No Need for Destiny: Chapter 2

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Should I end the chapter here or add more?

End it here.
8%
End it here.
8%
End with them meeting Washu.
25%
End with them meeting Washu.
25%
End with Washu giving up her baby.
17%
End with Washu giving up her baby.
17%

Total votes : 24

No Need for Destiny: Chapter 2

Postby Innortal » Tue May 09, 2006 9:31 am

No Need for Destiny
Chapter 2
No Need for an Education

Disclaimer: I don’t own this series or any other series. I am just floating an idea. I am making no money, nor plan to, off this venture. If you think of suing me over this, then grow up.
I would like to first personally thank all of those reviewing my stories. I enjoy reading your comments, and try to correct the grammatical errors I miss with my final read-through as well as my spell checkers. The suggestions you all make will help make this story better for everyone to enjoy, as well as allow my to fix some plot holes I may unintentionally leave. If you find any, let me know, and I will correct them and repost the chapters.
Nabiki took a moment to wonder at the throne room of the mysterious Emperor of Jurai. It reminded her of some ancient Greek and Egyptian rooms, with high marble columns, ceilings decorated with murals, and the wealth of plant-life that seemed to blend perfectly into the scenery, as if it was made to do such.
Though considering they had held Ranma captive with what looked like little more than branches and vines no thicker than her arm, she didn’t discount the possibility.
When they stopped before the throne, which had the man she assumed was the emperor sitting; she couldn’t help but notice it had two other chairs next to it, empty for the moment. The man was tall, his face shaved to have a goatee to match his blue hair, covered in elegant robes.
Not that she got to see too much, as the guards forced her and Ranma to their knees.
“Kneel before the lord of the Jurai Star Empire; Emperor Mikado Jurai!”
Ranma did as they forced him to do, Nabiki having told him to do such. She wanted to try and handle this, hoping the emperor was at least more intelligent and open minded than their captors.
Though he felt very nervous of the one bit of their history she changed to better suit a cover, he had to admit it might offer the other more protection should things go that way.
Mikado sat in his throne, looking at the two before him, surrounded by guards; most of whom he noticed appeared to still be slightly injured. Amazing fighters they must be, to do such to the Royal Guard. “What are the charges?”
General Fuji Sukai stood, immediately recognizable to Nabiki as the blowhard who refused to actually fight, his uniform looking too new and clean to indicate he had ever experienced true battle, bowed and spoke. “We found the intruders within the Royal Gardens. When we stopped them, they attacked. We believe they are assassins,” he proclaimed.
“Like hell,” muttered Ranma, wishing he didn’t give his word to Nabiki to stay quiet and not jump them. The guy just screamed “beat me” to his senses, like a male Kuno.
“And what do you two have to say?” asked Mikado.
“May we stand to offer our story, sir?” asked Nabiki, trying to sound as formal as possible.
“Like worthless assassins as yourselves deserve such niceties,” spat Fuji.
Nabiki turned her face slightly. “I was addressing the Emperor, unless you feel yourself better than him to answer such a request.”
“Why you—”
“Enough!” bellowed Mikado. “You two may stand,” he motioned. “Now explain why you were within the Royal Gardens.”
“Thank you,” Nabiki said, standing up with Ranma. “Sir, the tale we have to tell may seem as if we are mad, but trust us that we do not lie.”
Seeing him nod, Nabiki continued. “First, may I ask if you have ever heard of a planet called Earth?”
The Emperor considered her words for a moment. “It is possible. Though if the planet you are referring to is what I believe, it is within a protected area of this galaxy due to its developing nature as an empire all its own.”
Nabiki nodded, but internally, she was happy. If they knew where Earth was, then maybe they could send them home. “About ten days ago, my companion was dragged into a forced fight by the Grandmaster of a martial arts school they both belonged to.”
“May I ask why?”
Nabiki nodded. “My companion has a curse that changes him to a female gender when splashed with cold water, and returns him to his birth form when splashed with hot water. The Grandmaster in question is a huge pervert, wishing to partake in large amounts of perverse activities with this form, and was most upset that Ranma would not let him. As such, he dained it “justified”,” she spat, “to use a spell on him, which I was also caught in. That is how we ended up in your Gardens.”
“A likely story,” said Fuji.
Nabiki only gave him a glare.
“I asked for silence, General Sukai, while they explain themselves,” said Mikado. “Do continue.”
Nabiki nodded. “When we arrived, we had only what gear my companion carried with him at all times, and thus tried to survive until we found a way home. When he detected a large amount of people in this direction, we set off to find them with hopes of learning more of what fate befell us.”
“If so,” said the Emperor, “then why did you attack my guards?”
“They attacked first,” said Nabiki.
“LIARS!” cried Fuji, as he grabbed his sword. “I shall teach you to defile the name of my command!”
Before Mikado could stop him with a command, the man dashed forward, his rage and fears of being found out forcing him to act. Killing them would hold his career back a bit, but he would still achieve his ambitions.
Sadly, he forgot that Ranma was still faster than he, even handcuffed as he was, and caught the sword with one hand, before it was even close to Nabiki.
Smirking, his foot shot out, snapping into the General’s chest, and sending him skidding along the floor; only the Emperor’s hand raised prevented the other guards from attacking.
“I don’t mind if you attack me, moron,” spat Ranma, flipping the sword and holding it by the hilt. “But Nabiki ain’t a fighter, and I ain’t gonna let you kill her just because she’s telling the truth.”
With a mental command, several branches shot from the walls, encircling the stunned man, even wrapping themselves around his mouth to ensure his silence. Turning back to the prisoners, he bowed. “Forgive the interruption and do continue.”
Nabiki let out a breath she hadn’t known she was holding, glad once again Ranma was there to protect her, and reminding herself to erase some of his debt when they returned home. “Very well. As you can see, my companion was able to hold them off for a while, until the overwhelmed him with numbers. Had he not reacted so quickly when they attacked, my remains would no doubt still be on the forest floor.
“In fact,” she said, slowly turning to the bound General, “they seemed most intent on our slaughter, and did not try and capture us until those floating logs arrived.”
The Emperor nodded. He turned to the remaining guards. “I want the truth from you now, and do know that I have ways of finding out if you lie. Is what the young lady said true?”
One guard gulped before stepping forward and assuming a submissive pose. “We were informed that the assassins had already killed several members of the guard, and that we should take no chance with them. We were then told to capture them after an intense battle.”
“And under whose command did those orders and the information come from?”
“General Sukai, sir.”
Mikado’s face turned dark, as he slowly looked towards the struggling figure still bound before them. “GUARDIANS!” he yelled, as two logs faded into view, floating on either side of the Emperor.
“You summoned us?” said the logs in unison.
“Interface with the gear the soldiers have used, check for alterations to the memory, and reconstruct the battle.”
“Checking...” they said, before they turned back to face him. “Several data sequences have been altered. Currently the reconstructed data shows that General Sukai attacked without provocation or warning.”
“What do you have to say for yourself?” he asked, as a vine slowly unwrapped around the man’s head.
“These are all lies,” yelled the man. “These are nothing but outsider tricks to discredit me, my Lord!”
Nabiki snorted. “So sad that you must make up exploits to make yourself appear the better, instead of doing those exploits in reality.” She turned to him. “You made no move to fight until those logs arrived, and even then, held back to the rear.
“You are nothing more than a coward who seeks to make a name for himself on the backs of innocents, claiming it a conspiracy when you are found out.”
Ranma chuckled. “Next he’ll proclaim I’m a foul sorcerer, and that I’m keeping his true loves from proclaiming their feelings for him.”
“Trash like you doesn’t deserve to set foot on Jurai!” spat Sukai, trying to free himself.
“Take him away,” growled the Emperor. “I will deal with him later.”
Fuji paled, turning towards the Emperor. “But sir, it was all for you!” he pleaded.
“Self serving interests are only for the self, no matter how hard they try and justify it,” said Nabiki, taking the sword from Ranma as he began to try and balance it on the tip of his nose. “You were only doing things because they suited you and your xenophobic views, nothing more, and nothing less.”
“I SHALL HAVE MY REVENGE!” shouted the man as the guards dragged their disgraced leader off to the dungeons.
The Emperor shook his head. “I had hoped that we were moving away from such shallow attitudes.”
“Don’t feel too bad,” said Ranma. “No matter where you go on Earth, you’ve always have some idiots that feel their way is the only true way.”
The Emperor nodded. “True, but by Tsunami, I felt we were passed the worst of such barbaristic ideals.”
Shaking his head, he motioned for the remaining guards to free them. “Come; tell me about your travels and yourselves. We have such little information on Earth; it would be nice to learn of what it has to offer.
“But first, let’s get you two cleaned up and checked out. If this is a new world for you, it would be best to ensure you carry no diseases that we would be unused to.”
Nodding, Nabiki motioned for Ranma to follow, not seeing him place the sword in his subspace pocket.
Never knew what he might be able to get for it when they got back home. No doubt it would go a long way to paying off his debts. It was hardly even used.
Ranma stared at the food laid out before them, drool straining to be allowed to flow.
Only Nabiki’s commands keeping him from eating as he normally did.
“Ranma, this is royalty, and you will not embarrass us by acting like you do at home. That means no speed eating, no drooling, no stealing food, and no to anything else you normally do at the dinner table!
“Or so help me I will ensure your parents engage to the Kunos in both forms!”

