At the End of the Tunnel (2/8)

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

At the End of the Tunnel (2/8)

Postby Bjorn » Mon May 01, 2006 6:28 am

Chapter 2, which takes place entirely in the Dreaming.
For those of you who're familiar with the source material (Ranma, obviously, but mostly the Sandman) I'd like a critique of characterization. Did the characters act, talk, react like you expected them to? No? Is that a good thing?
I want to know if something feels missing or rushed (especially rushed), perhaps if something could be added. Your advice on my first chapter was much appreciated.
I'll warn you in advance, though: very little of this chapter will make sense if you're not familiar with the Sandman as a whole.
For basic (very very basic) information on the seven Endless, I guess you can check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Endless_%28comics%29
Let the feedback commence. *puts on an asbestos jacket*
---
At the End of the Tunnel
Chapter 2 - Dream
---
Ranma stepped out of the portal, into a world which was considerably darker and gloomier than the one he'd left behind. The clouds were thick, looking to Ranma more like industrial smog than puffs of condensed mist. The fact that there were no living beings in sight did little to reassure the martial artist. Death, on the other hand, seemed to take little note of the dreary surroundings. She folded up her umbrella and started to walk forward, pulling Ranma along with her. Not having anything better to do, Ranma followed her dumbly.
His eyes vainly scanned the landscape for signs of life, and he consciously stretched his ki sense as far as he could, to no avail. After ten minutes of uninterrupted walking and no sign of anything changing, he hesitantly cleared his throat. "Uh, Death?"
"Mhmm?" was the absentminded reply.
"Are you sure your brother lives here? It..." Ranma paused, searching for the best way to say it. "Kinda... looks like nobody's here," he finished, lamely. Even the ground itself looked old and tired. "Ain't even no houses around or nothing."
Death let go of the martial artist's hand and turned around, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "Oh?" she said lightly. "Lots of people live here, Ranma. My brother lives at the center of the Dreaming."
Ranma frowned. "And where's that?"
"Here."
There was no sense of anything changing. One moment, Ranma and Death were standing in the middle of nowhere; the next, in front of a colossal castle that towered high enough to block out the sky. Ranma blinked in surprise, and then craned his neck back... and back... and back... He started, his gaze snapping back down to earth as a hand came down on his shoulder. Death smirked at him.
"Don't bother trying," she said to him confidentially. "It probably doesn't have a defined top."
"Oh," said Ranma, nonplussed. A movement caught his eye and he turned to see-
Brilliant blue-white energy burst into being around his balled fists, turning night into day. Ranma wasn't sure exactly what the eagle-headed lion with wings, or the winged horse were, but he knew a dragon when he saw one. The look it was giving him didn't seem to be unfriendly, but Ranma knew he was no expert at reading dragon faces. For all he knew, it could be sizing him up, perhaps pondering whether or not Ranma's pigtail might catch on its fangs as it gulped him down.
A tense moment passed as he cautiously and quickly stepped between the dragon and Death, careful not to show it any weak points to exploit. It continued to stare at him curiously, head cocked to one side, slit eyes locked with his. The eery resemblance to a cat wasn't lost on Ranma, and he shivered, forcefully reminding himself that cats did not have scales, and certainly didn't have wings.
Death tapped him on the shoulder. "Uh, Ranma?"
"What is it?" the martial artist said tersely, not taking his eyes off the dragon. He'd never taken on a dragon before, but he could instinctively tell that the thing was no pushover. He scanned it with his eyes, trying to decide where to strike once it came for him. Maybe a shot to its wings if it starts flying... he thought.
"Do you do this kind of thing often?" Death's voice said behind him, amused. Before Ranma could do or say anything, she stepped in front of him and waved cheerfully at the dragon with the hand that wasn't holding her umbrella. "Hi, Wyvern! Long time no see."
The dragon opened its mouth - Ranma tensed, prepared to dive and knock his guide out of the way if it spouted fire like they always did in the movies - and spoke in a deep, rumbling voice like stone grinding against stone. "Lady Death. Your visits are always welcome."
Huh?
"Is your companion well, my lady?" asked Wyvern, somehow managing to convey polite concern while still sounding like a rock slide in progress. "He seems... nervous." Ranma, having begun to understand just what was going on, frowned sourly.
"It's just his way of saying hello," Death said casually. "Right, Ranma?"
Ranma mumbled something that might have been "Right," but might just as easily have been something unfit for the ears of children. Either way, Death nodded happily, seemingly satisfied.
