Serpent of Light 03 Final Scene

This is for posting Fiction and C&C replies ONLY. Note this does not have to be a "fukufic" or evenfanfiction. All longform creative writing allowed. Replying posts must give actual commentary, no "GREAT IDEA" or "THIS SUCKS".

Serpent of Light 03 Final Scene

Postby MiriOhki » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:01 am

I've had most of this chapter written up for ages, but I've not had much time or coherency available to try to finish it. I knew I wanted to finish with Ranma's flying lesson, however. And suddenly, this came to mind, and it just /screamed/ Ranma all over. Let me know what you think?
---
“Hrm. Flying lessons... I could probably teach that one,” Ranko muttered to herself. “Considering how much time I've logged.”
“You've flown before?” Sakura asked, an eyebrow raised.
“Lots of times in the last two years. Most of them involuntarily. By a guy-hating gorilla-tomboy who never listens to a word I say,” Ranko replied.
-
Half a world a way, a blue-black-haired girl arguing with her sister was interrupted by a rather large sneeze.
-
Sakura looked at Ranma sceptically, but replied, “Well, I assure you, this flight is entirely voluntary and controlled. In most cases anyway.”
“Great. I'll believe it when I see it.”
An hour later, the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws found themselves in the courtyard, standing over rickety old brooms as Madame Hooch explained to them the safety rules for flying. Unlike a certain first flying class from the previous year, it started rather smoothly. Everyone was capable of getting their brooms to lift in a short amount of time and nobody was hurt. It was after a few minutes that things got... weird.
Ranko began to put the broom through it's paces, curious as to what it could do. Nobody was paying particular attention to it, except for three people, Madame Hooch, who was a bit irked at Ranko's seeming lack of attention to her surroundings, one of the seventh year Ravenclaw Beaters, who was watching it with great interest, and an ancient woman who watched with both amazement and amusement at her student.
It was when Ranko began to, at least in Madame Hooch's eyes, show off to an excessive degree. Evidently she didn't know Ranko too well as the redhead began to develop a kata on the spot specifically for riding a broom. The Instructor called out to the girl with some heat, but Ranko was lost in her own world as she stood upon her broom, flying through an energetic exercise without the slightest appearance of losing control. Most of the students were staring at the girl now with two words in their minds, 'she's crazy!', though whether they were referring to her ignoring Hooch or her now utterly insane stunts on her broom.
As the girl made a low pass, the instructor attempted to fire a stopping spell at her. Ranko proceeded to flip, perform a one-hand-stand upon her broom and dodge the hex by a good inch. While hand-standing on the broom, she swung her foot out in a whistling arc that would have nailed a man standing on the ground right between the eyes, and even at her young age, quite likely knocked the person cold. To Madame Hooch, however, it merely looked like a taunting gesture, and with some fury, fired a series of stunners, all dodged smoothly in motions that looked completely and totally natural, as if the improvised kata was designed solely for that purpose.
Madame Hooch quickly raced her broom toward the student as Ranko tore directly for the wall. The instructor's heart pounded as she saw her student refusing to turn. At the last second, the broom turned sharply, moving parallel to the wall, as Ranko leapt off the broom, ran along the wall and leapt off with a crescent kick, before reaching back to grab the broom with both hands, swinging over it as though in a gymnastics meet, then coming back to her single handstand. Madame Hooch stared in shock as she stopped her broom.
Ranko finally moved back toward her fellow students, flipping with one hand into the air, then resting one foot on the broomstick, her body smoothly in a crane-stance. The broom stopped and stayed in place, its rider not moving a muscle save the rising and falling of her chest with smooth breaths as, save for a few applauding Hufflepuffs, nobody moved or said a word. The only sounds were those clapping hands, and raucous rasping laughter from the ancient Chinese woman.
Xiomora Hooch had never seen such a disgusting (read: beautiful), absurd (read: graceful), reckless (read: incredible) show of complete tom-foolery (read: skill) in her entire life. The professor in her wanted to dock Ravenclaw one thousand points and have Ranko thrown into Azkaban if she ever so much as looked at a broom again. The flyer in her, however, could only look on in complete and absolute wonder, utter respect, and a slight hint of envy, that not only could this girl do things to that creaky, half-useless Cleensweap 3 that would make one think she was on a top of the line Nimbus model, but that she could do so and look so completely, utterly and totally natural doing so, that even birds looked gawky and awkward in the air in comparison.
And the seventh-year Beater dashed toward the Charms classroom as if his backside were on fire and all Voldemort's Death Eaters were trying to put it out with Killing Curses.
---
“No,” Ranko said to Professor Flitwick a few hours later. Madame Hooch was so flustered and torn, that she merely docked the girl three points for refusing to listen to her instructor's orders, which confused all the rest of the students, while Ranko was merely embarassed for her lapse.
Meanwhile, his Head-Of-House was trying to wheedle, cajole and was fairly close to outright begging the girl to try out for the Quidditch team. After all if Harry Potter could do so in his first year, and he had merely performed one simple (if flawless, from what he heard) dive, there was no way anyone could gainsay having the young Ravenclaw on his own Team.
Ranko, however, was being completely obstinant. She did not see any reason to be on a team for a sport she had very little interest in. Sure, she would get to fly a lot more often, and she was very much all for that, but a team environment just wasn't her, she thought. The few times she had been on a team, she was leading a pack of hooligans and nutcases who usually wanted his head (or repeatedly donated genetic legacy, depending on which people you asked in which form), and with Cho on the team, she could see little changing about that.
“Professor, I don't /want/ to play. I'd rather be studying!” Ranko paused. “Boy, would the teachers at Furinkan flip if they heard me say that...” She couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity. Mundane schools, Furinkan in particular, either bored her to tears or slumber (The latter more likely) or were deathtraps in general. Hogwart's, on the other hand, was incredibly fun, save for the fortunately aborted DADA class with Inoshishi-baka and the sleep-inducing History of Magic class with Binns-sensei.
“But Ranko, please, we need help and two of the team are leaving this year. You're a natural!” Filius tried appealing to her vanity.
“I'm a natural martial artist, not someone who goes chasing after golden sna.. snitches or plays target practice for bludgeons,” Ranko protested.
“Bludgers,” Filius corrected.
“The point is,” Ranko continued, thinking 'if I don't hurry, I'm going to be late. I really don't want to do this, but...' “I just don't want to do it and don't have the time... Uh, Professor, your desk's on fire!”
And as the diminutive instructor turned toward his desk, Ranko promptly executed the Saotome Secret Technique and ran for her next class.
MiriOhki
Senshi Candidate

Postby DCG » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:38 am

cute, Now how long befoer flit begs colonge to help him get ranko on the team.
DCG
Fukufics Staffer

Postby Dumbledork » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:35 pm

Excellent addition to the chapter. A lot of fun. This story has a lot of untapped potential and I like the fact that it's a comedy and not as serious as the usual Ranma/HP crossovers.
Dumbledork
Prism Power Senshi

Postby RanmaRS » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:48 am

An excellent ending to chapter 3.
There isn't much to comment here other than the ending doesn't leave much cliff-hanger to give any C&C on future chapter.
Not that I like cliff-hanger mind you. :wink:
Any plan to cross with the main story soon or will the next chapter still be in the sideline for the next few chapters?
Incase you're low on ideas, how about a few side story on the Nerima crew.
Eg. Akane & Nabiki's quest for mushroom.
RanmaRS
Initiate

serpent of light story 3

Postby nova » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 pm

it is a good chapter and wonder what is going on back at nermia with the tendos after ranma left to go to magic school.
nova
Senshi Candidate

Return to Stories and C&C