Rurouni Ranma, chapter six

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Rurouni Ranma, chapter six

Postby DarkFyre99 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Yay! Fukufics is kinda back! And here I was getting worried.
As always, C&C and ideas would be greatly appreciated. This might be a little bit rougher than normal, since the story took a right turn when I was expecting it to hang left. :D
Previous chapters of this story can be found starting at:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2791056/1/
And now, on with the show...
(oi... this is a long chapter...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rurouni Ranma
by DarkFyre99
Disclaimer: Ranma ½ does not belong to mine. It is the creation of Takahashi Rumiko. Characters from other anime or manga, appearing in this fanfic, are also not mine. This includes, but is not limited to, Sailor Moon. This fanfic is not done for profit, but for fun.
Chapter Six: “No Need for Amateurs”
“I think I’m beginning to understand how Ryouga feels,” Ranma grumbled as he stepped off the train, adjusting his backpack so that it sat more comfortably on his shoulders. This trip had had far too many detours already. First, he had taken the train to Yokohama. From there, he’d taken a ship to Okinawa. After staying a few days there with the family of yet another fiancée, he’d taken another ship to Kagoshima. Eventually, he’d arrived at Kyoto... by way of Hiroshima, Okayama, and Kobe. He was also down to the last of the clothing he’d brought: black jeans, a gi top, and a red undershirt that Ogawa Chikako had acquired for him: it was woven in such a way that it acted like a sports bra in his girl form without looking like one in his guy form. Where Yohko’s friend had learned about a tailor that specialized in clothing for the “variable gendered” was anyone’s guess.
“Well, at least I’m finally here. Let’s see if I can find this place where my fiancée is stayin’.” At least Granny Madoka had been correct. The girl’s grandfather had been very understanding about the whole mess. The old man had requested that he go to Kyoto to help with the girl’s training. Given how the Panda had screwed over the girl’s family, Ranma wasn’t about to deny the old man’s request. “Fortunately, I’ve got this.” He looked at the address again, and went looking for a street map.
After a quick search, he stepped out of the terminal, and into the old Imperial capital. Hopefully, he’d get a chance to do some sightseeing while he was here. “Hmm... accordin’ to this, I should take a right turn right about...” He blinked at the sight of a panicked crowd bearing down on him. “Shit... first day here, and there’s already trouble.”
He leapt onto one of the streetlights, out of the path of the crowd, and looked further up the street. Not seeing anything, he jumped from the streetlight to a nearby roof. An explosion a couple of blocks away was the biggest clue to where the trouble was. Running along the roofs and jumping across the narrow streets below, he headed for the sounds of screams, gunfire, and explosions.
“What the hell? Did I take a wrong turn at Tokyo Three or somethin’?” In the wide street below, a giant was bearing down upon several uniformed men. About six meters tall, the thing was an amalgam of metal and flesh, and it carried a huge axe. The giant, oily looking smoke coming from within its steel hood, seemed to ignore the gunfire from the policemen as it advanced. A swipe of the axe sent one of the parked cars at the police, crushing one of them into a bloody smear when he failed to dodge in time. “Shit.”
Ranma hit the quick release on the straps of his backpack, allowing it to fall to the roof behind him. He summoned his katana, invoking his transformation as soon as it appeared in his hand. Cloak billowing behind her from the breeze coming off the lake, she raised her hand to point at the sky. Summoning her power, she swept her arm down and pointed at the armored behemoth, calling out, “Verdant Beam!”
The emerald beam of energy sprang towards the monster, stabbing it straight between its shoulder blades. The creature staggered forward a step, and then turned around to look up at Ranma. A spotlight on the armored hood swept up the side of the building, blinding Ranma briefly. Sensing an attack, she jumped down to the street moments before the roof exploded.
“Ah, crap!” A second giant stepped around the corner, leveling the cannon it had recently fired in her general direction. Ranma detached her cloak, and tossed it one way, as she dodged the other. The damn thing tended to get in her way, and with a little luck and a bit of magic, it should distract the things briefly. She winced as a second explosion tore up the street behind her.
Readying herself for an iaido cut, she landed on the side of the building nearest the axe-wielding monster. A third jump sent her straight at the thing’s left flank, taking the battle to the iron-clad giant. She drew the katana in a blindingly fast draw cut, and...
‘What’s that old sayin’ about pain?’ Ranma thought as consciousness returned, ‘Oh yeah, it let’s ya know you’re alive.’
“Try not to move. You’re lucky you’re still alive,” a woman’s voice said.
“Ungh... did anyone get the name of the truck that hit me?” She opened her eyes, trying to sit up despite the pain.
The woman kneeling in the rubble was one of the prettiest girls Ranma had ever seen. Her long black hair was tied back into a ponytail with a big red bow. She wore a short pink jacket with long tails, trimmed in gold, over a white body suit. The end of a white scarf peeked out from the collar of the jacket, and a wide leather belt circled her slender waist. A sheathed katana lay beside her on her left. “It was a wakiji that hit you.” She tried to keep Ranma from sitting up. “Oh, do lie still. You’re lucky to be alive.”
“I’ll be alright... it just caught me by surprise,” Ranma assured the girl, groaning as she stood up. A pink colored mecha knelt beside them. The five-meter tall “robot” was vaguely humanoid, consisting of two arms and legs attached to its massive, barrel-shaped body. It had no head to speak of, though a camera and a spotlight we were mounted in two tracts in the middle of its body. Steam drifted out of the four exhaust pipes that extended from the massive structure on its back. The open hatch at the top of the mecha made it seem more like a walking tank than any mecha she’d seen in an anime. A massive sword was gripped in its fist.
Two similar mecha, colored violet and navy blue, engaged the two wakiji. Any similarity to a walking tank vanished when seen in motion. The violet colored one had engaged the first giant, wielding a mecha-scaled naginata skillfully against the axe-wielder. Ranma was surprised by the massive battle aura the mecha produced. She really wasn’t expecting to sense ki coming from it.
The second mecha was shooting at the second wakiji with its own hand cannon. The giant staggered back as the first shot ripped its left arm off. Two more rounds tore into its head and chest, killing it. Like the first, it also emitted a massive battle aura. Ranma was also surprised by how its ki wrapped around the rounds it fired. She really didn’t expect to see something like that outside of kyudo.
“Sakura, if the girl is alright, get back in your Koubu,” another woman’s voice boomed from dark blue machine. “The Commander reports that three more wakiji are on their way.”
“Right away, Maria!” Sakura shouted back. “Are you sure you’re alright?” The girl started when Ranma’s armor vanished, leaving her clad in a gi top over oversized black jeans and a red under shirt. Behind Sakura, the violet colored koubu disemboweled the other wakiji, leaving behind a mess of fluids, flesh, and iron.
“I’ll be fine,” Ranma said, tightening the belt of her gi. “I was just surprised to find out that some spirits are cloaked in flesh and steel.” She flared her battle aura. Seeing Sakura staring at her, she smiled then shrugged. “Ya learn somethin’ new every day, I guess. Go on. I’m fine.”
The girl in the pink jacket nodded, and then climbed up to the koubu’s hatch. She waved as she dropped through, closing the hatch behind her. Another massive battle aura surrounded the pink koubu, as Sakura’s mecha rushed after the other two, skimming along the ground on jets of steam.
With a groan, Ranma sunk back to the ground, dropping the useless pyrotechnics in favor of healing her injuries. “So much for my big Kyoto debut.”
Carrying only her sword, Ranma stopped at the address she had been given. Given the scaffolding, cranes, and busy construction workers, the place was obviously undergoing some kind of renovation. The large sign facing the street read, “Imperial Theatrical Troupe, Hanagumi... currently undergoing reconstruction.”
“The Flower Division, huh? I wonder what happened.” She glanced at the piece of paper, and back at the building. “This seems to be the place.” She smiled, walking down the path towards the main entrance to what was obviously a theatre. ‘I wonder if my fiancée is an actress here.’