So, Ranma shook his head, forcing himself into the Soul of Ice, lest he be engaged to Ms. Poison and Mr. Grabby.
Soon, the Emperor came in. “I must apologize that my wives could not be here tonight, but they are away on royal business.”
“Excuse me,” said Nabiki. “Wives?”
He nodded. “Yes, citizens are allowed polygamous relationships here in the Empire should they choose.”
Ranma paled, hoping to hell that little bit of knowledge wasn’t true in whatever developing Empire included Earth.
Nabiki nodded. “I apologize. It is just that most of Earth’s cultures support monogamous relationships.”
“I see,” said the Emperor. “Was that always true?”
Nabiki shook her head. “No, but that was usually due to the fact that almost all cultures tend to put the male gender above all else, rather than a need for the flow of love.”
“Very sad that it was such,” said Mikado.
Nabiki nodded. “It is only within the last century that things have shifted towards the equalization of rights between men and women.”
“Excuse me,” interrupted Ranma, “but how exactly is it that we’re all speaking the same language?”
Mikado chuckled. “The wonders of the gifts from the Goddess Tsunami: all on this world can understand each other. Off world, we have universal translators.”
Ranma sighed. “And Dai said that sort of stuff couldn’t be real,” he muttered, wondering what else he had seen on that television show about a bunch of people wondering through space could be true.
Nabiki hid her surprise that Ranma had asked an intelligent question. That fact had been bugging her as well. It just wasn’t possible that everyone in the universe spoke Japanese.
“Anyway,” said the Emperor, as the servers began to hand out the portions of the dishes, he held out two tablets to each of the visitors, “we’ve completed the scans, and each of you appears to be very healthy.”
“That’s good,” said Nabiki.
“Though Mr. Saotome does seem to be suffering the effects of malnutrition from early on in his life.”
“Ain’t that the truth,” said Ranma. “Worthless fat panda,” he muttered.
“I see,” said Mikado, sensing how the boy felt about whomever had allowed his nutrition to be so distorted. Whichever parent did this to him shall feel Jurai’s wrath, if it were my choice. “Don’t worry, son. We have several treatments available for that to correct it. You’ll be fully healthy in a few days.”
Ranma blinked. “Really?” he asked. Maybe my girl form will grow taller too. It sucks being smaller than everyone. His mind quickly started a small fantasy of him towering over a chibi-Akane.
“Now I’m even a taller girl than you!”
“Not that we are not grateful for your assistance,” stated Nabiki, “but why would you be willing to help us so much?”
Mikado nodded. “Well, why normally we would have no problems with doing this, considering how you were treated upon your arrival, I must confess I do hope that my charity will provide a benefit in the long term.”
“Let me guess,” said Nabiki, “it has to do with Ranma.”
“Yes.”
“PANDA NO BAKA!” screamed Ranma. “What’d he sell me for this time?”
“Excuse me?” stared Mikado, as Nabiki began to rub her temples.
“My old man’s always selling me to save his own furry ass, so what’d he sell me for this time?”
“I see,” said Mikado. Well, I guess we know one parent who gets to see how the vacuum of space feels. “No, child, I was referring to what we discovered about your ancestry.”
Nabiki looked towards him with curiosity. “Such as?”
“Well, we’ve discovered Ranma’s grandfather was the missing heir to Seniwa.”
“Come again?” said Nabiki, as Ranma stared, not believing that someone was after him to give him good news.
“Seniwa is a major corporation empire that spans many systems and is a large competitor against us in terms of power and influence.”
“Um, wouldn’t that make us enemies?” said Ranma.
“Normally, yes,” said Mikado, “but before he disappeared, Misaka Kuramitsu was in the early stages of beginning negotiations with the Empire. Three hundred years ago, he disappeared. Since he was the only living member remaining of the family, the running of the company fell to the Board of Trustees.”
“Okay,” said Nabiki.
“Our spies have long believed that this Board was also responsible for his disappearance. With Ranma here living proof that not only was he still alive, but that another heir has arrived, Ranma here stands to inherit all of Seniwa.”
“And how much is that?” Ranma asked, idly eating his meal.
“Take a look,” motioned Mikado, as a wall flickered, changing into a view screen, which showed the galaxy divided, one area highlighting the Jurai Empire, and the other highlighting the Seniwa holdings.
Nabiki sputtered, her drinking having been spit out of her mouth in surprise, and covering Ranma, changing him to a her.
“Gee,” said Ranma, grabbing a napkin and drying herself off, “thanks.”
“Ranma’s owns all of that?” gasped Nabiki, pointing to the screen.
“Yes,” said Mikado, still surprised at actually seeing Ranma’s change, despite having seen the medical reports on it, as even their computers could offer no explanation for it.
Nabiki took several deep breaths, ignoring Ranma’s muttering about not wanting a second shower today, before she spoke. “That .., that’s a lot.”
“Yes, quite the find in your fiancé, huh?”
Nabiki nodded, forgetting that they had decided to be called fiancé and fiancée in the woods to further earn sympathy, should the locals be more uptight than Akane when it came to the relations between men and women.
“And what’s this got to do with me?” asked Ranma, finishing wiping down what she could off the provided clothes. And these felt nice too. Not a bad fit, either.
“Well,” said Mikado, “since they’ve taken over, they’ve become more aggressive, and I fear they seek to take what others have merely for their own personal gains.”
Nabiki shook her head, clearing out thoughts of exactly how valuable Ranma was now, to focus on the issues at hand. “So you wish Ranma to reassume control and stop them.”
“Yes, but not quite,” said Mikado. “I wish his permission to arrest his Board, and allow them to be tried for the attempted murder of his grandfather.”
“And how do you know he’s my grandfather?”
“Does this face look familiar?” asked Mikado, as the screen showed the image of a blond man.
Ranma stared a bit. “I know that guy.” Seeing Nabiki’s stare that suggested he was bullshitting, he continued. “Mom had that picture in the house before it was destroyed. Him and grandma disappeared a few months before the training trip. Pops apparently threw a fit because it was delaying the training trip.”
Nabiki nodded. “So as the last living relative, he can give you authorization to “clean house” so to speak, so he can resume control of the business and rebuild relations with your empire.”
“That is correct.”
Nabiki nodded. If she was going to be stuck with Ranma, it would be best that the company he now owned was friendly to him, and thus her.
Of course, playing devil’s advocate, she had to admit that when it came to Japanese companies, she could very well be a potential shark.
But in a pond the size of a galaxy, she doubted she had enough information to be of any threat, let alone use. “I fear that should Ranma assume control, neither of us have the necessary education at this moment to run such a large corporation.”
Mikado nodded. “I see.
“Well, the best suggestion I could make it to have you stay here and receive the best tutors the empire could offer, before you go off to attend the Galaxy Science Academy.”
“How would science help us in business?” asked Nabiki.
“The lessons on available technology would be invaluable, as well as their business programs are suited towards such jobs as what you and your fiancé will be encountering.”