"Spiffy. Ranma, I want you to meet my brother's gatekeepers," she said, gesturing to each one as she named them. "Wyvern, Hippogriff, and Griffin." The three beasts of legend bowed respectfully.
"Greetings, Lord Ranma," said the hippogriff. "It is our pleasure to welcome you to our master's abode."
"Uh, hi," replied Ranma. He felt that the expression of confusion plastered across his face would never quite disappear. It wasn't everyday he was addressed as a lord by a winged horse. Some things were just too strange, even for Ranma Saotome. "Nice to meet you, too."
Death took his hand again before he could embarrass himself further. "Come on, Ranma," she said, leading him into the doorway. "I told you we were late, didn't I?" For his part, Ranma said nothing, instead eyeing the wyvern nervously as he passed it by, still not quite trusting that it didn't want Barbecued Ranma Saotome for dinner.
---
Of all the weird places I've been, this one really takes the cake. Even places like Ryugenzawa and Jusenkyo don't hold a candle to some of the stuff I'm seeing right now. A guy with a pumpkin for a head just walked past me. And I think he was drunk.
Death don't seem to mind at all; I guess she's used to it or something.
There's a raven talking with a guy in white, leaning against a doorway. The guy has a neat pair of shades on, and his white hair looks pretty natural to me. I dunno what they're talking about, but it probably ain't nothing nice, seeing as how the raven is ruffling its feathers, and the guy with shades is frowning.
Strange, now that I'm close enough to hear them, I can swear there's four people talking. One of them is the raven, and the second's the guy in white, but there's two voices speaking with him, too. They sound kinda buzzy, like mosquitoes sound when they get too close to your ears. Something about those two voices gives me the creeps. In fact, I'll admit that they scare the shit out of me, man among men be damned. There's just something about the man that's wrong, like-
The guy stops talking suddenly, and turns to look at me. When I say look, I mean, he turned to face me, because I can't see his eyes behind his sunglasses. He keeps on staring at me, and I stare back, and suddenly I get hit by the thought that the guy don't have any eyes. I dunno why the idea sticks in my head, but I can't get it out.
He peels himself off the wall and stands straight, and then I know I'm in trouble. The way he's holding himself screams danger. I'm a martial artist, yeah, probably even the best in my generation. I went toe to toe with guys who claimed to be gods and descendents of dragons, and managed to come out on top. But that don't mean I don't know it when I'm outta my league.
Something about the guy in white says that he just can't lose. At least, not to anything human. I dunno how to put it. I might be more skilled, stronger, probably faster to boot. His body ain't nothing to write home about. But there's still something inside me that knows what this guy is, and it's telling me I can't beat it, not if I trained a million years. Almost like the guy was made to beat me.
He takes another step forward, and a part of me wonders what happens when dead people die.
---
Death stepped smoothly in between Ranma and the man in white, shooting the latter a glare that would have made most men faint on the spot. "That's quite enough, nightmare," she snapped, showing the first emotion besides cheerful good nature since Ranma had met her. "Don't you have anything better to be doing?"
The Corinthian - who, being something altogether different from and a great deal worse than a man, had not fainted - chuckled. "Now that you mention it, my lady," he said, "I do seem to remember a pressing affair that had somehow slipped my mind." He slipped off his sunglasses and winked at Ranma, who flinched at the sharp clack of teeth coming together despite himself. "See you around, Ranma."
"Who... what was that?" Ranma asked hesitantly, as the Corinthian disappeared into a side hallway, the raven flying away through a nearby window. Though he'd never admit it, the encounter had left him shaken. Death frowned and said nothing, an expression of mild distaste on her face.
"The darker side of humanity, Ranma," she finally said, and left it at that.
Wordlessly, the martial artist followed her as she started walking again. The silence stood until they reached a modestly sized room, decorated by large stained glass windows. A short flight of stairs led to an elevated platform in the center of the room, hosting two chairs and a wooden table.
A man with shockingly white skin and hair, dressed in equally white robes, sat waiting in the larger chair. He inclined his head slightly, acknowledging their presence. "My sister." His voice was like the dark between the stars.
"Good morning, Dream," Death said, having seemingly regained her cheery disposition. "This is Ranma. Ranma, this is my brother, Dream." Ranma stared at the pale man, nonplussed. Sitting still, Dream could have been carved out of marble, if not for the telltale subtle rise and fall of his chest as he breathed.
"Umm. Hi, Dream," Ranma said hesitantly. Inwardly, he groaned and thought, I have to work on my hellos somehow. This is getting old. "Nice to meet you."