Opening one of the doors, she looked around the lobby. Closing the door behind her, she called out, “Hello? Anyone here?”
“Excuse me? Miss? The theatre isn’t ready to open yet. Can I help you?” A woman in her mid-twenties approached, wearing a modern-style kimono. The woman’s brown hair was styled in a manner that reminded her very much of Tendo Kasumi’s.
Ranma bowed to the woman. “Hi, I’m Ranma. Could you tell me if I’m at the right address?” The redhead handed her address to the brunette.
The woman didn’t bother to glance at the address. “You are at the right place, Ranma. We’ve been expecting you... though I could’ve sworn I was told you were a boy...”
Ranma shrugged. “Ancient Chinese curse. Hot water’ll change me back to a boy.”
“Oh.” She pulled out a small walkie-talkie out of a hidden pocket of her obi. “Tsubaki, would you go to the kitchen and bring some hot water to the lobby? Thanks.” The woman bowed to Ranma. “I’m Fujii Kasumi. If you need anything during your stay here, feel free to ask me, Tsubaki, or Yuri.”
“Nice to meet you...” Ranma trailed off as three women entered the lobby. One she recognized immediately. She doubted there was anyone else in the city with that particular pink jacket and white body suit. The other two women wore similar outfits, though their jackets were violet and navy blue rather than pink. Ranma was willing to bet that like Sakura, their jackets matched the Koubu they piloted. ‘These girls have “sentai team” written all over them.’
Sakura was the shortest of the three, despite being of average height. The girl in the pink jacket, upon seeing Ranma, smiled and waved. Her companions’ reactions, however, killed Ranma’s impulse to wave back.
The woman in the dark blue jacket was clearly not Japanese, though she had some Asian blood in her. The shorthaired blonde towered above the other two. The woman appraised her with a single, ice blue eye. Her other eye was hidden by the long bangs that covered most of the left side of her face.
The pilot of the violet Koubu, on the other hand, was Japanese. A tall and slender beauty about Ranma’s age, the girl’s short brown hair brushed her shoulders. She also had a small beauty mark under her left eye. The girl took one look at Ranma, and sneered, “What is she doing here?”
An older man’s voice spoke up behind Ranma. “Sumire, Sakura, Maria... I would like to introduce you to Ranma, formerly of the Saotome clan. Ranma, allow me to introduce you to Kanzaki Sumire, Shinguji Sakura, and Maria Tachibana, three of our Koubu pilots.” Ranma turned to face the new speaker. The middle-aged man wore a rumpled business suit. “Ranma will be staying with us for a little while. As for myself, I am Yoneda Ikki, Commander of the Hanagumi.”
Sakura smiled as she bowed, while the blonde, Maria, merely nodded. Sumire graced Ranma with a scathing look, “You have got to be kidding me.”
‘It’s probably too late to make a good impression, but what the hell…’ Ranma bowed. “It’s a pleasure to meet you all...”
“Hey! You must be Ranma! Gramps told me all about ya.”
Ranma turned towards the new voice, and looked up... and up... and for good measure looked up some more. “Woah... now that’s what I call a lot of woman.” ‘Smooth, Ranma... real smooth. And I thought Maria was tall.’ “I take it you’re Kirishima Kanna?”
“Yeah,” Kanna admitted, grinning. “Real kick in the teeth, ain’t it? I saw Tsubaki getting a kettle of hot water in the kitchen, so I figured you’d arrived.”
Sumire’s sneer didn’t leave her face. “I should’ve known that you’d know this child, Kanna. She certainly has your taste in clothes.”
Two outraged voices said, “Hey! What’s wrong with my clothes?” Ranma and Kanna looked at each other, and laughed. Kanna, who had clearly been working out, wore a gi top over a loose red undershirt and black, floral-patterned tights.
Sakura stepped forward, still smiling. “Is she a friend of yours, Kanna?”
Kanna gave an embarrassed laugh. “Friend nothin’, he’s my fiancé.”
This earned an aristocratic laugh from Sumire. “Oh, Kanna. I’ve always said you’d make some lucky woman a fine husband someday... but I never expected for you to take me literally.”
‘Wow, compared to Kodachi, that laugh almost sounded normal.’ Ranma smirked. “At least she has a fiancé. Do you, granny?”
“Granny?” Sumire whirled on the others, as if daring them to laugh.
“Good one, Ranma!” Ranma staggered forward a step from Kanna’s pat on the back. “I could get to like ya, kid.”
Smiling, Maria said, “Kanna, why didn’t you tell me you were engaged? Especially to a girl?”
“Well, you see...”
A girl around the same age as Ranma, Sumire, and Sakura interrupted Kanna, wearing a laborer’s traditional uniform and carrying a teakettle. “I’ve got the hot water, Kasumi.”
“Thanks, Tsubaki,” Kanna said, taking the kettle from the girl. “Mind if I do the honors, Ranma?”
“Go ahead.” Ranma bowed her head as Kanna poured the hot water over her.
“What is she, a plant or... what the hell?” Sumire took a hasty step back.
Ranma heard a click behind him, and his danger sense went off the scale. Turning his slowly head, he saw that Maria had a pistol pointed right at his head.
“Kanna... I think you’ve got some explaining to do.”
“Woah, Maria,” Kanna said, stepping between Ranma and the tall blond. “It’s cool. It’s just a curse Ranma picked up in China.”
“Very well.” The statuesque foreigner returned her pistol to its place in her jacket. Ranma wasn’t the only one to sigh in relief.
“Now that that’s straitened out, perhaps we could continue this conversation in my office?” Commander Yoneda said. “I have some things I’d like to discuss with Ranma, as well as the Hanagumi.”
As Ranma and the four women followed Commander Yoneda, Kasumi spoke up, “Um... Ranma?”
“Yeah?”
“Where’s your luggage?”
Ranma laughed sheepishly. “It kinda got blown up by a wakiji after I got to Kyoto.”
(AN: possible spoiler warning. I tried to keep this as neutral was possible, but if you don’t want to risk the Sakura Wars TV series being spoiled, skip the next eight paragraphs.)
Ranma leaned forward, resting his elbows on the desk. “Okay... let’s see if I got this straight. About four hundred years ago, a demonic invasion of Kyoto was stopped, though it destroyed much of the city in the process. The souls of the people slain weren’t able to rest, and became evil spirits themselves. Every so often, these spirits awaken and try to destroy Kyoto. Right?”
Ranma and the others were in the Commander’s office. He sat with Sakura on chairs in front of the commander’s desk. Maria chose to lean against a wall beside the door. Sumire sat on a couch beside one of the other members of the Flower Division, a cute twelve-year-old blonde-haired French girl named Iris Chateaubriand. The kid seemed very shy, and had the disconcerting habit of addressing her bear instead the others. Sub-Commander Fujeda Ayame, a striking woman in her mid thirties, stood behind the Commander’s chair. Kanna sat on the other couch beside Captain Ohgami, the tall man with a military bearing who was the Hanagumi’s field leader.
Commander Yoneda nodded. “That is correct, Ranma. Ten years ago, during the last Kouma war, one of my comrades became disillusioned with the efforts of the government towards the defense of Kyoto. After all, the anger of the spirits is actually directed towards the government they believed sacrificed their lives, not Kyoto itself, and they eventually realize that the target of their revenge isn’t here. Stopping this evil here makes more sense than allowing it to reach Tokyo... especially given what they would do to the countryside in on the way.”
The Commander paused, then flipped on the intercom on his desk. “Kasumi, is there any sign of Kohran?”
“No Commander. You know how she gets sometimes when she’s working. I’ll go get her, even if I have to drag her in by the ear.”
“Thank you. Anyways, Yamazaki created a new plan for the defense of the Old Capitol: the Koubu. These mecha would amplify the spiritual energy of their pilots, making them that much more effective against the Kouma. The government didn’t go for it initially. They felt that the Anti-Kouma Squad, made up of very skilled martial artists and talented spiritualists, was adequate for the defense of Kyoto. It wasn’t until after Sakura’s father sacrificed his life, by using holy talismans to stop a giant Kouma, that certain men of wealth and power outside the government decided something more had to be done.
“Last year, a new incarnation of the darkness arose. The Blank Sanctum Council, led by a man named Satani, attempted to awaken the demon that started it all. The Hanagumi managed to destroy the Council, but the conflict damaged much Kyoto... including our headquarters here. They also developed the Wakiji, abominations of metal and flesh animated by the spirits of those slain in the initial Kouma war.
“It’s been four months since Satani was slain, and it seems that while the head of the snake was cut off, the body still lives.
