A possible base for a Ranma/Kaori Daikouji pairing

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

A possible base for a Ranma/Kaori Daikouji pairing

Postby GenocideHeart » Sat May 20, 2006 11:08 am

Here's an idea...
You may recall the delivery girl, Kaori Daikokuji, and how she seemed genuinely willing to marry Ranma.
What if she was actually raised specifically to marry him, similarly to how Aoi was raised in Ai Yori Aoshi?
It may be an interesting premise for a completely unexplored pairing...
The idea would basically be a mix of what we KNOW of Aoi (demure, faithful and loyal to her intended husband - the fact she likes him genuinely and has no ulterior motives helps) and what little we saw of Kaori (forceful enough to defend what she perceives to be her rightful place at Ranma's side, with violence if need be).
"When the Planessss burnnnn and all life is torchesss, then Ignusss ssshall at lassst... be at peace..."
--Ignus, Planescape: Torment
"Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe."
--Vhailor, Planescape: Torment
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Innortal » Sat May 20, 2006 11:19 am

You do realize that describes half the fiancee brigade?
Innortal
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Re: A possible base for a Ranma/Kaori Daikouji pairing

Postby nuclear death frog » Sat May 20, 2006 11:41 am

GenocideHeart wrote:It may be an interesting premise for a completely unexplored pairing...

Not *completely* unexplored. She ultimately didn't win, but she was a decent addition in Aondehafka's story Nocturne.
Stories where she does end up with him, though, I'm not aware that any exist.
Is there any place I can read more about her character without resorting to fanfics or watching the episode, which I don't own?
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby GenocideHeart » Sat May 20, 2006 12:07 pm

Innortal wrote:You do realize that describes half the fiancee brigade?

Um, no. ALL the other fiancees view Ranma as a prize, even Akane and Ukyou. My idea of Kaori is to have her be completely devoted to him, without question. The fiancees aren't really submissive (Shampoo submissive? hahahahahaha). Aoi was.
Basically, my idea is to have her actually listen to Ranma instead of telling him what to do or exploding in random acts of violence over the most minor thing. However, should she feel really threatened by something, she'll defend her position, unless it meets Ranma's disapproval.
It's a fair variation over the whole 'violent fiancees who don't really care as long as they get what they want' bit.
"When the Planessss burnnnn and all life is torchesss, then Ignusss ssshall at lassst... be at peace..."
"Know that for all who betray justice, I am their fate. And fate carries an executioner's axe."
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby crystlshake » Sun May 21, 2006 6:12 pm

It has some extra contention from the martial and culinary angles too. Her dad seems to follow honor more stridently as well. Being that they left when they lost (though that is probably partly due to conflict with the manga). Explaining the curse should produce an interesting scene as well.
I can see her and Shampoo clashing frequently when on deliveries. Im guessing setting her home up similar to the Cat Cafe would work. Perhaps a higher class establishment since they seemed to be pretty loaded. Just that aspect might tweak Nabiki's perspective as well for the food if nothing else.
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby Dark Magic » Sun May 21, 2006 8:53 pm

I don't know much about Kaori Daikokuji, is that the girl in the anime that Ranma was sold to for the fish and pickles as a baby, not sure because haven't seen really that much of the anime.
But other then that sounds like an interesting idea, always wondered how Ranma would act with a fiancee that cared what he thought about and would actually respect him at all.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby crystlshake » Mon May 22, 2006 1:33 am

Yeah. Not long after the deal Genma stole him back. They track them to the dojo. I dont recal if the race was anounced before or after they found the Saotomes though. If im not getting it mixed up with something from Ukyo, they were a ninja clan that delivered food. There are actually a few pretty cool attacks that she uses based around ramen delivery. I think she only lost because of Ranma's interference. The fathers got behind the whole race thing more for the ramen for a year prize than for disolving the engagement.
The two moves I remember are the noodle noose and some attack that destroys an opponents delivery. There was some impresive speed displayed at her intro to if i recal correctly.
'The willow knows what the storm does not. The power to endure pain outlives the power to inflict it.' -MtG, Blood of the Martyr
Appointed Spamville Inquisition Deputy by Shadell September 27, 2006.
Appointed Himitsu's Loyal Left Hand Girl October 26, 2006.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby GenocideHeart » Mon May 22, 2006 12:56 pm