The ghost of a smile flickered across Dream's face before disappearing like the morning fog. "The pleasure is mine, Ranma Saotome."
"I think I'll let you two get to know each other better," said Death brightly. She made not the slightest attempt to conceal the fact she was leaving them together on purpose. "I'll be back in a bit." Before Ranma could even think of raising a hand to stop her, she turned and disappeared around a corner.
Ranma stood still for a moment, unsure of what to do. He'd be the first to admit that his people skills left much to be desired. Dream seemed to sense his distress and gestured to the smaller chair. "Please sit."
Seating himself in the chair, which was much more comfortable than it had looked, Ranma fidgeted uneasily. "So, Dream, was it?" Dream simply nodded, once, not showing the slightest bit of interest in saying anything. Ranma could feel the sweat start to break out in fine beads on his forehead. "Your sis is a nice person," he blurted desperately, searching blindly for an icebreaker.
Luckily, it seemed to have been the right thing to say. "Indeed, she is," Dream said, that ghostly smile appearing and vanishing just as quickly as before. "Would you like something to drink?"
Surprised by the sudden question, Ranma named the first thing that came to mind. "Orange juice."
Wordlessly, Dream produced a pitcher of the stuff and poured some into a pair of tall glasses. Taking one for himself, he motioned for Ranma to take the other. The martial artist took a cautious taste, blinked, grinned in surprise. "Hey! This tastes just like the stuff Ucchan gave me back when we were kids!"
Dream nodded, taking a small sip from his own glass and then setting it down on the table. "That is because it is, Ranma. You dreamed of it once, the day after your father took you away from your friend. I remembered it, as I remember all dreams."
Ranma paused, processing the meaning of his words. "You must be pretty old, then." A nod. "You don't look that old to me," he observed.
"I am younger than my elder brother and sister, and older than my other siblings," Dream said simply, and didn't expand. Ranma thought about it for a moment, realized that it told him absolutely nothing meaningful, and frowned. Dream surprised him, though, by adding another comment.
"I am also the youngest of my family."
Ranma blinked.
"I have existed since the first dreamer closed its eyes," the Dream King explained, spreading his arms apart. "This is true. I was also, once, a child named Daniel Hall." He paused for a moment. "This is also true."
In response, Ranma nodded the nod of complete and utter ignorance.
"The Endless - my siblings and I - embody various aspects of the universe, Ranma. As a rule, we do not die easily, and in the event we are destroyed, we are replaced by another aspect of ourselves. My predecessor died through a series of circumstances which were at once completely avoidable and yet inescapable."
Ranma stared at the man in white sitting across from him. "I'd like it if you could say that again, in a language I can understand," he said numbly. If the man attacked him with long words anymore, he thought he might explode.
The Dream King's lips twitched in what might or might not have been a smirk. "I am the second one to bear the moniker of Dream of the Endless," he said.
Another blank look. "And?"
"I- My first incarnation," Dream started, "gathered many names and many identities. He transformed himself as the need took him, yet the change was ever superficial, ever a guise worn over himself like a piece of clothing. In the last years of his existence, he started truly changing, a process which he found painful and not altogether to his liking." The pale man held up the emerald which hung around his neck and stared darkly into its depths. "There were limits to how much he could let himself change."
"He set into motion events which would ensure an aspect of his choosing - one able to do what he could not - would take up the name of Dream, once he died," he continued. "As I said before, I was a child at the time. The process which took place at the moment of Dream's death transformed me. Daniel Hall was gone, and in his place stood Dream of the Endless."
"What happened then?" Ranma asked, unable to suppress the slight shudder that passed through him. The idea of being taken over by a foreign entity was not a pleasant one.
"I am not Daniel Hall, nor the first Dream, but rather an amalgam of the two. I know everything the latter knew, but I am... different. How much of either remains after my alternation I do not know."
Ranma frowned quizzically, struggling to understand the other man's words properly. "So lemme get this straight. Part of you's really old, another part of you's a kid, and now you're one person, right?"
It was Dream's turn to pause, surprised. "I suppose you could put it that way," he said slowly.
With a shrug, Ranma picked up his glass of juice and finished it off, smacking his lips. "Ahh, that's better. I seen weirder things, Dream. No biggie." The martial artist peered curiously at Dream over the rim of his glass. "Err... This kinda thing happen a lot?"