(AN: Okay, it's safe to read now.)
"This is the third such attack in the last month, and the largest by far. They’re also getting more powerful. I understand that you’re here to continue Kanna’s training. I’m hoping that you’ll willing to include Sakura, Sumire, and Ichiro as well.”
Ranma opened his mouth, only to be interrupted by Sumire’s outburst. “Commander! You’ve got to be kidding me! What on earth could this... this amateur possibly teach me?”
“Amateur?”
“Sumire, that’s enough,” Commander Yoneda said. “I’ve done some research on Ranma, and he is a highly skilled martial artist. He’s one of the best in his generation.”
“Yeah, right. I saw this... she-male get swatted out of the air like a fly. Even Sakura was able to go toe to toe with a wakiji her first day here.”
“That’s probably because he was transformed at the time,” a new girl said as she stepped through the door. “Sorry I’m late, everybody. I kinda lost track of the time.” She bowed to Ranma. “Hi, I’m Li Kohran. Nice to meetcha!” The bespectacled girl smiled cheerily at Ranma. She was wearing green overalls, and had a streak of grease on one of her cheeks. Her purple hair was tied back in twin pigtails.
“Why would Ranma’s transformation be important?” Sakura asked, puzzled.
Kanna looked puzzled as well. “Transformation?”
Sakura grinned impishly. “Ranma seems to be a magical girl as well.”
“But Ranma’s a boy, isn’t that right, Jean-Paul?” Iris whispered to her bear.
“Woah! Cursed to turn into a girl, and you’ve gotta be one of those silly magical girls too?” Kanna laughed sympathetically. “Boy, some people have rotten luck, don’t they, Ranma?”
“So what do you mean, Kohran? Why would Ranma’s transformation be important?” Sakura asked again.
Kohran flipped over the blank, freestanding chalkboard in Yoneda’s office, revealing several complex diagrams. “Wakiji and Kouma are spirit creatures. Their powers are spiritual in nature. That’s why martial artists, and those with strong spiritual powers, are so effective against them,” Kohran explained, gesturing with a pointer at diagram resembling a circled star. “Ranma’s ‘magical girl’ powers are elemental-based, which is easily affected by spiritual powers.” She pointed at a second diagram, resembling a circled cross. “Ranma’s element is also Earth, which is easily destroyed by Water... which the wakiji and Kouma have an affinity for. So when transformed, Ranma is not only the wrong magical type to fight a wakiji, but the wrong elemental type as well.” Kohran nodded to herself, crossing her arms as she tapped her cheek with the pointer. “In other words, the wakiji can easily squash magical-girl Ranma like a bug.” Seeing a hand raised, Kohran pointed with her pointer. “Question, Ranma?”
“Yeah. I thought Earth was strong against Water, not weak.”
“Ah, that’s because you’re familiar with the Eastern model of elemental energy,” Kohran explained, flipping over the chalkboard to reveal several more diagrams. “The Eastern model is based five elements, related by generation and control. The Western model is based on four elements, related by opposition and destruction. The Kouma resemble the Western model far more than the Eastern one... because of their origins as the victims of a mass drowning.”
Kohran flipped over the chalkboard a third time, revealing a diagram which of a Koubu, a pilot, and a wakiji. “That’s why the Koubu’s power plant uses crystals saturated with elemental fire, and all of us Koubu pilots have strong affinities to air. The whole system is designed specifically to fight the Kouma.” She laughed. “We’d probably be an all you can eat buffet for a youma, like the ones they see in Tokyo. Any questions? Yes, Sakura?”
“How do you know so much about Ranma?”
“I’ve done my homework, Sakura,” Kohran said, nodding knowingly. “I’ve done my homework. Speaking of which, who’s your fiancé, Ranma?”
Kanna waved. “That would be me.”
“You have any interest in him, Kanna?”
“No, I already have a boyfriend...”
Several of the Hanagumi shouted out together, “What?”
Maria smiled. “Kanna, you and me are going to have a long talk. You’ve been keeping secrets from me. First a fiancé, and now a boyfriend?”
Kanna laughed sheepishly, rubbing the back of her head. “Well, he’s going to college in Tokyo right now, so I haven’t seen him in months. Kohran would like him... he’s a tech-head too. So, Kohran, why are you asking?”
The girl in green coveralls smiled. “Good. I wouldn’t want to poach or anything.” She began to walk towards Ranma, wearing an expression that he was far too familiar with. Unfortunately, the effect was weakened by her overall appearance. Bemused by Kohran’s failed attempt at a seductive walk, he allowed her to seat herself on his lap, one arm around her shoulders as she traced the edge of his gi with her right hand. “So, Ranma,” she said huskily, “Will you marry me? Please say no.”
Ranma wasn’t the only one to blink in confusion, as they attempted to parse what the Chinese girl had asked. Maria was the first to find her voice. “Ah, Kohran? I think you meant, ‘Please say yes.’ I know Japanese isn’t your native language anymore than mine is, but it’s been ages since you butchered a phrase that badly.”
Kohran laughed nervously. “Oh, yeah... that’s what I meant...”
“I would certainly hope so, child, because I would hate to think you’re trying to sabotage our agreement.” Kohran jumped at the elderly voice piping up behind her. The pointy end of the staff poking into her back, right between two of her ribs, may also had to have something to do with it. Captain Ohgami and Commander Yoneda winced as the girl plopped right back into Ranma’s lap.
“E-elder Cologne...”
The shriveled old woman looked sympathetically at Ranma. “I think you might want to get out of poor Ranma’s lap. He seems to be experiencing some discomfort.”
“Oh! Sorry!” The purple-haired girl jumped up and grabbed the glass of water sitting on the Commander’s desk, tossing it in Ranma’s face. “Here! That better?”
The damp redhead continued to wince. “No. That just shifts the pain to parts I prefer not to know I have...”
Kohran blushed, “Sorry.”
Cologne’s eyes narrowed dangerously. “It’s a pity you had to be so uncooperative, child. Especially since I went to all this trouble of getting a sample of Jusendo water for you. Since you seem to so bound and determined to sabotage what you agreed to, I’ll just take my leave, and return with the water to China.” She turned and began hopping on her staff towards the door.
Ranma spoke up. “Hold up, old ghoul. What agreement?”
Cologne turned partway around to look at Ranma. “In exchange for some of the knowledge of her ancestors, Kohran agreed to pursue you romantically. She obviously never intended to honor it... since she took the time to change out of that lovely cheongsam she was wearing, and putting on grease instead of makeup. If you don’t mind, I would like to spar with you before I leave. I want to see how you’ve progressed these last two months.”
Ranma smiled. “What makes you think she didn’t intend to honor it?”
Cologne blinked in confusion. “Huh?”
“As Kohran said, she has done her homework on me. You know damn well I’ve got a soft spot for tomboys, not to mention how successful Shampoo and her ‘charms’ were.” Ranma winked at Kohran. “I think she looks cute the way she is now... not to mention she’s obviously being herself.” Ranma grinned cockily. “Not to mention that I’m so contrary that when I get thrown off a cliff, I fall up. She really peaked my interest when she told me to say no.” Seeing the look on Kohran’s face, Ranma’s expression became a genuine smile. It was equal parts gratitude and peaked interest.
Cologne looked dubiously from Ranma to Cologne. “It could be as you say, and it’s nice to see you use that brain of yours for once... very well, I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt. But I would like to see what, exactly, the knowledge of the Amazons will be used for.”
Ranma looked around the room. “I don’t think you’re the only one.”
Commander Yoneda stared at the new addition to the mecha hanger beneath the Theatre. “When did we get a new Koubu?”
“This is my test Koubu, Unit 00. I had her brought over from what’s left of the Residential Branch once we got this part of the Theatre repaired. She’s such a good girl, letting me test my ideas on her before we implement them on the other Koubu.” Kohran rubbed her cheek affectionately against the orange Koubu. “Yes she is, yes she is.”
Ranma coughed politely. “Um... Kohran?”
“Huh? Oh, right. What I want those Amazon techniques for. As most of you know, right now the number-one problem we have is that the Koubu can’t channel all of our spiritual energy. The poor babies just aren’t equipped to handle it. The problem is most acute between Iris and her Koubu, and is barely within parameters between my Koubu and me.
