Uncommon Crossovers.

For submitting and talking about story ideas. Idea submissions must be at least five paragraphs long, and include plot points, summaries of which characters are involved, and, for fanfiction, how it differs from canon. Both original and fanfiction ideas welcome. Though original works should have more development. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Uncommon Crossovers.

Postby Frog » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:01 pm

So lately I've been giving more and more thought to crossing Ranma over with newer series. Since Ranma is a rather old show and it's fanfiction community is also pretty old, Ranma often gets crossed over with older shows like SM, AMG, and TM. But what about the newer shows? Seems like they're neglected in favor of formulaic crossovers which have already proven to work in the past, instead of trying to experiment. With that in mind I've been trying to come up with more and more scenarios in which Ranma might crossover with new series. These are very rough but I intend to flesh them out later. Anyways, moving on:
1. Ranma + Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - If you haven't played SMT: N here's a quick overview for you = 'The world is destroyed in an apocalypse known as Inception. The ruined world is quickly overtaken by demons and creatures of legend seeking to control the power of Kagutsuchi, the new sun, to remake the world according to their own philosophy. Three persons arise with their own selfish Reason and it's up to the protagonist to try and unravel the mysteries of this new world, Kagutsuchi, and decide which reason, if any, he's going to support'.
Ok, maybe that was a bit more complicated than it needed to be. Point is, everyone dies and few survivors get to make a new world in the image they desire. This idea came to me back in the old forum when somebody mentioned placing Kasumi in the most wacked out situation imaginable. This is what came to my mind:
Kasumi gets called by one of her old highschool teachers to visit her in the Hospital. Kasumi, being the polite one, decides to visit immedeatly, since this teacher was always one of her favorites in school. Akane and Nabiki decide to tag along since Kasumi had always spoken of this teacher in glowing praise and they never got a chance to meet her (she transferred schools before Nabiki took any of her classes). Ranma is out of the house because he just got a mysterious challenge letter. When the three arrive at the hospital, which is deserted, the Inception happens and all hell breaks loose.
Kasumi would be the Demi-fiend, the protagonist, the poor soul who is infected with the demonic Megatama to become the strongest demon of all and decide, by the sword, which Reason will forge the new world. Akane would be one of the survivors of the Inception and her Reason would be YOSUGA, a philosophy of survival by strength. Nabiki would be the other survivor. Her reason would be MUSUBI, a philosophy of complete solitude and isolation. Ranma will have survived, but he will not have a Reason of his own. Instead it turns out that the challenge letter was a call to fulfill an ancient family vow, the reason for which he was training in the martial since childhood. A mysterious old man in a wheelchair has requested of him to fulfill this demon hunting vow and exterminate the DemiFiend. He reluctantly agrees.
The story would mostly focus on Kasumi trying to make sense of this mad new world and her encounters/skirmiches with Ranma. Kasumi watching as her sisters break under the strain of the new world and embrace their Reasons. A few scenes of interaction between Kasumi and the strange creatures of the new world and how she matures and changes as she comes in contact with beings of myth. It might even involve Kasumi unraveling the mysteries of the Amala network, and arriving at the last floor of the Laberynth and embracing the Reason she finds there... though that might be a bit too much. I think it'd end better with Kasumi remaining intrinsically Kasumi despite all that she has seen and trying to end the cycle of death and rebirth by returning to normal.
If you havent played Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne I recommend you find a copy. This is a game well worth the money.
2. Ranma + Rozen Maiden - Tough because I can't ever make up my mind about which of two dolls would make for a more interesting story. Either Hina Ichigo or Suigintou would make for spark to fly if they wound up with Ranma as their medium. Both have their good points. For example, Hina was, at first, a spoiled brat and Ranma would most certainly bring that out in her. However, he's a good kid too, so if Hina ever got into trouble he'd prolly go out of his way to help her (say Hina met up with a cat or something). Still, his pride most certainly wouldn't allow him to be caught with a doll so he'd prolly try to keep Hina locked in her box all day. Hina, of course, would not comply. I think there's a great potential for the both of them to grow and mature with each other. It would end, ofcourse, with a rather bittersweet goodbye from Hina, leaving a saddened Ranma to reminsce, the end.
Suigintou would be more of the same and would still be pretty different. She's far more independent than Hina and she's pretty damn ruthless. I can see them clashing over her methods and Ranma trying to find a way to break their contract. Suigintou, ofcourse, wouldn't want to be ladden down with a useless human, and this would just make Ranma angry and defensive calling her 'Junk' and the like. How would they eventually warm up to each other? I haven't thought nearly that far ahead in this scenario. I'll come up with something later.
3. Ranma + Mai HiME - this one I have not though much about. I have a few ideas floating around. For example, my least favorite, Ranma taking Mai's place and the cross over following the HiME storyline with a few changes. My main gripe with this is a) I love Mai b) following a storyline with only a few changes is boring.
My second idea has Ranma in some sort of accident. He's, make that she, then taken in by the Searrs and made into an artifical HiME to be used as a backup for Alyssa, should she fail to bring about the Golden Millenium. Main inspiration comes from the fake movie trailer in which Arika shows up as a Searrs HiME and restarts the HiME Carnival. To make it even more interesting Ranma could be under some sort of Searrs mind control which makes him go from normal male student to 'must bring about Golden Millenium/kill HiMEs' female avenger. I see some definite possibilities for this one and will probably put some more thought into this scenario.
4. Ranma + Fate/Stay Night - Now this one just came to my mind while I was writing the others so it's extremely raw. It would involve the current War for the Holy Grail and Caster, my favorite female servant. Caster would, seeking to gain an avantage in the war, summon her own Servant, Assassin. Only in this case she wouldn't summon the Heroic Spirit of one Sakaki Kojiro, but the Heroic Spirit of one Ranma Saotome, martial artist extraordinaire who died only recently under mysterious circumstances during a trip to China. To make it more interesting it could be that Caster made some mistake in the summoning and Assassin (Ranma) lost his memories of his contract with the Throne of Heroes and as such he believes that he is the real Ranma Saotome and not some reanimated shade. He'd try to regain control of his life and get into quarrels with Caster about his name ('I'm Ranma!' 'You're just Assassin. Dont make me use a command seal!'). Hijinks would ensue until the War really gets underway. Then chaos would ensue.
I'll post more ideas as I come up with them. I hope that at least some were amusing or piqued your interest about crossing Ranma with the unusual.
Move, make way, truth is coming through
The era of justice will come
There are songs of hope too
I would happily sacrifice my life for this world.
Frog
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Greybara » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:04 pm