Dream shook his head and said, "Only twice since the beginning of the universe have the Endless lost one of their number." He paused for a second, then added, "One other could also be said to be lost, though my elder sister did not take him."
"So what's that guy doing?" Ranma asked.
"I do not know." Dream replied shortly.
A short, uncomfortable silence passed. At length, Dream passed another filled glass to Ranma. The martial artist accepted it wordlessly.
"The dream of humanity has always been to exceed its limits," Dream said abruptly. "What they do not know - what the few who do manage to fulfill that unattainable dream do - is that in the process of doing so, they often lose what made them human in the first place." His voice betrayed no outward emotion, yet at the same time seemed infinitely sad for some reason.
"I guess you could look at it that way, but then again, I think that what makes you human is how you think about yourself," said Ranma carefully, struggling for the words. "I mean, you're different from the guy who came before you, right?"
"In some ways, yes, but undeniably similar in many more," Dream replied. "All that was mortal in Daniel Hall was burned away. What remained took on the aspect of Dream."
Ranma pressed on stubbornly. "Well, then who says the stuff that's left ain't human? Because it's not mortal? Them philosopher guys always go on about the immortal soul, right? Sure, what's left might be a bit different," he said. "But it's still you, whether you're that kid called Daniel or Dream or whatever. You're what you decide you are." He paused, gathering his thoughts. "You said all that stuff about changing. Ever stop to think that your idea about what makes humans human could do with some changing too?"
"But it is the nature of what I am-" Dream started to say, then stopped as Ranma cut him off with a sharp chopping motion of his hand.
"Why d'you have to keep on making up complicated excuses?" Ranma demanded testily. "If you think you're human, then you are, and that's all there is to it."
For the first time in a very long time, Dream of the Endless found himself at a loss for words. Ranma drank the rest of his juice as Dream pondered what the pigtailed boy had told him. At last, he said, "I had not considered that."
"Perhaps it is possible to become more than human without losing one's humanity." The Dream King rose from his seat, motioning for Ranma to do the same. The martial artist let out the breath he'd been holding and grinned; it seemed he'd actually managed to make someone feel better, instead of sticking his foot into his mouth like he usually did. "Time shall tell whether or not you were correct in your theory, Ranma Saotome."
Dream looked up at the ceiling. "Sister."
"Done talking?" Death asked, having suddenly appeared out of nowhere in front of Dream. The Endless answered with a nod, Ranma following suit after a moment's hesitation.
"It was a most... enlightening conversation for us both," added Dream, something that could have been amusement lurking deep in his voice.
"Just peachy," said Death sincerely. She turned to face Ranma and snagged his hand again. "That means you're ready to go again, right?"
Ranma blinked. Just what's the reason behind this tour of the family? "Again?"
"Of course," Death said, unruffled by the martial artist's perturbation. "It's not like Dream is my only sibling, right?"
So calmly and casually, so matter-of-factly was this said, that Ranma found himself nodding in comprehension. A moment later, he started, realizing that it had done nothing at all to answer his question, but it was already too late. Having seen his nod, Death had turned to face Dream and was looking at him expectantly.
"Follow me," Dream said, turning around. They did so, arriving at a small room, devoid of decoration except for a series of seven portrait frames. Walking towards the last one, he pressed his palm against it.
"Delirium? I stand in my gallery. I lay my hand on your sigil. Will you answer me?" he intoned. Not long after, a voice filled the air. How it managed to do so, Ranma didn't know, but he could have sworn that it somehow sounded... polka dot pink.
"Dream? Umm. I think I will. I am right now, right?" the voice said. It lilted wildly, without reason. "Did you just call me because you're bored and stuff or is it because Death and this martial artist guy are standing there with you and they wanna come visit me?"
If Dream felt any surprise at Delirium's observation, he didn't show it. "That is precisely it, sister. Will you allow them passage into your realm?"
"You have to make the guy promise he won't turn into a statue with fizzy chocolate clothes and purple sprinkles."
Death gave Ranma a sidelong glance, a look that said, Don't ask. Just do it. Ranma shrugged and-
"Or a pretty redheaded girl," the tilted voice added, as an afterthought.
-gulped, swallowing his words.
Death sighed and said, "He promises to do his best, Del." There was a short silence, as if someone was thinking something over.
"Okay. You can come in now. Just don't step on the doggie. He bites. People. Lots."
---
Next chapter: Delirium
Last edited by Bjorn on Mon May 01, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bjorn
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dark Magic » Mon May 01, 2006 1:20 pm