“The number two problem is that the Koubu require a type of spiritual energy that is relatively rare, and most often found in women. Ordinary people can’t pilot them, and your average martial artist is lucky if they can get them to move. I’m hoping the information Cologne has will allow me to optimize the steam plant of the Koubu, allowing a wider range of users, and giving the pilots access to a greater amount of energy.”
Kohran walked over to her worktable, where blueprints and engineering diagrams were spread all over it. She looked like the proud parent of a child as she pointed at one of the diagrams. “With luck, I’ll be able to design a new generation of Koubu, one that can not only be piloted by more people, but allow the Hanagumi to use all their abilities. The key is using ki-reactive materials as actuators, rather than the current steam-driven pistons. When I was visiting Grandma three months ago, I read about all these different materials that would react to ki, such as fibers that expanded or contracted depending upon the type of ki. Fibers like that would make ideal artificial muscles.
She turned to the others, beaming. “I’m also hoping that by using elemental water from a source like Jusendo will not only increase the amount of energy released, allowing a much smaller steam plant, but remove the heavy fire aspect to the Koubu’s heart, allowing a wider range of spiritual types to bond with them. Combined with the ki-driven musculature and hopefully other ki-reactive materials, the end result will be a Koubu that is smaller, more powerful, better able to channel the pilot’s spirit energy, and more agile as well.”
Commander Yoneda smiled. “Kohran... that’s brilliant.” Everyone else nodded.
Li Kohran laughed nervously. “Thanks. I’m a genius, after all.” The group took a step back when a chibified doll of Kohran popped up on the girl’s right shoulder.
“You’re brilliant, Kohran,” proclaimed the doll with a letter ‘A’ on its coveralls.
“You’re the best, Kohran,” echoed doll ‘B’ as it appeared on her opposite shoulder. The two laughed along with Kohran, causing the assembled group to sweatdrop.
“Kohran-san has been watching too much Tenchi Muyo. Isn’t that right, John-Paul?” Iris whispered to her bear.
Back at his office, Commander Yoneda continued his meeting. “Thank you for showing us what you’ve been up to, Kohran. Since we seem to have an extra Koubu, we should have Ranma pilot it...”
Kohran interrupted. “Sorry, Commander, I can’t let you do that.”
“What?”
“You’re forgetting something important. The Koubu have a heart. It’s the emotional bond between a Koubu and its pilot that makes it so powerful. This Koubu is bonded to me... and it wouldn’t be fair to the Koubu for it to bond to Ranma, just to see him leave in three months. Don’t worry though, I think I have a mecha for Ranma to use while he’s here. This anti-terrorist organization, Mithril, has become concerned about all the paranormal activity lately, and they’ve expressed interest in seeing if I can adapt some of the Koubu’s systems with modern mecha technology. Give me a week to finish the prototype and integrate it into the system of this mecha I bought, and I’ll have a mecha Ranma-san can use.”
Maria smiled. “I think I should ask for a raise.”
Yoneda, however, was puzzled. “Where did you get the money to buy a mecha? Even an older ArmSlave runs at least a hundred-million yen.”
“From Sumire’s father.”
Sumire blinked. “What?”
“They actually contacted him about this project,” Kohran admitted, “And he contacted me about it. I thought it might be fun, so he gave me a bunch of money for the research. I couldn’t afford a modern ArmSlave, of course, but I got a bargin on something even better.”
“Right,” the Commander said as the room sweatdropped. “Which brings me to our last topic for the meeting. The Ministry of the Arts has just approached me, and they have a request for our next play. There is apparently going to be a major world summit here in Kyoto in about three months, and they would like for us to put on a presentation for the visiting dignitaries. Maria, I was hoping you’d work your magic on Ranma, and have him ready in time to participate in the production...”
Maria’s response was drowned out by Sumire’s outraged shout. “What? You don’t expect us to work beside that incompetent, do you Commander?”
“Of course I do. Furthermore, I expect you all, especially you, Sumire, to treat Ranma better than you did Sakura, when she first arrived here.”
“Jean-Paul says that Ranma’s a boy, and our troupe is a girls’ troupe,” Iris said.
“Yeah, but Ranma has that curse that turns him into a girl, kiddo.” Kanna said, smiling.
Ranma looked dubious. “I remember what happened to the last play I was in. It wasn’t pretty.”
“Don’t worry, Ranma. It’ll be fun,” Sakura reassured him. “Hard work, but fun. So what play were you in?”
“Romeo and Juliet.”
“Ooh, Shakespeare,” Kanna said, giving Sumire a superior look. “I’ll bet you were the leading man, weren’t you?”
“One of them.”
“Huh?”
“A couple of the others who wanted the role of Romeo turned up during the play, and we fought over the role.” Ranma smirked. “For a few minutes, I played Juliet as well, and somehow we ended the play with Snow White. Thankfully, the judge thought it was a comedy.”
A tumbleweed drifted through Commander Yoneda’s office as the Hanagumi stared at Ranma. Their attention was recaptured by Yoneda’s cough. “Right. Anyways, Ranma won’t be the only new face for this play. Several other young ladies will be participating in the play as well...
Sumire’s outraged outburst interrupted again. “What? Look, Commander, we have no need for amateurs in this acting troupe,” she proclaimed, pointing accusingly in Ranma’s general direction.
Ranma sweatdropped. Sumire wasn’t pointing at him, but at...
Kanna leaned over to Maria and stage-whispered, “You don’t think Sumire’s still holding a grudge over Sakura getting the lead in Cinderella, do you?” She smiled as Sumire sweatdropped and adjusted what she was pointed at.
Maria whispered back, “Sumire? Hold a grudge? Never.”
“As I was saying before I was rudely interrupted, several other young ladies will be participating in the play as well, so I expect all of you to welcome them. That goes double for you Sumire. The play is Sleeping Beauty, a musical version based on the Disney film. It’s also in English, so those of you who don’t speak English, or speak it very well, are going to be spending some time with a tutor. I know Maria is fluent in English, and so is Kohran, but what about everyone else?”
“-I speak English. Doesn’t everybody, John-Paul?-” Iris asked her bear in English.
“-Everyone intelligent, at least,-” Sumire said with a haughty expression.
“-My Engrish speak no so good. Better at understanding, I am,-” Ranma said.
“Great... as if I don’t have enough schoolwork,” Sakura said, depressed. The Commander had hired a tutor for her and Iris after they won the last Kouma war. When would she ever use algebra, anyways?
Kanna gently slapped Sakura on her shoulder, “Looks like you, me, and Ranma are gonna be study-buddies,” she said, beaming at the pair. “Come on, it’ll be fun.”
Having gone unnoticed at the back of the room, Cologne spoke up again. “Now that that’s settled, I’d like to test my former student. Would one of you show us to the dojo?”
At one end of the large room that served as the theatre’s dojo, Cologne looked around at the luxurious surroundings. “Very nice. I’ve got to wonder about including a wall-sized mirror in a dojo, however.”
“It doubles as a dance studio,” Yoneda explained. “Do try to avoid damaging the place, will you?”
“Very well. Let’s keep this purely physical for now, alright Ranma?”
Ranma nodded before he assumed a ready stance at the other end of the room. “Ready when you are, Cologne.”
“Very well. Sakura-chan? At your signal?” Cologne asked the dark-haired kendoka as the girl walked forward from the others to take her position at the center of the dojo.
“Well, this is going to be interesting,” Sumire said, disinterested. “A fight between an old-woman and the amateur there.”
“Sumire, I think I speak for all of us when I say, ‘stuff it where the sun don’t shine,’” Kanna said, her attention fully on the coming fight. Iris giggled at her use of language.
“Yeah, yeah... Ranma’s good. I’ll believe it when I...” Sumire blinked when Ranma and Cologne vanished moments after Sakura’s hand dropped. Slightly left of center, on Ranma’s side of the hall, was a blur of bodies as Ranma and Cologne fought each other. She blinked again when five seconds after the fight began, Ranma went flying, embedding himself upside down in the expensive oak paneling at Cologne’s end of the “dojo.” The young man dropped head first to the floor, dazed.
“Oops. Sorry about that,” Cologne apologized. “I was expecting him to evade that last throw.” She watched as Ranma recovered. “Unfortunately, I was expecting this deterioration of your skills, Ranma,” Cologne said, shaking her head.
“Wha?” Ranma asked intelligently.
“You’ve been training hard under Mano Madoka, in order to master your new powers. Correct, Ranma?”
“Yeah...” he said uncertainly.