“Hmm, that might not be a bad idea,” said Nabiki, wondering what new technology she could learn and market on Earth for a huge profit. Those tree cells alone would be worth a fortune. Organic prisons; good for the environment and keeping criminals off the street.
“Very well,” he said, before turning to Ranma. “Do I have your permission and authorization, Mr. Kuramitsu?”
“Huh?” said the redhead, finishing off two more courses.
“Well,” continued Mikado, “in order to take control of the Seniwa Corporation and all of its holdings, you’ll have to take the clan name of your grandfather.”
Ranma nodded. “Then my new name would be...”
“Ranma Saotome Kuramitsu,” finished Mikado.
Ranma nodded. While he knew he had honor commitments for the Saotome clan, his honor commitments to his grandparents also held higher values. His mother had never once spoke ill of his grandparents. Perhaps ... it wasn’t a bad idea.
It would certainly clean up all the honor agreements Genma had made for him. If he was a Kuramitsu; his grandfather’s clan, then he wouldn’t have to marry anyone Genma promised him to.
He’d be free.
“Can I think about it for the day?” she asked, still unsure.
“Sure,” said Mikado, not wanting to jeopardize a treaty that could prove beneficial in the future.
After all, he had waited three hundred years for a chance to remove the ill waste that permeated the Seniwa Corporation.
He could wait a few more days.
“So?” said Ranma as they prepared for bed. He still wasn’t used to sleeping next to Nabiki.
In the same tent was one thing. He didn’t have a clue what on the planet could attack at night and injure or kill her.
Now; they were in a palace, and he didn’t have to be on guard as much.
But then again, there was no telling if Sukai was working alone in this entire debacle.
“Ignore it, Ranma,” said Nabiki, smelling the fresh linens she had been given to sleep in. Much better than plain silk shirts and kung fu pants.
“Not about the bed,” he said, a deep blush filtering through his Soul of Ice and filling his face. “I’m asking about what they’re asking for me.”
Nabiki sighed. “Ranma, they said Earth resides in another empire, one they have no contact with.”
“Yeah. So?’ he said.
“Well, how do you think we’ll get there?”
“Um ... we ask for them to take us there?”
Nabiki sighed. “Really, Ranma, are you that ignorant after all this time?”
“HEY!”
“Listen, Ranma,” said Nabiki. “It’s not like we can simply ask to be taken there. Earth is under some protection order, which means we might even be allowed near it, especially since your grandfather is from this side of the galaxy.”
“Doesn’t seem fair,” he said as he slipped under the covers.
“Little in life is, Ranma,’ said Nabiki as she slipped under the covers on her side. “Listen, we’re in their world, so to speak; which means we have to play by their rules.
“Besides, it’s not likely that they’ll let Mr. Ranma Saotome Kuramitsu just go away after all this. If the boards did send your grandfather to Earth, I doubt it was their original intent.”
“You mean they tried to kill him?”
“Makes sense,” she said. “He had the power and was doing something they considered bad for their own personal interests, so the tried to eliminate him.”
“But that happened three hundred years ago!”
“So,” she said. “Did you forget about the Nanban Mirror? Time isn’t exactly linear here?”
“Huh?”
“Ranma, you really need an education.”
“What does that have to do with anything?”
“Goodnight, Ranma.”
“But Nabiki...” whined Ranma, not liking the fact he didn’t understand.
“I said goodnight, Saotome!” her tone not leaving any more room for discussion.
Sighing, Ranma laid back down. “Not like I know what the hell she’s thinking,” he mumbled.
It was the middle of the night as a figure made his way into the room via the terrace. The moon parted the skies a bit revealing the disgraced General.
Thanks to the truth being revealed his plans and thus his career was ruined.
His plan had been simple. He knew via history that sooner or later, the Queens of the Empire would bare daughters. And if he proved himself enough, perhaps he would be chosen to be an intended of those girls.
That had been the whole point of most of his military career; make himself look like the greatest hero Jurai would ever see. As such, it would be mere child’s play to ensure he was chosen to be a groom for a new princess, and soon afterwards, Emperor when the current one decided to step down ... or suffered an ill-timed fate.
His last manipulation had been to that end. After all, the two were nobodies who had wandered on Imperial Land. No one would question if they disappeared, if they died before questioning.
But they had to fight back, they had to try and interfere with his goal to restore purity to Jurai, they just didn’t die like good trash.
And now, his plans were ruined. The Emperor distrusted him, he had been disgraced before his men, and it was no longer a possibility that he would be in position to marry a Princess of the Empire, let alone become the next Emperor.
So, with the last bit of help available to him from those guards loyal to him, he was able to be freed to do one more thing: seek his revenge.
To that point, he had scaled the outer walls to this room, to finish off the off-world trash that dared to try and interrupt his destiny, as ordained by the Goddess Tsunami herself.
Raising his dagger, he prepared to deliver his justice. First, he would kill the male that held his team off until the Emperor’s faithful Guardians had arrived. Then, he would kill the defenseless bitch that shared his bed.
Then, back to his cell, and to work on a way to make certain the Emperor learned of the Outsider’s trickery.
It was a perfect plan concocted by the next Emperor. What could go wrong?
The door opened to the room, as a pigtailed boy poked his head out, looking down the hall. “Excuse me?”
Two guards stationed there turned towards him. “Yes?” said the one on the left.
Ranma smiled, before he stepped into the hallway, dragging a beaten and bloody Sukai behind him by the leg. “Could you guys put this back where it belongs ... and keep it there this time. I was kinda hoping to sleep without some asshole trying to kill me.”
The guards paled and nodded, wondering how the man had even gotten there. These two were some of the most loyal Mikado had, and had been assigned in case such a situation had occurred.
“Um ... sure,” said the guard on the right, as they walked over to take the wounded and disgraced officer off Ranma’s hands.
“Thanks guys,” said Ranma. “I would have tossed his ass out the window for trying to stab me in my sleep, but that might have killed him, and his screams might have woken Nabiki. The girl’s a real bear if you wake her up.”
As Ranma shut his door, the two guards looked down on the moaning and bloody man that had once commanded quite a bit of fear within the personal guard circle.
“Someone’s head will be rolling when this gets out.”
“Yep.”
“How about we take him back to his cell by the South entrance?”
“Doesn’t that have the long flight of stairs?”
“Yep.”
“Not bad. Maybe we can also cut through the Seventh Gardens?”
“The one with all those desert plants with the needles?”
“Yes, and the ones with the needles that are like salt in a wound.”
“Well, it is the perfect time of year. I hear they should be blooming this week.”
“Well, let’s go!”
Each one grabbing a leg, they started off on their long journey to deliver Sukai back to custody.
Should I end here for this chapter or add the Washu saga to it as well?
Last edited by Innortal on Tue May 09, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innortal
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Questara » Tue May 09, 2006 10:11 am