ive considered crossing ranma with kashimashi, its hot off the press, but since its hot off the press i should probably wait till more of the series is released,
i have yet to see many new ranma fanfiction at all though
Greybara
Senshi Candidate

Postby Dark Magic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:29 pm

I think they all sound pretty good. But I like the first idea the best. The crossover with Shin Megami Tenshi. It has a lot of potential and I would love to see Ranma act more like a bad guy.
If you went with Rozen Maiden I would choose Suigintou just because I think that story line would be better.
Mai HiME I don't really know much about this show. But I would choose not replacing Mai and going with the second idea. I just don't like the idea of simpling replacing the main character of the story with someone else.
and for Fate/Stay Night I think the idea sounds interesting.
No matter which you choose I think it would be a good story.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Atlan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:06 pm

how about Ranma/Tenjo Tenge? The two fit perfectly.
Or, since NOONE will have done it- Ranma/Lunar Legend Tsuciheme?
(though dammed if i can think of a way to do it)
Ranma/Kaliedo Star? He sure has the agility for it.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby stratagemini » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:49 am

I'd Like to See Ranma Crossed with older series that could make things more interesting.
Ranma/Castlevania.
We all remember Genma saying that The First duty of a martial artist is to hunt monsters. What if Ranma actually believed him? There are a lot of Openings here. the best ones would probably be in later parts of teh series. The Solar eclipse in 1999 when Drac's castle was sealed in Tokyo.
Soma Cruz's visit to said temple several years later in Aria of Sorrow. Admittedly both are after Ranma, but we can fudge timelines, or make it a continuation. Who's to say Ranma never met Genya Arikado on his travels?
Ranma/X-Men
We've all seen stories where ranma gets a beneficial mutant power and the tendos are all friend of humanity bigots. But what if ranma didn't get a beneficial mutant power? What if he got something horrible. Like having his skin excrete poison similar to teh poison arrow tree frog? Of course, teh only way for ranma to find this out would be to accidentally kill someone while fighting or sparring with them. and the Tendo family is not likely to house a murderer. It would really screw up Ranma's life because the poison can be transfered to objects via touch. And of course, Ranma's unlikely to realize what is happening at first...
Ranma/Twisted Metal
We all remember how Ranma will do anything to be rid of his curse. And if you played Twisted metal you know how Calypso grants wiishes to teh winner of the tournament. And, even if ranma wins. The wishes are like a monkey's paw. Someone who wants "everyone on earth to know his face" had his face replace the sky for instance. The perfect example of "Be careful what you wish for". And Ranma can always come back for revenge against Calypso in the sequel.
Although I've read Eldritch Asylum and Sic Semper Morituri, I find that there's no pure Ranma/Lovecrat crossover. Although teh series lends itself rather well. After all, who knows what unspeakable horrors Ranma came across on his training trip? or on future training trips?
.hack//SIGN
You all remember Tsukasa? How he kept asserting he was a guy? What if Ranma isn't really in his real world? what if he's a player trapped in an MMORPG? Of course this would take more of a premise from .hack than the world itself. And would probablybe best written in a fashion where you slowly reveal that The Ranma of taht world is not teh same as the manga. And that Ranma attracts so much trouble because he's always on in the game. And since he's part of it, he doesn't realize that it is a game.
Lain, Spirited away, Shinesman, Highlander, Bedazzled, Full Metal Panic, Ghost Busters, all of these have awesomepotential for exploration in Ranma.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby antimatterenergy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:01 am