I've only read so much of the Sandman comic but so far I think its pretty much in character.
My only question is that Ranma seems much more knowledgable in this then in the actual series.
But still I can't wait to see more.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Forum Troll » Mon May 01, 2006 2:13 pm

The visit to delirium's realm should be fun.
Couple observations on the Sandman part of things, I've read the books several times, so might have some useful observations.
Death: pretty good characterization imo, though I'm not sure if she would get angry with the Corinthian or just tell him to knock it off. It depends on if the Corinthian was an actual threat or just messing with Ranma.
The Corinthian: something seemed off with the interaction with him, it seemed more like the original Corinthian rather than the new one, but I haven't read parts with him in a while so I can't really say what is off =/
Merv: probably would have tried to pick a fight or said something to irritate Ranma, though if he is drunk he might have just wandered off before that happened.
Lucien was rather conspicuous in his absence, though that can be explained by him being out for various reasons, he has had to do it before.
Also Cain and Abel almost scream for an omake =)
Overall very nice, and again I am looking forward to Delirium's realm, though I don't envy writing her dialogue =)
Starting to get an inkling of where this is going, now just to wait and see if I am right =)
Forum Troll
Forum Troll
Senshi Candidate

Postby Bjorn » Mon May 01, 2006 4:35 pm

My only question is that Ranma seems much more knowledgable in this then in the actual series.