I don't care which you do, as long as it is continued soon ;)
(On second thought, go ahead and add it now) :)
Questara
Senshi Cadet

Postby Innortal » Tue May 09, 2006 10:13 am

If I add to it, it will take everything to when they meet Washu till she has to leave her child via Ranma.
Innortal
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby deathgeonous » Tue May 09, 2006 10:33 am

I liked it. Add to it or not, it's your choice, and I feel realy dumb, but your last post I totaly did not understand.
deathgeonous
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Innortal » Tue May 09, 2006 10:36 am

Originally, this chapter was to include everything it does now, to them meeting Washu, Washu's marriage to Ranma, the birth of their child (which in the anime, Washu recalls being taken away from her due to her commoner birthing), and the truth behind that.
Of course, I wasn't planning for it to take up over 4000 words up to this point. And if I add Washu, this chapter would reach 10000 words.
So, I'm asking if I should place the Washu chronicles in the next chapter or not.
Innortal
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby MacShimi » Tue May 09, 2006 11:59 am

The current end of the chapter seems forced, as if the end of a chapter were forced by a limitation of file size or paper rather than the needs of the story. The conclusion of the chapter with the Guards dragging off the would-be assassin seems a tacked-on addition.
My suggestion would be to either add the Washu section on to the end of this already sizable chunk, and have a 10,000 word chapter or to cut the chapter before the assassination attempt, and put it and the Washu section in the next chapter.
But that's of course only my advice. It's your storry.
If you must play, decide on three things at the start: The rules of the game, the stakes, and the quitting time.
-- Chinese proverb
MacShimi
Senshi Candidate

Postby deathgeonous » Tue May 09, 2006 2:11 pm

Oh, in that case, add.
deathgeonous
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Drawde » Tue May 09, 2006 5:19 pm

This is just for the canonists out there. It's a summarization/partial translation of one of the novels Masaki Kajishima co-wrote, titled "Washu". The appropriate part is story six: "The Sunset".
Once again, I'm not trying to change anyone's stories (I like AUs, and am paranoid about influencing authors with information like this), but am just pointing this out for the people who are interested.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/tatsumingo/w ... sode3.html
Drawde
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Atlan » Wed May 10, 2006 2:09 am

while'st we all want more of it to read as soon as posible (so there aint no way you're getting unbaissed advice), you should probaly leave the washu bit for another chapter, if just so no one will bitch at you for having shorter chapters.
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Innortal » Wed May 10, 2006 2:28 am

Okay. I'm nearly finished with the addition for now. I think I will go for introducing and dealing with Washu the next chapter.
Within a few hours, I shall be posting the remains of this chapter.
Innortal
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Innortal » Wed May 10, 2006 3:59 am

No Need for Destiny
Chapter 2
No Need for an Education

Disclaimer: I don’t own this series or any other series. I am just floating an idea. I am making no money, nor plan to, off this venture. If you think of suing me over this, then grow up.
I would like to first personally thank all of those reviewing my stories. I enjoy reading your comments, and try to correct the grammatical errors I miss with my final read-through as well as my spell checkers. The suggestions you all make will help make this story better for everyone to enjoy, as well as allow my to fix some plot holes I may unintentionally leave. If you find any, let me know, and I will correct them and repost the chapters.
Nabiki took a moment to wonder at the throne room of the mysterious Emperor of Jurai. It reminded her of some ancient Greek and Egyptian rooms, with high marble columns, ceilings decorated with murals, and the wealth of plant-life that seemed to blend perfectly into the scenery, as if it was made to do such.
Though considering they had held Ranma captive with what looked like little more than branches and vines no thicker than her arm, she didn’t discount the possibility.
When they stopped before the throne, which had the man she assumed was the emperor sitting; she couldn’t help but notice it had two other chairs next to it, empty for the moment. The man was tall, his face shaved to have a goatee to match his blue hair, covered in elegant robes.
Not that she got to see too much, as the guards forced her and Ranma to their knees.
“Kneel before the lord of the Jurai Star Empire; Emperor Mikado Jurai!”
Ranma did as they forced him to do, Nabiki having told him to do such. She wanted to try and handle this, hoping the emperor was at least more intelligent and open minded than their captors.
Though he felt very nervous of the one bit of their history she changed to better suit a cover, he had to admit it might offer the other more protection should things go that way.
Mikado sat in his throne, looking at the two before him, surrounded by guards; most of whom he noticed appeared to still be slightly injured. Amazing fighters they must be, to do such to the Royal Guard. “What are the charges?”
General Fuji Sukai stood, immediately recognizable to Nabiki as the blowhard who refused to actually fight, his uniform looking too new and clean to indicate he had ever experienced true battle, bowed and spoke. “We found the intruders within the Royal Gardens. When we stopped them, they attacked. We believe they are assassins,” he proclaimed.
“Like hell,” muttered Ranma, wishing he didn’t give his word to Nabiki to stay quiet and not jump them. The guy just screamed “beat me” to his senses, like a male Kuno.
“And what do you two have to say?” asked Mikado.
“May we stand to offer our story, sir?” asked Nabiki, trying to sound as formal as possible.
“Like worthless assassins as yourselves deserve such niceties,” spat Fuji.
Nabiki turned her face slightly. “I was addressing the Emperor, unless you feel yourself better than him to answer such a request.”
“Why you—”
“Enough!” bellowed Mikado. “You two may stand,” he motioned. “Now explain why you were within the Royal Gardens.”
“Thank you,” Nabiki said, standing up with Ranma. “Sir, the tale we have to tell may seem as if we are mad, but trust us that we do not lie.”
Seeing him nod, Nabiki continued. “First, may I ask if you have ever heard of a planet called Earth?”
The Emperor considered her words for a moment. “It is possible. Though if the planet you are referring to is what I believe, it is within a protected area of this galaxy due to its developing nature as an empire all its own.”
Nabiki nodded, but internally, she was happy. If they knew where Earth was, then maybe they could send them home. “About ten days ago, my companion was dragged into a forced fight by the Grandmaster of a martial arts school they both belonged to.”
“May I ask why?”
Nabiki nodded. “My companion has a curse that changes him to a female gender when splashed with cold water, and returns him to his birth form when splashed with hot water. The Grandmaster in question is a huge pervert, wishing to partake in large amounts of perverse activities with this form, and was most upset that Ranma would not let him. As such, he dained it “justified”,” she spat, “to use a spell on him, which I was also caught in. That is how we ended up in your Gardens.”
“A likely story,” said Fuji.
Nabiki only gave him a glare.
“I asked for silence, General Sukai, while they explain themselves,” said Mikado. “Do continue.”
Nabiki nodded. “When we arrived, we had only what gear my companion carried with him at all times, and thus tried to survive until we found a way home. When he detected a large amount of people in this direction, we set off to find them with hopes of learning more of what fate befell us.”
“If so,” said the Emperor, “then why did you attack my guards?”
“They attacked first,” said Nabiki.
“LIARS!” cried Fuji, as he grabbed his sword. “I shall teach you to defile the name of my command!”
Before Mikado could stop him with a command, the man dashed forward, his rage and fears of being found out forcing him to act. Killing them would hold his career back a bit, but he would still achieve his ambitions.
Sadly, he forgot that Ranma was still faster than he, even handcuffed as he was, and caught the sword with one hand, before it was even close to Nabiki.
Smirking, his foot shot out, snapping into the General’s chest, and sending him skidding along the floor; only the Emperor’s hand raised prevented the other guards from attacking.
“I don’t mind if you attack me, moron,” spat Ranma, flipping the sword and holding it by the hilt. “But Nabiki ain’t a fighter, and I ain’t gonna let you kill her just because she’s telling the truth.”
With a mental command, several branches shot from the walls, encircling the stunned man, even wrapping themselves around his mouth to ensure his silence. Turning back to the prisoners, he bowed. “Forgive the interruption and do continue.”
Nabiki let out a breath she hadn’t known she was holding, glad once again Ranma was there to protect her, and reminding herself to erase some of his debt when they returned home. “Very well. As you can see, my companion was able to hold them off for a while, until the overwhelmed him with numbers. Had he not reacted so quickly when they attacked, my remains would no doubt still be on the forest floor.
“In fact,” she said, slowly turning to the bound General, “they seemed most intent on our slaughter, and did not try and capture us until those floating logs arrived.”
The Emperor nodded. He turned to the remaining guards. “I want the truth from you now, and do know that I have ways of finding out if you lie. Is what the young lady said true?”
One guard gulped before stepping forward and assuming a submissive pose. “We were informed that the assassins had already killed several members of the guard, and that we should take no chance with them. We were then told to capture them after an intense battle.”
“And under whose command did those orders and the information come from?”
“General Sukai, sir.”
Mikado’s face turned dark, as he slowly looked towards the struggling figure still bound before them. “GUARDIANS!” he yelled, as two logs faded into view, floating on either side of the Emperor.
“You summoned us?” said the logs in unison.
“Interface with the gear the soldiers have used, check for alterations to the memory, and reconstruct the battle.”
“Checking...” they said, before they turned back to face him. “Several data sequences have been altered. Currently the reconstructed data shows that General Sukai attacked without provocation or warning.”
“What do you have to say for yourself?” he asked, as a vine slowly unwrapped around the man’s head.
“These are all lies,” yelled the man. “These are nothing but outsider tricks to discredit me, my Lord!”
Nabiki snorted. “So sad that you must make up exploits to make yourself appear the better, instead of doing those exploits in reality.” She turned to him. “You made no move to fight until those logs arrived, and even then, held back to the rear.
“You are nothing more than a coward who seeks to make a name for himself on the backs of innocents, claiming it a conspiracy when you are found out.”
Ranma chuckled. “Next he’ll proclaim I’m a foul sorcerer, and that I’m keeping his true loves from proclaiming their feelings for him.”
“Trash like you doesn’t deserve to set foot on Jurai!” spat Sukai, trying to free himself.
“Take him away,” growled the Emperor. “I will deal with him later.”
Fuji paled, turning towards the Emperor. “But sir, it was all for you!” he pleaded.
“Self serving interests are only for the self, no matter how hard they try and justify it,” said Nabiki, taking the sword from Ranma as he began to try and balance it on the tip of his nose. “You were only doing things because they suited you and your xenophobic views, nothing more, and nothing less.”
“I SHALL HAVE MY REVENGE!” shouted the man as the guards dragged their disgraced leader off to the dungeons.
The Emperor shook his head. “I had hoped that we were moving away from such shallow attitudes.”
“Don’t feel too bad,” said Ranma. “No matter where you go on Earth, you’ve always have some idiots that feel their way is the only true way.”
The Emperor nodded. “True, but by Tsunami, I felt we were passed the worst of such barbaristic ideals.”
Shaking his head, he motioned for the remaining guards to free them. “Come; tell me about your travels and yourselves. We have such little information on Earth; it would be nice to learn of what it has to offer.
“But first, let’s get you two cleaned up and checked out. If this is a new world for you, it would be best to ensure you carry no diseases that we would be unused to.”
Nodding, Nabiki motioned for Ranma to follow, not seeing him place the sword in his subspace pocket.
Never knew what he might be able to get for it when they got back home. No doubt it would go a long way to paying off his debts. It was hardly even used.
Ranma stared at the food laid out before them, drool straining to be allowed to flow.
Only Nabiki’s commands keeping him from eating as he normally did.
“Ranma, this is royalty, and you will not embarrass us by acting like you do at home. That means no speed eating, no drooling, no stealing food, and no to anything else you normally do at the dinner table!
“Or so help me I will ensure your parents engage to the Kunos in both forms!”