“Then it’s to be expected. You can’t maintain your fine edge in martial arts without constant practice, Ranma. Surely you noticed the difference in ki between Yohko and her cousin. Before she gained her powers, she probably had as much ki as Ayoko. In mastering her Devil Hunter’s powers, her ki abilities atrophied. She probably has no more ki than any other casual martial artist... she simply makes up for her lack of ki by using her own powers.”
Ranma nodded warily. ‘Great... I guess she’s been watching me all this time.’
“You have what appears to be a Champion transformation. Quite frankly, it will take you a lot of hard work to reach the point where your own powers exceed those innate to your transformation. Even then, what you gain of your elemental powers won’t match what you lose of your ki abilities.
“It’s up to you of course, but I think it would be a pity to waste the last fifteen years of your life by continuing to develop your elemental powers. Strength like yours is rare among ki-users, Ranma, because unlike other magical abilities, they need to be developed. You aren’t simply born with them. Take a look at these girls. They all abandoned their martial arts training to learn acting and piloting their Koubu about the time when their sensei should’ve pushed them to the next level. Of course, it turned out to be fortuitous from what Kohran said about the Koubu’s ability to handle their pilot’s energies, but it’s still a pity.”
Ranma smirked. “So, what are you sayin’, Old Ghoul.”
He smiled when she bopped him on the head with her staff. “Keep your focus on your martial arts. Practice your Champion’s powers, of course, but don’t bother developing anything beyond your innate abilities. You’ll find more uses for your finely honed ki abilities than your own elemental powers. Especially considering how many people you’ve offended these last few years.” Cologne grinned wickedly. “I’ll be keeping my eye on you, student. As for you, Kohran,” She turned that grin on the purple-haired girl, “Take ‘son-in-law’ to all you can eat restaurants. It’s easier on the wallet.” She winked at the pair before hopping out of the hall.
Commander Yoneda Ikki watched as the young ladies under his care, plus Captain Ohgami, walked out of his office to watch Cologne spar with Ranma. Moments later, he sensed another presence in the room with him. He smiled warmly at the woman who was seated where Ranma had been sitting moments before. “Hello, old friend. Fancy seeing you here.”
The woman smiled warmly back. “It has been a few years, hasn’t it, Ikki-kun?”
“About twenty. You haven’t aged a bit.”
“Flatterer.”
“So, what are you up to this time? And how bad is it going to be?”
“I’m hoping to cut off a potential problem, rather than solve an existing one. I’m sure you’ve noticed that your charges don’t play well with others.”
The Commander smiled sheepishly. “They are all talented actresses. An ego tends to come with the job. Of course, some of them are worse than others.” He sighed. “A lot worse.”
“The problem isn’t unique to your group, Ikki. It has to due with talent. I’m hoping that with this little experiment of mine, I can sow the seeds of fellowship between some of our local groups of talent. At least so that when the time comes, they’ll be fighting the common foe and not each other.”
Yoneda looked at his guest worriedly. “How bad is it going to be.”
“Bad, but it’ll be worse if they don’t cooperate with each other, but we have years before we need to worry about it. I’m hoping this little experiment will bear fruit. Forming an acting troupe of the Hanagumi was quite ingenious, and not just for developing the type of spiritual power you need. Desperate battles fought against overwhelming odds often form close bonds, but nothing like that is coming soon, so we’ll just have to make do.”
“Then the Wakiji attacks aren’t a prelude for another round of the Kouma war?”
“No, just a few stragglers from the previous one. We have at least five years of relative peace to prepare for the next big one... and it’s a threat to the whole world, not just one city.”
Yoneda smiled as he pulled out two shot glasses and a bottle of fine whiskey. “Good.” Pouring the alcohol, he handed one glass to the woman sitting across from him before toasting her with his. “Here’s to forging friendships through the fine arts. May we never have to form them through battle again.”
Tendo Kasumi carefully ladled a bit of the broth from the soup, tasting it to make sure the flavor was right. She tossed in another pinch of salt, stirring the mixture before replacing the lid to allow it to simmer.
Strong arms wrapped around her, and warm lips kissed the side of her neck. “Smells good,” Kamiya Kenji whispered. “And I’m not talking about supper, ‘Sumi-chan..”
She leaned backwards into the embrace of her fiancé. “Are our fathers still arguing over which family name we should take, Ken-chan?”
“Hai. Father thinks that because Akane is the heir to the Musabetsu Kakuto Tendo-ryu, you should join my family. Tendo-san believes that since you are the eldest daughter, you should carry on your family name. They’re both being quite stubborn about it.” Kasumi smiled as his grip on her waist shifted upwards. “Do you have any...”
“You pervert!” Akane’s shout interrupted Kenji’s question. The man staggered forward, pushing her towards the stove. She arched her back, barely keeping them from falling onto the stove and being scalded by hot soup. She turned around to stare at her fuming sister, who was staring daggers at the stunned young man on the floor.
“Akane!” This was getting old... not to mention dangerous. Kenji had moved in two weeks ago, and had replaced Ranma as Akane’s punching bag. She could only imagine what Akane’s reaction would be when they took their relationship to the next level.
“He was molesting you, oneechan!” Akane shouted defiantly at her.
“He’s my fiancé, Akane. He has every right to ‘molest’ me.”
“He doesn’t own you, oneechan! He doesn’t have the right to...” Akane’s rant was interrupted by a stinging slap.
Kasumi lowered her hand. “Go to your room, Akane. I’m too mad to deal with you right now.” She turned her back on youngest sister, knelt, and gathered her fiancé’s head into her lap. She ignored the sounds of her sister’s sobs as she ran out of the kitchen crying. She easily followed her sister as the girl fled to her room.