Yeah a Ranma crossover with a newer series would be good especially now because there is very little good Ranma fanfiction coming out. I'd be happy with anything as long as it's good but since I do tend to like crossovers more I'd love to see some new ones with new series. I had been thinking about writing a Ranma/kim possible crossover though I only have some very vague ideas involving Ranma and Shego spending lots of time together, Ranma kidnapping Kim possible, getting lesson in how to fly Shego's jet, playing pranks on the various villians, and breaking out of prison. Not in that order though. I get lots of ideas but am never happy with my writing.
antimatterenergy
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Sailor Sedai (Ellf) » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:13 am

Heh, I've thought of a few Ranma crossovers.
Ranma/Eyeshield 21: Maybe Ranma gets sick of going to Furinkan and gets transfered by his mother to Deimon High. We all (being anyone who has seen the series or read the manga) know how Himura is about new kids, and with Ranma's skills, he'd make at least a decent kicker.
Ranma/Yakitake! Japan: Okay, this one's a weird one that wasn't completely fleshed out. Ranma needs to get a job to get some extra income for the Tendo household and decides to work at a bread shop. (they were the only ones to hire him.) Akane tries to work there too, but is swiftly moved to cashier duty and given the advice to go to a certain church. One with hedges seemingly shaped like an Afro around it.
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!
Sailor Sedai (Ellf)
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Atlan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:19 am

ranma/Adicted to curry- not so new, but so damed random!
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Greybara » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:26 pm

stratagemini wrote:I'd Like to See Ranma Crossed with older series that could make things more interesting.
Ranma/Castlevania.
We all remember Genma saying that The First duty of a martial artist is to hunt monsters. What if Ranma actually believed him? There are a lot of Openings here. the best ones would probably be in later parts of teh series. The Solar eclipse in 1999 when Drac's castle was sealed in Tokyo.
Soma Cruz's visit to said temple several years later in Aria of Sorrow. Admittedly both are after Ranma, but we can fudge timelines, or make it a continuation. Who's to say Ranma never met Genya Arikado on his travels?
Ranma/X-Men
We've all seen stories where ranma gets a beneficial mutant power and the tendos are all friend of humanity bigots. But what if ranma didn't get a beneficial mutant power? What if he got something horrible. Like having his skin excrete poison similar to teh poison arrow tree frog? Of course, teh only way for ranma to find this out would be to accidentally kill someone while fighting or sparring with them. and the Tendo family is not likely to house a murderer. It would really screw up Ranma's life because the poison can be transfered to objects via touch. And of course, Ranma's unlikely to realize what is happening at first...
Ranma/Twisted Metal
We all remember how Ranma will do anything to be rid of his curse. And if you played Twisted metal you know how Calypso grants wiishes to teh winner of the tournament. And, even if ranma wins. The wishes are like a monkey's paw. Someone who wants "everyone on earth to know his face" had his face replace the sky for instance. The perfect example of "Be careful what you wish for". And Ranma can always come back for revenge against Calypso in the sequel.
Although I've read Eldritch Asylum and Sic Semper Morituri, I find that there's no pure Ranma/Lovecrat crossover. Although teh series lends itself rather well. After all, who knows what unspeakable horrors Ranma came across on his training trip? or on future training trips?
.hack//SIGN
You all remember Tsukasa? How he kept asserting he was a guy? What if Ranma isn't really in his real world? what if he's a player trapped in an MMORPG? Of course this would take more of a premise from .hack than the world itself. And would probablybe best written in a fashion where you slowly reveal that The Ranma of taht world is not teh same as the manga. And that Ranma attracts so much trouble because he's always on in the game. And since he's part of it, he doesn't realize that it is a game.
Lain, Spirited away, Shinesman, Highlander, Bedazzled, Full Metal Panic, Ghost Busters, all of these have awesomepotential for exploration in Ranma.