So, Ranma shook his head, forcing himself into the Soul of Ice, lest he be engaged to Ms. Poison and Mr. Grabby.
Soon, the Emperor came in. “I must apologize that my wives could not be here tonight, but they are away on royal business.”
“Excuse me,” said Nabiki. “Wives?”
He nodded. “Yes, citizens are allowed polygamous relationships here in the Empire should they choose.”
Ranma paled, hoping to hell that little bit of knowledge wasn’t true in whatever developing Empire included Earth.
Nabiki nodded. “I apologize. It is just that most of Earth’s cultures support monogamous relationships.”
“I see,” said the Emperor. “Was that always true?”
Nabiki shook her head. “No, but that was usually due to the fact that almost all cultures tend to put the male gender above all else, rather than a need for the flow of love.”
“Very sad that it was such,” said Mikado.
Nabiki nodded. “It is only within the last century that things have shifted towards the equalization of rights between men and women.”
“Excuse me,” interrupted Ranma, “but how exactly is it that we’re all speaking the same language?”
Mikado chuckled. “The wonders of the gifts from the Goddess Tsunami: all on this world can understand each other. Off world, we have universal translators.”
Ranma sighed. “And Dai said that sort of stuff couldn’t be real,” he muttered, wondering what else he had seen on that television show about a bunch of people wondering through space could be true.
Nabiki hid her surprise that Ranma had asked an intelligent question. That fact had been bugging her as well. It just wasn’t possible that everyone in the universe spoke Japanese.
“Anyway,” said the Emperor, as the servers began to hand out the portions of the dishes, he held out two tablets to each of the visitors, “we’ve completed the scans, and each of you appears to be very healthy.”
“That’s good,” said Nabiki.
“Though Mr. Saotome does seem to be suffering the effects of malnutrition from early on in his life.”
“Ain’t that the truth,” said Ranma. “Worthless fat panda,” he muttered.
“I see,” said Mikado, sensing how the boy felt about whomever had allowed his nutrition to be so distorted. Whichever parent did this to him shall feel Jurai’s wrath, if it were my choice. “Don’t worry, son. We have several treatments available for that to correct it. You’ll be fully healthy in a few days.”
Ranma blinked. “Really?” he asked. Maybe my girl form will grow taller too. It sucks being smaller than everyone. His mind quickly started a small fantasy of him towering over a chibi-Akane.
“Now I’m even a taller girl than you!”
“Not that we are not grateful for your assistance,” stated Nabiki, “but why would you be willing to help us so much?”
Mikado nodded. “Well, while normally we would have no problems with doing this, considering how you were treated upon your arrival, I must confess I do hope that my charity will provide a benefit in the long term.”
“Let me guess,” said Nabiki, “it has to do with Ranma.”
“Yes.”
“PANDA NO BAKA!” screamed Ranma. “What’d he sell me for this time?”
“Excuse me?” stared Mikado, as Nabiki began to rub her temples.
“My old man’s always selling me to save his own furry ass, so what’d he sell me for this time?”
“I see,” said Mikado. Well, I guess we know one parent who gets to see how the vacuum of space feels. “No, child, I was referring to what we discovered about your ancestry.”
Nabiki looked towards him with curiosity. “Such as?”
“Well, we’ve discovered Ranma’s grandfather was the missing heir to Seniwa.”
“Come again?” said Nabiki, as Ranma stared, not believing that someone was after him to give him good news.
“Seniwa is a major corporation empire that spans many systems and is a large competitor against us in terms of power and influence.”
“Um, wouldn’t that make us enemies?” said Ranma.
“Normally, yes,” said Mikado, “but before he disappeared, Misaka Kuramitsu was in the early stages of beginning negotiations with the Empire. Three hundred years ago, he disappeared. Since he was the only living member remaining of the family, the running of the company fell to the Board of Trustees.”
“Okay,” said Nabiki.
“Our spies have long believed that this Board was also responsible for his disappearance. With Ranma here living proof that not only was he still alive, but that another heir has arrived, Ranma here stands to inherit all of Seniwa.”
“And how much is that?” Ranma asked, idly eating his meal.
“Take a look,” motioned Mikado, as a wall flickered, changing into a view screen, which showed the galaxy divided, one area highlighting the Jurai Empire, and the other highlighting the Seniwa holdings.
Nabiki sputtered, her drinking having been spit out of her mouth in surprise, and covering Ranma, changing him to a her.
“Gee,” said Ranma, grabbing a napkin and drying herself off, “thanks.”
“Ranma’s owns all of that?” gasped Nabiki, pointing to the screen.
“Yes,” said Mikado, still surprised at actually seeing Ranma’s change, despite having seen the medical reports on it, as even their computers could offer no explanation for it.
Nabiki took several deep breaths, ignoring Ranma’s muttering about not wanting a second shower today, before she spoke. “That ... that’s a lot.”
“Yes, quite the find in your fiancé, huh?”
Nabiki nodded, forgetting that they had decided to be called fiancé and fiancée in the woods to further earn sympathy, should the locals be more uptight than Akane when it came to the relations between men and women.
“And what’s this got to do with me?” asked Ranma, finishing wiping down what she could off the provided clothes. And these felt nice too. Not a bad fit, either.
“Well,” said Mikado, “since they’ve taken over, they’ve become more aggressive, and I fear they seek to take what others have merely for their own personal gains.”
Nabiki shook her head, clearing out thoughts of exactly how valuable Ranma was now, to focus on the issues at hand. “So you wish Ranma to reassume control and stop them.”
“Yes, but not quite,” said Mikado. “I wish his permission to arrest his Board, and allow them to be tried for the attempted murder of his grandfather.”
“And how do you know he’s my grandfather?”
“Does this face look familiar?” asked Mikado, as the screen showed the image of a blond man.
Ranma stared a bit. “I know that guy.” Seeing Nabiki’s stare that suggested he was bullshitting, he continued. “Mom had that picture in the house before it was destroyed. Him and grandma disappeared a few months before the training trip. Pops apparently threw a fit because it was delaying the training trip.”
Nabiki nodded. “So as the last living relative, he can give you authorization to “clean house” so to speak, so he can resume control of the business and rebuild relations with your empire.”
“That is correct.”
Nabiki nodded. If she was going to be stuck with Ranma, it would be best that the company he now owned was friendly to him, and thus her.
Of course, playing devil’s advocate, she had to admit that when it came to Japanese companies, she could very well be a potential shark.
But in a pond the size of a galaxy, she doubted she had enough information to be of any threat, let alone use. “I fear that should Ranma assume control, neither of us have the necessary education at this moment to run such a large corporation.”
Mikado nodded. “I see.
“Well, the best suggestion I could make it to have you stay here and receive the best tutors the empire could offer, before you go off to attend the Galaxy Science Academy.”
“How would science help us in business?” asked Nabiki.
“The lessons on available technology would be invaluable, as well as their business programs are suited towards such jobs as what you and your fiancé will be encountering.”
“Hmm, that might not be a bad idea,” said Nabiki, wondering what new technology she could learn and market on Earth for a huge profit. Those tree cells alone would be worth a fortune. Organic prisons; good for the environment and keeping criminals off the street.
“Very well,” he said, before turning to Ranma. “Do I have your permission and authorization, Mr. Kuramitsu?”
“Huh?” said the redhead, finishing off two more courses.
“Well,” continued Mikado, “in order to take control of the Seniwa Corporation and all of its holdings, you’ll have to take the clan name of your grandfather.”
Ranma nodded. “Then my new name would be...”
“Ranma Saotome Kuramitsu,” finished Mikado.
Ranma nodded. While she knew she had honor commitments for the Saotome clan, her honor commitments to her grandparents also held higher values. Her mother had never once spoke ill of her grandparents. Perhaps ... it wasn’t a bad idea.
It would certainly clean up all the honor agreements Genma had made for her. If she was a Kuramitsu; her grandfather’s clan, then she wouldn’t have to marry anyone Genma promised her to.
She’d be free.
“Can I think about it for the day?” she asked, still unsure.
“Sure,” said Mikado, not wanting to jeopardize a treaty that could prove beneficial in the future.
After all, he had waited three hundred years for a chance to remove the ill waste that permeated the Seniwa Corporation.
He could wait a few more days.
“So?” said Ranma as they prepared for bed. He still wasn’t used to sleeping next to Nabiki.
In the same tent was one thing. He didn’t have a clue what on the planet could attack at night and injure or kill her.
Now; they were in a palace, and he didn’t have to be on guard as much.
But then again, there was no telling if Sukai was working alone in this entire debacle.
“Ignore it, Ranma,” said Nabiki, smelling the fresh linens she had been given to sleep in. Much better than plain silk shirts and kung fu pants.
“Not about the bed,” he said, a deep blush filtering through his Soul of Ice and filling his face. “I’m asking about what they’re asking for me.”
Nabiki sighed. “Ranma, they said Earth resides in another empire, one they have no contact with.”
“Yeah. So?’ he said.
“Well, how do you think we’ll get there?”
“Um ... we ask for them to take us there?”
Nabiki sighed. “Really, Ranma, are you that ignorant after all this time?”
“HEY!”
