A Martial Artist's Life is Fraught with Trouble (Pro - Ch.3)

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

A Martial Artist's Life is Fraught with Trouble (Pro - Ch.3)

Postby Crescent Pulsar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:28 am

This story is a Ranma 1/2 crossover with To Love-Ru, with it being a continuance in regard to the former series and a divergence at the very beginning of the latter. I posted this story in Spamville (only up to the second chapter) before, to dip the story's toe in the water (so to speak), and now that I have put down much of the foundation for Lala's presence I thought I'd go ahead and post it here for divine justice -- er, scrutiny. Even with the knowledge that I have no idea of how many people are familiar with To Love-Ru (the manga).

(Also, as anyone who reads this story can see, I actually wrote nearly twenty-thousand words without Ranma ever being in his cursed form. Well, technically. Why do I bother mentioning it? Oh, just because... DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT. U_U; )

I don't plan on working on this story in the next couple of months, so I can try to finish up at least three others, but if people find it interesting enough I might be able to pay it more attention since I like what I have planned for it. Also, it's a bit of a challenge for me to write, and I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. And stuff.

Oh, and for those of you who don't know why "peril" was replaced by "trouble" in the title, that's because To Love-Ru, when spoken as "Toraburu," sounds like "trouble." Well, I expect all puns to sound like trouble, anyway. Oh, snap!

Ahem. Anyway: the story thus far.
Crescent Pulsar
Crisis Power Senshi

Re: A Martial Artist's Life is Fraught with Trouble (Pro - Ch.3)

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:26 am

The new chapter was quite an enjoyable read. One thing I don't understand (although I don't mind) is why you replaced the Furinkan school uniforms with the To Love Ru uniforms.

Any idea who else will appear? Rito's classmates and other human acquaintances probably not, although some of the aliens will most probably turn up: Lala's suitors, Golden Darkness, Ren/Run, and Lala's sisters.

When will Lala find out about the curse? I have no idea how she'll react.

How about a Nodoka/Zastin romance? I'm sure Nodoka would find him quite manly, especially since Genma's run away.
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:43 pm

I changed the uniform because things worked out that way. Ranma 1/2 starts in the latter half of the eighties and ends in the middle of the nineties, and while no real time passes in the series I needed some time to pass for Lala's arrival to work, especially in some regard to technology, so I went with the mid nineties since the manga canon does place the setting around that time more than once (with one example being quite early in the series, which was probably published in the eighties in real life). Things kind of snowballed from there and I had an easier time finding words to describe the new uniform, as well as think of more situations where it could be used/exploited. Then, of course, I tried to think of how many stories actually have the uniforms changed, and I sold myself on the idea. XD;;

All of the aliens up until Gid's arrival will appear. I don't recall ever seeing the nurse at Furinkan, so I figure I can get away with making her a certain To Love-Ru character who's integral to Yami's presence. I thought about adding Saki and her two friends/followers, but I figure it wouldn't work out since it would have been in her character to make herself known way back when Akane was being attacked every morning at school. There's no role of significance that I can think of aside from guest appearances in regard to Rito, Kenichi, Haruna and her friends, so I'll probably leave them out. If I planned to write beyond Gid's arrival, Yui would have been doable. Same with Oshizu. And while I love Celine, I doubt it's the kind of gift that Lala would give Ranma for his birthday. What I definitely regret is that Mikan won't be in the story... Y_Y

You can get an idea of how Lala will react to the curse by how she treated Rito as a girl, and to an extent how she treated Ren/Run. I reckon she'll find out by the end of the next chapter or so. I haven't planned it out to where I know where the chapter will end, so it could be the chapter after that. But it won't be too much longer.

There definitely won't be a Zastin/Nodoka romance. XD She's married and (as far as I can tell) a traditionally loyal wife. Though that's not to say that there won't be a certain something that will happen... for comedic purposes. Sorry, I can divulge what it is. ;p
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:02 pm

You can always replace Saki with Kodachi, no?
And that's the bottom line 'cause Dumbledork said so.

Dumbledork 3:16
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby Makoto » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:I changed the uniform because things worked out that way. Ranma 1/2 starts in the latter half of the eighties and ends in the middle of the nineties, and while no real time passes in the series I needed some time to pass for Lala's arrival to work, especially in some regard to technology, so I went with the mid nineties since the manga canon does place the setting around that time more than once (with one example being quite early in the series, which was probably published in the eighties in real life). Things kind of snowballed from there and I had an easier time finding words to describe the new uniform, as well as think of more situations where it could be used/exploited. Then, of course, I tried to think of how many stories actually have the uniforms changed, and I sold myself on the idea. XD;;

Does the Ranma timeline have to be rooted to the 80's, though? Especially if you want to make it work with another series...

Crescent Pulsar R wrote:There definitely won't be a Zastin/Nodoka romance. XD She's married and (as far as I can tell) a traditionally loyal wife. Though that's not to say that there won't be a certain something that will happen... for comedic purposes. Sorry, I can divulge what it is. ;p

So, you are going to divulge what it is. I see. (nods) :mrgreen:
Still alive, but failing miserably at dodging Real Life.
My webpage has returned! http://www.fdnest.com/~makoto/
My Fanfiction.net profile: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1473284/
Makoto
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Crescent Pulsar R » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:10 pm

I figure the year is fairly interchangeable, depending on the author's needs. But I think it's pretty safe to set it in the early to mid nineties since such years are mentioned/shown two or three times. And in one story Ranma and Hinako are playing Street Fighter 2 (at the very least), which came out in '92 for the Super Famicom.

I will divulge it in the story, of course. ;p

Dumbledork wrote:You can always replace Saki with Kodachi, no?

I've thought about it. But I haven't been able to think of a catalyst that would motivate Kodachi into transferring to Furinkan. After all, if being in the same class as Akane and Ukyo doesn't do it, then what would?
Crescent Pulsar R
Crystal Power Senshi

Return to Stories and C&C