“Your sister has quite the left hook. That she does,” Kenji muttered, all swirly-eyed.
“I’m so sorry about this, anata,” Kasumi said, tears gathering in her eyes. “This is all my fault.”
“How is it your fault, ‘Sumi-chan?”
“I should’ve stopped her when she started taking swings at Ranma. Now it’s a reflex to lash out at those who anger her.”
Kenji sat up, turning to face his fiancée. “I would say that it is your father’s fault. He is her father, and her sensei.”
“I see Akane has struck again. Some martial artist you’re turning out to be, Kamiya.” Nabiki said, leaning against the doorway of the kitchen. She smirked when her attention turned to her older sister. “Did you break your hand, sis?”
“It’s fine, Nabiki. I understood why Ranma let Akane hit him, but why do you, Ken-chan?”
Kenji finished examining the growing knot on his head. “It’s not a matter of ‘let,’ Kasumi. I don’t know why, but every time she blows her lid, I’m paralyzed for a few seconds... which is more than enough time to get clobbered. It reminds me of this technique I’ve read about, ‘The Spell of Frozen Terror.’ The swordsman used their ki to immobilize their foes, giving them time to strike first...though it could be overcome if your ki was stronger.”
Nabiki continued to smirk. “Hardly seems sporting.”
“It was an assassin’s technique.”
Nabiki laughed, “You mean Akane has stumbled upon an assassin’s trick to punish those she sees as perverts?”
“Yes. Fortunately, she can’t seem to use it consciously, just when she’s angry. She is quite good at it, though.”
“Thank goodness for small favors. I got the mail here, oneechan. Most of it is bills and junk mail, but you might want to give this letter to Akane after you talk with her. Just let her stew for a while first.”
“Oh? Who’s the letter from?”
Nabiki reread the return address. “The Imperial Theatrical Troupe of Kyoto, Flower Group.”
“Suitcase?”
Mano Yohko zipped up her suitcase with a flourish. “Check.”
Her friend, Ogawa Chikako, nodded as she made a mark on her clipboard. “Ranma’s things?”
Yohko checked the strap on the dolly loaded with boxes. “Check.”
“Sexy lingerie?”
Yohko looked down her blouse. “Check.”
“Condoms?”
Yohko opened her purse and looked. “Check.”
“Train tickets to Kyoto?”
Yohko grabbed the tickets, her smile widening. “Check.”
“Devil-hunter apprentice?”
Kanzai Azusa, watching the whole scene from Yohko’s bed, rolled her eyes as Yohko pointed to her and said, “Check.”
“Video camera?”
Yohko picked up a leather case and slung the strap over her shoulder. “Check.”
Chi sweatdropped. “I was just joking on that one, Yohko-chan.” She consulted her checklist. “Looks like you’re ready to go.”
“Yatta! Kyoto! Here I cum!”
The three walked down the stairs of the Mano family home where the two older generations of Mano women waited. Sayoko was grinning as widely as her daughter, while Madoka looked resigned. “Ready to go, honey?”
Yohko nodded. “Yep. We’ll see you in a few weeks, Mom,” she said as she gave the older woman a hug.
“I don’t suppose I can talk you out of this trip, Yohko?”
“Nope. I’ve got this little problem, and I want Ranma to be the one to fix it for me.” She frowned at her grandmother. “If you had bothered to tell me earlier, maybe this trip wouldn’t be necessary.”
“All right, dear. I guess you’re old enough to make your own decisions. Just be careful, alright?”
“Don’t worry.” She grabbed her suitcase and the dolly with Ranma’s stuff. “Ready to go, Azusa?”
“Ready!”
“Great! Good bye!” Yohko waved as she and Azusa hurried out the door.
“Bye Yohko! Have good sex!”
Madoka pinched the bridge of her nose. Her daughter was the only mother she knew who would send her daughter off to a distant city with a phrase like that.
Jino Misaki smiled as she opened the front door of her house. “Minako-chan! Keiichi-chan! Rika-chan! You’re here!”
Aino Minako returned the enthusiastic embrace. “Glad to be here, Auntie Misaki.” She stepped back as her father embraced his sister, followed by a more reserved greeting for her mother. “Is Grandpa here?”
“He arrived this morning. He’s in the family room.”
“Right!” Minako vanished.
Aino Rika tried to keep her expression neutral. It wasn’t that she didn’t care for her in-laws. It was just that she didn’t like that they tended to be rather...
“Grandpa!”
“My little Minako-chan! It’s been far too long!” There was a brief pause. “I see your bust has developed quite a bit.”
“Grandpa! Stop! That tickles.”
... perverted.
“Grandfather Aino...”
“Oh, how can you deprive an old man of greeting his beautiful granddaughter, Akira?”
Rika smiled as her long suffering partner entered the room, carrying her five year-old nephew Ichiro. As two relatively normal people who had married into the Aino clan, Jino Ichiro also hoped that their children would grow up to be a little less like their parents and the rest of the Aino clan. There was hope after all. She’d heard that the son of Nodoka, the middle Aino sibling, was almost stable.
She smiled when Keiichi’s arm draped itself over her shoulder, and guided her towards the family room and the “emergency Aino clan meeting.” Marrying an Aino did have its advantages, and Keiichi was always quite affectionate, and quite inventive in bed. If only he’d restrain those impulses in public...
Aino Minako grinned as she sat down at the family table. This was the first year she wasn’t banished with her cousin to the living room, but was invited to participate in a family meeting like an adult. Her Auntie Misaki was seated beside her Uncle Akira, prepared to take the minutes of the meeting, dressed in a conservative office lady’s suit with a pair of wire glasses perched on the end of her nose.
Her Auntie didn’t need glasses, but Minako knew her aunt loved to cosplay. The woman had quite a few costumes in a hidden closet in the basement. She even had a Sailor V. She’d just have to find a discrete way to tell her aunt that contrary to rumor and certain doujinshi, the Sailor uniform did indeed include...
Her Grandfather interrupted her thoughts. “This meeting of the Aino Clan has now come to order. As we all know, we have my wayward grandson to track down. About two months ago, Ranma came to his senses, and cut all ties to that bastard I have the misfortune to call a son-in-law. Nodoka-chan has yet to show similar good sense, and remains married to the man.”
Jino Misaki nodded. “I wonder why. Maybe its because of that rumor I heard about why names of Saotome men include the kanji for ‘horse’ in their names.” She winked at Minako. “If he’s really in Kyoto, Minako-chan, maybe you can confirm that rumor.”
As a dreamy smile crossed Minako’s face, her uncle spoke up. “Misaki!”
“Yes, anata?”
“Remember rule #5?”
Misaki blushed. “ ‘I will not give perverted ideas to the children.’ ”
Minako smiled broadly as she blushed as well. Family meetings were fun!
“I don’t see what’s perverted about that,” her father said, a puzzled expression on his face. “I mean, cousin sex is the best kind, right?”
Her mother sighed as another dreamy smile crossed her daughter’s face. “Keiichi, dear?”
“Yes, honey?”
“Rule #5.”
“Sorry. Minako-chan, please ignore what I said about cousin sex.”
Minako’s shoulders drooped in disappointment for a second. “Okay! Does that mean I can have my own harem?”
Rika exhaled a long-suffering sigh. “No, honey, you can’t have your own harem. Polygamy is illegal in Japan.”
“Darn.” Rika pretended not to hear when her daughter muttered about how that would change when her friend Usagi ruled the world. She honestly didn’t know where Minako got some of these ideas. The rest she knew Minako got from her father, grandfather, and aunts. “I can still go to Kyoto and be in that play my agent landed for me, right Mom?” Minako turned up the cute puppy-dog eyes.
“Yes dear. Now, remember, when you go to Kyoto, try to find Ranma-kun. He shouldn’t be nameless because of that worthless father of his. Your auntie and uncle Jino agreed to adopt the boy, since we found out that Ranma-kun has a bad reaction to cats.”
“Besides, this way Ranma won’t be your brother,” Misaki added with another wink. “That would be a little weird.”
“Misaki?”
“Yes, Rika-chan?”
“Rule #5.”
“Sorry.”
The demon was ancient and powerful. He regarded the country he desired with envious eyes. ‘Soon... these puny mortals shall know the terror of Lord...’ His evil musings were interrupted by a knock on his castle door.
Oozing down the stairs, past souls that were being tortured by his minions and succubi and incubi practicing their arts upon each other, he answered his own front door. He may be an evil demon of lust and terror, but he liked to think he was a good neighbor. Besides it just might be a certain neighbor of his, so why should his butler have all the fun?
He opened the door, and revealed... her. She was as beautiful as ever. His many eyes wandered their way from her dainty feet up her slender calves, to the slits of her strange robe that showed hints of smooth thigh. The belt showed off her slender waist, while the top of her robe left her shoulders, and a generous amount of bosom, bare. Her long hair was piled high on her head, baring her slender neck. She smiled pleasantly at him as she dangled a glass measuring cup from her manicured index finger.
Not for the first time, he wondered what such a lovely specimen of human female perfection could’ve done to deserve being placed this deep in Hell... let alone avoid being one of the many tortured souls here. He shook his slimy head. What a waste.
“Hello, Te-chan. Could I borrow a cup of honey? It’s the anniversary of my Lord’s death, and I thought I’d make his favorite desert.”
“Does it involve coating yourself in honey so he can lick it off? And if so, can I have a taste?” Several tentacles escaped from beneath his decaying robes. “My tentacles are always willing.”
“Sorry, but no. But it does sound intriguing. I’ll have to tell my Lord about your idea.” She smiled impishly at him.
The Dark One suddenly became nervous. One of these centuries, he’d learn to keep his big mouths shut. Either that, or he’d let his butler do his job. The reason why this woman wasn’t a tortured soul down here... she was the beloved of someone really dangerous.
“I’ll go get you that honey.”
“Thank you. My Lord is usually quite irritable when this day approaches, and I’d hate to have him upset over something so trivial.”
The Bane of Maidens became even more nervous. Oh, why oh why did such a glimpse of sexual perfection have to come with so high a price? Maybe if he offered her Lord a gift, he’d leave him alone and allow him his conquests. He looked at the small measuring cup, then at the large pitcher of honey in his pantry, and sighed. Handing the pitcher to one of his best retainers, he said, “Take this and follow me.”
He could sense the outraged fury of his retainer, after all, the man was a warrior and not a porter, but the guy respected power, and the Slimy One had power to spare. It was good to remind the help about who was in charge here.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t him. “Here’s your honey, my dear. Please, take this pitcher, since I have more than enough to spare. In addition, may I introduce you to Maul? He’s a recent acquisition of mine, and I’m afraid I’m not putting him to good use right now. Perhaps your Lord can make better use of him?”
“Why, thank you Te-chan. I’m sure my Lord will remember your generosity. Maul-san? Would you please follow me?”
The man’s burning eyes stared out from the demonic tattoos on his face. “Why?”
“Because I can’t carry that heavy pitcher myself. Besides, you look like someone my Lord would appreciate.” She said as she walked across the Plains of Skulls. “Come. What have you got to lose?”
Carrying the pitcher of honey, Maul followed the woman he had just been given to. Given how his previous master had cringed at the thought of her Lord’s displeasure, maybe he at last found a worthy Master.
Meanwhile, Maul’s previous Master, depressed over the loss of yet another retainer, resumed his plans for global domination. Unfortunately, on the world he wanted to dominate lived one Lina Inverse. His dreams of conquest, and his demonic life, ended with one Dragon Slave.
The paramour stepped gracefully through the door of the Citadel of Maul’s new Lord. She was met by several guards and a man who Maul assumed was his Lord’s major domo. The man scowled at the gorgeous woman. “Just where have you been?”
“Oh, just picking up a few things. Could you be a dear and take the honey to the kitchen?”
“I am not your servant!”
“Fine, be that way. Oh, Saoko-chan!”
A succubus appeared, dressed as a French maid. “Yes, my lady?”
“Would you be a dear and take the honey to the kitchen?”
“Of course, my Lady.” The female demon gave Maul a wink as she slinked from the antechamber, her tail accenting the sway of her hips.
“Maul-san? Would you please follow me?”
The major domo shouted at the woman Maul was following. “Hey, I’m not finished with you yet!”
She didn’t even turn around. “Yes you are. Now, you can either stay there, or attend our Lord. I don’t care which.”
“Useless wench. I don’t see why he keeps you around.”
“I’ve noticed. Now hush... you know how our Lord hates it when we argue. So... how did the Wakiji test go?”
“Like you care...” the man trailed off as he saw his Lord and Master staring at them in disapproval. He watched with displeasure as the infuriating woman swayed up and took her customary seat by his side. He could never see what his Lord saw in that walking accessory.
“So... what you have you brought me today, my dear?”
“My Lord, meet Maul. He seems as competent as the other two I managed to pry away from our oh, so eager to please neighbor. Maul, may I introduce...”
Her own voice trailed off as the man knelt reverently before her Lord. “No need. I would recognize my Lord anywhere. What is thy bidding, my Master?”
“Just get acquainted with your fellow warriors and the citadel for now. Once I know what you’re capable of, we’ll talk about your duties.”
The tattooed warrior stood and bowed, before leaving the throne room. It was only after Maul had closed the door behind him that his Lord asked, “So... how did the Wakiji test go?”
“As predicted, the Wakiji were annihilated by the Hanagumi. They may only be women, but they are skilled, and powerful within their machines. The Wakiji did managed to destroy one of those silly magical girls around, so we may want to keep a few around as backup. I doubt any of these women and their machines are a matched for one of your soldiers, my Lord, let alone your new warriors.”
“Excellent. Send a signal to my man in Kyoto... tell him its time.” The true Lord of this part of Hell leaned forward eagerly. “Tell him that in three months time, Kyoto will be mine... or it will burn.”
Ranma blocked the blow with her crossed forearms, allowing its force to slide her backwards across the dirt circle. Panting, she asked, “So, what do you think?”
The giant of a man looked down upon his opponent, amazed at the strength of this slip of a girl. “I don’t know, Ranma. Your first question is truly out of my depth. I am a monk after all. Even when I had abandoned the Path, I never sought out the pleasures of a woman. My vice was far more destructive. Based upon what I have read in the Sutras, however, I would have to say that as long as you don’t let lust control you, you should be fine.’
Having allowed the girl to catch her breath, the giant monk resumed his attack. “As for your second question... I must say you certainly have unique problems. Just remember that your cursed body is just as sacred as your birth body, so respect it, but avoid allowing it to rule you. Learn from it, for it certainly allows you to see Reality in a way that few but the oldest souls do: from both the male and the female points of view.” Feeling blows rain down upon his back, he admired the girl’s speed.

