Are my chapters too long?

Talk about Return, Makeover, GunMoon, Gen Lost, and Windborne.

Re: Are my chapters too long?

Postby Quickshot0 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:27 pm

I don't tend to mind much, unless they start getting truly short.
Quickshot0
Moon Senshi

Postby Dartz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:09 pm

It is somewhat strange.

I used to hold to the short chapter idea, but found that this tended to break things up far too much and killed the flow of a story. As it is, I just let chapters be as long as they need to be to reach the point I want to be in at the end of the chapter. And if that takes about 130 pages, so be it (Yes, I have done that). It's not so much the size, it's the satisfaction of reading. A big chapter with good episodic development and a good ending is plenty satisfying.

The only time I've ever split a chapter was when it got too big for FFN... and in that case I ended up adding a pretty damn cool scene to the story to give me a good ending. In fact it worked so well, that I kept the split when I put both parts up on my own webspace. Together, they'd be well over 200 pages.
Dartz
Senshi Candidate

Postby Sunshine Temple » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:12 pm

Not sure on page-count to work-count here, but I do think that when my chapters were getting greater than 30,000 words that that was too long.

Though Strained Harmony is a bit of an exception as those are less chapters and more story arcs.

Of course none of what I write are actual literary chapters, they're far too long for that even at their floor. No these are more segments of serialized fiction.
Sunshine Temple
Site Mistress

Previous

Return to Sunshine Temple's Fics