“Listen, Ranma,” said Nabiki. “It’s not like we can simply ask to be taken there. Earth is under some protection order, which means we might even be allowed near it, especially since your grandfather is from this side of the galaxy.”
“Doesn’t seem fair,” he said as he slipped under the covers.
“Little in life is, Ranma,” said Nabiki as she slipped under the covers on her side. “Listen, we’re in their world, so to speak; which means we have to play by their rules.
“Besides, it’s not likely that they’ll let Mr. Ranma Saotome Kuramitsu just go away after all this. If the boards did send your grandfather to Earth, I doubt it was their original intent.”
“You mean they tried to kill him?”
“Makes sense,” she said. “He had the power and was doing something they considered bad for their own personal interests, so the tried to eliminate him.”
“But that happened three hundred years ago!”
“So,” she said. “Did you forget about the Nanban Mirror? Time isn’t exactly linear here?”
“Huh?”
“Ranma, you really need an education.”
“What does that have to do with anything?”
“Goodnight, Ranma.”
“But Nabiki...” whined Ranma, not liking the fact he didn’t understand.
“I said goodnight, Saotome!” her tone not leaving any more room for discussion.
Sighing, Ranma laid back down. “Not like I know what the hell she’s thinking,” he mumbled.
It was the middle of the night as a figure made his way into the room via the terrace. The moon parted the skies a bit revealing the disgraced General.
Thanks to the truth being revealed; his plans and thus his career was ruined.
His plan had been simple. He knew via history that sooner or later, the Queens of the Empire would bare daughters. And if he proved himself enough, perhaps he would be chosen to be an intended of those girls.
That had been the whole point of most of his military career; make himself look like the greatest hero Jurai would ever see. As such, it would be mere child’s play to ensure he was chosen to be a groom for a new princess, and soon afterwards, Emperor when the current one decided to step down ... or suffered an ill-timed fate.
His last manipulation had been to that end. After all, the two were nobodies who had wandered on Imperial Land. No one would question if they disappeared, if they died before questioning.
But they had to fight back, they had to try and interfere with his goal to restore purity to Jurai, they just didn’t die like good trash.
And now, his plans were ruined. The Emperor distrusted him, he had been disgraced before his men, and it was no longer a possibility that he would be in position to marry a Princess of the Empire, let alone become the next Emperor.
So, with the last bit of help available to him from those guards loyal to him, he was able to be freed to do one more thing: seek his revenge.
To that point, he had scaled the outer walls to this room, to finish off the off-world trash that dared to try and interrupt his destiny, as ordained by the Goddess Tsunami herself.
Raising his dagger, he prepared to deliver his justice. First, he would kill the male that held his team off until the Emperor’s faithful Guardians had arrived. Then, he would kill the defenseless bitch that shared his bed.
Then, back to his cell, and to work on a way to make certain the Emperor learned of the Outsider’s trickery.
It was a perfect plan concocted by the next Emperor. What could go wrong?
The door opened to the room, as a pigtailed boy poked his head out, looking down the hall. “Excuse me?”
Two guards stationed there turned towards him. “Yes?” said the one on the left.
Ranma smiled, before he stepped into the hallway, dragging a beaten and bloody Sukai behind him by the leg. “Could you guys put this back where it belongs ... and keep it there this time. I was kinda hoping to sleep without some asshole trying to kill me.”
The guards paled and nodded, wondering how the man had even gotten there. These two were some of the most loyal Mikado had, and had been assigned in case such a situation had occurred.
“Um ... sure,” said the guard on the right, as they walked over to take the wounded and disgraced officer off Ranma’s hands.
“Thanks guys,” said Ranma. “I would have tossed his ass out the window for trying to stab me in my sleep, but that might have killed him, and his screams might have woken Nabiki. The girl’s a real bear if you wake her up.”
As Ranma shut his door, the two guards looked down on the moaning and bloody man that had once commanded quite a bit of fear within the personal guard circle.
“Someone’s head will be rolling when this gets out.”
“Yep.”
“How about we take him back to his cell by the South entrance?”
“Doesn’t that have the long flight of stairs?”
“Yep.”
“Not bad. Maybe we can also cut through the Seventh Gardens?”
“The one with all those desert plants with the needles?”
“Yes, and the ones with the needles that are like salt in a wound.”
“Well, it is the perfect time of year. I hear they should be blooming this week.”
“Well, let’s go!”
Each one grabbing a leg, they started off on their long journey to deliver Sukai back to custody.
“Is that all I need to approve?” asked Ranma, his eyes dreary from all the paperwork he had been forced to fill out, not only to prove he was who he was, but to authorize the Jurai forces to detain and investigate which if any board members had been responsible for his grandfather’s disappearance from their company.
“Yes,” said the advisor the Emperor had assigned to him. “We will begin by sending the documents to the Seniwa Corporation headquarters, as well as the media outlets. By this time tomorrow, Jurai forces will be in control of the Headquarters and the Board members will be under arrest.”
Ranma nodded. “I hope I’m doing the right thing.”
The advisor sat beside Ranma, placing his hand on Ranma’s shoulder. “Evil only wins when good men do nothing.”
Ranma looked at him. “So if I let them get away with it...”
“Then they would continue. Now, they will be brought to charge, and you will have the time to learn of this new environment to lead it in a better direction. Galaxy Police can be purged of the corruption and once again become a leader of law enforcement in those sectors of space, and we’ll avoid a war of power within the future.”
Ranma nodded. “Still kind of hard to believe I can do so much by signing some papers.”
The advisor nodded. “But didn’t the stories you say indicate that your birth father did much more by merely giving his word?”
Ranma paled. “I didn’t just engage anyone or myself in those papers did I?”
The man chuckled. “No, sir.”
Ranma nodded. “Now what?”
“Well, aside from the conferences that will be popping up soon, I suggest you relax a bit. Tomorrow, you have the tutors coming to catch you up on the knowledge you’ll need to attend the Academy.”
Ranma nodded. “Still don’t see how I’ll need an education?”
The advisor nodded, having been prepared to discuss this with him after a quick word with his fiancée after breakfast. “Sir, if I may?”
“Yeah?”
“On your world, your father wished you to take over the dojo?”
“Yeah?”
“Well, did you have anyone teach you how to run a dojo?”
Ranma thought about it. He was pretty certain students wouldn’t stand to learn the way his father taught him, and with Mr. Tendo no longer teaching, Ranma didn’t exactly have an example to mimic and adapt. “Um ... no.”
“Which means you would need to go someplace to learn to be an effective teacher to your students?”
“I guess,” he said, unsure. “Pops always said not to worry about it.”
“I see,” said the advisor. “Ranma, without knowing how to do a simple kata, would you be able to pull off an advanced one?”
“No way!” Ranma stated. “You’d never be able to get your balance right; you might even hurt or kill yourself if you don’t have the basics.”
The advisor waited for Ranma to make the connection.
And waited...
And waited ... even as a cricket began to chirp.
Sighing, he decided to connect the dots. “So, without an understanding of how a dojo is run, how do you plan to run one? Do you plan to trust your father to run it for you honestly?”
Ranma made a move to speak, before he paled, which was followed by an angry blush filling his face. “That damn panda was just going to use me!” he cried out.
I really should ask why he keeps referring to his father as a panda. Perhaps this Jusenkyo Curse is different for everyone? “Now you see why they say Knowledge is True Power?” asked the advisor.
Ranma sighed, before slumping into his chair. “Man, I can’t believe after all he’s put me through, I was gonna trust him on that.”
“It is hard to believe our parents would ever abuse our trust,” said the advisor. “But we cannot let mistakes of the past hamper our progress into the future.”
Standing up, he motioned for Ranma to follow. “Despite all the training and abilities you have, you’ve neglected what many consider the most important muscle. As such, you have a weakness that any could exploit.”
“A muscle I ain’t been using?” asked Ranma in wonder, looking over his body. “What is it?”
“Your brain.”
Ranma stopped. “That’s a muscle?”
“In a manner of speaking,” said the advisor. “As you work it out, it gets stronger. Like the fact you can have muscle memory, the same is especially true for your brain.”
“And Pops always said thinking about things too much is bad for you.”
“And look how far he got in life?”
Ranma nodded. He didn’t have a clue how his mother had survived all that time, and it was doubtful his old man was sending money home to support her.
If he had been, then Ranma could have understood all the times he went hungry. But given the fact that his old man never seemed to be hungry those nights, as well as always seemed to have a few bottles of saké whenever he needed, had to make Ranma reconsider a few things.
Granted, he knew he wasn’t the smartest around, but even he should have known things weren’t right. If they didn’t have money for him to eat, how’d they have money for him to drink?
Of course, that brought the usual ways his old man acquired things to his head, making him pale. By Kami-sama, how many more fiancées are left out there?
Or worse ... fiancés?