Really? And here I was, thinking I'd dumbed him down far too much. :P D'you mind telling me just which parts seem unnatural?
Death: pretty good characterization imo, though I'm not sure if she would get angry with the Corinthian or just tell him to knock it off. It depends on if the Corinthian was an actual threat or just messing with Ranma.
The Corinthian: something seemed off with the interaction with him, it seemed more like the original Corinthian rather than the new one, but I haven't read parts with him in a while so I can't really say what is off =/

Come to think of it, yes, he does come off a lot more like the first. But if you take the time to think about it, the second Corinthian is only shown (for the most part) interacting with non-humans. Since he was made to play on the darker side of the human mind, I couldn't help but wonder if he wouldn't act like that, meeting a normal human being he'd been given no specific orders about. Death's reaction was to a nightmare who had an invested interest in dining on her charge's eyeballs.
Merv: probably would have tried to pick a fight or said something to irritate Ranma, though if he is drunk he might have just wandered off before that happened.

Merv is simply an idiot. *laughs*
Lucien was rather conspicuous in his absence, though that can be explained by him being out for various reasons, he has had to do it before.
Also Cain and Abel almost scream for an omake =)

Ah, you got me. I have very little idea of how to write any of those three without making them sound incredibly stereotyped. Therefore I just left them out. Maybe I'll add a scene or two later...
Overall very nice, and again I am looking forward to Delirium's realm, though I don't envy writing her dialogue =)

Even the little bit that appears at the end of the chapter gave me a headache.
Starting to get an inkling of where this is going, now just to wait and see if I am right =)

People seem to be far too smart for their own good. *groans*
Thank you. Did anything seem to be off about Dream or Ranma? I notice you didn't comment on those two.
Bjorn
Senshi Cadet

Re: At the End of the Tunnel (2/8)

Postby Dark Magic » Mon May 01, 2006 5:06 pm

Bjorn wrote:Ranma paused, processing the meaning of his words. "You must be pretty old, then." A nod. "You don't look that old to me," he observed.
"I am younger than my elder brother and sister, and older than my other siblings," Dream said simply, and didn't expand. Ranma thought about it for a moment, realized that it told him absolutely nothing meaningful, and frowned. Dream surprised him, though, by adding another comment.
Ranma blinked.
"I have existed since the first dreamer closed its eyes," the Dream King explained, spreading his arms apart. "This is true. I was also, once, a child named Daniel Hall." He paused for a moment. "This is also true."
"The Endless - my siblings and I - embody various aspects of the universe, Ranma. As a rule, we do not die easily, and in the event we are destroyed, we are replaced by another aspect of ourselves. My predecessor died through a series of circumstances which were at once completely avoidable and yet inescapable."
Ranma stared at the man in white sitting across from him. "I'd like it if you could say that again, in a language I can understand," he said numbly. If the man attacked him with long words anymore, he thought he might explode.
The Dream King's lips twitched in what might or might not have been a smirk. "I am the second one to bear the moniker of Dream of the Endless," he said.
Ranma grinned. "Now you're talking. So part of you's really old, another part of you's a kid, and now you're one person, right?"
It was Dream's turn to pause, surprised. "I suppose you could put it that way," he said slowly.

That right there seems to me as kinda of odd. I don't see Ranma getting the meaning of what Dream meant from what he said.
But I do like how you made Ranma stubborn about his idea of what you dream about humanity. That is very much in character.
Overall I think Ranma is in character just somethings Ranma said seemed out of character in some of the things he said but like I said overall I think he was in character.
Last edited by Dark Magic on Mon May 01, 2006 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Bjorn » Mon May 01, 2006 5:08 pm

I see. That was actually one of the parts I had worried was rushed. I guess I'll have to work on it a little before it's good to go. Thanks.
Anything else?
Bjorn
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dark Magic » Mon May 01, 2006 5:35 pm

It wasn't even really that bad. Just for some reason that stuck out in my mind as seeming a bit odd. But overall I think the characters and everything else was very well writen.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Steiner » Mon May 01, 2006 6:26 pm