Ranma had to break off her assault on his spine and kidneys as his massive forearm nearly smashed into her face. Instead of sending her to the ground, he felt his ankles kicked out from under him. He rolled quickly to his feet. “As for your third question, there are many thoughts on that, but the best advice I have to give you is this: if you kill someone, it represents a failure: failure to find the right path. Killing someone is never the right thing to do... but sometimes it may be necessary. If you want to do what’s right, do not follow the path of the Warrior. The warrior’s path is one ruled by necessity. No matter how good your intentions, your hands will be stained with blood. Sometimes I fear that mine will never come clean.” He eyed the exhausted girl before him. “I think we’re done here.”
“Hai, Lord Monk.” Ranma stripped off her gi top and grabbed one of the buckets of water nearby, emptying the contents over her head. “Ah, that feels good.” As she began to stretch, she asked another question. “So, why did Sensei call you ‘the Timeless Monk’?”
The Timeless Monk sat down beside her, taking a sip from the ladle in one of the other buckets. “Because I’ve been here a while. I remember Sakura-chan from when she was an orphan who had been placed here under my care. Hard to believe, isn’t it?”
“Not really. I know people who are a lot older than a hundred years old. Most people don’t learn how to manipulate their ki until they’re a lot older physically than you are.”
“If I’m doing this on my own, I must be doing it unconsciously. I figured that Lord Buddha had a task for me that required me to hang around for a while.” He turned and looked at the youthful faces peeking out from behind some bushed. “Children, it is far past your bedtime. Go to bed right now.”
“But... Lord Monk?” Several of the children whined.
“GO TO BED RIGHT NOW!” The children screamed and ran to their beds as a full-fledged demon-head erupted from the girl sitting beside him. Seeing him laugh, she brushed one of her wet bangs out away from her face. “Honestly, Lord Monk. If you’re going to scold them, do it right. You’ve got to make yourself an ogre if you expect them to take you seriously. It might sound crazy, but you’ve got a kind face... is something wrong?”
“No... it’s just that for a moment, you reminded me of a girl I knew in my youth.” He smiled. “I guess its good to know she’s well.”
Ranma gave him an odd look. “Don’t forget, I’m a boy and a confirmed lesbian.” This earned another chuckle from the huge monk. As his laughter died down, they both heard the sirens of several police cars. “I wonder what’s up?” Seeing the intent stare of the monk, Ranma asked, “Lord Monk? What’s wrong?”
“There’s something very wrong, and very evil, happening nearby. We had better check it out.”
“Right.” Ranma put back on her gi top. “We’d better hurry.” A fire truck, siren blaring, passed by the temple.
The pair ran after the lights and sirens for about a good distance, which stopped in front of a sleazy looking nightclub. The Monk walked up to one of the police officers,. “Officer Yamada?”
The young woman turned around. “Ah, Anji-sama. Is there a problem?”
“That’s what I would like to know.”
Another police officer emerged from nightclub. “Yamada-san, would you please... Ah, Anji-sama. Just the man we’re looking for. I think you’d better see this.”
“Thank you. Come along, Ranma.”
“Um... Monk Anji? I really don’t think you want to expose a young lady to this.”
“Don’t worry about it, Officer. Ranma’s made of stern stuff.”
The two followed the policeman into the nightclub. As she took her first good look at what was inside, Ranma stopped in horror. The nightclub had been turned into a charnal house. Dead bodies lay scattered upon the floor and on the furniture. Many of them had been ripped apart. Some still gripped automatic weapons, and lines of bullet holes meandered across the walls... and sometimes the ceiling.
Swallowing against her nausea, Ranma followed Anji and the police officer across the bloody floor. “This is a known Yakuza hideout, Anji-sama,” the officer said, “but we’ve never seem them fight like this. The sheer... savagery of these attacks seems beyond human.”
“Don’t underestimate the savagery humans are capable of, Officer.”
“Yeah. It looks like these people were killed with some kind of polearm. The wounds are too ragged for a katana, and they weren’t shot, that’s for sure.” The policeman looked at Ranma in surprise. “There’s no signs of claws or bites either. Besides, demons have an entirely different aura that what I feel here. Is this what you wanted him to see, Officer?”
“No... it’s this way.”
The police officer led the two of them into the back room, where a diagram had been scorched into the wood. Dominating the diagram was a single kanji: the one for ‘truth.’
Next Chapter Teaser:
Hey, -censored- here. I'd just to lodge my complaints about the author's pathetic attempts to be mysterious. My name is perfectly fine. -censored-'s name is also quite good... and you could probably recognize her by description alone. I only hope the author is as verbose during the fight scenes.
Let's not forget that -censored-'s name probably could've been used without giving away anything. I doubt anyone would remember him anyways...
My Lord -censored
DarkFyre99
Senshi Cadet