“So,” started Ranma, trying to keep from losing his breakfast over the possibilities that his old man was engaging him to guys now, “if I made myself smarter...”
“Then you would be able to fight with both brawn and brains. Many scholars agree that a warrior with those is a perfect warrior.”
Ranma nodded. If he was smarter, he wouldn’t get himself into all sorts of problems. He could make his old man pay for everything he’d put him through.
Maybe he’d even pass his courses to the point he’d never have to see Principle Kuno or Ms. Hinako ever again!
“And as an added bonus,” stated the advisor, a gleam in his eye, “the Emperor said that as long as your studies are progressing nicely, he’d consent to your learning of Jurai fighting styles.”
Ranma’s face took on the type of expression of a kid at Christmas. “Really?” he asked, his eyes twinkling.
“Um,” said the advisor, a little bit worried about his own safety. “Yeah, he did.”
“OH YEAH!” cried out Ranma as he began to literally bounce around the hallways.
On the other side of the hallway, leaning against the wall, hidden from sight, smiled Nabiki. She was glad someone had gotten the truth about knowledge through Ranma’s head. Who knew? He might even be able to learn with constant fights for survival, fights from fiancées, fathers, stupid midget perverts, aura-draining teachers, and nutty administrators.
Now, Ranma, can you get smart?
“YEOW!” cried Ranma as he felt hot water poured over him, reverting him back to male. “QUIT DOING THAT!” he yelled.
“Fine,” said Nabiki, as she refilled the kettle and set it to heat once again. “Then quit falling asleep.”
“But this stuff is so boring!” he whined.
“Listen, you said you were going to learn,” stated Nabiki. “Now quit falling asleep, learn the damn text, and quit bitching like your old man!”
“I ain’t like the old panda!” cried Ranma.
“Then sit your damn ass down, study those texts, and learn the fucking information!” screamed Nabiki, slamming her hands on the table.
She took several deep breaths, trying to regain control over her anger. “Listen Ranma, we’ve tried using this water torture to keep you awake,” she said, a smile forming on her lips. “So I guess I need to add more than simply pouring hot water or ice cold water on you to make you focus.”
“Um ... that’s not necessary, Nabiki,” he nervously chuckled. “I mean, if I can learn those Amazon moves in a few days when they took the Old Ghoul close to a year, then History can’t be that hard.”
“First off, Ranma, we’re working on Algebra.”
“Oh.”
“Second, I think I know the perfect motivator for you.”
Ranma gulped, seeing the look on her face that promised pain and embarrassment the likes he’d never encountered before.
“If you don’t get an A on the next series of testing,” she said, “then some special guards get a few dates with the single granddaughter of the former head of Seniwa.”
Ranma scratched his head. “But Mom didn’t have a girl?”
Nabiki shook the pitcher of ice water before his nose, smiling as he paled.
“NO WAY IN HELL!” he yelled. “I’M A GUY, DAMN IT!”
Nabiki sat back down. “Then act like a guy and learn, instead of bitching and whining like a little weak boy. Otherwise, I’m going to set you up on some dates; complete with a lovely dress, makeup, and the appropriate underwear. Maybe even promise a goodnight kiss.”
Grumbling about how he wasn’t a weak little boy, Ranma sat back down in his seat, ignoring Nabiki’s giggles as the wet seat made several noises as he did such. Opening the book once again, Ranma began to study the math, much more feverously since he didn’t want to date any guys here.
Nabiki smiled as she resumed her reading. She didn’t intend to go through with it. She was just tired of hearing him bitch and moan about it.
Besides, Ranma was the type who always excelled when it came to trying to avoid some embarrassment.
“Ah,” said Nabiki, enjoying the breeze entering the window from her apartment at the Academy. “Now this is a place to study,” she breathed out, enjoying the sun.
For two years, she and Ranma had been allowed to study to enter the Academy. And during that time, while Ranma suffered learning scholastically, she was forced to learn physically; namely Ranma’s personal style of Anything Goes.
It hadn’t been uninterrupted peace either. They had survived several attempts on their lives by the Board Members that escaped the arrests of the Jurai Empire forces, as did several corrupted officials within the Galaxy Police. And she did have to admit that had it not been for Ranma’s training, she’d have been dead half of those times.
But things were getting better. The rest of the people responsible for the attempted murder of Misaka Kuramitsu were arrested, control over the company was placed in Ranma’s hands, and he and Nabiki were set to finish their education at the Galaxy Science Academy.
“Hey, Nabiki,” yelled out Ranma, “can you bring me some juice?”
Smiling, she opened the fridge, grabbing two cold juices, before heading out to the deck, spotting her roommate on the lunge bed, nude, and enjoying the sun in her female form, now close to the former height of her male form thanks to the medical treatments for her early malnutrition, her hair done in a tight bun.
“Careful you don’t get any sunburns, Ranma-kun,” she teased. While they had grown closer, it was more that of friends than that of being actually engaged.
“Not likely,” Ranma said, holding out her hand to grab some juice, as Nabiki sat down on the lounge bed next to her. “They’ve got a perfect ozone level here.”
Nabiki nodded, before lounging back and wondering if she should go for the all-over-tan as well.
“Any word yet on Earth?” asked Ranma.
Nabiki sighed, as she began to apply the suntan lotion. “Nope. Seems they’re under some developing-status protection. But I think we’re out of time as well. Long range reconnaissance probes showed them a bit differently than how we remembered it?”
“How differently?” asked Ranma, turning towards her as Nabiki laid down, deciding to keep on her bottoms as she prepared to enjoy the sun as well.
“Looks like there’s life everywhere in the system. Odds are looking as if the old letch sent us pretty far forward in time.”
“Damn,” muttered Ranma, taking a sip of her juice. “So what does that mean for us?”
Nabiki looked towards her. “Not really sure. We do have your company to keep us busy until we can establish contact with Earth. Who knows, maybe the history states we returned and established Earth and Sol as it is.”
“Maybe,” yawned Ranma, as she rolled over to allow her front side to tan.
“You miss them?” asked Nabiki.
“A little, they were somewhat friends,” Ranma said. “But the peace and quiet is nice. You miss them?”
“My family,” said Nabiki. “I want to go back to them if we can, before I die and turn to dust.”
Ranma giggled. “Between what they can do to extend our lifespan and what I learned about doing it from the Old Ghoul and the Old Letch, we should be around for a very long time.”
Nabiki nodded, before turning back to relaxing. She had to admit, for the most part, he was right. She had long since considered the possibility that they might not return home, or that Happosai had sent them across time as well as space; her current thoughts agreeing with the fact that the world she remembered didn’t have technology to make all nine planets in the system thriving ecosystems.
This meant she had no other home than what she had now. Granted, her and Ranma were friends now, but it could always develop into more, and she’d rather stay here with someone she knew rather than be left behind.
After all, it didn’t take a genius of her caliber to see what all the looks Ranma had been receiving from the female coeds meant.
I’ll have to decide soon if I really want to see if we can work out, won’t I?
She would admit he was attractive before they had been sent to Jurai. It wasn’t that much of a leap.
But for her, the brain was just as attractive as the body, and that put Ranma as “undatable” in her book.
But two years of intense studying, and she was certain he could take on many of the elite from even Tokyo University in a battle of whits and win hands down. He had the mental baulk to back up his physical talents, making him a package few could resist.
But, she also knew she had time. Two years may have been a long time, but Ranma still flinched slightly whenever females showed him attention, expecting punishment for it. As things stood now, aside from a few happily married Jurai nobles, she was the closet woman to Ranma.
So, she could afford to wait and figure out what, if any, feelings she had for Ranma, and whether they were based on true feelings or a sense of not wanting to be alone.
It wasn’t as if another woman was going to show up and break down every wall Ranma had against affection.
Wasn’t it?
On a planet called Kanamitsu, a young woman was busy studying. Sure, her entrance exams to the Galaxy Scientific Academy were a few years off, but it never hurt to be ahead of the curve.
She had been on this planet ever since she was found, no one able to tell her anything more than her name of Washu. Even her last name was adopted from the family’s land she was found on, though none of them were still alive.
Hakubi.
But that wasn’t going to hold her back. She knew destiny was calling her to the stars. She desired knowledge, and she was reaching the limits of what this planet could offer her.
So, she studied and prepared. Soon, she would take the exam, and be off for her destiny.
“I wonder if I’ll meet a cute guy there?” she asked herself, allowing a small daydream to form.
“Nah!” she said, smiling. “What are the chances of meeting a cute guy who’s smart at the Academy?”
“You never know, Washu,” said the high voice of the person entering their room, “you might find someone.”
“Naja, have you ever met a cute boy who had brains?”
“And used them?” asked the hermaphrodite. “Not likely.”
“So, when are you headed to the Academy?” asked Washu, sad that her only friend was soon leaving her.
“In a few days,” said Naja. “It gives me more time to spend with my friend.
“Besides, you’ll be there soon.”
“You’re already planning a party for that, aren’t you?”
“Maybe?”
Washu sighed. “I hate parties. Too many people freak me out.”
“Then how do you plan to give presentations?” asked her friend.
Washu blinked. “Um...”
Naja giggled. “Don’t worry, as the soon-to-be-greatest scientific genius in the whole universe, I shall help you work on that!”
Washu giggled. “We’ll see, Naja. We’ll see.”
Innortal
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby crystlshake » Wed May 10, 2006 4:10 am