Little spelling error,
"didn't know, but he could have sword that it somehow sounded... polka dot pink. "
I'm pretty sure you meant "sworn" ^.^
Wiki'd up on the Endless (godsdarn, I love Wikipedia)
As for characters - Can't really say a lot about the Endless, thanks to me being an avid Ranma but not dc fan
Ranma - We don't know "how much time" has passed since [reference point] to judge how much his character could have/has changed, but his adaptability and being the closest thing to a master/slave to the madness of Nerima should make him impervious to anything but the worst of surprises, one of them being a dragon that looks like .
I think this chapter is fully well deserving a 1A, since Ranma acts as I'd expect him to act, friendly, yet constantly ready to spring into action and battle.
The point that makes this chapter so nice is that Ranma understands and accepts that there is something he -can not- beat (Nightmare). Few people ever take into account that behind the boy-man that lives for strife is someone who can at least notice when he's totally outclassed (Unlike Mr. Fangs-And-Pork)
Ranma/Dream: Why should he not understand someone who has a dual nature? Ranma/Ranko , the constant hiding, the rigidly honor-abiding martial artist and on the other hand someone who would stoop to -anything- to win? What do they say? "It takes a fraud to know one"?
Maybe it's the same with "deeply troubled people" :)
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever." - O'Brien
Steiner
Senshi Candidate

Postby Dark Magic » Mon May 01, 2006 9:02 pm

I'm not saying Ranma wouldn't understand what Dream would mean. I'm saying that Ranma wouldn't understand what Dream meant because of the way that Dream said it. I think he would have to spell it out more then that to make Ranma understand his nature is all.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Bjorn » Mon May 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Troll: I read my copies of the Kindly Ones over again, and I don't think my Corinthian is that far off from Gaiman's. I hope. Eh. I dunno.
-
Steiner: Thank you for that. Strange, seeing as 'd' is nowhere near 'n'.
Also thank you for your view on the Ranma here.
Murlocs and Kodos? I prefer Qiraji. :P
-
Here's a revised version of the conversation between Dream and Ranma.
---
Ranma blinked.
Another blank look. "And?"
"I- My first incarnation," Dream started, "gathered many names and many identities. He transformed himself as the need took him, yet the change was ever superficial, ever a guise worn over himself like a piece of clothing. In the last years of his existence, he started truly changing, a process which he found painful and not altogether to his liking." The pale man held up the emerald which hung around his neck and stared darkly into its depths. "There were limits to how much he could let himself change."
"He set into motion events which would ensure an aspect of his choosing - one able to do what he could not - would take up the name of Dream, once he died," he continued. "As I said before, I was a child at the time. The process which took place at the moment of Dream's death transformed me. Daniel Hall was gone, and in his place stood Dream of the Endless."
"What happened then?" Ranma asked, unable to suppress the slight shudder that passed through him. The idea of being taken over by a foreign entity was not a pleasant one.
"I am not Daniel Hall, nor the first Dream, but rather an amalgam of the two. I know everything the latter knew, but I am... different. How much of either remains after my alternation I do not know."
Ranma frowned quizzically, struggling to understand the other man's words properly. "So lemme get this straight. Part of you's really old, another part of you's a kid, and now you're one person, right?"
With a shrug, Ranma picked up his glass of juice and finished it off, smacking his lips. "Ahh, that's better. I seen weirder things, Dream. No biggie." The martial artist peered curiously at Dream over the rim of his glass. "Err... This kinda thing happen a lot?"
Dream shook his head and said, "Only twice since the beginning of the universe have the Endless lost one of their number." He paused for a second, then added, "One other could also be said to be lost, though my elder sister did not take him."
"So what's that guy doing?" Ranma asked.
"I do not know." Dream replied shortly.
A short, uncomfortable silence passed. At length, Dream passed another filled glass to Ranma. The martial artist accepted it wordlessly.
"The dream of humanity has always been to exceed its limits," Dream said abruptly. "What they do not know - what the few who do manage to fulfill that unattainable dream do - is that in the process of doing so, they often lose what made them human in the first place." His voice betrayed no outward emotion, yet at the same time seemed infinitely sad for some reason.
"I guess you could look at it that way, but then again, I think that what makes you human is how you think about yourself," said Ranma carefully, struggling for the words. "I mean, you're different from the guy who came before you, right?"
"In some ways, yes, but undeniably similar in many more," Dream replied. "All that was mortal in Daniel Hall was burned away. What remained took on the aspect of Dream."
Ranma pressed on stubbornly. "Well, then who says the stuff that's left ain't human? Because it's not mortal? Them philosopher guys always go on about the immortal soul, right? Sure, what's left might be a bit different," he said. "But it's still you, whether you're that kid called Daniel or Dream or whatever. You're what you decide you are." He paused, gathering his thoughts. "You said all that stuff about changing. Ever stop to think that your idea about what makes humans human could do with some changing too?"
"But it is the nature of what I am-" Dream started to say, then stopped as Ranma cut him off with a sharp chopping motion of his hand.
"Why d'you have to keep on making up complicated excuses?" Ranma demanded testily. "If you think you're human, then you are, and that's all there is to it."
For the first time in a very long time, Dream of the Endless found himself at a loss for words. Ranma drank the rest of his juice as Dream pondered what the pigtailed boy had told him. At last, he said, "I had not considered that."
"Perhaps it is possible to become more than human without losing one's humanity." The Dream King rose from his seat, motioning for Ranma to do the same. The martial artist let out the breath he'd been holding and grinned; it seemed he'd actually managed to make someone feel better, instead of sticking his foot into his mouth like he usually did. "Time shall tell whether or not you were correct in your theory, Ranma Saotome."
Bjorn
Senshi Cadet