Yes, Kaori was extremely fast too. Hell, had she stuck around, she'd probably have been in the top 3 strongest females, and that top 3 includes Ranma-chan. That says a lot about how good she was - she basically put Akane out of commission in literally seconds, and only Ranma butting in allowed Akane to get out of it in one piece.
At the same time, unlike the other fiancees, the Daikokuji meant it when they said they'd go away if they lost. That leads me to think that they may have a rigid code of honor.
And one possible explanation for why such a family would accept to 'buy' a kid for fish and pickles would be just that - that Genma's honorless conduct disgusted them so badly, they figured the kid would be better off away from the fat slob. Which is something I can totally agree with.
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dark Magic » Mon May 22, 2006 1:16 pm

So is someone actually writing this idea or did it just get posted to through it out there if someone wanted it.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby GenocideHeart » Mon May 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Dark Magic wrote:So is someone actually writing this idea or did it just get posted to through it out there if someone wanted it.

I'm very busy with my current fics, so I just threw the idea out to see if anyone cared enough to give it a spin. I have 4 fics in the works already, and my name isn't Hawk, so I doubt I can add any more without going insane from the confusion in my head... :wink:
If anyone wants to try this, go ahead. I'll be your #1 fan. :D
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby nuclear death frog » Mon May 22, 2006 2:27 pm

I might consider it, but I'd need information about her. Looks, shown personality (for reference), canon techniques, fighting style, etc. etc.
Like I said, I've never seen that episode.
And even if I agreed to write it, it doesn't mean you'd ever see anything. I have a bunch of ideas that I'm either stalled on, or haven't started.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby GenocideHeart » Mon May 22, 2006 3:29 pm

nuclear death frog wrote:I might consider it, but I'd need information about her. Looks, shown personality (for reference), canon techniques, fighting style, etc. etc.
Like I said, I've never seen that episode.
And even if I agreed to write it, it doesn't mean you'd ever see anything. I have a bunch of ideas that I'm either stalled on, or haven't started.

I honestly don't know where to direct you for info on her. She's such a minor character tha even wikipedia doesn't mention her :?
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Dark Magic » Mon May 22, 2006 5:06 pm

Don't really know much about her either but looking around and trying to find info on her brought to this website and a profile about her. So here is her profile according to this website anyway
http://www.animeinfo.org/featured/ranma/ranmapeople/kaori.html
Hope it helps. :)
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby GenocideHeart » Mon May 22, 2006 5:26 pm

Dark Magic wrote:Don't really know much about her either but looking around and trying to find info on her brought to this website and a profile about her. So here is her profile according to this website anyway
http://www.animeinfo.org/featured/ranma/ranmapeople/kaori.html
Hope it helps. :)

The site isn't entirely correct. It wasn't s much that Kaori was arrogant, as that she's, like Ranma, able to gauge an opponent's skill at a glance. She simply realized right away that Akane was a scrub, and thus felt (justifiably) confident that she would win.
Akane outright cheated to win that fight, which is probably one of the lowest points she got to in the series. If you get in a fight that you can't win, suck it up and take the loss, is my opinion.
GenocideHeart
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby migele » Tue May 23, 2006 7:55 am

Kaori is more or less a lady.
Reminds me a little of Michiru for some reason.
And she knows her worth, she is fast and educated. a huge contrast to Ranma and the others.
As far as character traits go, I'd say she has several rather unique ones in Ranma.5
migele
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Next

Return to Ideas