and Fate for the Jewel Seeds.

She only ever tests Negi against herself, Chacha, and Zero.

She tests Asuna against Negi as well, though that was mainly to prove a point about Asuna's lack of skill when compared to Negi. Since the Jewel Seeds are gone in A's, I can use the full moon excuse to let Eva participate while still depending somewhat on the Wolkenritter to help with her testing.

So... what's the TSAB stance on "The Visitation of Woe"?

"Handle with care." :P

Eva's not really an interdimensional criminal, so the TSAB isn't going to go out of their way to deal with her unless she tries to spread her "reign of terror" across the dimensions. Basically, it's a Terran issue, so let the Terrans deal with it.

What would the implementation of magic devices vs. magical mantras be?

Mantras as in incantations? That's a Terran magic system that makes extensive usage of incantations to harness greater magic power than most mages of their strengths would be able to use, as well as making elemental effects easier to harness. The only incantations we really see in Nanoha are for the big honkin' Ceremonial-type spells like Photon Lancer Phalanx Shift; Terran magic makes use of shorter incantations on a much more frequent basis to expand on the power and versatility of a mage's arsenal of spells.

Also, I think you're giving the TSAB too much credit. The fact that Hayate had to work so hard to establish her own section, to me, goes to show that Lindy and Leti are the exception, not the rule, so far as TSAB leadership goes.

The military otaku on AnimeSuki would tell you that difficulty in establishing a unit within a military power like the TSAB is an uphill battle regardless of your background. Moreover, when Hayate goes before the brass in StrikerS episode 2 to explain the unit's purpose, she walks away from the meeting with either total or near-total support from the brass, the only real exception being Regius, who wasn't present for some reason.

Lastly, for now, I have to say that while the idea has merits it just seems to me like "Nanoha is trained by Evangeline and kicks even more ass" story. Which is to say, that if you're using the Negima universe, it's being woefully underused.

Which is to say: "Needs more Negi plz"

That's a matter of timeline issues. Negi and the rest come into play in the A's to StrikerS timeskip, with Asuna becoming Alex's apprentice, and Arisa and Suzuka becoming Negi's pactio partners, like I mentioned earlier.

Besides; you think being trained by Evangeline is interesting? There's a crack-fic one-shot on Outer Cadia that has Nanoha being trained by one of the Touhou girls. Industrial-grade danmaku, anybody?

Comartemis
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby al103 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:36 am

/Reads fic's idea... than again.../ And there goes my hope for the good Nanoha/Negima cross :( It's... damn, i can't say how it is without use of some specific russian idioms :(

Anyway i still think that i need to help fellow nanohafan/negimafan even if his ideas of good fic are on other side of my ideas... So i will be pure technical:

Basicaly magic in both verses is exactly the same thing. Negimaverse incantations, spellkeys and focus items (wands, staffs and so on) and nanohaverse incantations, spellkeys (nanoha's "lyrical magical" for example), mathematical equations and devices - are all methods of tap on your own magic and than visualise that in spell pattern you need... and NONE are needed in reality, just they are more easier way. + big magical reserve helps to skip some parts of that. Nanohaverse use mathematical equations and computers in casting give tham bonus so they need spellkey and incantations only for hardest spells OR without device magic.

Device feeds on it's user linker core, Hayate problem is because of lack of safeguard mechanism on BoD. Yuno can't use full form of Raising Heart because he have not enough magical reserve. Also because of that Konoka and Negi are potentially best suited for high level device magic.

>4: If she's recently consumed some of Negi's (or Nagi's in the unlikely event that he's in the area) blood.

Any blood really, she used schoolgirls to gather enough in 2nd arc, she said it herself. Just magic from blood proportional to magic in body so Negi & Konoka are best suited for that. Because of that i'm not sure that freedom from spell comes from the power in blood, but the blood magic...

Also Asuna basicaly walking AMF in body radius without pactio item and projected&amplified with it.

Also Saint bloodline is NOT from Al Hazard, but genetical project of Belka Empire royality on themselves. Thoug it's possible that there are other results of experiments (see Asuna - royality, heterohromia, walking AMF... just perfect candidature).
al103
Senshi Cadet

Next

Return to Ideas