Postby mondu_the_fat » Mon May 01, 2006 9:13 pm

I'm a great fan of Sandman, and I love this.
Makes me wonder what Death is up to, though, dragging Ranma around.
Maybe replace Destruction?
mondu_the_fat
Asteroid Senshi

Postby Dark Magic » Mon May 01, 2006 9:17 pm

I like the second version better then the first. The way Dream explains it to Ranma I think is alot better then the orginal. Very nice. Can't wait to see more.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Bjorn » Mon May 01, 2006 9:36 pm

I'm a great fan of Sandman, and I love this.
Makes me wonder what Death is up to, though, dragging Ranma around.
Maybe replace Destruction?

Sincerely glad that you liked it. And that would be telling. :P
I like the second version better then the first. The way Dream explains it to Ranma I think is alot better then the orginal.

To tell the truth, I kept on wondering whether or not half of what Dream said would just fly over Ranma's head, but I guess he's not that dumb. Glad to know you think it's better.
Bjorn
Senshi Cadet

Postby Dark Magic » Mon May 01, 2006 9:51 pm

I think some of the words Dream used might have just flown over Ranma's head but I think Ranma would understand what Dream would mean when he explained what Dream was.
Dark Magic
Chibi Sailor Senshi

Postby Atlan » Tue May 02, 2006 12:35 am

Well, i've read all the ranma, none of this "Sandman", and I'm managing to understand what's happening- though Delerium is kinda confusing.
As for ranma being too knologable, i dissagree. Ranma tends to, through lack of commen sense and the habit of speaking the first thing he thinks, say things that are suprisingly insightfull.
The charectirization for ranma looks good, though i can't speak for anyone else being true to their origional "sandman", I can say that they're being consistent and intresting in this fic.
About being human if you think you are- read a webcomic where a guy made a robot out of his x-box. The X-bot wanted to be human, so the inventor put a human chip in it. the X-bot said "oh, i'm human now! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside"
But the inventor had lied, and just put a ball of lint inside the robot, saying "well, if he thinks he's human, he is. And i handycapped his halo skills while i was at it."
Not teribly relevent, but you might find it intresting. www.cad-comic.com
The Banana, the Atheist's Nightmare:

God made it with a non-slip surface, a color coded system so we know when to eat it, and an easy open tab at the top of the banana. It's just the right shape for a mouth and is easy to digest!!
Atlan
Asteroid Senshi

Next

Return to Stories and C&C