Ive thought about ranma/castlevania before, where ranma dips in a spring and gains the power to rule, it might make an interesting story but im not good enough to pull it off.
.hack crossover has really interested me, the series would almost have to be au considering all the things that must change, it would probably take a while before the realization of the game like world. but i can totaly see warped versions of the tendo home, nermia etc,
the only problem is,
what kind of game is ranma in?
Greybara
Senshi Candidate

Postby Dark Magic » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:55 pm

I believe I have seen some Ranma Highlander fics. But either they weren't very good or there dead right now.
A crossover that I would like to see that I don't think has been done is Read or Die.
I just think Ranma would fit with all those wierd powers they seem to have.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Greybara » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:01 pm

those weird power are based off of japanese folklore and myths
Greybara
Senshi Candidate

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:35 pm

The problem with crossing over with Highlander is that Ranma is simply overpowered for the Highlander cast. You can only limit Ranma with his reluctance to kill/kidnap Akane for so long, then after that there's no way on earth anyone in Seacouver can stop him.
Another approach to hack//sign would be: what if Ranma were forced to play the game? Say, Akane was trapped in the same way Tsukasa was, then Ranma is forced to play within the limitations of the game system. No special techniques that aren't in-game, no weird tactics that weren't programmed in, no chi. No matter how good a fighter he is, there are equally/more obsessed video gamers out there, and Ranma can quickly find that while he may be undefeatable in real-lfe combat, no mere level 1 character will survive the bracelet, or someone with a large enough supply of healing magic. It will also be a blow to his ego when he realizes that he has to suck up his pride when he realizes that to level up quickly he has to "sawsaw" (sorry, don't know the english RPG equivalent) with higher-level characters.
How about Ranma+Azumanga Daioh? Where an older, mellower Ranma becomes a phys-ed teacher? Slap in Happosai for some perverted fun.
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby stratagemini » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:50 pm

Azumanga Daioh... It has possibilities. But you can't have him as phys ed. The phys ed Teacher is one of teh three teachers shown in the anime. Ranma could however be a teacher o a different subject. Say Physics? or biology?
We don't know anything about any of the student's parents. Except Sakaki-san. She has a lot of Athletic ability, has a guilty pleasure for stuffed animals, has girls falling for her (and is the center of attention), and her mother/father (Don't remember which) is "Allergic" to Cats.
Does anyone else see where this is going? Of course Cats are attracted to Sakaki-san and love to bite her. So, she could have inherited that too.
I See in Your Eyes, The same fear that would take the heart of me.
A Day may come, when the courage of men fails!
When we forsake our works, and break all bond of authorship- But Is Not THIS Day!
This Day, We WRITE!
stratagemini
Moon Cat Advisor

Postby Adyen » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:05 pm

Hmm.
Ranma + Shin Megami Tensei: While I would LOVE to see this, I do not think there is anyone, and no offense is meant, here that can write it out because it would take full-time attention. I don't think you'll give the story enough credit if you just write it as a 'fanfic', but I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Ranma + Rozen Maiden: I don't think it will work. If Ranma goes into a pact with any of the dolls, they have nearly complete control over the flow of energies and could literally force Ranma or kill him if it strikes their fancy, especially with early Hina-Ichigo and Suigintou.
Now, if it was the second season... That might be interesting.
Ranma + Mai HiME: I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't think this idea will work. This idea will not work simply because there's no way to 'fit' Ranma in. It's not that type of world, and generally speaking, most of the HiMEs will over-power Ranma very quickly.
Ranma + Fate/Stay Night: This... has potential. Though I have to admit I remember reading about someone having Ranma has Caster's master...
I'd like to see a Ranma + Nanoha/Triangle Heart Crossover... With Nanoha doing magic-stuff at home and her brother is overseas doing his assassin-thingy, then suddenly Nanoha crashes with Card Captor Sakura... Oh wait, sorry. My mind wondered. :P
Adyen
Senshi Cadet

Postby Greybara » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:07 pm

it would be hard to imagine ranma in azumangadaiou because ranma is blantantly male, and probably wouldnt pay much attention to a group of girls. the only thing i can think of is ranma replacing chiyo, ranma could somehow be stuck at an early age, and although ranma isnt bright, im certain hed be motivated to temporarily "buckle down and study" if the reward is having a crap load of time to practice his art since he graduated from highschool.
then again for the most part ranma is rather shy and reserved, only when instigated is he usualy loud and overbearing, recalling the way he acted before the curse was revealed in a situation where hes meeting new people ranma is very timmid
this could actualy work O:
Greybara
Senshi Candidate

Next

Return to Ideas