Yeah, I think having the Washu part next chapter would be better. Though like was mentioned before ending with the guards seems odd. It sounds like you have more yet and it probably includes the follow up on Jurai up till about when they ship off for the Academy. Which would be an excelent place to end and pick up the next chapter with.
Im especially looking forward to the Academy section and the part each character plays in it.
crystlshake
Moon Senshi

Postby Dark Magic » Wed May 10, 2006 1:46 pm

I would add the part were they meet Washu but not up to the point where she gives away her baby. Leave that to the next chapter.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby MacShimi » Thu May 11, 2006 4:13 pm

With the addition of this extra piece I think that this chapter has a better-defined end point. Ranma and Nabiki's story is alluded to, and Washu has been mentioned, if not fully introduced.
I do have an observation though, one you may find irritating. My observation is that you're telling rather than showing. Ranma and Nabiki are zooming through major plot developments, and we're not even getting a chance to enjoy the action. Now I understand that you probably have an idea as to where you're going with this story, but I think that idea hasn't been foreshadowed as clearly as it might be in this chapter.
I, for one don't have any idea what the major goal of the plot will be. Now I'm not saying that I want it all spelt out, but it would be nice to have the starting points. To wit: At the start of the Original Star Wars Trilogy, Luke sets out to become a Jedi Knight like his father before him, and also to avenge his father's death and defeat Darth Vader. Now we know from the trilogy that these goals are achieved, but the method in which they are achieved is quite different to how Luke (or the audience) imagined it would be in that first chapter.
With this much written I think that we should have some idea about Ranma's long-term goal, and also some idea of the steps he's taking toward achieving it. If returning home is his goal, then the events of the intervening period of months should not be glossed over, and instead need to be described for the story to have its full effect. Now they don't have to be completely fleshed out, but we need to see more than just 'Ranma decides to get a clue,' or 'things were hard and there were several assassination attempts.' We need to see Nabiki and Ranma wanting to return, and turning their efforts to learning their respective arts in order to get home.
My impression is that while this version of the chapter is more complete, and ends at a better point, it still rushes the story along too fast.
Again, this is purely my opinion. Take my advice or ignore it. It's your story
If you must play, decide on three things at the start: The rules of the game, the stakes, and the quitting time.
-- Chinese proverb
MacShimi
Senshi Candidate

Postby MGSaintz » Thu May 11, 2006 4:18 pm

I like where you ended the chapter and you probably should have the next chapter dealing with Washu instead of having her meet Ranma in this chapter.
MGSaintz
Senshi Candidate

Next

Return to Stories and C&C