Postby DarkFyre99 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:33 pm

Darn it... it cut off the very end...
Next Chapter Teaser:
Hey, -censored- here. I'd just to lodge my complaints about the author's pathetic attempts to be mysterious. My name is perfectly fine. -censored-'s name is also quite good... and you could probably recognize her by description alone. I only hope the author is as verbose during the fight scenes.
Let's not forget that -censored-'s name probably could've been used without giving away anything. I doubt anyone would remember him anyways...
My Lord -censored-, how could you say that? Have I not -censored-? What about all the work I did -censored-, -censored-, and -censored-.
NOW CUT THAT OUT!
Well, anyways... turn in next time for "Dueling Divas," the next chapter of Rurouni Ranma.
Author’s Notes: Yes, Sakura Wars take place in Tokyo, in an alternate “steampunk” universe set circa 1920. I’m transporting them to contemporary Kyoto (the old capitol), because I needed the story set in Kyoto, because Tokyo would get crowded with all these groups based there, and because their technology isn’t quite so out of place in the present. The Koubu are still steam driven, though.
It’s also amazing how my best laid plans fell apart in the face of the enemy... in this case an enemy that showed up completely uninvited. I guess sometimes you really can’t see them coming. I guess I just set myself up for a lot of fighting prose... plus a lot bigger cast than I expected. *sigh*
DarkFyre99
Senshi Cadet

Postby nuclear death frog » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:19 pm

Hypothesis:
The mystery woman is Komagata Yumi; her lord is Shishio Makoto.
The character for truth (Makoto) was the symbol of the Shinsengumi -- by burning Kyoto, Shishio must want to make some ironic commentary on the Shinsengumi not being around to protect Kyoto; the original reason the Shinsengumi were formed was ostensibly to keep peace in that city, but they soon took the duty of hunting down the Choushuu Ishin Shishi and others who were fighting the feudal government.
And the monk is Yuukyuuzan Anji.
I'd comment on the 'Sakura Wars' addition but frankly I know nothing about that series. So I can't say anything about it, one way or the other.
nuclear death frog
Senshi Cadet

Postby Innortal » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:06 pm

Very believable work. I didn't spot much in the ways of errors, but I loved the interplay with family for the Aino clan. It makes a very weird kind of sense.
Can't wait to see how this plays into Setsuna's nightmares. LOL
Innortal
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby J. St.C. Patrick » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:00 am

Nicely done. Liked the Aino family gathering.
Very clean G&Sp - save the following:
“Now that that’s straitened out, perhaps we could continue this conversation in my office?” Commander Yoneda said. “I have some things I’d like to discuss with Ranma, as well as the Hanagumi.”

straightened
Kanna sat on the other couch beside Captain Ohgami, the tall man with a military bearing who was the Hanagumi’s field leader.

a
“This is my test Koubu, Unit 00.- .... Kohran rubbed her cheek affectionately against the orange Koubu.

There's not a man with a chin beard and glasses, steepling his fingers around somewhere there is there?
“Excellent. Send a signal to my man in Kyoto... tell him its time.”

it's
looking foreward to the next chapter
Director of Forum Arts and Culture
The King of... Stuff
The Ever Ubiquitous
J. St.C. Patrick
Moon Cat Advisor

Spelling & Grammar

Postby MacShimi » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:14 am

The section
“but we’ve never seem them fight like this. The sheer... savagery of these attacks seems beyond human.”
should of course have the word seen in the place of seem.
If you must play, decide on three things at the start: The rules of the game, the stakes, and the quitting time.
-- Chinese proverb
MacShimi
Senshi Candidate

Postby Shadow Wolf » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:37 pm

“Kohran-san has been watching too much Tenchi Muyo. Isn’t that right, John-Paul?” Iris whispered to her bear.

The bear's name is "Jean-Paul" - it is a French bear, after all.
Shadow Wolf
Senshi Candidate

Postby Dragon Man » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:19 pm

nuclear death frog wrote:Hypothesis:
The mystery woman is Komagata Yumi; her lord is Shishio Makoto.
The character for truth (Makoto) was the symbol of the Shinsengumi -- by burning Kyoto, Shishio must want to make some ironic commentary on the Shinsengumi not being around to protect Kyoto; the original reason the Shinsengumi were formed was ostensibly to keep peace in that city, but they soon took the duty of hunting down the Choushuu Ishin Shishi and others who were fighting the feudal government.
And the monk is Yuukyuuzan Anji.
I'd comment on the 'Sakura Wars' addition but frankly I know nothing about that series. So I can't say anything about it, one way or the other.

I agree, the part about Anji seems pretty acurate at the very least. And if it is Shishio I'm eager to see him fight Ranma, Sakura, or Yohko. Ranma for the pure challenge of a master swordsman, the girls to see how they compare.
I like Kohran's approach to getting Ranma, she's had the most success besides Yohko to date. I just hope when they meet they can get along.
Minako's family is scary, I can easily see Nodoka being related to them.
Very nice. I'm eager to see Akane's arrival at the theater, it should be interesting to say the least. With all the magical girls/martial artists in the building I fully expect the play to be crashed by some villain.
Speak quietly, pilot a big mech.
No matter how many times you rebuild, Tokyo keeps getting destroyed in a massive fireball.
When in China, listen to your tour guide.
"Stay with the Master Chief - he'll know what to do." - Sgt Johnson, Halo 2.
Dragon Man
Asteroid Senshi

Postby ranger5 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:30 am

Nice. But did I miss a chapter or two?? Last thing I saw with Ranma leaving Yohko??? If I did miss something where are they posted.
As to this chapter. I liked it a lot. Good build up for what is likely to come. Especially liked the meeting with Ranma and Kohran Li.
ranger5
"It's better to hit with a .22 than miss with a .45."
ranger5
Senshi Cadet

Postby DarkFyre99 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:57 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and corrections of errors. I'm glad to see I didn't make too many, but as the saying goes, it helps to get fresh eyes.
Just make sure you hide the bodies well. :twisted:
ranger5:
You didn't miss a chapter. Ranma did indeed leave Yohko last chapter. Alas for poor Ranma, Yohko and a few other strong willed (and in some cases well armed) young women he's well aquainted with (including his blonde first cousin) are descending upon Kyoto and the Imperial Theatre of Kyoto, Flower group.
And they just rebuilt the place, too. :lol:
DarkFyre99
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dragon Man » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:34 pm

DarkFyre99 wrote:You didn't miss a chapter. Ranma did indeed leave Yohko last chapter. Alas for poor Ranma, Yohko and a few other strong willed (and in some cases well armed) young women he's well aquainted with (including his blonde first cousin) are descending upon Kyoto and the Imperial Theatre of Kyoto, Flower group.
And they just rebuilt the place, too. :lol:

Dragon Man wrote:With all the magical girls/martial artists in the building I fully expect the play to be crashed by some villain.

As I said earlier, I doubt the place will survive. The question is will it be the girls or a monster attack that destroys the theater?
No matter how many times you rebuild, Tokyo keeps getting destroyed in a massive fireball.
Dragon Man
Asteroid Senshi

Postby ranger5 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Heck, the monsters/demons may just sit back, buy/steal some pop-corn and watch the fun as the girls go wild.
ranger5
"It's better to hit with a .22 than miss with a .45."
ranger5
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dragon Man » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:38 am

ranger5 wrote:Heck, the monsters/demons may just sit back, buy/steal some pop-corn and watch the fun as the girls go wild.

Possibly, at least until a stray or deflected shot hits one of them. After that it's every demon/magical girl for its/herself!
Dragon Man
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Anime_Freak317 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:01 am

I think it's getting a little out of control with this story. The problem most writers have is when a bunch of anime/manga get into the mixes. So far, I see DHY, SM, SWars, R1/2, and the title was indicating TM. Be careful on future chapters.
Bringing Akane back into the Ranma-verse I feel is a mistake, but then that's the opinion of an anti-Akane fan/writer. Unless of course she is being set up to be bashed big time in the play. That would be a sight to see. 8)
JoT is on hold..again. Legal issues and work modes have been incresingly harsh. Chapter is 25% done. Sorry.
Tear of the Lone Wolf P( :cry:
Anime_Freak317
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Drawde » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:21 pm

I hope it DOESN'T turn into Akane bashing. It's getting rather boring seeing so many fics, and suggestions for fics, being "let's see how stupid we can make Akane".
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Next

Return to Stories and C&C